Do you make low offers on items not moving? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Do you make low offers on items not moving?

gwalchmai
11-10-2012, 05:10
If you see an item for sale on a forum and it's just not moving, do you ever make lowball offers on it just to see what'll happen? I do sometimes, and explain that I'm not trying to insult the seller, but that the item is not worth more to me than my offer.

I've had the expected gamut of "insulted" responses, polite refusals, and surprisingly, takers, so I think it's worth trying.

airmotive
11-10-2012, 05:14
If you actually do your homework first, and determine that an item has been for sale for quite a while, a low offer is perfectly reasonable. However, there are a few jackhandles on this site (and others) who simply troll the classifieds offering 10% of the asking price on pretty much everything listed. They're the Silverado pop-up ad of the classifieds.

gwalchmai
11-10-2012, 05:19
I wouldn't do 10%, but I have bought things for 75% of the asking price.

hamster
11-10-2012, 05:24
If you see an item for sale on a forum and it's just not moving, do you ever make lowball offers on it just to see what'll happen? I do sometimes, and explain that I'm not trying to insult the seller, but that the item is not worth more to me than my offer.

I've had the expected gamut of "insulted" responses, polite refusals, and surprisingly, takers, so I think it's worth trying.

I've never understood people getting offended at an offer. If someone makes an offer on the items I have listed in classifieds (hint hint) I see it as a sign of someone who knows how business is done. I can always counter offer. More often then not we come to a mutually agreeable amount in the middle.

Then again, I love haggling. I haggle for almost every item I buy. I have saved literally thousands over the years by not simply accepting the first offer a seller makes.

GlockPride
11-10-2012, 05:53
Take the opposite: many times as a seller I'll mark items UP over what I'm willing to accept to see if I can make more all the while knowing full well that I might only get 75-80% of starting price. Also, rarely does anyone ever offer MORE THAN asking price, but it does happen with gentlemen sometimes. I think most of us ask more to slightly more when selling because we know other guys want to feel like they worked us over and got a good deal.
An offer is just that- an offer. Three things can happen: acceptance, rejection or counter offer. Some people that reject reasonable offers don't care if anything ever sells; they are content to let it gather dust or rot. When I'm ready to move something I want it gone as I am a minimalist. Gone= more important than $ to me.

Offer away, you never know how much you might save. If you really want an item you could always come back and raise your offer to get the item. And yes, offering 10% of the asking price is ridiculous imnsho.

Have a great day!

skinny99
11-10-2012, 06:23
I have never done it with guns. I was big into Golf and golf equipment for a while. I used to wait for an ad to get 3 or 4 days old (that was old on that forum). And I would make realistic but low offers. Always polite and respectful. Sometimes I was able to buy the stuff and sometimes I didn't. The other thing I did that helped was I paid quick and wasn't in a hurry to get it shipped. Gives the seller an easy road.

Only issue I ever had. Bought a driver, when I received it I hit about 5 balls with it and hated it. I polished it up, took good pictures and sold it for more than the seller I bought it from was asking originally. He posted what I paid him for it. The guy that bought it from me didn't care. It was still a decent deal. Still gave great feedback.

I have bought a lot online. Some tips for sellers:
1) Take lots of good pictures
2) Give a clear,concise description and make sure spelling and punctuation are correct
3) Get the item in the best possible condition (clean,polished)
4) Include any accessories or add-ons in the ad
5) Respond quickly to offers or questions

This all common sense, unfortunately common sense isn't that common anymore!

frizz
11-10-2012, 06:35
A seller won't hesitate to put a high price on a hot item, so "do the math."

frizz
11-10-2012, 06:42
I wouldn't do 10%, but I have bought things for 75% of the asking price.

75% is usually good negotiation.

When selling to a friend, I ask in the low-middle of the going rate. If they ask for anything off, I'll point out that I put it at the low end, but still take a little off.

I don't screw friends, but I won't screw a stranger, either.

I also don't like doing business with friends.

CBennett
11-10-2012, 06:57
yes .

Thumpernator
11-10-2012, 07:00
If a person only offered 10% of the asking price, I just ignore it and don't even respond to it. It's probably from "that guy" who offers the same on other ads. They are the ones who are just trying to make money and have no intentions of actually using the item. I know, nothing illegal about it, but I also don't have to deal with them.

Also, people should respect the seller and not make a low ball offer when the seller has included "Firm" on his price. On a R/C site where I've sold stuff, I've had such ridiculously low offers that I broke from my usual ignore stance and told them I would throw the item in the trash before I'd sell it for that price. You guys know the type I'm talking about.

gwalchmai
11-10-2012, 08:56
I always respect a "firm". I also think it's kind of foolish because I'd much rather sell for a few dollars less than have to lower a "firm". Kills your credibility, I think.

larry_minn
11-10-2012, 11:14
I may make LOW offers. But they are ones I will stand behind. Just bought a item. Asking price $1200 I offered $800. He offered to toss in @ $75 worth of extras so I offered $900. He was happy and agreed.
I had a relative in sales. He said he dang near had to go in break room and do "happy dance" when folks paid asking price. $$$
More then once I have told seller. "I think its worth more then ($$$) but ($$$) is all its worth to me right now. I hope you get more. BUT if you don't my offer stands." (till end of month/similar time frame) Its amazing how many will call me back (within hrs) and say "come and get it"

Brucev
11-10-2012, 11:30

From time to time I've sold items on-line. Those who want and item pay the price states. Those who are just wasting their time offering their price get to have the fun of wasting their time.

In stores I frequent I will from time to time notice an item that has been on the shelf/in the sales case for a long period of time. From time to time I will get to talking with the owner and see if they are open to a offer. And, from time to time, that owner and I come to a meeting of the minds. He gets paid. I take the item home.

That is how I ended up buying a Seiko chronograph for $78 rather than a Citizen. Guess they'd had the Seiko long enough. Cool. That is also how I ended up buying a S&W 21-4 NIB for $525 OTD. It had sat in the dealers case for almost three years when I chanced to find the store and go inside. Guess he was tired of looking at it. I was pleased take it home. At that price, I'd have taken two or three of them home!

TK-421
11-10-2012, 11:40
When I sell stuff I usually price it a bit high, that way the "lowballs" are a bit closer to what I actually want. Generally, from what I've experienced, a lot of the low balls are percentage based, and not a flat money amount, unless the guy is a ******. So I tack on a few extra bucks so when someone comes by and low balls by lets say 30-40%, it's closer to what I actually want than it normally would've been. And therefore it hopefully takes less time haggling the person up to the price I really want. He feels good because he felt like he low balled me and haggled me down to a low price, and I feel good because I sold it for the price I wanted.

alwaysshootin
11-10-2012, 11:47
I always respect a "firm". I also think it's kind of foolish because I'd much rather sell for a few dollars less than have to lower a "firm". Kills your credibility, I think.

I agree, but we all know that when you see "FIRM", and it's priced too high, it isn't going to sell anyway. So I just walk away. On the other hand, if it's something I'm looking for, and it's priced right, I just say I'll take it!

Had a gentlemen in C-Bus selling a Ruger LC9 for $250 yesterday, but he wouldn't travel this way. Figuring the cost of fuel, for the round trip, made it not such a great deal. Then there was another that didn't say firm, but was selling for $350, only a half hour away. Asked if he could come down to 3, and his response was, he was loosing money already. Go figure! Guess he bought it new, at the wrong place.

gwalchmai
11-10-2012, 12:26
I may make LOW offers. But they are ones I will stand behind. Well, of course you stand behind it. That's why you make the offer.

Hamilton Burger
11-10-2012, 13:05
Business is business, and if cash is required, so be it. But horse-trading can be alot of fun too. For instance, I have a friend with a gun store. If something in his used guns or holsters isn't moving, he'll usually swap me for something I'm not using. I get to try different things I wouldn't normally buy, and he keeps his stock "fresh" :thumbsup:

In one of my bigger trades I swapped my motorcycle for a Camaro, then the Camaro for a Wagoneer.

CAcop
11-10-2012, 13:32
I have but it was for stuff sitting a long time. As in 6 months or more. I offered around 10-20% off of list. Never got an "okay, sold."

Now offering for sale I have just offered stuff at low prices just to get it off of my hands. I also do my homework too.

Some retard at work a decade ago bought an HK compact for around a grand. He was trying to sell it for $950. I really don't care if he only shot a few hundred rounds through it or he has a bunch of leather I can't use. A lot of other people felt that way too because last I heard he still has it.

757CC
11-10-2012, 19:24
It's always a balancing act. I will offer $XXX which is what I will pay. Seller can take it, counter, or decline. I have gotten some crazy deals. Same goes when I list things for sale. I tend to price right fair to both buyer and me. Some people are too uptight. I do see people who buy high and think they will break even.

ateamer
11-10-2012, 19:29
I don't get insulted if someone lowballs me, and I don't give a damn if someone gets offended when I lowball them. I'll be damned if I spend one penny too much just to protect some candyass's fragile little ego.

larry_minn
11-11-2012, 21:10
Well, of course you stand behind it. That's why you make the offer.

You have never had a person make you a offer and when you accept....They then offer LESS....
I have made offer/then notice some "issues" I still pay the money (unless the defect was clearly hidden,seller lied about it)

gwalchmai
11-12-2012, 04:39
You have never had a person make you a offer and when you accept....They then offer LESS.... LOL. No, I haven't had that and I'd just laugh at them.

I have made offer/then notice some "issues" I still pay the money (unless the defect was clearly hidden,seller lied about it)Any offer I make or receive is considered contingent upon inspection. I usually say something like "assuming the item is in the condition described, ..." and ask questions, of course.

spotco2
11-13-2012, 00:08
If I see something that I really want, I'll offer what I think it's worth to me. Sometimes it's near what someone is asking and sometimes it's much less.

The worst thing they can say is no, right?

Actually, the worst thing they can say sometimes is YES!

I had someone call me out of the blue last month asking if I wanted to buy a house. I went and looked at it. It was a nice brick and vinyl 4 bedroom 1 bath with hardwoods all the way through on .25 acre lot in a good part of town. House was built in the 50's and had been vacant since her mother passed in 2008 but had a new roof installed (insurance job) 3 years ago. The tax value was $58,000.

She said she wanted $35,000. I really want to buy some land that joins mine so I really didn't want the house but she kept pestering me about making an offer. I told her that the most I would go was $5,000 since the market was bad and the house needed some updating.

I about crapped when she called the next day and said she would take it. We closed 9 days later and yes I paid cash.

Anybody wanna buy a house?

Gallium
11-13-2012, 03:43
...They're the Silverado pop-up ad of the classifieds.

:rofl:

camelotkid
11-13-2012, 05:51
I do this with any used item. It is always worth asking. I even specifically used this approach when buying my house. I looked for houses I liked that had been on the market the longest with pictures of an empty interior. This meant that the seller had more than likely already bought their new house and were making double payments and had been for sometime. I used this to my advantage and saved 15,000 on a sub 100k starter home.

attrapereves
11-13-2012, 08:45
I always do this with a used item, unless the price is a steal. Sometimes, people post used Glocks here on the classifieds or on armslist, hoping to get back what they paid for the gun That isn't going to happen.

If you are selling a gently used G19gen3, you can't expect to get more than $450 out of it, even with upgrades. I generally offer what I think the gun is worth, and I hope no offense is taken.

uhlawpup
11-13-2012, 09:05
I am not ashamed to offer what an item is worth to me. If I get no reply, so be it. If I get some nasty remarks, I say a prayer for the person.

On my last three cars, I've done my homework and know what price I am willing to pay. After the sales human gives me a price, I give him my best offer and tell him that, to save his valuable time, that is really it. Total. Drive out. Each time, it was accepted without question, probably because my price was pretty close to the least they could sell for. Once, some time ago, my price was refused. We shook hands and parted on friendly-enough terms that the next car I bought was from that salesman.

I don't like haggling, so my method works for me. Your mileage may vary.

frizz
11-13-2012, 09:13
This is something that can work with any merchant. Instead of asking for a discount, ask to get them to throw something in if they have something else you want.

Say you are buying a digital camera, ask for a memory card. Here, you can get something that you were going to buy anyway, and the seller moves merchandise instead of getting less cash. Everybody is happy.

A similar tactic is to also ask for another item (say a LCD TV along with a Tivo) and ask for both at a discount. Similar concept; the seller may not have received the full asking price, but he has moved more inventory.

Free service thrown in can often be a huge mutual win. Buy a car stereo, and ask for free installation. If the installers are not too busy, and they are on a fixed pay, this comes off the seller's "slack" and costs him NOTHING. They really love this one.

Merchants tend to be happy with package deals. I worked as a cashier/clerk at an electronics & appliances store in college, and I saw these deals all the time.

KommieforniaGlocker
11-13-2012, 09:44
You have never had a person make you a offer and when you accept....They then offer LESS....
I have made offer/then notice some "issues" I still pay the money (unless the defect was clearly hidden,seller lied about it)

Yup, I was selling a car, they had seen it once already, we drove it together...He tried to tell me noticed something was off. His wife really loved the Car (It was a Volvo) and she wanted it. He is actually an Univision Newsreporter that came on channel 21 in Fresno every night.

We agreed on price so I took it off listing and add, as he told me he would pick it up on agreed day. He shows up that morning with 2,000 less (we had agreed to 12,000) in cash or cashiers check. He showed up with 10,000 cash and said take it or leave it. I told him that we had agreed on 12,000 (The car was worth alot more at the time) So I politely passed, he told me "to think about it." I said no thanks, he left.

That afternoon, I was at my mom's house having dinner and me complaining about idiot, and my aunt called mom talks to her, turns out she wants out, and will pay the 12,000. (My cousin/Her son is a Volvo Mechanic at dealer) said he will check it out.

So they came over, we had beer, ate dinner, had mini reunion. She paid me in 6 months, six installments of 2,000. (Don't mind she is family) That was Sunday afternoon,

Monday evening idiot calls and says he will give me 11,500 I tell him, too little, too late. He loses it and thank him and hang up. Oh and then he said "How can you do this to me? you knew how much my wife liked it! in spanish. At first he annoyed me then I realized he was just pathetic.

After that experience I just trade them in when I buy, or just sell them to Carmax, I probably get way less, but it saves me time, and aggravation to me thats worth something to me.
:dunno:

Dennis in MA
11-13-2012, 13:15
I'll give you a nickel if you can make me the OP on this thread.

DanaT
11-13-2012, 13:26
I always do this with a used item, unless the price is a steal. Sometimes, people post used Glocks here on the classifieds or on armslist, hoping to get back what they paid for the gun That isn't going to happen.

If you are selling a gently used G19gen3, you can't expect to get more than $450 out of it, even with upgrades. I generally offer what I think the gun is worth, and I hope no offense is taken.

I wouldn't pay more than about $325 for a used glock. They sell new at home for a little under $500 for most basic models.

In general something used but in good condition is worth, to me, up to about 66% of what I can buy for new. Beyond that I spend the extra for new.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Geko45
11-13-2012, 13:30
Yup, best deal I've gotten on a vehicle so far was 55% of book value. You never know until you ask. A lot of people look at what I have and think I must earn much more than I do. I'm comfortable, but still definitely a middle class salary. I've made it stretch further by shopping around and waiting for good deals to come along.

As for getting offended, it doesn't matter if you are buyer or seller, don't take it personally. It's just business. I've been low-balled plenty of times. I just decline those offers. I've also had my offers declined. No biggy, I just move on to the next deal. You know you have a potential deal going when they decline your offer at first, but then call you back the next day to "talk".

gwalchmai
11-13-2012, 14:21
I'll give you a nickel if you can make me the OP on this thread.If I had a nickel for everybody who's wanted to be me I'd have, well, I'd have a lot of nickels. ;)

Geko45
11-13-2012, 15:11
If I had a nickel for everybody who's wanted to be me I'd have, well, I'd have a lot of nickels. ;)

I think I'd have 15 cents.

Hef
11-13-2012, 17:10
We buy all of our shop machinery and equipment at auction for a fraction of what it would be new. As an example, our $50,000 downdraft spray booth cost us $4000 and a trip to Atlanta. Bought some tools on Craigslist too, and got good deals on them. With all of the construction companies and millworks going under, we'd be fools not to buy tools and machinery cheap.

EKUJustice
11-13-2012, 21:36
What I hate is offering something at a fair price shipped the get asked for a much lower price FTf if I bring it to them like 100 miles away then get mad when I quote more as its cheaper to throw it in the mail than pay gas

ca survivor
11-14-2012, 08:00
I see people paying on e-bay 10-20% more than the item goes for new :dunno:

ca survivor
11-14-2012, 08:02
deleted, post went on full auto :rofl: