Sig 516 or Colt 6940? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Sig 516 or Colt 6940?

TexasGlockster
11-10-2012, 14:41
My dad has finally decided to get into the AR thing and was asking for my thoughts on which AR to get. We went to our LGS and I tried walking him through some of the different options. In the end he like the Sig 516 and the Colt 6940. He liked that the Sig comes with a lifetime warranty. He also liked the battle sights it came with (yes, I know any set of battle sites can be swapped out). I personally am for the Colt, as its record is impeccable and the fact that it doesn't need a lifetime warranty...the thing is built to last (I think there is one though...can anyone confirm that for me?). The price difference is about $100 in favor of the Sig, but I don't think that is really something he is considering (the difference in price...not the price overall).

So what do you guys/gals think? Why?

JDennis
11-10-2012, 15:51
I say the colt. I do believe that the sig warranty only applies if the gun is kept stock. (may be wrong)

skeeter7
11-10-2012, 15:53
I would go Colt as well.

Cole125
11-10-2012, 16:01
That is not even a question, get the Colt 6940!

Sigs are junk.

Tim151515
11-10-2012, 16:19
there is no contest. sigs are one of the new guys and still trying to get the bugs worked out of their rifles. Colts are solid. period.

not only that, but they come with some VERY good QC. The only bad thing about Colt is the pattented driveway finish. but hey, its a dam AR15(that was meant for hard use i might add)

I would even maybe suggest the 6920. with the 6940 the rail is part of the upper and cannot be swapped, the 6920 is just a little bit more modular in that dept as it has the usgi style handguards that can be swapped out.

WoodenPlank
11-10-2012, 18:05
there is no contest. sigs are one of the new guys and still trying to get the bugs worked out of their rifles. Colts are solid. period.

not only that, but they come with some VERY good QC. The only bad thing about Colt is the pattented driveway finish. but hey, its a dam AR15(that was meant for hard use i might add)

I would even maybe suggest the 6920. with the 6940 the rail is part of the upper and cannot be swapped, the 6920 is just a little bit more modular in that dept as it has the usgi style handguards that can be swapped out.

Bingo. Colt by a mile.

frostamp
11-10-2012, 18:13
That is not even a question, get the Colt 6940!

Sigs are junk.

I don't know much bout Colts, but the comment about Sigs being junk is just silly.

I have a 516 gen2 that is an absolute beast. 1000s down range w/o a hiccup. Super nice tight fit. Crazy easy to clean and deadly accurate out to 200 yards. That's as far as I can go at my place.

ymmv

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Travclem
11-10-2012, 19:26
I don't know much bout Colts, but the comment about Sigs being junk is just silly.

I have a 516 gen2 that is an absolute beast. 1000s down range w/o a hiccup. Super nice tight fit. Crazy easy to clean and deadly accurate out to 200 yards. That's as far as I can go at my place.

ymmv

While the Sig may run 1k flawlessly, there are Colt's that have done 5-10x that much. I don't own a Sig or a Colt, but Colt has the street cred here. Sig has had some issues in their rifle dept., not to mention the quality of their handguns of late. Tight fit has little to do with AR quality, and all AR's are relatively easy to clean. Any quality AR should shoot at least 1.5MOA.

Cole125
11-10-2012, 20:22

ymmv

Sigs are new/unproven rifles, Colts are about as proven as a rifle can be.

Sig has had quality issues with all their firearms in recent years, non debatable fact. To choose a Sig AR over a Colt is not a good choice to put it politely.

TexasGlockster
11-11-2012, 06:53
Thanks all. You pretty much confirmed my belief that the Colt's track record sets it apart. Time to take dad to the LGS, and then hopefully the range! I'll read the manual obviously when we get it but just so I know, does it need to be cleaned and lubed prior to the first range trip? Also it will eat just about everything right? I don't usually buy really crappy ammo but I also had heard the Colt's don't really discriminate.

Aeromat809
11-11-2012, 20:36
Colt is a Colt!! Sig does not have the quality control!!!!

TexasGlockster
11-12-2012, 06:30
Newb Question (I apologize in advance): What is the thing on the end of the Sig barrel called vs. what's on the end of the Colt? The guy at my LGS was trying to tell me they were different. I want to say that he called one a muzzle break and one a flash suppressor. Anyone know which is which? The guy also suggested that one did a better job suppressing sound. Any truth to that, and if so which one would do that? Is that something that can be changed on a barrel, specifically the Colt?

I hope that is at least slightly clearer than mud. Sorry again, I know the question is made more confusing by my lack of technical knowledge. Thanks for the help.

:embarassed:

TexasGlockster
11-12-2012, 06:37
Sorry, newb question again: What is the difference between a Direct Gas System and a Link Piston System? It is the difference between the 6940 and the 6940P. Is there an advantage to either in terms of recoil? Ease of cleaning? Ability for follow-up shots?

Made in Austria
11-12-2012, 07:56
Colt of course. Kraut guns are nice but not in this case.

WoodenPlank
11-12-2012, 09:08
Newb Question (I apologize in advance): What is the thing on the end of the Sig barrel called vs. what's on the end of the Colt? The guy at my LGS was trying to tell me they were different. I want to say that he called one a muzzle break and one a flash suppressor. Anyone know which is which? The guy also suggested that one did a better job suppressing sound. Any truth to that, and if so which one would do that? Is that something that can be changed on a barrel, specifically the Colt?

I hope that is at least slightly clearer than mud. Sorry again, I know the question is made more confusing by my lack of technical knowledge. Thanks for the help.

:embarassed:

Muzzle brake - generally more flash, more blast, but less muzzle climb and/or rearward recoil.

Flash hider - less flash and blast, not as good at reducing recoil.

There are also hybrid designs that do a decent job of both.

Sorry, newb question again: What is the difference between a Direct Gas System and a Link Piston System? It is the difference between the 6940 and the 6940P. Is there an advantage to either in terms of recoil? Ease of cleaning? Ability for follow-up shots?

Gas piston can keep the bolt are afrom fouling as much, but will have more parts to maintain, a different area to clean (piston head) and will be harder to find spare parts for. There isn't a universal standard in AR gas piston systems.

Direct gas impingement will dirty up the bolt quite a bit (usually not a problem so long as you keep everything lubed), but is simpler, less parts to break, and easier to get replacement parts.

Many people will tell you piston can have more felt recoil and will be less accurate. That's debateable, depending on the exact system used.

IMO, piston only is really useful on a short barreled, full auto weapon, especially when run suppressed.

TexasGlockster
11-12-2012, 12:43
Muzzle brake - generally more flash, more blast, but less muzzle climb and/or rearward recoil.

Flash hider - less flash and blast, not as good at reducing recoil.

There are also hybrid designs that do a decent job of both.

Gas piston can keep the bolt are afrom fouling as much, but will have more parts to maintain, a different area to clean (piston head) and will be harder to find spare parts for. There isn't a universal standard in AR gas piston systems.

Direct gas impingement will dirty up the bolt quite a bit (usually not a problem so long as you keep everything lubed), but is simpler, less parts to break, and easier to get replacement parts.

Many people will tell you piston can have more felt recoil and will be less accurate. That's debateable, depending on the exact system used.

IMO, piston only is really useful on a short barreled, full auto weapon, especially when run suppressed.

Plank you rock. Thanks for the help. One last question, do either the muzzle break or the flash hider reduce the sound or the pressure wave? This may have been what you meant when you mentioned "blast" but I wanted to ask in case it wasn't. Thanks!

WoodenPlank
11-12-2012, 12:50
Plank you rock. Thanks for the help. One last question, do either the muzzle break or the flash hider reduce the sound or the pressure wave? This may have been what you meant when you mentioned "blast" but I wanted to ask in case it wasn't. Thanks!

Yep, that's what I meant by blast.

I used to run a Surefire 556k brake on my 10.5" SBR. It would regularly clear everyone else off the rifle bay at the local shooting range after less than 30 rounds. It also needed double ear pro to shoot it, unless you liked ringing in your ears.

AGain, my earlier post was a general statement, not a hard and fast rule. A lot depends on type of muzzle device, barrel length, and ammo used.

WayaX
11-12-2012, 12:53

If it truly "reduces" sound, then it is classified as a "silencer", and is subject to NFA rules. However, due to the direction of the blast, muzzle brakes will sound louder than a flash hider. My general rule of thumb is muzzle brakes for competition guns or guns that you have a silencer available for. Everything else gets a dedicated flash hider.