CIA Director Petraeus Resigns, Cites Extra-Marital Affair [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : CIA Director Petraeus Resigns, Cites Extra-Marital Affair

Captain Ron
11-09-2012, 13:12
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/national-international/NATL-CIA-Director-Petraeus-Resigns-Cites-Extra-Marital-Affair-178159541.html

Sam Spade
11-09-2012, 13:15
Very interesting. I don't know whether my respect for him just went up or down.

Mr981
11-09-2012, 13:26
3 days after the election he decides to quit over an affair--hmmm.
One more thing that was kept quiet until the election was done? I got a feeling this isn't the only other post-election surprise we'll learn about in the next few weeks.

Dr. Leaky
11-09-2012, 13:35
Throughout the Benghazi thing I kept wondering how it was that he didn't have anything to say. So it turns out they had this on him? Maybe now we'll hear what he has to say...

Captain Ron
11-09-2012, 13:37
I wonder if this has any thing to do with Benghazi gate??

Sam Spade
11-09-2012, 13:42
I wonder if this has any thing to do with Benghazi gate??

That's part of my confusion. His statements were in direct contradiction of those from the guys on the ground, and in direct support of the Administration.

I said at the time that I couldn't see how the General could remain part of that Administration. The timing of his departure and the (so far) weak explanation do nothing to clarify the issues.

Magnus2131
11-09-2012, 13:44
Arte Johnson - Very interesting - YouTube.flv - YouTube

Annoyedgrunt
11-09-2012, 13:45
Surprised that guy even had time for an affair. Isn't he the one who made it a point to only sleep four hours a night because he was such a hard-charger during the day?

Carrys
11-09-2012, 13:46
Aww man.

All this "stuff" slaping us in the face and yet no one wants to connect the dots.

I've never seen a clearer case of cognitive dissonance in my life, I say.

gwalchmai
11-09-2012, 13:51
I never understand how people in such positions don't understand the importance of keeping their peckers in their pants. You just don't get to such a position without knowing how the game is played, so why risk it? But of course the answer is that you don't get there without being the kind of guy who thinks he can get away with it.

It's a damn shame, though.

Ragnar
11-09-2012, 14:17
Surprised that guy even had time for an affair. Isn't he the one who made it a point to only sleep four hours a night because he was such a hard-charger during the day?

One doesn't need to sleep to have an affair.

HINT: one doesn't generally sleep while having sex. Although in your case it might be different. :supergrin:

Glocksanity
11-09-2012, 14:38
I never understand how people in such positions don't understand the importance of keeping their peckers in their pants. You just don't get to such a position without knowing how the game is played, so why risk it? But of course the answer is that you don't get there without being the kind of guy who thinks he can get away with it.

Much of our ruling elite actually participate in pedophilia and that is then used to blackmail them. As a matter of fact, most of the elite cannot rise to levels of power if they are NOT blackmailable. That is how they are controlled. The good guys don't stand a chance.

Go ask the Cherry Marines.

11-09-2012, 14:49
Didn't Petraeus have to testify about Libya in the not too distant future?

I guess it doesn't matter now.

Mrs. VR
11-09-2012, 15:06
Good. Lord. The Army needs to start putting its generals on a short leash!

Geko45
11-09-2012, 15:15
Good. Lord. The Army needs to start putting its generals on a short leash!

I don't know. It seems to be their "short leash" that's getting them into trouble.

Annoyedgrunt
11-09-2012, 15:16
Much of our ruling elite actually participate in pedophilia and that is then used to blackmail them. As a matter of fact, most of the elite cannot rise to levels of power if they are NOT blackmailable. That is how they are controlled. The good guys don't stand a chance.

Go ask the Cherry Marines.

Every time I start thinking that my saturation point for stupidity in GNG reaches the limit, I read something like this. :faint:

I don't even know where to start. So, all I have to do to become a member of the "ruling elite" is to molest kids? And who or what are the "Cherry Marines"? Are you talking about Marines based at MCAS Cherry Point, N.C.? What do they have to do with ANYTHING related to this thread, pedophilia, or the "ruling elite"?

Do elucidate, please. I'd love to hear you expound on either one of these trains of "thought".

RonS
11-09-2012, 15:22
No point in posting anything, the lemmings won't believe it and everyone else already knows.

gwalchmai
11-09-2012, 15:32
Every time I start thinking that my saturation point for stupidity in GNG reaches the limit, I read something like this. :faint:

I don't even know where to start. So, all I have to do to become a member of the "ruling elite" is to molest kids? And who or what are the "Cherry Marines"? Are you talking about Marines based at MCAS Cherry Point, N.C.? What do they have to do with ANYTHING related to this thread, pedophilia, or the "ruling elite"?

Do elucidate, please. I'd love to hear you expound on either one of these trains of "thought".DFTT, Grunt...

SGT278ACR
11-09-2012, 16:20
Petraeus was over-rated anyway. To say he was one of the greatest generals of our time is ridiculous. He was a "yes man" to who ever was in office. Bush at first, and then Obama. History will never remember him like some our past generals. Patton... McArthur... Bradley... Eisenhower just to think of a few. He might of had a shred of a chance, but now he screwed that up. No pun intended.

CAcop
11-09-2012, 17:02

That was what's his name. The guy who got sacked for trash talking a bunch of people in the chain of command. McSomething.

mac66
11-09-2012, 17:05
Aww man.

All this "stuff" slaping us in the face and yet no one wants to connect the dots.

I've never seen a clearer case of cognitive dissonance in my life, I say.

And now General Betrayus...uh I mean Petraus doesn't have to testify in front of congress next week. How convenient it that?

CAcop
11-09-2012, 17:29
And now General Betrayus...uh I mean Petraus doesn't have to testify in front of congress next week. How convenient it that?

Was he subpoenaed?

If so he still has to go.

Mr981
11-09-2012, 17:53
http://bismarcktribune.com/news/state-and-regional/bismarck-native-profiles-gen-david-petraeus-in-new-book/article_00233308-4b05-11e1-a370-001871e3ce6c.html

Former military officer and West Point grad; I guess something like this would be expected from the likes of a John Edward's mistress, but a married mother of two that has spent a lot of time in the military--likes!

My first thought is how much this sounds like the Jack Welch story--had an affair with his younger biographer and eventually married her. Older guy flattered by attractive younger woman wanting---his retirement check? Or possibly a military groupie, attracted to the persona of the guy that saved the Iraq campaign.

The good General--not sure if something in his life has changed dramatically in the last year or two, but given what he knows about life in his advanced years, where did he think this was going to end? For god's sake, the married CIA director becoming a huge security risk--he didn't think anyone would notice or that it might be a problem?

At face value he did the right thing and resigned; I guess that's the difference between him and a career politician--Clinton; they just stonewall and deny to the bitter end.

RenoF250
11-09-2012, 19:00
http://bismarcktribune.com/news/state-and-regional/bismarck-native-profiles-gen-david-petraeus-in-new-book/article_00233308-4b05-11e1-a370-001871e3ce6c.html

Former military officer and West Point grad; I guess something like this would be expected from the likes of a John Edward's mistress, but a married mother of two that has spent a lot of time in the military--likes!

My first thought is how much this sounds like the Jack Welch story--had an affair with his younger biographer and eventually married her. Older guy flattered by attractive younger woman wanting---his retirement check? Or possibly a military groupie, attracted to the persona of the guy that saved the Iraq campaign.

The good General--not sure if something in his life has changed dramatically in the last year or two, but given what he knows about life in his advanced years, where did he think this was going to end? For god's sake, the married CIA director becoming a huge security risk--he didn't think anyone would notice or that it might be a problem?

At face value he did the right thing and resigned; I guess that's the difference between him and a career politician--Clinton; they just stonewall and deny to the bitter end.

That is a lot of forehead.

HollowHead
11-09-2012, 19:23
The networks tonight all said he will still testify. HH

Averageman
11-09-2012, 19:29
4 stars plus puxxy equals idiot

11-09-2012, 19:31
Was he subpoenaed?

If so he still has to go.
I read somewhere today that Dianne Frankenstein said he won't be called on to testify. He was scheduled to, but now no need. Hmmmm.

C6vetter
11-09-2012, 20:28
That is a lot of forehead.

That's what he said

HollowHead
11-09-2012, 20:33
That's what he said

Generally speaking. :whistling: HH

mac66
11-09-2012, 21:13
I just figured this out.

Petraus's mistress is being investigated by the FBI for accessing classified information. That investigation led back to Petraus. He either gave her access or she got it from him by sleeping with him. The head of the CIA got caught in a "honey trap" the oldest trick in the book. He probably should be prosecuted for compromising national security. Then again who in the Obama administration is ever held accountable for anything?

CAcop
11-09-2012, 21:30
I read somewhere today that Dianne Frankenstein said he won't be called on to testify. He was scheduled to, but now no need. Hmmmm.

DiFi is on the Intel Com. It was probably one of their regular "tell me what's going on in the world" sessions.

prism
11-09-2012, 21:46
did the problem start before he retired from the military?

HollowHead
11-09-2012, 22:22
Then again who in the Obama administration is ever held accountable for anything?

Right. David Patreaus didn't exist before Obama. HH

Altaris
11-09-2012, 22:42

I think part of the issue is that to get to that level of power in any group (corporate or government), your mind has to be wired just a little bit differently than your average person. Along with that comes the attitude/thought that you are above everyone else and above the rules, and therefore can get away with things that most people would consider completely idiotic.

4949shooter
11-10-2012, 04:11
I hope the piece of ass was worth his career, self respect, and marriage.

kenpoprofessor
11-10-2012, 04:56
Watching "Last Resort" yesterday, and it's bringing an eerie sense of what's coming.

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

Narkcop
11-10-2012, 06:24
I don't understand how a President (Clinton) can do anything sexually and it not be a big deal and the CIA Director has to resign. I say it should be between Petraus and his wife and nobody elses business.

Annoyedgrunt
11-10-2012, 07:31
I don't understand how a President (Clinton) can do anything sexually and it not be a big deal and the CIA Director has to resign. I say it should be between Petraus and his wife and nobody elses business.

I beg to differ with this statement; it was a lot more than 'not a big deal' with Clinton.

I was in high school and admittedly not that interested in politics at the time, but all the same you couldn't NOT hear about it, because the press ravaged that story like starving hounds on a T-bone steak (so much for the leftist media covering up for their own.) All we heard about for weeks and months at a time was Ken Starr this and Paula Jones that, blue dress this and cigar that. We got to hear that interview clip nightly: "I did not...have...sex... with that woman... Ms. Lewinsky" and see over and over that clip of him hugging her at that one rally.

And he was damn near impeached for it, too. Hardly what I'd call not a big deal.

mac66
11-10-2012, 07:41
The question now is who is/was the mistress working for? Was she just getting classified material for her book or was she passing it to someone (Russa, China, Israelis?) that caught the attention of the FBI? Lots more to this than meets the eye.

Slug71
11-10-2012, 14:35
Watching "Last Resort" yesterday, and it's bringing an eerie sense of what's coming.

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

Was thinking just that when I started watching the show. Good show!

Slug71
11-11-2012, 14:42
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-20277710

And another.

Slug71
11-11-2012, 14:50
Make that two for Petraeus...

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_PETRAEUS_RESIGNS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

RonS
11-11-2012, 14:56
A few years ago it would never have occurred to me to doubt the news reports. Now it never occurs to me not to doubt them.

Gallium
11-11-2012, 17:17
None of this makes sense.

One member of congress made a call to the FBI about the affair in October
The general apparently is tupping his biographer AND the wife of a friend
He is conveniently asked to resign a few days after a major election

Yeah, everything makes perfect sense.

AA_Khost
11-11-2012, 19:27
IMO General Petraeus has always been a weak leader. Good riddance. :wavey:

Glocksanity
11-11-2012, 20:37

Do elucidate, please. I'd love to hear you expound on either one of these trains of "thought".

The puppet masters require obedience from the political class they appoint. And to keep them in line, they make sure that only the blackmailable get promoted to positions of power. When you step out of line, you are gone. Pedophilia, extra-marital affairs, bribes, are all used to blackmail. Cherry Marines...well use google to find out about them.

Are you really that naive to think that elections are real and politicians do the bidding of their constituents?