Former Miami Beach cop pleads guilty to selling guns without license [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Former Miami Beach cop pleads guilty to selling guns without license

TBO
11-09-2012, 19:40
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/palm-beach/fl-federal-gunseller-plea-20121109,0,297882.story

Hurricanes
11-09-2012, 19:44
It seems everyday a cop is getting busted for something down here. The corruption in south florida is unbelievable.
-Joel

TheExplorer
11-09-2012, 19:54
That's what happens.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT9mx0ZF6XzpGZq9BDryLnv4KPxJbr5_9WM6OJGk99en69OwHOb

JDennis
11-09-2012, 20:43
Oops!

TK-421
11-09-2012, 21:08
You figure a cop would know better than to get caught. :rofl:

MrGlock21
11-09-2012, 21:27
You figure a cop would know better than to get caught. :rofl:

For some LEOs there is a tendency to become brashly impertinent combined with the sentiment of invinciblity.

ray9898
11-09-2012, 21:56
Idiot. He obviously knew the law and had an FFL in the past he let expire. You would figure he would not be that stupid.

noway
11-10-2012, 19:37
It seems everyday a cop is getting busted for something down here. The corruption in south florida is unbelievable.
-Joel

corruption is on all levels ( city/county/state/federal ) and it's not just south florida

Andy123
11-10-2012, 19:58
And the real problem . . . we let the gov get involved in the buying and selling of consumer goods.

RWBlue
11-10-2012, 20:09
Where do you get the guns to sell?

I must be missing something because I usually buy guns and then no one wnats to pay more than I did.

TBO
11-12-2012, 14:50
Guy's not a Cop, left that job over 10 years ago, is working as a security guard.

Detectorist
11-12-2012, 14:53
Guy's not a Cop, left that job over 10 years ago, is working as a security guard.

You sh!!t stirrer, you. :rofl:

There must be a reason why he's a *former* Cop.

cowboywannabe
11-12-2012, 14:59
thin blue wall failed again.

TBO
11-12-2012, 15:02
You think that's confusing, prior to his stint as a cop he was in the US Army, reaching the rank of Captain.

Baba Louie
11-12-2012, 15:29
During one transaction, according to court papers, he told the undercover agent he knew what he was doing was illegal.I'm wondering... Is it the heat or the humidty that caused his brain to fail? At least he sorta checked to see if the buyers were previously approved. Kinda. Still, Fail!

And, I gotta ask myself, from where or who was he getting the guns to sell anyway? A distributor or was he moving used firearms? If it wasn't so serious, I'd also ask in my best GNG voice, "what was his profit margin?" Because I'm like others here, I tend to buy high and those I do sell or trade off, sell low.

TBO, where DO you find all these wonderful articles? Drudge? :dunno:

TBO
11-12-2012, 15:33
There's so many I trip over them (I read a lot of news sources on the web, and many of the articles I search to read have links on the bottom to other unrelated news articles that often turn out to be more interesting than the one I was searching or reading).

Baba Louie
11-12-2012, 15:35
Gotcha. Thanks again. (I think)

Patchman
11-12-2012, 15:36
Jose Antonio Quintana sold 11 guns to undercover agents from 2009 to 2012, but records he kept indicated he also sold hundreds of weapons to buyers at shows in Miami, Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, Orlando and Fort Myers, never conducting the specific background checks required... by licensed dealers.

First, as his FFL expired, he can argue that he was no longer a licensed dealer and no longer bound to do the required background checks.

Second, if had ANY inclination that failing to do the background checks might get him in trouble, why did he even keep records?

itisbruno
11-12-2012, 16:19
He wouldn't have sold one to me, I don't talk to cops

:tongueout:

frizz
11-12-2012, 16:25
First, as his FFL expired, he can argue that he was no longer a licensed dealer and no longer bound to do the required background checks.

He was nailed for dealing if fireams w/o a license. The number of transactions over a given time period has a very low threshold for the ATF to consider you to be "dealing".

Would you say that he blew past any reasonable threshold of activity?

Also, Jose Antonio Quintana isn't his real name. His mother named him Moe, and her last name was Ronic.

RWBlue
11-12-2012, 17:14
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/palm-beach/fl-federal-gunseller-plea-20121109,0,297882.story

Hmm, the title says he is a cop. TBO are you just trying to stir up trouble?

TBO
11-12-2012, 17:24
???

Stir up what?

Read the title of the article.
What context does the word "former" apply to it?

Sent from the toe of my jack boot using Tapatalk 2

RWBlue
11-12-2012, 19:57
???

Stir up what?

Read the title of the article.
What context does the word "former" apply to it?

You know you were baiting GT. Him being a cop appears to have nothing to do with what he was doing.

This goes back to the other thread where you were trolling. You find something you know will wind up GT and you post it.

Not that I mind you winding people up, but it is getting old. Can't you find a new hobby?

*ASH*
11-12-2012, 20:01
[quote=RWBlue;19625066]You know you were baiting GT. Him being a cop appears to have nothing to do with what he was doing.

This goes back to the other thread where you were trolling. You find something you know will wind up GT and you post it.

Not that I mind you winding people up, bu

wrong thread

Patchman
11-12-2012, 20:26
Missed it by "that much."

itisbruno
11-12-2012, 21:16
You know you were baiting ...

He is a Master at that

:whistling:

:rofl:

:tongueout:

MrGlock21
11-13-2012, 07:33
You know you were baiting GT. Him being a cop appears to have nothing to do with what he was doing.

Not that I mind you winding people up, but it is getting old. Can't you find a new hobby?

:rofl: winding up people... after a couple of thousand posts we pretty much know what everyone is up to. He's got 37k.

Buying and selling firearms would be a nice new hobby :whistling:

RWBlue
11-13-2012, 09:29
Buying and selling firearms would be a nice new hobby :whistling:

Buying is fine, but he can only sell so many at a time.

DanaT
11-13-2012, 10:03

I think I mentioned that last night......

I thought trolling was against GT TOS? So much for being a shining beacon for following rules.

TBO
11-13-2012, 10:32

I posted an article with the full title of it.

I found it interesting as you couldn't make up a story with so much in it, or so much to take from it.

The guys a train wreck you can't look away from.
Most posters got that (by replies).

If you some how get riled up by threads started by me, feel free to skip stopping by, I promise not to be offended.

There are some who troll me, looking to either disparage me, or get my threads locked.

Look at Dana, get once again got smacked in a one sided debate (again talking about things he doesn't know) and today uses your reply to poke at me.
I put up stuff I find either interesting, humorous, or both.

If you're interested, I could go a whole page on this article.

Sincerely,

TBO

DanaT
11-13-2012, 10:47
Look at Dana, get once again got smacked in a one sided debate (again talking about things he doesn't know) and today uses your reply to poke at me.

Didn't happen.

And once again one who is supposed to follow rules is referencing a thread that was locked. What is the rule about locked threads on GT?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

TBO
11-13-2012, 10:51
Please stop trolling me. I have not identified/linked any thread, much less a locked one.
Your trolling of my threads in attempt to get them locked is childish & against TOS.

Be a bigger person, move in, keep out of my threads if you have issues.

Thank you

DanaT
11-13-2012, 10:58
Please stop trolling me. I have not identified/linked any thread, much less a locked one.
Your trolling of my threads in attempt to get them locked is childish & against TOS.

Be a bigger person, move in, keep out of my threads if you have issues.

Thank you

Well please refresh my memory of what you are referencing? Or are you simply stating a personal opinion?

frizz
11-13-2012, 11:01
I think I mentioned that last night......

I thought trolling was against GT TOS? So much for being a shining beacon for following rules.

:upeyes:

He posted a link to an article, and included a short description.

This forum is open to most any subject.

The article was about someone convicted of engaging in firearms without a license.

This is a firearms discussion website.

What makes TBO's post a troll? Show your work!

frizz
11-13-2012, 11:03
Missed it by "that much."

Agent Smart, I have only one question for you:
Is 99 still hawt?

DanaT
11-13-2012, 11:07

He posted a link to an article, and included a short description.

This forum is open to most any subject.

The article was about someone convicted of engaging in firearms without a license.

This is a firearms discussion website.

What makes TBO's post a troll? Show your work!

Trolling is based upon intent. Look up the definition and how many tbo threads get locked. It's either bad luck or a pattern. One would think if it were bad luck, one so cleaver would recognize it and change?

RussP
11-13-2012, 11:25
You sh!!t stirrer, you. :rofl:

There must be a reason why he's a *former* Cop.He retired...it's in the article.

Mushinto
11-13-2012, 11:35
The guy got busted by BATFE for a regulatory violation -- big deal. Why does everyone jump on him and call him a moron?

Do you all know that during the nineties, under the direction of Janet Reno, the ATF revoked thousands of FFLs because the dealers were "not doing enough business to justify a license?" They claimed it was just a "hobby" to them.

The magical variable threshold of number of sales to require a license is just a selective enforcement tool of the agency.

When I retired, I had a lump sum of cash and I considered investing in some firearms. I called BATFE and asked them if I needed an FFL to purchase many guns as an investment. They said no, as long as I was purchasing them from an FFL, which I planned to do. However, they said I might need a license when I wanted to sell them. I asked them if that happened, would they give me one? They said they could only answer that question when I applied.

I did enjoy the pause on the phone when I said I considered buying 300 Semi-Auto AK-47s.

TBO
11-13-2012, 11:38
That's what makes this article such a gem, the boatload of information.
Usually we get the title, charge, and maybe occupation of the subject, and that's it.

This news article delivers!
From his alleged statements to undercover officers, to the sound byte from his lawyer, and everything else.
Treasure trove of info.

This guy is everything from cautionary tale to jackass, & everything in between.

frizz
11-13-2012, 12:06
Trolling is based upon intent. Look up the definition and how many tbo threads get locked. It's either bad luck or a pattern. One would think if it were bad luck, one so cleaver would recognize it and change?

I know what trolling means. You have not shown how you reasonably inferred intent.

Even if I accept your assertion that TBO is, essentially, a serial troller, (I don't) it does not support your conclusion that this thread is a troll. The description of his opening post does not indicate a troll. It shows quite the opposite.

One other thing... I'm not going to do your work. It is your burden to provide a count of locked threads, and even then, you have to consider the reason for the locking. Was there a flame war between other posters? Even if he had been in the flame war, that would not prove a trolling.

frizz
11-13-2012, 12:10
The guy got busted by BATFE for a regulatory violation -- big deal. Why does everyone jump on him and call him a moron?

EDIT: Your complaint about the unclear definition of what level of transactions per period of time constitutes doing business if a fair attack, and I agree with you that it is not acceptable to make it unclear. But see my last paragraph...

Do you all know that during the nineties, under the direction of Janet Reno, the ATF revoked thousands of FFLs because the dealers were "not doing enough business to justify a license?" They claimed it was just a "hobby" to them.

The magical variable threshold of number of sales to require a license is just a selective enforcement tool of the agency.

When I retired, I had a lump sum of cash and I considered investing in some firearms. I called BATFE and asked them if I needed an FFL to purchase many guns as an investment. They said no, as long as I was purchasing them from an FFL, which I planned to do. However, they said I might need a license when I wanted to sell them. I asked them if that happened, would they give me one? They said they could only answer that question when I applied.

I did enjoy the pause on the phone when I said I considered buying 300 Semi-Auto AK-47s.

According to the testimony of the undercover ATF agents, he told them that he knew what he was doing was illegal.

Even without that fact, the volume and pattern of transactions is far beyond that which anyone with half a lick of sense would recognize as doing business.

DanaT
11-13-2012, 12:25
I know what trolling means.

<<<<<snip>>>>>>

One other thing... I'm not going to do your work. It is your burden to provide a count of locked threads, and even then, you have to consider the reason for the locking. Was there a flame war between other posters? Even if he had been in the flame war, that would not prove a trolling.

You are confused about the definition of trolling. Topics that routinely result in flame wars IS TROLLING. Trolling is deliberately posting in order to solicited an expected reaction.

frizz
11-13-2012, 12:43
You are confused about the definition of trolling. Topics that routinely result in flame wars IS TROLLING. Trolling is deliberately posting in order to solicited an expected reaction.

And you told me to look up the definition of trolling?

:rofl:

I'm done with you.

DanaT
11-13-2012, 12:52
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)

There you go. Topics intended to elicit an emotional response or be disruptive even if on topic, both of which would be intended responses is trolling.

Spiffums
11-13-2012, 15:46
Idiot. He obviously knew the law and had an FFL in the past he let expire. You would figure he would not be that stupid.

You mean it's not like cars where you can sell a few a month without a dealer's permit? :rofl::whistling: