PayPal / Credit Card [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : PayPal / Credit Card

Adjuster
11-10-2012, 17:18
I make a lot of online purchases. I almost exclusively use PayPal. My PayPal is linked to my credit card so I get the reward points. My question is. When I pay with a credit card through PayPal is it the same as buying the item directly from the credit card? What I want to know is do I get all the protection that is offered through my credit card? Do I get the extended warranties? Do I get the fraud/dispute protection? Etc., etc.? Does my credit card see it as purchasing the item or does my credit card see it as a transaction with PayPal with no regard for the item?

Anyone know?

/

Calico Jack
11-10-2012, 17:21
Good question...

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

DaneA
11-10-2012, 17:30
What does it say on your credit card statement? I would imagine if all is says is payment to paypal then you wouldn't get the protection as though you were buying directly.

Gregg702
11-10-2012, 17:45
What does it say on your credit card statement? I would imagine if all is says is payment to paypal then you wouldn't get the protection as though you were buying directly.

At the very least, you would have to prove your purchase using paperwork from where ever you are buying from. It adds an extra step if you ever have a dispute, and a possible loophole for the card company to not side with you.

Adjuster
11-10-2012, 17:55
This may change my online purchasing methods.

/

itisbruno
11-10-2012, 18:59
I cannot speak to anything but fraud protection.

I got burned with a defective product off EBay that I paid with pay pal that is linked only to my credit card, not a bank account.

Credit card reversed charges without having to go thru the paypal dispute process.

Adjuster
11-10-2012, 19:15
I cannot speak to anything but fraud protection.

I got burned with a defective product off EBay that I paid with pay pal that is linked only to my credit card, not a bank account.

Credit card reversed charges without having to go thru the paypal dispute process.

Good to know, thanks.

/

hamster
11-10-2012, 19:35
I make a lot of online purchases. I almost exclusively use PayPal. My PayPal is linked to my credit card so I get the reward points. My question is. When I pay with a credit card through PayPal is it the same as buying the item directly from the credit card? What I want to know is do I get all the protection that is offered through my credit card? Do I get the extended warranties? Do I get the fraud/dispute protection? Etc., etc.? Does my credit card see it as purchasing the item or does my credit card see it as a transaction with PayPal with no regard for the item?

Anyone know?

/

Kindof a grey area. If you read the agreement when signing up for paypal. (Which nobody seems to do anymore) You'll remember the clause where you forfeit your right to do a "chargeback" via your credit card company. Paypal wants you to use their dispute resolution services rather than running disputes through your CC.

That said, you CAN still do a chargeback via your creditcard provided you have proof you were defrauded. Some cards are better than others at this as well. Amex has always treated me very well.

Worst case if Paypal doesn't side with you and you do a chargeback on the credit card...paypal could close your account. I'd have to re-read the contract but they may even be able recover the amount from your linked checking account.

itisbruno
11-10-2012, 19:38
... I'd have to re-read the contract but they may even be able recover the amount from your linked checking account.

That is why you never link a bank account to paypal.

:supergrin:

RenoF250
11-10-2012, 19:47
Why does anyone even use paypal? I won't touch it, too many people have been hosed by them and it brings me zero value.

FCastle88
11-11-2012, 00:42
Kindof a grey area. If you read the agreement when signing up for paypal. (Which nobody seems to do anymore) You'll remember the clause where you forfeit your right to do a "chargeback" via your credit card company. Paypal wants you to use their dispute resolution services rather than running disputes through your CC.

That said, you CAN still do a chargeback via your creditcard provided you have proof you were defrauded. Some cards are better than others at this as well. Amex has always treated me very well.

Worst case if Paypal doesn't side with you and you do a chargeback on the credit card...paypal could close your account. I'd have to re-read the contract but they may even be able recover the amount from your linked checking account.
I signed up for paypal several years ago, so maybe the user agreement has changed, but I don't remember anything about forfeiting your right to dispute with your credit card company. Last time I checked it said something along the lines of you can either dispute with paypal or your credit card, but if you do one you can't do the other. Pretty much you only get one shot. I wouldn't link my Paypal account to a bank account unless I did a lot of selling on ebay or something. Even then I'd use a account that is solely for that purpose, and keep it almost empty. Personally I'd just dispute with the credit card company, as I've heard Paypal tends to drag their "investigations" out for a while.

A credit card purchase using Paypal as an intermediary is still covered under the credit card companies fraud protection. Not sure about extended warranties, though they'd probably cover it if you have documentation of the purchase.

Slug71
11-11-2012, 00:50
Why does anyone even use paypal? I won't touch it, too many people have been hosed by them and it brings me zero value.

Never had issues with them. Have had a couple disputes too which was trouble free.

Adjuster
11-14-2012, 08:55
I called and spoke to Wells Fargo Visa today in regards to this issue. Customer service says any purchase, charge or service made through the card can be disputed and investigated. Not happy with a product then dispute it, feel you didn't receive proper service then dispute it, feel overcharged then dispute it, customer service was very clear on this almost like they want you to make disputes. I then specifically asked about PayPal. Customer service said it does not matter how you make your payment or how the payment is processed if it goes through the Visa card then you are backed by Visa. Now the bad news. I asked about extended warranty that some credit cards offer for instance American Express gives you an additional two years over and above the manufacturer warranty if you purchase the product with their card. Wells Fargo Visa does not offer this extended warranty service. Kind of bums me out.

I just received my Visa bill today and on the back of the envelope it says. 'Use Wells Fargo Visa to pay your cell phone bill and get up to $600.00 protection for theft or damage at no cost to you'.

/

DaneA
11-14-2012, 11:33
Question then is how will PayPal respond to a disputed charge? It may violate your tos with them.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

RWBlue
11-14-2012, 12:12
I work in IT Sec. I have done it sec for a large bank. An X boss works for paypal. With my current knowledgee, i use credit cards.

Hummer
11-14-2012, 12:34
That said, you CAN still do a chargeback via your creditcard provided you have proof you were defrauded. Some cards are better than others at this as well.

Right, if you use your credit card for payment through paypal, you still get your CC protections and can make a claim for a chargeback. My experience is that some of paypal's refund exclusion rules protect corrupt sellers, so I avoid paypal whenever possible and simply pay directly via credit card.

MrsKitty
11-16-2012, 15:20
I used Paypal with my debit card to pay for some stuff at Bath & Body Works earlier this week. My bank has it listed with both Paypal and Bath & Body Works so you would probably be covered.

Detectorist
11-16-2012, 16:06
I have credit with PayPal. I'm protected with every purchase I make.

mortpes
11-16-2012, 16:09
Use the shop safe number provided by your credit card.