Car wax/paint restoration [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Car wax/paint restoration

3glkdog
11-10-2012, 09:34
The roof and hood of my car is badly faded, any product on the market that can bring back the color? I'm afraid at this point I'm gonna need a new paint job. Thanks

FullClip
11-10-2012, 10:12
Depends on how bad the fading is, and inn what shape the paint is in. You can try using a polishing wax with a whole lotta elbow grease, or something more agressive like a "clay"....10 times the elbow grease needed.
But remember, anything like this is basically sanding down the paint layer....chew the clear coat and it will look bad, get too agressive and you can even go through the paint coats....that really bites.

Give it a try, and if ya' screw up, it needs a paint job anyway...right???:supergrin:

Or you can do like me, and just ignore the whole deal as the weather takes it toll on the outside of your car and blame "global warming" on how crappy it looks.:supergrin:

AirCav
11-10-2012, 10:51
The roof and hood of my car is badly faded, any product on the market that can bring back the color? I'm afraid at this point I'm gonna need a new paint job. Thanks
There's only so much that a "hand applied" product is going to do. From your description of your paint's condition, that would probably be "not much."

Find someone (detailer) with an electric buffer who knows how to use it. Ask their opinion and for an estimate. It will depend on the condition and remaining thickness of your paint. There's no way to fix your problem without removing some of it.

TK-421
11-10-2012, 10:58
It really depends on just how badly faded it is, and why it's faded. It's entirely possible you can't do much except re-paint it.

method
11-10-2012, 15:59
Depends on how bad the fading is, and inn what shape the paint is in. You can try using a polishing wax with a whole lotta elbow grease, or something more agressive like a "clay"....10 times the elbow grease needed.
But remember, anything like this is basically sanding down the paint layer....chew the clear coat and it will look bad, get too agressive and you can even go through the paint coats....that really bites.

Give it a try, and if ya' screw up, it needs a paint job anyway...right???:supergrin:

Or you can do like me, and just ignore the whole deal as the weather takes it toll on the outside of your car and blame "global warming" on how crappy it looks.:supergrin:

Clay does no sort of polishing, it gets dirt out of the paint in preparation for polishing. There's no real elbow grease involved in using it either, it's just time consuming.

spotco2
11-13-2012, 00:16
If it's a late model car it's probably the clear coat breaking down. Nothing will fix that but new paint.

If it's single stage paint, then you might be able to buff it out or wet sand and polish.

There's not much we can tell you without knowing what kind of paint or even car you have. Post a couple of close up pics and we might be able to give more info.