Have humans ever gone backwards in convenience? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Have humans ever gone backwards in convenience?

mr00jimbo
11-10-2012, 11:31
Think about it. We're used to progressing through time and coming out with a more convenient (albeit less quality) way of life. Microwaves, DVDs, yadda yadda.

But have we ever gone, "Oops, we can't do this any more, you're going to have to sacrifice?"

I mean, cars have given us freedom and in cities people are often encouraged to talk public transit, which is, IMO, a step back in convenience.

Any others?

airmotive
11-10-2012, 11:38
Marriage.

That's all I got time for...have to go fold laundry.

Berto
11-10-2012, 11:44
For me, entertainment, phones and banking are still pretty much stone age compared to most.
I don't own a TV
I don't bring a phone with me (most of the time)
I bank with a teller, never use a debit card or online/ATM. I pay in cash, etc.

It's not really a big deal, I prefer it that way.

Z71bill
11-10-2012, 11:45
They clear the trash from their table at the fast food place themselves. :whistling:

Pump their own gas.

Check themselves out (self scan) at the store.

BTW - I actually like pumping my own gas & using self check. so IMHO it is not really a step back - but sort of is. :dunno:

FullClip
11-10-2012, 11:49
The funny thing is I think the "Progressives" are the most regressive when it comes to the conveniences of modern technology.
Air drying your laundry after using those POS 'eco" washing machines.

Eating "organic" veggies...depite how small, nasty looking and expensive they are.

Driving slower, smaller cars....or even giving up cars altogether.

Could go on and on, but seems that some people look at real progress as an evil.....and they ain't all Aimish.

glock_19guy1983
11-10-2012, 11:56
They clear the trash from their table at the fast food place themselves. :whistling:

Pump their own gas.

BTW - I actually like pumping my own gas & using self check. so IMHO it is not really a step back - but sort of is. :dunno:

I love the self checkout at walmart. Great for paying for the embarrasing feminine hygene products the wife put on the shopping list.:embarassed:

Altaris
11-10-2012, 11:56
I mean, cars have given us freedom and in cities people are often encouraged to talk public transit, which is, IMO, a step back in convenience.

I think the cars really depend on what city/location you are talking about.
In a place like Tokyo, I could get just about anywhere I wanted with the subway, and it was cheap, and I didn't have to worry about driving. To me, the act of driving is a huge inconvenience, so having someone else(the train), do it for me, is a step up imo.
Now take a place like pretty much anywhere in Texas. Everything is so spread out you need a car to be able to do anything, so in that case trying some type of mass transit would be a giant pain.

Carrys
11-10-2012, 12:00
Don't know the answere to the question, but I do know this...................get ready, we're all about to find out.

The slow growth, almost non existant economy, high unemployment......and most people want these things as was proved a few days ago, yeah.....we're in for quite the ride.

Backward.

JerryVO
11-10-2012, 12:01
Shaving. I started in high school with an electric razor and as I got older I want with a Mach 3 and a can of gel shaving cream. Took longer but gave a better shave. Now I use an old school safety razor and a badger brush and bowl. Takes even longer but a great shave. I am even looking at straight razors now. All were technological steps back but much better in quality.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

OrangeJoe
11-10-2012, 12:12
Timekeeping. From a centralized system where you could go lookup what time it was, to pocket watches, to wristwatches... Back to pocket watches (cellphones) most of which get their time from a centralized system.

Annhl8rX
11-10-2012, 13:14
While my iPhone makes a lot of things very convenient, it is definitely less convenient to make a phone call than it was on older, non-smart phones.

The technological development of automotive engines has made them more difficult to work on at home. I suppose that could be considered a step back in convenience.

HollowHead
11-10-2012, 13:23
Driving somewhere so you can lift heavy things and run. It really makes no sense whatsoever. HH

Angry Fist
11-10-2012, 13:32
I gave up my plasma rifle for a Glock. The place that supplied the batteries went belly up a few weeks ago.

CAcop
11-10-2012, 13:37
Driving somewhere so you can lift heavy things and run. It really makes no sense whatsoever. HH

It does if you realize the vast majority of people do not farm with handplows or shovel dirt in and out of trenches.

People go to climate controlled offices or businesses, plop down and work for 8-12 hours sitting on their butts. They need to have physical activity or die sooner. Either they put down the mouse and pick up a shovel and start digging or they go to the gym.

Diesel_Bomber
11-10-2012, 13:40
Fountain pens.

Still have ballpoints everywhere, but if available, I'm pulling my Lamy out of my pocket.

Fred Hansen
11-10-2012, 13:58
Have humans ever gone backwards in convenience? A simple example would be the Roman aqueduct. For several centuries the Romans built/used/maintained them to provide an abundance of fresh water to create thriving cities in places where it would otherwise have been impossible to do so.

Eventually, the bread and circuses crowd (the takers--a.k.a. proto-Obommunists) would end up gutting each other while fighting over mud puddles... Sometimes in the shade of those very same aqueducts; and all without the slightest clue as to what those structures were, much less how to build/use/maintain one.

Human history is filled with the stupid and pathetic overwhelming--and often destroying--the people around them who make life more meaningful than a fight over a mud puddle. It will never change, at least not so long as there are humans.

Over 100 years ago a man much smarter than myself warned of what follows in the wake of the Hope-A-Doped hordes:

Progress, far from consisting in change, depends on retentiveness. When change is absolute there remains no being to improve and no direction is set for possible improvement: and when experience is not retained, as among savages, infancy is perpetual. Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

The Life of Reason (1905-1906)
Vol. I, Reason in Common Sense George Santayana

The wise build upon greatness that already exists. The Hope-A-Doped (in their inimitable arrogance) believe they are simply entitled to greatness. No matter what happens, they will stand around the most meager puddle, and convince themselves they have conquered the sea.

certifiedfunds
11-10-2012, 14:12
Don't know the answere to the question, but I do know this...................get ready, we're all about to find out.

The slow growth, almost non existant economy, high unemployment......and most people want these things as was proved a few days ago, yeah.....we're in for quite the ride.

Backward.

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Absolutely beautiful!

captainstormy
11-10-2012, 14:15
Happens pretty much every time a great empire falls.

But if your talking about by choice, some people do it but most don't.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

RonS
11-10-2012, 14:21
The progressives believe that the human race must use fewer resources. You can achieve that one of two ways. One of them is for everyone to consume less, the other if to have fewer people using resources.

It never occurs to the idots to go look for more resources.

Fred Hansen
11-10-2012, 15:09
The progressives believe that the human race must use fewer resources. You can achieve that one of two ways. One of them is for everyone to consume less, the other if to have fewer people using resources.

It never occurs to the idots to go look for more resources.Not only will they not look, they restrict others from doing so.

All while claiming that butterfly farts and puppy dog kisses can feed and power the world.

certifiedfunds
11-10-2012, 15:22
Not only will they not look, they restrict others from doing so.

All while claiming that butterfly farts and puppy dog kisses can feed and power the world.

They will power the world after the Obama administration makes some strategic investments in butterfly fart technology companies started by campaign donors.

Otherwise the Chinese will beat us to the butterfly fart market.

aspartz
11-10-2012, 17:02
The workplace is rife with backwards thinking.
This is demonstrated by most of the places I have worked. Work harder not smarter is the mantra of the modern era. Managers who's only experience is management school, who's only goal is making their own job easier. Managers who think it is better that everyone be busy rather than productive.

ARS

Highspeedlane
11-10-2012, 17:10

How true.

Also I see many (especially people I work with) that will sloth through the day putting forth as little physical effort as possible but then go and spend an hour in the gym working themselves up into a lather with weights or cardio machines.

Bruce M
11-10-2012, 17:15
Anytime one thinks life is more convenient nowadays, pick up the telephone and try calling your local bank to ask a teller what is the balance in your checing account. (Some people here probably have an actual local bank as opposed to BankamFargoChase.

mr00jimbo
11-10-2012, 17:16
Anytime one thinks life is more convenient nowadays, pick up the telephone and try calling your local bank to ask a teller what is the balance in your checing account. (Some people here probably have an actual local bank as opposed to BankamFargoChase.

But you can pay with your smartphone, check your balance online, use an ATM. I'm 26...I can't wrap my head around not being able to know my account balance any time I want. Imagine going, "I wonder how much money is in my account?" and it being Sunday, so you have to wait to take money out on Monday.

aspartz
11-10-2012, 17:30

It's only inconvenient if you insist on doing business face to face, which in itself is inefficient. There is a much easier way to do things with technology.

ARS

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

frizz
11-10-2012, 17:30
The workplace is rife with backwards thinking.
This is demonstrated by most of the places I have worked. Work harder not smarter is the mantra of the modern era. Managers who's only experience is management school, who's only goal is making their own job easier. Managers who think it is better that everyone be busy rather than productive.

ARS
+1

Another problem with management is setting compensation and other incentives that encourage behavior that is contrary to the goals of the organization. It happens all the damned time, :steamed:

Hummerbike
11-10-2012, 17:35
DDT. It was safe around humans.The newer pesticides don't work as well and you have to spray more often.

JW1178
11-10-2012, 17:52
Yes, that was part of the dark ages. It's happened many, many times. Look at the Egyptians, once building pyramids which we still can not really understand how they did it, now they have gone back to tribal ways.

Perhaps we should start calling the "Progressives" what they really are, "Regressives". It's the Republicans that are the true progressives, because they belive in and promote progress.

certifiedfunds
11-10-2012, 17:52
Leaded gas

HollowHead
11-10-2012, 17:56
DDT. It was safe around humans.The newer pesticides don't work as well and you have to spray more often.

I'll add Thalidomide to this. Nothing since has worked as well for morning sickness. HH

Aurora
11-14-2012, 05:24
People like to survive in the most comfort possible. When comfort threatens their survival then they will accept more discomfort/inconvenience.

I do agree we'll be seeing people accepting some serious discomfort in the years coming in order to assure their survival.

V.

Mrs.Cicero
11-14-2012, 06:49
But you can pay with your smartphone, check your balance online, use an ATM. I'm 26...I can't wrap my head around not being able to know my account balance any time I want. Imagine going, "I wonder how much money is in my account?" and it being Sunday, so you have to wait to take money out on Monday.

I'm old enough to remember that.:shocked: Before I had an ATM card or a computer, I kept a running total in my head of what was in the checking account. it shocked me to discover that some other people didn't do that. Now I share a checking account with Mr.C, and it's impossible to keep the running total, since he uses a debit card to pay for stuff. Not having a running total in my head is definitely a step backwards in convenience for me. It irritates me to have to go look up how much $ is there.

Mrs.Cicero
11-14-2012, 06:53
I can more and more of my own food, which is less convenient than buying it from a store. On the other hand, it's healthier doing it myself, and I enjoy doing it (except for tomatoes, which are a PITA, and boring). And I raise my own chickens for eggs and meat. That's more work and less convenient than buying from a store, but they taste much better, and the chickens make me laugh, which makes it worth the loss in convenience. The only time going to the store is funny is when there are "People of Walmart" types there - and that's more sad than funny, really.

robertoh
11-14-2012, 07:12
It happened after the crash in the 30's.As the saying went,---we didn't have any food,clothing,good roof over our heads,or jobs,----then came the Depression.:faint:

BEER
11-14-2012, 07:14
remember the good old days when instead of talking about your feelings, or going to couples counseling and all that you could just beat your wife into submission when she didn't bring you a sandwhich quick enough?

i keed i keed. lol

Atlas
11-14-2012, 07:39
Timekeeping. From a centralized system where you could go lookup what time it was, to pocket watches, to wristwatches... Back to pocket watches (cellphones) most of which get their time from a centralized system.

Cute...
Silly, but cute.

vart
11-14-2012, 07:59
Texting... Now I'm expected to communicate with my wife and kids by typing messages instead of talking to them. I hate it.

DanaT
11-14-2012, 08:06
I'm old enough to remember that.:shocked: Before I had an ATM card or a computer, I kept a running total in my head of what was in the checking account. it shocked me to discover that some other people didn't do that. Now I share a checking account with Mr.C, and it's impossible to keep the running total, since he uses a debit card to pay for stuff. Not having a running total in my head is definitely a step backwards in convenience for me. It irritates me to have to go look up how much $ is there.

Ever thought of giving him an allowance?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Lior
11-14-2012, 08:10
Sure, I have moved from powered flight (light sport aircraft) to unpowered flight (sailplanes). I am sure lots of airmen and mariners feel the same way as I do about the beauty more than making up for the inconvenience.

SC Tiger
11-14-2012, 09:06

I tried the automated phone line of my bank (a major bank in the southeast at least) to order a replacement debit card for one that had cracked in half. After 20 minutes of going through menus, I called my local branch and ordered one. I did tell them to pass on the fact that their phone system was useless.

SC Tiger
11-14-2012, 09:11
The technological development of automotive engines has made them more difficult to work on at home. I suppose that could be considered a step back in convenience.

True but, like it or not, all of those sensors and computer gizmos make the engines more powerful, more efficient and more reliable (usually). While they are more difficult to work on at home, they also have to be worked on a lot less.

Now, if you drive a Chrysler, however... :tongueout::faint:

Mrs.Cicero
11-14-2012, 09:54
Ever thought of giving him an allowance?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

It didn't work. But he wants to go to a cash budget starting in January, so we'll be trying it again then. I'm not thrilled, but I understand the reasoning so I'll give it my best shot. I don't live anywhere near a free ATM though, so he's going to have to bring the cash home for me to grocery shop. (He works near our credit union). I refuse to pay fees to take my money out of an ATM when I can do it for free from the credit union.

Yes, I'm that ch... frugal.

Glock20 10mm
11-14-2012, 10:41
I have always said the more connected we get, the less connected we are.

ca survivor
11-14-2012, 15:14

Pump their own gas.

where is that gas station that will pump your gas ?

aspartz
11-14-2012, 15:27
where is that gas station that will pump your gas ?

IIRC, anywhere in Oregon.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)