Cleaning my GLOCK [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning my GLOCK

mc24
11-09-2012, 17:28
When I clean my GLOCK after shooting, I have been using BreakFree CLP. Is that all I need to use to take care of both cleaning and lubrication or do I need to use some sort of grease for lubrication also. If so. What would you guys suggest. Thanks for any help.

JBnTX
11-09-2012, 17:34
BreakFree by itself is more than enough.

Just make sure it's the CLP (Cleaner, Lubricate and Preservative)
type of BreakFree. They make different kinds.

I use Hoppe's #9 to clean the barrel, breach face and slide,
but everything else is just BreakFree.

Henry's Dad
11-09-2012, 17:41
Duck! Here come the flaming replies telling you to use the search function! "This has been asked a gazzillion times, blah, blah, blah..."

CLP should take care of everything. I like Hoppe's for the barrel. Some recommend a dab of grease on the connector (as opposed to oil) because it sticks better/longer. I use shooter's choice for this.

And no lube in/near/around channel liner or striker.

Just remember, it's a Glock. It won't hate you if you don't clean it.

Steve K.
11-09-2012, 17:45
I only buy/use CLP for all my firearms.

Might try Ballistol since I have to buy more...

SJ 40
11-09-2012, 18:48
I only buy/use CLP for all my firearms.

Might try Ballistol since I have to buy more...It does every thing Break Free CLP does and does it better IMO, goes further for less money. You have to use it as you want to but long ago a chemical engineer acquaintance of mine suggested to mix it 30% Ballistol to 70% Isopropyl Alcohol.
Seeing as he was a long time black powder,muzzle loading shooter I tried it have been mixing that way ever since.
I have been a very satisfied Ballistol user since 1985 who shoots copious amounts of black powder,my guns have no rust black powder or smokeless. SJ 40

E-2-E
11-09-2012, 19:00
When I do clean, Breakfree CLP is it.

TxGlock9
11-09-2012, 19:22
When I clean my GLOCK after shooting, I have been using BreakFree CLP. Is that all I need to use to take care of both cleaning and lubrication or do I need to use some sort of grease for lubrication also. If so. What would you guys suggest. Thanks for any help.

If you're asking if it's good enough than, yes, it is. CLP isn't the best but definitely isn't the worse. For a Glock I am not that anal about what I use. For my 1911 on the other hand I use other cleaners & lubricants.

Police305
11-10-2012, 04:31
Clean it with a gun solution. brush and wipe away all the gun power/dirt. Dry it, then apply some quality gun oil where ever metal meets metal. I also like adding a thin coating of gun oil to my slide, it leaves the gun looking amazing and protects it from rusting.

Arc Angel
11-10-2012, 05:53
Yeah, be careful. Now that Safariland owns Break-Free there really are different gun chemicals being sold under the Break-Free name; and both are in black-colored cans. (I think Wal-Mart and their cheap prices on subtly downgraded merchandise had something to do with this!) One of the Break-Free products is, indeed, 'CLP' (There are both old and new formulae.) and the old, 'Armor Holding' formula contains lubricating PTFE's; but the new, 'Safariland' formula does not. The other Break-Free product is called, 'Powder Blast' and it's a much less powerful version of the original, 'CLP'. Really it's nothing more than bore solvent.

Should you, also, lubricate with some sort of gun grease? I do; and I have for the past 10 years. (Grease does a better job of staying in place.) There are plenty of commercial greases out there that will do the job: white lithium, graphite, Shooter's Choice, Sentry Solutions; and, on occasion, I've even used a few atypical lubricants in order to, 'oil' my Glocks: 2 cycle engine oil, ATF, drug store mineral oil, and even Vaseline. (To one degree, or another, they all work!)

The prevailing wisdom on this forum is to use very little oil on your Glock; however for the past 10 years; and, something like, 50,000 fired rounds I've been running my Glocks, 'soaking wet' in comparison to what I read around here. All you got 'a do with a Glock is remember to: (1) Keep the internal slide channels reasonably dry, and (2) Clean out you slide channels and internal parts every 1,200 to 1,500 fired rounds.

Want a useful pistol cleaning tip? Above 22 LR caliber lose the slotted tip, wrap your cotton patches around a phosphor-bronze brush head and scrub your bore with this. (You only need to use a naked brush on a really dirty barrel.) I treat my barrels with, 'passivated' molybdenum disulfide from Sentry Solutions. Nothing has ever stuck to them since I started using, 'Smooth-Kote'. Another tip when you're using Break-Free is to read the fine print on the label; and allow your bore to soak overnight in the stuff BEFORE you start brushing.

Shockem841
11-10-2012, 21:08
I use hoppes elite on my barrels and clp on the rest.

plouffedaddy
11-10-2012, 21:47
Arc Angel nailed it there.

CLP is all you need for your Glocks though OP--shoot, clean/lube, and be merry :wavey:

Bruce M
11-10-2012, 23:08
..., then apply some quality gun oil where ever metal meets metal. ....

I would be careful about where I lubricate and pay some reasonable attention to what it suggests in the manual. Some parts of the gun (striker channel for instance) do much better with no lubrication; well more specifically do better without all the detritus that lubrication usually attracts.