Is drinking a whole bottle of wine with dinner - alone - bad?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Is drinking a whole bottle of wine with dinner - alone - bad??

BigChuck73
11-10-2012, 17:37
Cooked an incredible steak tonight and ran out of beer earlier in the week. I just drank a whole bottle (750ml 12.5% alcohol) of wine with my dinner.

How many beers would this equal? Is this a bad thing - per se? I drink probably 2-3 times a week, 3 beers max.

Drain You
11-10-2012, 17:38
What the hell is an ml?

HollowHead
11-10-2012, 17:40
What the hell is an ml?

Homeschooled? :rofl: HH

costanza187
11-10-2012, 17:41
As long as it is red, you should be OK. With steak, I would assume it should be a cabernet sauvignon. :supergrin:

....and for the record a standard 750ml bottle of wine is 5 "glasses" by serving definition. So yea, I think you way exceeded 3 beers worth of drinking.

Slug71
11-10-2012, 17:41
I'd say its safe enough to drink another bottle. Its only fermented grapes. Fruit is good for you. :)

Lone Wolf8634
11-10-2012, 17:42
Cooked an incredible steak tonight and ran out of beer earlier in the week. I just drank a whole bottle (750ml 12.5% alcohol) of wine with my dinner.

How many beers would this equal? Is this a bad thing - per se? I drink probably 2-3 times a week, 3 beers max.

Whenever I open a bottle of wine I drink the whole thing. No one else in my house will drink it with me.

And I don't like the taste after its sat in the fridge.

What the hell is an ml?

Milliliter.

mac66
11-10-2012, 17:43
Wine is good but you might feel bad later. Oh, and if you have to ask someone if you have a problem, you have a problem.

BigChuck73
11-10-2012, 17:47
Thanks guys! I'm going to switch to water....but I don't feel so bad for finishing the bottle. :)

certifiedfunds
11-10-2012, 18:03
What the hell is an ml?

:rofl:

Metric system for dummies here

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-use-the-metric-system.html

jfost11
11-10-2012, 18:07
A bottle of wine with dinner is fine. A bottle of wine FOR dinner may be a problem.

NMG26
11-10-2012, 18:10
I am sure that I would enjoy it.

Some times you just have to let go!

GlockPride
11-10-2012, 18:11
A bottle of wine with dinner is fine. A bottle of wine FOR dinner may be a problem.

Well played, sir, well played. No problem at all with it.

Now drink several glasses of water and swallow 2-3 aspirin before going to sleep. You'll thank me in the morning.

DaneA
11-10-2012, 18:17
What the hell is an ml?

Homeschooled? :rofl: HH

I'm betting Public schooled in the last decade or so.:tongueout::tongueout:

MarinePride
11-10-2012, 18:25
Wine has a lot of sugar content and I'm sure you were thirsty shortly after drinking it. The problem with wine is that you really should drink the whole bottle once it's uncorked. It won't go flat that way.

One bottle equals roughly 4 glasses and that equals 4 beers or 4 shots of whiskey.

In my opinion you are drinking too much. Alcohol is in fact poison and generally there are no benefits to it.

DIXIE DUCK
11-10-2012, 18:27

Now drink several glasses of water and swallow 2-3 aspirin before going to sleep. You'll thank me in the morning.

The water is a good idea. I never have a hangover after heavy drinking if I go to bed after a good meal and hydration.
Save the aspirin for the morning if your still feeling it in your head, taking it now in combination with the alcohol could be harmful to your stomach.

And a bottle of wine to yourself isnt really a big deal. I enjoy finishing the occasional bottle of white wine or champagne and find it to be just about the perfect amount to get quite intoxicated but not wanting a drop more, thats about the most I would ever want to drink. If you find yourself pulling another cork well then I think you might have some issues.

Foxterriermom
11-10-2012, 18:27
I am a wine drinker but don't drink as frequently as I would as I have an open bottle policy - if the bottle is open, it has to be finished since I don't believe in "leftover" wine. I could drink an entire bottle myself, but I know I shouldn't so I don't drink alone.

Drain You
11-10-2012, 18:34
:crying:I once traded 1000 Pico liters of milk for 4 gills worth

czsmithGT
11-10-2012, 18:35
Who needs dinner?

norton
11-10-2012, 18:37
Friend of mine used to mix Wine and Beer together.
Called it a train wreck.
Because the next day:crying:

Andy123
11-10-2012, 18:40
Just for historical perspective, the 750ml bottle of wine became the standard size during the roman empire. It was the daily ration of wine for a roman soldier to drink with his dinner.

Salute.

Bruce M
11-10-2012, 18:43
I am presuming that since you cooked you were probably at home which negates driving (unless you run out and need to make a late night trip to the liquor store.) The next question is, of course, what wine? Did it go well with the steak? If the wine did not pour from a cardboard box, and did not have either your eyesight or the outline of a steam locomotive on the label, things are looking up.

BigChuck73
11-10-2012, 18:51
Ran out of beer and didn't have a nice red to go with steak so I went with a Riesling. Actually, quite good together. Sweet wine and a medium rare steak went well together.

Not really feeling drunk - just a light buzz. I say it's about 2-3 of my 8.5% IPA beers I drink.

Thanks for the advise everyone....never really drank that much wine before.

.264 magnum
11-10-2012, 19:03
Ran out of beer and didn't have a nice red to go with steak so I went with a Riesling. Actually, quite good together. Sweet wine and a medium rare steak went well together.

Not really feeling drunk - just a light buzz. I say it's about 2-3 of my 8.5% IPA beers I drink.

Thanks for the advise everyone....never really drank that much wine before.

That might be better, hangover-wise, than drinking a bottle of cab, merlot, zin, etc. White wines have zero or almost zero cogeners and zero sulfites.

Unless the riesling was a cheap high residual sugar item you should be good to go.

I agree that riesling, especially a dry, low RS, selection goes well with red meat, very well actually.

Bruce M
11-10-2012, 19:16
Good to hear your selection went well with your steak. At the risk of sounding like a prepper especially with winter weather coming my opinion is that one should have (more than)a few (cases of) bottles for an emergency reserve...:whistling:

jp3975
11-10-2012, 19:30
Usually a bottle of wine barely gives me a buzz.

I drank a bottle of 14% chocolate wine last weekend.[it was a gift] and it didnt take me where i wanted to go.

F350
11-10-2012, 19:38
Added important info from a guy who use to drink half a bottle of 101 proof bourbon with dinner. A bottle of wine just helps keep the pallet clean and enhance the taste.

Now drink several glasses of water and swallow 2-3 aspirin and have a good pee before going to sleep. You'll thank me in the morning.

ray9898
11-10-2012, 20:39
Generally 12oz beer = 6oz wine = 1oz liquor. Of course higher contents throws that off.

Hummer
11-10-2012, 21:01
Just for historical perspective, the 750ml bottle of wine became the standard size during the roman empire. It was the daily ration of wine for a roman soldier to drink with his dinner.

Salute.
Interesting and very likely true. A 750 is enough for me, and I love drinking wine. As a winemaker I make and appreciate a wide variety of wines. The better the wine, the more satisfying it is, so I tend to drink less of a very good wine.

Wine should make you feel good, even better, for drinking it. Otherwise, it's not a wine worth drinking.

I stock maybe 1500+ bottles of my own wines in my cellars. When friends are over we open and taste a little from many different bottles, then vacuum close them to drink another time. Wine tastings give a great perspective on the infinite possibilities from fermented fruits, and of the winemaker's art. http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g292/COHummer/Wine%20Making/smileytoast.gif

BSA70
11-10-2012, 21:18
I can't imagine the calorie/sugar intake for one meal. Do you have a beer belly?

NEOH212
11-10-2012, 21:20
Is drinking a whole bottle of wine with dinner - alone - bad??

For your health, yes it's bad.

But as long as your not driving anywhere after, your good to go!

:wavey:

Folsom_Prison
11-11-2012, 00:20
My manly wine!..... PBR or millwaukees best light! Hahaha

FullClip
11-11-2012, 05:59
Once in a while I'll crack a bottle of Mendozen malbec or merlot while I'm grilling a good steak.

One glass while cooking.
One glass while eating (maybe a top-up during dinner)
Finish the bottle off after dinner with a good cigar.

Not something to do every day maybe, but once a month or so won't kill ya. Like others have said, I don't put wine back in the fridge once it's open.

dango
11-11-2012, 06:03
Unless you're me , casual conversation may be tuff but other than that , no biggie!:tongueout:

DanaT
11-11-2012, 07:00
I can't imagine the calorie/sugar intake for one meal. Do you have a beer belly?

So absinthe is much better methinks.

.264 magnum
11-11-2012, 07:11
Wine has a lot of sugar content and I'm sure you were thirsty shortly after drinking it. The problem with wine is that you really should drink the whole bottle once it's uncorked. It won't go flat that way.

One bottle equals roughly 4 glasses and that equals 4 beers or 4 shots of whiskey.

In my opinion you are drinking too much. Alcohol is in fact poison and generally there are no benefits to it.

Wow:
1. Most wines, excepting desert wines, sweet Moscato and a few others have very little residual sugar. Typically dornfelders, rieslings and gewurztraminers drink between 1/2-6% residual sugar content with 5/6% being somewhat unusual. Cab, merlot, zin, malbec, cab franc, pinot noir, chard, pinot gris, etc. drink at about 0% RS.

2. Still wines have zero "frizzante" (carbon dioxide) they oxidize quickly after opening, without special handling this occurs quickly. Lots of big red wines are better the second day. Many whites are good for two or even three days.

3. Lots of docs believe alcohol has significant health benefits.

.264 magnum
11-11-2012, 07:19

The sugar content from his riesling would be less than drinking two regular soda pops - a lot less. If he drank a low RS rieslings from say Oregon the sugar content might have been almost zero. The entire bottle likely contained 600 calories plus or minus 50, that's similar to drinking four deers - not the end of the world.

ETA - I just looked it up. His sugar intake from the riesling bottle, worst case, would have been less than a few ounces of coca-cola.

.264 magnum
11-11-2012, 07:30
Once in a while I'll crack a bottle of Mendozen malbec or merlot while I'm grilling a good steak.

One glass while cooking.
One glass while eating (maybe a top-up during dinner)
Finish the bottle off after dinner with a good cigar.

Not something to do every day maybe, but once a month or so won't kill ya. Like others have said, I don't put wine back in the fridge once it's open.

So much win. I think a nice soft Malbec, my favs. tend to be from Mendoza as well, goes perfectly with steak. The french are beginning to sell straight Malbecs more regularly once again. Some are excellent.

skeeter1959
11-11-2012, 16:41
Only if it had a screw top....

HollowHead
11-11-2012, 16:48
Lots of big red wines are better the second day.

Second day super Tuscans are what life's really about. HH

SevenSixtyTwo
11-11-2012, 17:23
I'm not as drink as you thunk I am!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZmDWltBziM&feature=related

Bottle of wine wyouwd wasst me...

Averageman
11-11-2012, 17:57
If you're drinking it with a nice steak over dinner in your dining room by candle light it is fine.
If you're drinking it under an overpass with a can of Chili over a sterno burner,....well not so much.

devildog2067
11-11-2012, 19:35
I drank a bottle of 14% chocolate wine last weekend.[it was a gift] and it didnt take me where i wanted to go.

To hell? Because that's the only place I'd drink a chocolate wine...

(but to be fair, I wouldn't waste a gift either, and that's too horrible to re-gift)

HollowHead
11-11-2012, 19:48
For your health, yes it's bad.

Actually, it is not. HH

GVFlyer
11-11-2012, 20:09
A bottle of wine with dinner is perfect for two. That is assuming, of course, that you had a cocktail beforehand and plan on an aperitif afterwards.

If you plan on doing neither and are not dining with another, then I guess, imbibing the entire bottle of wine by yourself is just ducky.

jollygreen
11-11-2012, 20:13

I'd always heard 1 12 oz. beer = 1 glass of wine. Four glasses of wine per bottle? = 4 beers?

jollygreen
11-11-2012, 20:16
Only if it had a screw top....

What's the difference in the wines with a cork and wines with a screw?

Recalcitrant
11-11-2012, 20:27

Salute.

I have no idea if this is true, but I like it!

As others have said, if I'm popping the cork the bottle will be finished. And a good malbec is hard to beat. :cool:

janice6
11-11-2012, 20:32
Thanks guys! I'm going to switch to water....but I don't feel so bad for finishing the bottle. :)

When you are buzzed on wine, water doesn't help.

janice6
11-11-2012, 20:33
What's the difference in the wines with a cork and wines with a screw?

Price...........

Gills63
11-11-2012, 20:36
I think a lot of there wine and beer was watered down.

But in regards to OP. A bottle of 6% Boones? No problem. A bottle of 13% Merlot? You might have a headache for breakfast. Depends on your level of training.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

certifiedfunds
11-11-2012, 20:39
When you are buzzed on wine, water doesn't help.

Switching to water always helps. One of the best hangover preventatives is maintaining hydration during drinking and chugging water at bedtime. Its almost miraculous.

certifiedfunds
11-11-2012, 20:40
Actually, it is not. HH

30 days between "heavy" drinking = no lasting damage.

Per Mrs. Certifieds pharmacology professor

Scott3670
11-11-2012, 20:41
I plead the fifth on whether I consume a fifth during a meal.

Seriously... drinking a bottle each night is not good, but the occasional bottle - IMHO - isn't a problem. But make sure it's a good wine and not Mad Dog or Night Train.:tongueout:

Heckler&Koch
11-11-2012, 21:54
One bottle isn't enough but 2 is too much. 1.5 bottles is perfect.

certifiedfunds
11-11-2012, 21:56
As long as you aren't partaking of marijuana you should be fine.

jp3975
11-12-2012, 00:18
To hell? Because that's the only place I'd drink a chocolate wine...

(but to be fair, I wouldn't waste a gift either, and that's too horrible to re-gift)

My girlfriends mom gave it to us. It was actually a gift for her originally but she doesnt drink. The girlfriend had a small amount and didnt care much for it. I drank the rest.

It wasnt terrible tasting. But the buzz wasnt nice like what i feel from what i normally drink...which would typically be Chimay, Grand Marnier, vodka, and sometimes port or sake.

costanza187
11-12-2012, 05:48
http://www.eonline.com/eol_images/Entire_Site/20091211/293.snooki.jersey.lr.121109.jpg

Just one bottle? Surely you cannot let somebody like this outdo you!

eracer
11-12-2012, 05:56
Sadly, the last glass often tastes the best, unless I'm smart enough to open the bottle a few hours before dinnertime.

DanaT
11-12-2012, 14:47
30 days between "heavy" drinking = no lasting damage.

Per Mrs. Certifieds pharmacology professor

How us heavy defined?

Are (real) absinthe shots heavy drinking (btw I do not recommend this. Drink it as it is supposed to be drunken. Something 70% is not made to be downed in one shot)?

RDW
11-12-2012, 14:53
Of course its "NOT BAD!"

slick64
11-12-2012, 15:23
Damn, I average 5 roughly bottles of wine a week minimum.

airmotive
11-12-2012, 15:42
Wine is good but you might feel bad later. Oh, and if you have to ask someone if you have a problem, you have a problem.

One more reason to drink alone...No one asking any dip**** questions.:rofl:

certifiedfunds
11-12-2012, 15:59
How us heavy defined?

Are (real) absinthe shots heavy drinking (btw I do not recommend this. Drink it as it is supposed to be drunken. Something 70% is not made to be downed in one shot)?

Good question. You should embark on a study.

Comment was made in a student context so there's that.

Point being your liver will repair itself but if you let it if you continue repeat onslaughts damage can occur.

But on the other hand the liver is a big organ so it should be able to take care of itself

mike from st pe
11-12-2012, 19:40
Now drinking an entire box of wine is a problem.
LMAO

Caver 60
11-12-2012, 20:01

Salute.

Yes, but wine in that day and age had well less than 1/2 the alcohol content of modern table wine. In fact it was probably closer to 1/3 the alcohol content of most modern table wines.

And I don't buy the religious rights claims that the wine was mixed with water in those days, because the water was unsafe to drink. If you mix contaminated water with wine, you get contaminated wine.

It's just in those olden days they didn't have the modern knowledge and techniques to produce wine with higher alcohol content. Beer was the strong drink in those days.

And of course distillation had to wait several hundred more years.

.264 magnum
11-12-2012, 20:59
Yes, but wine in that day and age had well less than 1/2 the alcohol content of modern table wine. In fact it was probably closer to 1/3 the alcohol content of most modern table wines.

And I don't buy the religious rights claims that the wine was mixed with water in those days, because the water was unsafe to drink. If you mix contaminated water with wine, you get contaminated wine.

It's just in those olden days they didn't have the modern knowledge and techniques to produce wine with higher alcohol content. Beer was the strong drink in those days.

And of course distillation had to wait several hundred more years.

I'm not claiming you are wrong. But I've always heard and I've read Roman and other ancient wines were very strong - both in flavor and alcohol. From a distribution standpoint high alc. wines likely made sense. Alc. is a great preservative and it has anti-freeze qualities.

HollowHead
11-12-2012, 21:11
I'm not claiming you are wrong. But I've always heard and I've read Roman and other ancient wines were very strong - both in flavor and alcohol. From a distribution standpoint high alc. wines likely made sense. Alc. is a great preservative and it has anti-freeze qualities.

The Romans also invented Grapa, and that **** will knock you on your ass today just as it did two thousand years ago. HH

Halojumper
11-12-2012, 21:16

Metric system for dummies here

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-use-the-metric-system.html

In this case, that might be redundant! :)

Spiffums
11-12-2012, 21:29
As long as you don't go all Wino in the gutter your ok.

.264 magnum
11-12-2012, 21:32
The Romans also invented Grapa, and that **** will knock you on your ass today just as it did two thousand years ago. HH

Yea. I'm on a self-imposed lifetime ban from Grapa. I've been stupid drunk twice and Grapa was a big player both times. Never again.

DanaT
11-13-2012, 14:25
Good question. You should embark on a study.

Comment was made in a student context so there's that.

Point being your liver will repair itself but if you let it if you continue repeat onslaughts damage can occur.

But on the other hand the liver is a big organ so it should be able to take care of itself

I will study the problem Friday.

DanaT
11-13-2012, 14:30

There is some truth. I am very near the roman city of kaiser augst. Very near. The Romans had problems because they could not get suitable wine grapes to grow so wine had to be imported.

In the last 20 or so years the Germans have figured out how get Pinot noir grapes to work well. It's called spaetburgunder but essentially pinot noir.

DanaT
11-13-2012, 14:31
Yea. I'm on a self-imposed lifetime ban from Grapa. I've been stupid drunk twice and Grapa was a big player both times. Never again.

A minimum of 3 successful tries is needed for any statisical confidence in a solution.

repooc
11-13-2012, 14:42
Moderation in everything including moderation.

Clutch Cargo
11-13-2012, 15:23
With a large steak, it sounds good.