M&P or Colt? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : M&P or Colt?

Restless28
11-10-2012, 06:06
I have been eyeing the Optics Ready M&P for $679. I have also been thinking of picking up another Colt LE6920 for $973.

Both of these prices are at LE levels.

I already have a set of MagPul backup sights.

Suggestions?

SJC 3081
11-10-2012, 06:16
Serious use the Colt and you know why. For a plinker the S&W.

TangoFoxtrot
11-10-2012, 06:42
Restless, Get the M&P. Good quality , good manufacturer, accurate and reliable. Use the money you'll save and buy extra ammo.

WoodenPlank
11-10-2012, 07:56
For the extra $200, I'd rather have the Colt, mostly because I don't like the gas block on the M&P OR.

OP, bear in mind that it is suggested to NOT use Magpul irons on railed gas blocks. The extra heat can damage the polymer. Even Magpul says not to do it.

Restless28
11-10-2012, 09:08
Colt it is, then.

K. Foster
11-10-2012, 09:55
For the extra $200, I'd rather have the Colt, mostly because I don't like the gas block on the M&P OR.

OP, bear in mind that it is suggested to NOT use Magpul irons on railed gas blocks. The extra heat can damage the polymer. Even Magpul says not to do it.

Totally agree.

faawrenchbndr
11-10-2012, 10:29
Colt,......worth the extra $

fivestar
11-10-2012, 13:30
I've got a Smith Optics Ready and its my duty rifle. Never had an issue since brand new. Id buy another in a second if I had the cash.

Then again, when I bought my Smith, you couldn't find a Colt, and if you could they were $1300+. If I were buying one today, I might opt for the Colt. The only reason though is for that all important pony on the side.

stopatrain
11-10-2012, 13:43
Buy the Colt you will not be sorry. Buy the S&W and later wonder why you didn't get the Colt.

eric1
11-10-2012, 14:49
I had the M&P OR and really liked it. That being said for a little extra I'd go Colt.

cowboy1964
11-10-2012, 15:54
I don't think the Colt is worth $300 more if money is tight. The M&P is a really good AR.

Matthew Courtney
11-10-2012, 16:39

Be cautious when taking value advice from a guy who rounds $296 to $200.:wavey:

JDennis
11-10-2012, 16:49
I personally don't think you can go wrong either way. I chose the M&P. My gunshop had both the M&P and Colt, both were about $100 apart in price. Both were nice to handle, both has Magpul equipment, but ultimately I prefered the 5r 1/8 barrel over the 1/7

skeeter7
11-10-2012, 16:56
I went through this as well earlier this spring and I just saved a few more pennies and went with the Colt. It just felt like the right thing to do to me.

SJC 3081
11-10-2012, 18:32
The Colt has a 1/7 4150 barrel that is MPI. It has also has a HP MPI bolt. The Colt meets all of the Army's TDP except being select fire. Also the 4150 steel barrel as compared the 4140 S&W barrel will handle higher temps before bursting as compared to the S&W barrel.
Also you can sell the Colts removable carry handle for $75 offsetting the price even further.

WoodenPlank
11-10-2012, 19:04
Be cautious when taking value advice from a guy who rounds $296 to $200.:wavey:

....DAMMIT!

:whistling:

When I posted that, I was horribly under-caffeinated. Not my fault, really.

Matthew Courtney
11-10-2012, 19:42
....DAMMIT!

:whistling:

When I posted that, I was horribly under-caffeinated. Not my fault, really.

Can I Borrow $296?

I'll pay you back the $200 I owe you right away!:rofl:

You should see me struggle when my daughter needs help with her algebra home work. I basically redirect her to the directions and explanations in the book until she gets it.

WoodenPlank
11-10-2012, 19:49
Can I Borrow $296?

I'll pay you back the $200 I owe you right away!:rofl:

You should see me struggle when my daughter needs help with her algebra home work. I basically redirect her to the directions and explanations in the book until she gets it.

Keep that up, and the cattle prod gets used on YOU... :tongueout:

LA_357SIG
11-10-2012, 20:15
The Colt has a 1/7 4150 barrel that is MPI. It has also has a HP MPI bolt. The Colt meets all of the Armies TDP except being select fire. Also the 4150 steel barrel as compared the 4140 S&W barrel will handle higher temps before bursting as compared to the S&W barrel.
Also you can sell the Colts removable carry handle for $75 offsetting the price even further.

I believe barrel profile has more impact than barrel material. And I seriously doubt a semi auto AR-15 will ever see the rate of fire needed to cause a catastrophic barrel failure caused by heat.

SJC 3081
11-10-2012, 20:49
I believe barrel profile has more impact than barrel material. And I seriously doubt a semi auto AR-15 will ever see the rate of fire needed to cause a catastrophic barrel failure caused by heat.

I also doubt a semi auto Ar will ever burst, but there is reason the Colt costs more and it is not cosmetic.
Also your barrel profile argument is irrelevant as we are comparing gov model profile barrels.

LA_357SIG
11-10-2012, 21:24
I also doubt a semi auto Ar will ever burst, but there is reason the Colt costs more and it is not cosmetic.
Also your barrel profile argument is irrelevant as we are comparing gov model profile barrels.

Wait. Didn't the M4 have a gov't profile barrel and get upgraded to a thicker barrel underneath the handguard to address barrel droopage and heat dissipation issues? My point... relevant.

"Also the 4150 steel barrel as compared the 4140 S&W barrel will handle higher temps before bursting as compared to the S&W barrel."

So if you agree that no semi auto AR15 will ever burst, what degree of relevancy does your statement (in bold) retain?

SNH Glocks
11-10-2012, 21:39
Your prices are great! I have both and like them both. I would save the $300 and go with the M&P.

SJC 3081
11-10-2012, 22:23
The barrel profiles have not been changed, the M&P and the Colt both have the same barrel profile,so what is your point? The 4150 steel barrel is the minimum standard as per the TDP. The Colt is a better serious use weapon. It is up to the OP if the extra cost of the Colt is worth it to him. For me I would spend the extra money, for you I guess it isn't.

LA_357SIG
11-10-2012, 23:12
The barrel profiles have not been changed, the M&P and the Colt both have the same barrel profile,so what is your point? The 4150 steel barrel is the minimum standard as per the TDP. The Colt is a better serious use weapon. It is up to the OP if the extra cost of the Colt is worth it to him. For me I would spend the extra money, for you I guess it isn't.

My point is 11595-E spec barrel steel (4150) failed in a full auto M4 with a gov't profile barrel. The Colt 6920 barrels have gov't profile barrels with 11595-E spec steel. See these things are what some people call THE SAME. Colt thickened the barrel steel under the handguard to address this problem. Address means FIX.

So let's recap: Colt's barrel steel and profile FAILED in a test on a full auto M4. FAILED. The same barrel steel and profile that is in the Colt 6920. (under the handguards) To say the barrel steel has any affect of keeping preventing a barrel from bursting is incorrect. Proof is the shift to a thicker barrel profile under the handguard.

SJC 3081
11-11-2012, 06:00
LA 357SIG
Please refer to your own quote by Neil Stephenson.

SJC 3081
11-11-2012, 06:00
LA 357SIG
Please refer to your own quote by Neal Stephenson.

TangoFoxtrot
11-11-2012, 06:44
I own both the Colt LE6920 and the S&W and I find the Colt does not have an advantage over the S&W....especially for the extra money it costs.

SJC 3081
11-11-2012, 09:34
I own both the Colt LE6920 and the S&W and I find the Colt does not have an advantage over the S&W....especially for the extra money it costs.

Please state your purpose for owning each weapon. Also could you give a round count for each weapon and any hard use comparison. For a general plinker I would agree with you and if the price tag of the S&W was all I could offord than I would be happy with the Smith. The Smith is a very good rifle but it is not Colt quality nor does it have the resale value.

Restless28
11-11-2012, 10:08
I keep going back and forth on this one.

LA_357SIG
11-11-2012, 11:17
LA 357SIG
Please refer to your own quote by Neil Stephenson.

SJC 3081
Please explain why you believe 4150 barrel steel prevents barrel "bursting" over a 4140 barrel in a gov't profile. And validate it's relevance to semi auto AR15's.

Restless28
11-11-2012, 11:41
Take the M&P out of the mix. The rifle jumped to $750 overnight, and that's at LE pricing.

QNman
11-11-2012, 19:53
I just had a very similar experience - was comparing the M&P, a Sig M400, and the Colt. I just bought the Colt. Not because it was the best dressed, or the least expensive (it was neither), but because over the last couple of years I've noticed the Colt holds its value better when selling here, on ARFcom, on Gunbroker... deserved or not, I cannot say yet (but will soon). Too, it IS "the standard", which to me means it is a known (good) quantity.

In the interest of full disclosure, I know of the resale value because I have had many AR's of varying quality and manufacturer, and I've never owned a Colt, but always wondered about how accurate the lore is. I'll post a comparison when I get a trip to the range.

SJC 3081
11-11-2012, 20:23
LA 357 I don't need to prove it. It is known fact you can learn for yourself if you wish to educate yourself. As for semi auto relevance it not sure it makes a difference. There is a reason that the army sets minimum standards and 4150 steel is the standard.

LA_357SIG
11-11-2012, 20:43
LA 357 I don't need to prove it. It is known fact you can learn for yourself if you wish to educate yourself. As for semi auto relevance it not sure it makes a difference. There is a reason that the army sets minimum standards and 4150 steel is the standard.
:upeyes: There is no shame in saying that you don't know. It is perfectly fine to parrot popular opinion on these forums, but don't give advice that you can't even explain yourself.

ETA: Maybe you should educate yourself. (http://atwar.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/12/m4-and-m4a1-guns/)

fnfalman
11-11-2012, 21:01
Buy the Colt if you were to want a bragging piece. Buy the SW if you were to want a shooting piece.

mjkeat
11-11-2012, 21:54
Buy the Colt if you were to want a bragging piece. Buy the SW if you were to want a shooting piece.

Yes, because Colt is known for being all about the show and no go.

fnfalman
11-11-2012, 22:53
Yes, because Colt is known for being all about the show and no go.

Colt is all about the show. Do you know anything about Colt revolvers? The prettiest things ever made.

Of course if Colt rifles were so great then why did FN make a bunch of them for Uncle Sam? Remington?

mjkeat
11-11-2012, 23:08
Colt is all about the show. Do you know anything about Colt revolvers? The prettiest things ever made.

Of course if Colt rifles were so great then why did FN make a bunch of them for Uncle Sam? Remington?

Yep because we're talking about revolvers here in the BR forum. Dee dee dee.

Define "a bunch."

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

fnfalman
11-11-2012, 23:13
Yep because we're talking about revolvers here in the BR forum. Dee dee dee.

Define "a bunch."

Yeah, I forgot in the BR forum, everybody is a commando fighting off jihadists and pirates all over the world with their own ARs.

Define "a bunch"? Many, many, many, many, many, many, many M16A2s

mixflip
11-11-2012, 23:20
Hands down... the M&P.

Just kidding, get the Colt. I picked up an LE6920 a few months ago and Im in AR heaven.

mjkeat
11-11-2012, 23:43
Yeah, I forgot in the BR forum, everybody is a commando fighting off jihadists and pirates all over the world with their own ARs.

Define "a bunch"? Many, many, many, many, many, many, many M16A2s

Yep. The words of a man that knows he's made incorrect statements.

fnfalman
11-11-2012, 23:49
Yep. The words of a man that knows he's made incorrect statements.

You mean FN didn't make M16A2s? Remington didn't sell "a bunch" of M4s to Uncle Sam?

QNman
11-12-2012, 07:56
You mean FN didn't make M16A2s? Remington didn't sell "a bunch" of M4s to Uncle Sam?

And Colt hasn't sold many many many many also?

Give it a rest. I'm far from a Colt fanboy, but anyone proclaiming they are "more for show" is talking out of their backside.

FN makes good rifles. So does Remington. Neither are "for show". Neither is Colt.

mjkeat
11-12-2012, 08:46

Or I could have been referring to your statement that Colt made ARs/M4s/M16s for show.

Just like round count post count is no indication of know how. To bad there isn't a ban button for ineptness.

fnfalman
11-12-2012, 09:42
Or I could have been referring to your statement that Colt made ARs/M4s/M16s for show.

Just like round count post count is no indication of know how. To bad there isn't a ban button for ineptness.

Of course Colt makes their guns for show. Most Colt owners I know put them up as safe queens (myself included, you will never see me dragging my Pythons out the boondocks).

And why is it that you're always back to talking about combat and war?

Is Restless going to buy a Colt to go to war?

Better being inept than being a commando joe.

QNman
11-12-2012, 12:06
Of course Colt makes their guns for show. Most Colt owners I know put them up as safe queens (myself included, you will never see me dragging my Pythons out the boondocks).

IIRC, Restless is a cop. He may not be in the desert, but his life may depend on the rifle to go bang more than a safe queen.

mjkeat
11-12-2012, 12:24

Who's talking about combat and war? You're the only one talking about war, "Is Restless going to buy a Colt to go to war?"

This is the Black Rifle Forum, yet you keep talking about handguns.

Two different worlds. You'll never catch me w/ a firearm I don't shoot regularly.

I think it's hilarious. One thread you're talking about all your training and war experience then in the next you're trying to accuse people of talking about war/combat. Mental illness much?

GRIMLET
11-12-2012, 12:37
Back when I was into AR's, I owned a M&P OR. It was a great, inexpensive rifle. The only issue I had was finding a front sight that didn't hang over the gas block when mounted. I tried three but couldn't find the right one. I am REALLY ocd about some things. I eventually sold it and all the add ons. I would not hesitate to buy another M&P, only this time with a standard front sight.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Matthew Courtney
11-12-2012, 13:06
When We bought a Colt 6920 and a S&W Sport back in June, the biggest functional difference was that the Sport had a much better trigger.

WayaX
11-12-2012, 14:18
FN makes good rifles. So does Remington. Neither are "for show". Neither is Colt.

Out of curiosity, because of the disputed contract, did the military ever receive any Remington M4 rifles?

mvician
11-12-2012, 14:22
Out of curiosity, because of the disputed contract, did the military ever receive any Remington M4 rifles?

Not that I know of.

fnfalman
11-12-2012, 14:53
Who's talking about combat and war? You're the only one talking about war, "Is Restless going to buy a Colt to go to war?"

This is the Black Rifle Forum, yet you keep talking about handguns.

Two different worlds. You'll never catch me w/ a firearm I don't shoot regularly.

I think it's hilarious. One thread you're talking about all your training and war experience then in the next you're trying to accuse people of talking about war/combat. Mental illness much?

Uhhh...didn't you and somebody started talking about Colt and military service?

Also, the other thread was about war/combat fighting gears.

As far as mental illness goes, I may get a bit of senility in me what's with age and all.

But what's your excuse for your war mentality? You're back in the World, it's OK now. Jihadist ain't gonna get you with IED right now. It's OK. If you have PTSD then get some help at the VA or at the troop clinic.

mjkeat
11-12-2012, 15:20
fnfail,

Stop typing, read a little, try real hard to follow along, and learn what you can. You'll be better off. If you had a family they would be embarrassed.

Don't worry about your post count. Nobody is going to catch you. You can take a vacation from the fluff posts w/o damaging your post count ego.

Clean up your grammer while you're at it.

QNman
11-12-2012, 15:21

I don't think so.