Question for Carpenters or Painters? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Question for Carpenters or Painters?

13 ROMEO
11-10-2012, 09:35
First off I'm an electrician, I know very little when it comes to wood working, but I am pretty handy with my hands:whistling:. So I have decieded I'm going to build 2 Pergolas in my backyard, and I am using Cedar. Do I use just a water sealer on it or do you stain it, or just leave it bare? I have started with rough 6x6x12 Cedar for the frame, and have sanded it down real nice. Now it is a lot blonder than the red look it had when it was rough. will the sealer return it to that red look?:wavey:

Thanks Ed

FullClip
11-10-2012, 09:56
Had to do a Google to find out what the heck a "pergola" was....not sure why anybody would want one, but it's your yard.

Cedar will turn gray as it weathers. If you want to keep it reddish, you'll need to stain it. The transparent stains will color, but the wood grain can be seen. You'll need ot re-stain every couple years more or less depending on the weather you have.
Have fun building it, cedar is nice to work with and a "good" carpenter is one who can hide his mistakes. Since you're an electrician, you're used to having smoke come out when you make a boo-boo. :wow: The wood project will be a walk in the park for ya'.:supergrin:

GAFinch
11-10-2012, 10:27
Sand down a couple scrap pieces of wood and test sealers/stains on them first before putting anything on the good pieces of wood.

sharpshooter
11-10-2012, 10:38
Wood stuff like fences and pergolas can be handled two ways. Most people start off using a sealer when it's brand new. Looks good for a year or two especially if you use a good quality oil based sealer (not that Thompson's crap) and brush/roll it into the wood.

Then 90% of people just let it go because there's a lot of labor involved in keeping it up, and it turns grey. Some people end up painting it.

It's kind of like new tires on your car. You spray them with tire shine at first but then you just let it go, because shiny black tires don't go faster or get better mileage.

RenoF250
11-10-2012, 12:25
I would use a semitransparent linseed oil based stain. I used the Oympic stain sealer. It has lasted ~8 years on a redwood fence with only 1 recoat. I put it on heavy so it is almost drippng off and then wipe it off lightly with a rag ~5 minutes later.

failsafe
11-10-2012, 14:05
Just me, but with redwood or cedar..I let it be..A light power wash, every 2 years or so...don't get aggresive with the wash..

wayne bell
11-10-2012, 19:19
We refinish log homes professionally and I'd be happy to give you an opinion on finishes for exterior wood surfaces... drop me an email. Wayne@LogHomeCareOnline.com

13 ROMEO
11-10-2012, 20:54
Wayne,
E-mail sent.

Thank you to everyone for all your input on my little project. I know a little more now than when I started this morning.

Thanks!
Ed

Bruce M
11-10-2012, 21:35
.... Since you're an electrician, you're used to having smoke come out when you make a boo-boo. ....:supergrin::rofl::rofl:

scwine
11-10-2012, 21:43
Just me, but with redwood or cedar..I let it be..A light power wash, every 2 years or so...don't get aggresive with the wash..

This^.