Please let me know if what I bought is ok. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Please let me know if what I bought is ok.

SC_Dave
11-10-2012, 12:38
I have reloaded before but it was 30 or more years ago. I just mounted and set-up my new Hornady LnL AP. My plan was to buy primers, powder and bullets in a small quantity to find what worked well for me. Well, thanks to obama going back in the stuff is flying off the shelf so I bought what I thought was best in larger quantities than I wanted too. Can you guys tell me if what I bought will work for the way I will use it please?

I only shoot 9mm. Glock 19

I only practice self defense drills. So I'll be shooting paper and steel. Not precision or match shooting just loading practice rounds.

What I bought while I could get it was;

2000 CCI 500 SP primers
1000 Federal Match SP primers
5 lbs of Winchester 231
1000 115 FMJ RN bullets

I know you guys may not consider this bulk but it was more than I wanted buy before experimenting a little. Let me know what you think if you don't mind. Thanks a lot, David

Colorado4Wheel
11-10-2012, 12:46
That will be fine. You will notice Federal are much easier to seat.

SC_Dave
11-10-2012, 13:05
That will be fine. You will notice Federal are much easier to seat.

Thanks Steve!

Hoser
11-10-2012, 13:05
You have a great start going.

Welcome back to the hobby.

shotgunred
11-10-2012, 13:10
The only suggestion I would make would be to switch to 124 gr bullets for your next thousand bullets.

I like win 231 in the 40sw and I am really starting to like it in the 9mm also.

njl
11-10-2012, 13:10
Should be fine...but why'd you buy so much more powder than anything else?...and why 2 different types of SPP? Was that all they had? You've got about 7000 rounds worth of powder there. It might have made more sense to start with 1lb each of a couple powders (if you were buying locally) to figure out which you prefer.

SC_Dave
11-10-2012, 13:21
Should be fine...but why'd you buy so much more powder than anything else?...and why 2 different types of SPP? Was that all they had? You've got about 7000 rounds worth of powder there. It might have made more sense to start with 1lb each of a couple powders (if you were buying locally) to figure out which you prefer.

I was buying what I could find on 2 different sites. It was not my ideal purchase, but it was what I could find. I tried to buy it locally but no stock. The panic buying forced my hand. I had NOTHING at all in the the way of supplies.
David

sourdough44
11-10-2012, 14:01
win-231 is a very versatile power, properly stored it will last a very long time. I think you did just fine with your purchase.

SARDG
11-10-2012, 14:06
I was buying what I could find on 2 different sites. It was not my ideal purchase, but it was what I could find. I tried to buy it locally but no stock. The panic buying forced my hand. I had NOTHING at all in the the way of supplies.
David
Did you pay 2 separate hazmat fees? I am confident that 1lb powders and (at the least) Federal SP Match primers (or even other brands) are available at one place - several one places actually, as I looked last night. That's always the problem with being unable to buy in real bulk - the hazmat fee.

Sometimes you can find other reloaders to split an order and max out a single hazmat fee shipment.

ssgrock3
11-10-2012, 14:14
I also prefer 124gr bullets over the 115.

SC_Dave
11-10-2012, 14:57
Did you pay 2 separate hazmat fees? I am confident that 1lb powders and (at the least) Federal SP Match primers (or even other brands) are available at one place - several one places actually, as I looked last night. That's always the problem with being unable to buy in real bulk - the hazmat fee.

Sometimes you can find other reloaders to split an order and max out a single hazmat fee shipment.

In a way I did but not really. One of the vendors I ordered from I had a $20.00 off coupon so it almost offset the hazmat fee. I am confident I can and will purchase smarter as soon as things settle down. I just didn't have any supplies at all, nothing but brass, so I figured if I was going to reload at all I had better get what I could find. You gotta remember, I am new at this, again. I got what I could from where I knew to get it. If you or anyone else has any vendors you deal with I would love to know who they are. I'm an old newbe. :wavey:

njl
11-10-2012, 15:10
You're shopping at the wrong places (unless you got some killer pricing on the stuff). Grafs has powder and primers in stock, in quantity.

That'll teach me to shop when in a hurry/distracted. I just noticed the order I put in yesterday I thought I was getting Federal SPP, but they're Fiocchi. I hope they work out. The sale price (price has been raised $30 since yesterday) was for a case of 12,000!

WiskyT
11-10-2012, 15:12
You got just what you need to make ball ammo, which is exactly what you wanted. The match primers were not necessary, but you take what you can get. I would load near the max from whatever manual you have as some of the data with lighter bullets and faster powders, like 231, will barely run the slide. Don't load 1,000 rounds without testing a given load in small batches because you might end up with a bucketful of ammo that won't cycle your gun.

SC_Dave
11-10-2012, 15:25
Thanks WhiskyT

fredj338
11-10-2012, 16:59
Primers are pretty much primers, & you always need those, so any brand will be fine. Powder, W231 will be fine. I never recommend buying powder in bulk until you have tried it & love it, otherwise it becomes expensive fertilizer, but you are already there. Bullets, pretty much the same thing; get what you can as cheaply as possible. You are throwing them away after all. One reason I shoot cheaper lead bullets in most calibers, cost. Buying in bulk saves you money & it never goes bad stored properly.

Tango 1Zero
11-10-2012, 17:09
The only suggestion I would make would be to switch to 124 gr bullets for your next thousand bullets.

I like win 231 in the 40sw and I am really starting to like it in the 9mm also.

Another like for win 231 I load 147 gr jhp and fmj 9mm. I like it.

scattershot
11-10-2012, 17:25
I'd say you're good to go. Might want to pick up a current manual, too, while you're at it. Good thinking to stock up, too. You never know what the future will bring.

SC_Dave
11-10-2012, 19:03
Yeah, I gotta get a scale and a manual.

birda40
11-11-2012, 08:16
In the geat out house of *****inois. most places I've tried are out of stock or won't ship to crap county. But I've bought when I see, HP-38 (Win-231) has been good for me also. I load 40's and 9mm. Have a few thousand 124 gn PD, good to go for a while. Don't understand but seems a shipping embargo to the home.

HexHead
11-11-2012, 08:30
I settled on 231 as my go to pistol powder for 9mm, .45 and .38. Works great with the 147gr 9mm I load.

I haven't tried Federal primers, but my 550 seems to prefer the CCI over Winchesters. You should be better than good to go.