I know why unemployment is so high. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I know why unemployment is so high.

DaneA
11-10-2012, 18:25
Because these people are not employable.
I have been trying to find a cashier for the last two weeks. A simple job of running a cash register and being nice to customers.

I have been through around 100 applications and have only found 4-5 that even make the cut to get called in for an interview.

Some interesting things on applications though:
Under customer service skills:
"im about good at that"
Under previous employment:
Employer Name:
didn't have one
Address:
Don't know
Phone number:
phone book

And best of all, when filling out an application it is a good idea to put a phone number on it to be contacted at.

Really it should be this hard to find a qualified person to run a cash register. It isn't exactly skilled labor.

MarinePride
11-10-2012, 18:27
It's the continuing dumbing down process of the USA and you are seeing the results of it, firsthand.

frizz
11-10-2012, 18:49
I have been trying to find a cashier for the last two weeks. A simple job of running a cash register and being nice to customers.

I have been through around 100 applications and have only found 4-5 that even make the cut to get called in for an interview.

"im about good at that"
Employer Name:
didn't have one
Address:
Don't know
Phone number:
phone book

And best of all, when filling out an application it is a good idea to put a phone number on it to be contacted at.

Really it should be this hard to find a qualified person to run a cash register. It isn't exactly skilled labor.

:upeyes: Awful. I wonder if any of them were just putting in applications so that they can stay qualified for unemployment benefits.

And you aren't kidding about the ease of the job. When I was working fast food in high school...

That says it right there. I was still in high school, as were many co-workers, so that means a high-school dropout could do it.

Bruce M
11-10-2012, 18:56
Whether they know no better or it is intentional, it is sad and telling.

snubfan
11-10-2012, 19:01
I agree totally with MarinePride on the dumbing down process. I also think the process got a little out of hand and the populous was dumbed down a little too much. My evidence for this theory is the re-election of BHO.

I do carpet installation and the first question I ask prospective help is "Can you read a tape measure?" I've never been told "No" and I've rarely called out a width and length and had it handed to me cut correctly. The worst part is that when they screw it up, it's never long, it's always short.

geminicricket
11-10-2012, 19:02
You had 4 or 5 applicants who wanted a job. All of the rest were earning the unemployment benefits.

ChuteTheMall
11-10-2012, 19:06
But they can vote, so somebody thinks they are worth thousands of dollars per year.

:deadhorse:

RonS
11-10-2012, 19:08
Hope you don't want them to pass a drug screen too.

Indianashooter
11-10-2012, 19:15
Some times I give more than the amount due so I can get an even amount back. The last couple years all I get is a glazed face looking back at me.
When I was in high school, I worked at a gas station (they weren't called convenience yet) and we rarely put the amount tendered in the register. All change was counted back from our head. Try that now and see what happens.

svtpwnz
11-10-2012, 19:20
I know exactly how you feel. You think it's hard trying to find a cashier. Try sorting through applications for a carpet cleaning technition with a good driving record, clear drug screen, no criminal record and trustworthy enough to send to customers homes alone and be responsible for $100,000 worth of equipment.

michael e
11-10-2012, 19:26
Some times I give more than the amount due so I can get an even amount back. The last couple years all I get is a glazed face looking back at me.
When I was in high school, I work at a gas station (they weren't called convenience yet) and we rarely put the amount tendered in the register. All change was counted back from our head. Try that now and see what happens.
I love doing this . Have you had them get a manager to help them figure it out yet? Even after yo tell them several times what they owe you.

F350
11-10-2012, 19:26
When I was in high school, I work at a gas station (they weren't called convenience yet) and we rarely put the amount tendered in the register. All change was counted back from our head. Try that now and see what happens.

Me too; AND in Indiana at that time sales tax was calculated after the sale; so if a guy wants $10, you have to figure what the tax is on $10...BUT wait that puts the purchase price under a couple steps of the sales tax so you have to add back in a few cents to make everything come out.

I'm with you on the even change, but even then all they have to do is enter the amount tendered, what I like to do is give then say a $10 on a $6.50 purchase, let then ring it up then say "Oh I have the .50 and watch the fear jump up in their eyes :rofl::rofl: Great fun if you have the time to kill.

hamster
11-10-2012, 19:29

To be fair, nowadays everything goes into the register for transaction tracking, inventory management, etc...

I'd want employees capable of basic math, but I'd also want them using the POS system.

ChuteTheMall
11-10-2012, 19:30

When I have a little time to burn, I'll do that too.

Cashier: "That'll be $4.37."
Me: "Here's $5.12."
Cashier:{deer in headlight panic}(tries to get rid of me with a dollar bill instead of correct change)
:rofl:

JohnBT
11-10-2012, 19:30
"I do carpet installation and the first question I ask prospective help is "Can you read a tape measure?""

(The following is not intended to blame the student. The school did it.)

Back in the '80s, I had a high school graduate referred to me for job placement assistance. He'd been trained for two years at the tech center to do siding work, etc.

He could read a tape measure, but nobody would keep him on a job. He measured everything in sixteenths. "That's 53 inches and one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, eleven sixteenths."

He couldn't reduce fractions and couldn't run a saw either.

But the school said he was prepared. (I was a state employee fwiw.)

John

NeverMore1701
11-10-2012, 19:31
No doubt. The store I used to work at (and may be again in a few weeks) has had an ~80% employee turnover in the last 5 months, and the acting SM had a hell of a time finding people.

DaneA
11-10-2012, 19:33
I know exactly how you feel. You think it's hard trying to find a cashier. Try sorting through applications for a carpet cleaning technition with a good driving record, clear drug screen, no criminal record and trustworthy enough to send to customers homes alone and be responsible for $100,000 worth of equipment.

Yeah, been there too. I had a carpet cleaning business. I had to send people into medical facilities with million dollar machines to clean carpet. I feel your pain.

unit1069
11-10-2012, 19:33

Well what do you expect when you greedy capitalists won't pay a minimum of $50M/year for customer service work to someone who answers, when asked to pick up a scrap of paper on the floor, "That's not my job"?

Cclass
11-10-2012, 19:34
A friend of mine was trying to hire a delivery driver. Had a guy apply with multiple DUI's and a suspended license. :rofl:

He ended up hiring a retiree that just wanted to get out of the house. I know a few positions that have been filled by seniors because the youth prospects sucked.

hi-power man
11-10-2012, 19:45
Approx 100 yards from the LGS I shoot in every week is a bakery. I sometimes stop there after shooting to pick up some cookies. A couple weeks ago, there appears a new young lady behind the counter. I tell her two oatmeal cookies and she replies, they are three for a dollar. I respond, I see the sign but there is only my wife and I; we don't feed people food to our dog, so I only need two. She then proceeds to look all about to find the calculator to give me my price.

DairyFresh
11-10-2012, 19:50

What is the remuneration?

Gonzoso
11-10-2012, 19:50
Approx 100 yards from the LGS I shoot in every week is a bakery. I sometimes stop there after shooting to pick up some cookies. A couple weeks ago, there appears a new young lady behind the counter. I tell her two oatmeal cookies and she replies, they are three for a dollar. I respond, I see the sign but there is only my wife and I; we don't feed people food to our dog, so I only need two. She then proceeds to look all about to find the calculator to give me my price.

Geeze just buy the extra cookie for god's sake!

Gunhaver
11-10-2012, 19:56

Maybe she was just very religious and you made her nervous?

jfost11
11-10-2012, 19:56
:upeyes: Awful. I wonder if any of them were just putting in applications so that they can stay qualified for unemployment benefits.

And you aren't kidding about the ease of the job. When I was working fast food in high school...

That says it right there. I was still in high school, as were many co-workers, so that means a high-school dropout could do it.

I'd put money on you being right. A few years back, my sister-in-law was out of work after having her son. Her husband was doing a year in the regional jail at the time. Between my wife and my mother-in-law, all the leg work of finding out where to go and what to do to draw unemployment was done for her. All she had to do was sign a paper and fill out a certain number of applications a month(I forget how many but it was low), and she would be paid almost as much as she made working as a nursing home butt wiper. She was too lazy to fill out applications, so she never got a dime. The sad part is, she actually finished high school.

CitizenOfDreams
11-10-2012, 20:11
I can count the change, read a tape measure, calculate fractions and pass the drug test. If I tried hard enough, I could even be polite to customers. But you probably cannot pay me more than I make now (and I don't make much).

gilfo
11-10-2012, 20:22

Cashier:{deer in headlight panic}(tries to get rid of me with a dollar bill instead of correct change)

I guess I am one of the dopey ones. But if you handed me $5.12 for a $4.37 bill I would ask you what the hell are you doing.

harlenm
11-10-2012, 20:26
Trying to find help is a joke. Some of the applicants we get are so bad. We've had people that attached multiple pages to the application with their job history because they can't hold a job for more than 3 weeks. Or people that can't spell.

One section of application has an hours available section with the hours that we are open written right above it. Don't say you are available 8-4 when we are open 9:30-5:30. Simple reading skills are a necessity.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

larry_minn
11-10-2012, 20:33
I was in a business yesterday. The one guy was doing weights so he asks the other guy. "Find a calculator and add 3100 and 3680" I said "6780" in normal voice. 2nd guy gets calculator, asks for numbers again, (I say "6780") 2nd guy says "he is right? How did you do that, so fast?"
I am trying to find a worker for a friends business. I am almost tempted to do job myself. Thing is he can't pay me what doing that kind of work would cost for me. (I am not young/hungry, agile....anymore)
BUT I could make him $$$ in short time.

JohnBT
11-10-2012, 20:46
" How did you do that, so fast?""

<Cuz I'm almost average and you're dumb>

How? Because it was easier to learn to do simple arithmetic than to always be looking for a calculator. You know what drove me nuts working in an office; people were always looking for scissors or a box cutter instead of just carrying a pocket knife.

We didn't have $10 calculators until after I finished grad school.

John

Scott3670
11-10-2012, 20:58
I got a call from a very polite gentleman who asked if it was OK for him to work at a pistol range despite being an ex-con. I quickly advised him that he couldn't even set foot in a gun store because he would be in violation of Federal law. He said that he didn't want to work in the store, just the range and wanted to be the range officer. I explained to him the rules for both physical and constructive possession of a firearm by a prohibited person. He was sad but said that he underdstood and thanked me for my time.

The sad part is that he was extremely polite on the phone and spoke very well. I felt kind of sad for him, but I had absolutely no choice.

ChuteTheMall
11-10-2012, 20:59
I guess I am one of the dopey ones. But if you handed me $5.12 for a $4.37 bill I would ask you what the hell are you doing.

I'd rather get back $0.75 change than $0.63, and I'm tired of all these pennies accumulating.

Z71bill
11-10-2012, 21:12
I'd rather get back $0.75 change than $0.63, and I'm tired of all these pennies accumulating.

I would give you your change

1 quarter
3 dimes
3 nickles
5 pennies

You said you wanted $.75 in change

:tongueout:

Scott3670
11-10-2012, 21:17
I would give you your change

1 quarter
3 dimes
3 nickles
5 pennies

You said you wanted $.75 in change

:tongueout:

Winner. :rofl:

Z71bill
11-10-2012, 21:26
Winner. :rofl:

I would even have counted it back -

$4.37

3 pennies - $4.40
3 nickles - $4.55
3 dimes - $4.85
1 quarter - $5.10
2 pennies - $5.12

Thanks for shopping with us!

Averageman
11-10-2012, 21:37
Someone was explaining that when you add up all of the available Benefits it comes out to about making 45K a year.
Now when you can fill out an application screw it up and still get 45K a year and get to sleep until 9am every morning, I have to ask, who is the stupid one?

srhoades
11-10-2012, 21:41
"I do carpet installation and the first question I ask prospective help is "Can you read a tape measure?""

(The following is not intended to blame the student. The school did it.)

Back in the '80s, I had a high school graduate referred to me for job placement assistance. He'd been trained for two years at the tech center to do siding work, etc.

He could read a tape measure, but nobody would keep him on a job. He measured everything in sixteenths. "That's 53 inches and one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, eleven sixteenths."

He couldn't reduce fractions and couldn't run a saw either.

But the school said he was prepared. (I was a state employee fwiw.)

John

Is eleven sixteenths reducible?

NeverMore1701
11-10-2012, 21:43

Sure, to twenty-two thirty-seconds, duh!

:supergrin:

Z71bill
11-10-2012, 21:49

5 and 1/2 eighths.

CAcop
11-10-2012, 21:52

"im about good at that"
Employer Name:
didn't have one
Address:
Don't know
Phone number:
phone book

I think I found your problem.

Whenever the drive through ****s up my order my wife wonders why they can't get it right. I always reply with what do you expect for minimum wage?

svtpwnz
11-10-2012, 21:53
What is the remuneration?

The guys work on a commission scale of 25-40% of the total ticket price. They earn more for evening/after hours work and get added compensation for add on's. They also keep 100% of all tips they make.

Ragnar
11-10-2012, 21:55
Most people think Idiocracy was a movie. Nope, it was a documentary.

certifiedfunds
11-10-2012, 21:56

Whenever the drive through ****s up my order my wife wonders why they can't get it right. I always reply with what do you expect for minimum wage?

I expect you to work like you don't want to make minimum wage for the rest of your life.

certifiedfunds
11-10-2012, 21:57

"im about good at that"
Employer Name:
didn't have one
Address:
Don't know
Phone number:
phone book

The minimum wage really needs to go away. Some people need to be paid less.

FLGatorFan
11-10-2012, 22:38
I expect you to work like you don't want to make minimum wage for the rest of your life.

Excluding students trying to make a little cash while in school, why would anyone worth a crap want a cashier job?

LEO/Dad
11-11-2012, 07:51
I once returned a pair of reading glasses that broke shortly after I purchased them. When I went in, I still had my receipt, they cost $5.00. I noticed immediately that the same glasses had gone up to $6.97. Whatever, just give me a new pair, the same thing. The clerk absolutely did not know what to do, and there was no one else in the store for her to ask. I told her, they were the same and and even exchange was fine with me. She said, "No, I have to give you cash credit for the pair, that you returned, then I will give you a new pair at n/c". I told her that wasn't right, then she wanted to argue with me that it was. I then offered to pay the difference for the same new glasses. The clerk still refused. There was a lady in line with me, that just smiled and shook her heard. The clerk stood her ground, the line was getting longer, so I took the money and new glasses and left the store. I was half way to my truck in the parking lot, when I stopped and turned around and went back into the store, and just laid the money down on her counter, and left. The clerk, looked at me with a scowl on her face, but didn't say a word. They lady in line, was almost laughing. I really like these (D...........G........) stores though, and shop in them often.

cowboywannabe
11-11-2012, 07:59
what do expect when minimum wage pays the same as unemployment?

DanaT
11-11-2012, 08:06
Well what do you expect when you greedy capitalists won't pay a minimum of $50M/year for customer service work to someone who answers, when asked to pick up a scrap of paper on the floor, "That's not my job"?

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Personal attacks of GT members is frowned upon.

Reissman
11-11-2012, 08:12

"im about good at that"
Employer Name:
didn't have one
Address:
Don't know
Phone number:
phone book

I was at a sports store yesterday and my bill was $170. I had $140 cash and wanted to put the rest on my debit card. it took the checkout bimbo and two managers to figure out how to do it.... My wife was ready to reach across the counter and strangle them...

Its rampant...

droidfire
11-11-2012, 08:48

You work in my business and the job description is "what the boss wants you to do while you are on the clock".

The 'not my job line' may fly on a union floor, but you're not being paid to milk a time clock, you are being paid to serve the dynamic needs of the business as an entity. Any labor you are qualified to do is within your sphere of duties should the boss determine that need.

I wouldn't expect someone who never picked up a circular saw to go cut me a bunch of 2x4's to length to stick out a wall.

I wouldn't expect someone classified as disabled due to a bad knee to be expected to bend down and pick up that scrap of paper without assistance, such as from a broom/dustpan combo with handles at least chest height. To this end that person will be less likely to end up being asked to pick up that piece of paper, because if someone else is closer then the tool needed, guess what the more efficient use of labor versus time is?

If you don't want to do what you are being asked to do, you will be replaced with someone else who will. Not that hard.

Pretty much anything else can be taught. Someone wants to show up and do what they are told, they can stay. Someone wants to show up and try to dictate to management how to do their job and they can go hinder someone else's business.

DaneA
11-11-2012, 09:25

Funny thing is that I don't pay minimum wage. I always try to start at least $8/hour. And the company I work for has a lot of upward mobility.

The guys work on a commission scale of 25-40% of the total ticket price. They earn more for evening/after hours work and get added compensation for add on's. They also keep 100% of all tips they make.

Shoot, maybe I'll come work for you. I used to only pay my techs 20%. Do you pay extra for IICRC certs?

Tx-SIG229
11-11-2012, 10:07
thank god jack-in-the-box will hire parolees...

John Galt
11-11-2012, 10:30
You work in my business and the job description is "what the boss wants you to do while you are on the clock".

The 'not my job line' may fly on a union floor, but you're not being paid to milk a time clock, you are being paid to serve the dynamic needs of the business as an entity. Any labor you are qualified to do is within your sphere of duties should the boss determine that need.

I wouldn't expect someone who never picked up a circular saw to go cut me a bunch of 2x4's to length to stick out a wall.

I wouldn't expect someone classified as disabled due to a bad knee to be expected to bend down and pick up that scrap of paper without assistance, such as from a broom/dustpan combo with handles at least chest height. To this end that person will be less likely to end up being asked to pick up that piece of paper, because if someone else is closer then the tool needed, guess what the more efficient use of labor versus time is?

If you don't want to do what you are being asked to do, you will be replaced with someone else who will. Not that hard.

Pretty much anything else can be taught. Someone wants to show up and do what they are told, they can stay. Someone wants to show up and try to dictate to management how to do their job and they can go hinder someone else's business.

I work production machining/industrial maintenance in a non-union shop. I've got 15 years in this plant and 23 years machining experiance. Without trying to brag, I am very good at my job. If you ask me to clean the toilets because your janitor called in, well thats probably not going to happen. You could fire me, and train somebody else to do my job. But it would probably make more sense to find someone else to clean the toilet.

Detectorist
11-11-2012, 10:42

When I worked at WalMart I had a customer try that on me. The sad part was that the joke was on him. He miscalculated and then complained that I didn't give him the right change.. He made a fuss until I explained it to him......

The problem is not that we were smarter in our youth, it's that we received better training.....

RenoF250
11-11-2012, 11:00
I work production machining/industrial maintenance in a non-union shop. I've got 15 years in this plant and 23 years machining experiance. Without trying to brag, I am very good at my job. If you ask me to clean the toilets because your janitor called in, well thats probably not going to happen. You could fire me, and train somebody else to do my job. But it would probably make more sense to find someone else to clean the toilet.

You need to learn the phrase "it all pays the same." I would clean the toilet and laugh that I am getting paid $40/hour (or whatever you get) to do it. Probably take my time and do an extra nice job. When they want to know why the machining is not getting done "just cleaning the toilet here boss." :whistling: If your manager wants to misallocate resources that is his problem.

That said, if I was your manager and there was no janitor, I would clean the freaking toilet and that is likely what happens in most small businesses - the owner does the crap work.

RenoF250
11-11-2012, 11:03
When I worked at WalMart I had a customer try that on me. The sad part was that the joke was on him. He miscalculated and then complained that I didn't give him the right change.. He made a fuss until I explained it to him......

The problem is not that we were smarter in our youth, it's that we received better training.....

We did not have our heads buried in Facebook/twitter etc. Kids have no attention span these days. Teachers have their work cut out for them. My son is doing algebra in 4th grade and getting plenty of homework. He has an A in math but I still don't think any of it is sticking. I bet he forgets it all over summer. His head is in the clouds and I have not been able to get it out.

certifiedfunds
11-11-2012, 11:08
We did not have our heads buried in Facebook/twitter etc. Kids have no attention span these days. Teachers have their work cut out for them. My son is doing algebra in 4th grade and getting plenty of homework. He has an A in math but I still don't think any of it is sticking. I bet he forgets it all over summer. His head is in the clouds and I have not been able to get it out.

You let your son play on Facebook and Twitter in the 4th grade?

G29Reload
11-11-2012, 11:10
Unqual'd applicants certainly are out there.

There are also the losers trying to rider the unemployment gravy train.

But the complete UE pic includes plenty of employers not hiring or laying off because of the terror of Obamacare.

For some bizarre reason people knew Romney was the last chance to repeal it but pissed the opportunity away. But as we all know half the country are complete idiots and maybe they thought the SCOTUS was last word, when it wasn't.

Employees are now liabilities, not assets. They're something to be feared. They join unions, they qualify as headcount by which Obamacare can be required and therefore have to be paid for.

RenoF250
11-11-2012, 11:40
You let your son play on Facebook and Twitter in the 4th grade?

No neither. Not on the internet at all, no phone either. But it seems to be a short attentions span internet mindset they pick up from all around them. I can't really nail it down but you see it in many kids these days.

Hef
11-11-2012, 13:47
Most people are morons. I have hired and fired hundreds of people for all sorts of stupid things. Most have poor judgement, terrible math skills, third grade writing skills, and they don't understand punctuality.

Batesmotel
11-11-2012, 14:01

You don't get it. You need to apply for jobs to keep receiving some types of benefits. Every week they need to tell them how many applications they filled out. If they fill them out that way they never get a job but still get their check.

They could be just playing the welfare game.

Then again some are just that stupid.

Haldor
11-11-2012, 17:04

Looking for 3 quarters in change. I am with him, I hate getting pennies, nickels or dimes back in change. Far as I am concerned the quarter is the new penny. There is no reason for anything smaller. What can you buy that costs less than $0.25

dwhite53
11-12-2012, 15:50
You don't get it. You need to apply for jobs to keep receiving some types of benefits. Every week they need to tell them how many applications they filled out. If they fill them out that way they never get a job but still get their check.

They could be just playing the welfare game.

Then again some are just that stupid.

I understand here in NC all you have to do is log into your Employment Security account and enter where you applied for jobs. Two applications this week, you get a check.

If people had to go downtown every Friday and stand in line for 3 to 5 hours, like it used to be, they'd find a job. It would be easier.

State government thinks it's saving money hiring less employees by doing the online thing. However it makes to too easy to be a slacker. I'm sure it's costing them (me) hundreds of millions.

All the Best,
D. White

meleors
11-13-2012, 06:32
Funny thing is that I don't pay minimum wage. I always try to start at least $8/hour. And the company I work for has a lot of upward mobility.
Funny thing is that here in Illinois, minimum wage is $8.25 and the workers aren't any better!

Walk Soft
11-13-2012, 06:56
My favorite line is "but I can only work twenty hours a week because I am on SSI/disability".I always respond "Well nevermind,I only hire people who want to work".

CAcop
11-13-2012, 07:02
thank god jack-in-the-box will hire parolees...

There are a lot of restaurants that hire parolees. One of many reasons why I don't live in the town I police and why I never eat out at work in uniform.

DanaT
11-13-2012, 09:22
As some of you might know, I am into multiple things to make money. I am part owner in a few companies and one company that developed some medical technology is 100% owned by myself. It is mostly an IP company and has never had an employee other than myself.

Last month I got 7 unemployment claim from people. I have never had an employee yet somehow they think they should get unemployment. I notified the state that fraud was going on and they basically said it is so rampant that its not worth following up on (a few more words, but that is the short version).

People will lie, cheat and steal for unemployment.

DanaT
11-13-2012, 09:24
There are a lot of restaurants that hire parolees. One of many reasons why I don't live in the town I police and why I never eat out at work in uniform.

??? I dont get it. Why would you not eat in a restaurant in uniform?

RedTop
11-13-2012, 09:44

I assume because some people hate cops. Especially people you may have personally put in the slammer. :dunno:

certifiedfunds
11-13-2012, 09:51

Mustard stains

DanaT
11-13-2012, 09:59
Mustard stains

So that I dont spill on my clothes, I just tuck a napkin into my shirt.

sappy13
11-13-2012, 10:15
Its bad, but the intelligence of a lot of americans is going downhill like in the movie Idiocracy. Stupid people getting together creates stupid babies, which in turns just keeps the cycle going.

tarpleyg
11-13-2012, 11:30
:wavey:

That's me...20 years ago though...sorry man.

certifiedfunds
11-13-2012, 12:00
So that I dont spill on my clothes, I just tuck a napkin into my shirt.

covers up badge

tarpleyg
11-13-2012, 12:09
I was at a sports store yesterday and my bill was $170. I had $140 cash and wanted to put the rest on my debit card. it took the checkout bimbo and two managers to figure out how to do it.... My wife was ready to reach across the counter and strangle them...

Its rampant...
In all fairness, that was probably a limitation of their crappy POS system and not their math skills.

DanaT
11-13-2012, 12:40
In all fairness, that was probably a limitation of their crappy POS system and not their math skills.

I would also call any system like that a piece of s*** too.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

johnd
11-13-2012, 12:45
there have been many recent reports on the lack of basic aptitudes by applicants today. Im a LEO and a recruiter and I see it all the time...the most basic of instructions on the initial application form are "duh?" to them ....and they want to be a detective or something else in the enforcement business???
What part of " in chronological order" dont they understand? what part of "from your mose current " dont they understand?
Some cant even spell their name right, some cant read the instructions to "write your name in full" and many many ,too many, dont know their SSN.

Glock20 10mm
11-13-2012, 12:58
Part of it is also the reliance on technology... I am finding that kids today can't function if they don't have a screen in front of them telling them what the answer is or how to do it.

Idiocracy is on the way...

janice6
11-13-2012, 13:27
My very first job (during Summer from Jr. High School) was making custom sizes of aluminum combination storm and screen windows. I did everything by myself with power saws for the metal, built the frames, cut the glass, put it into the frames, etc.. I was hired over some adults. I asked why? I was curious.

I was told "because I could add fractions". This is a sad testament too.

I didn't see Arithmetic as an accomplishment, but I liked the Independence and the pay of the job.

Early 1950's. It is just getting worse.

Hef
11-13-2012, 13:37
My very first job (during Summer from Jr. High School) was making custom sizes of aluminum combination storm and screen windows. I did everything by myself with power saws for the metal, built the frames, cut the glass, put it into the frames, etc.. I was hired over some adults. I asked why? I was curious.

I was told "because I could add fractions". This is a sad testament too.

I didn't see Arithmetic as an accomplishment, but I liked the Independence and the pay of the job.

Early 1950's. It is just getting worse.

It is unbelievable how many people can't figure out fractions. I deal with it constantly in the construction business.

DanaT
11-13-2012, 13:43
there have been many recent reports on the lack of basic aptitudes by applicants today. Im a LEO and a recruiter and I see it all the time...the most basic of instructions on the initial application form are "duh?" to them ....and they want to be a detective or something else in the enforcement business???
What part of " in chronological order" dont they understand? what part of "from your mose current " dont they understand?
Some cant even spell their name right, some cant read the instructions to "write your name in full" and many many ,too many, dont know their SSN.

The part I would have a hard time understanding is "from your mose current". I would be kinda lost with mose.

DanaT
11-13-2012, 13:45
It is unbelievable how many people can't figure out fractions. I deal with it constantly in the construction business.

Pssst Metric system.

But then many people would be confused about how big a 75dl bottle of wine is...

Hef
11-13-2012, 14:50
Pssst Metric system.

But then many people would be confused about how big a 75dl bottle of wine is...

I'd love to go metric here in the US, but I don't the dolts could swing it. In the cabinet business I need to understand both, but due to a lack of metric tape measure availability I can't completely switch over.

vart
11-13-2012, 15:05
I currently make $22 an hour. It is white collar, but still hourly. However, I have to drive 150 miles a day to work. I have 5 years experience, but no degree, ex-military and 20% disabled.

So, I was perusing the local paper for jobs since I am getting burned out on the $400 a month in gas and 2.5 hours a day commuting.

I saw 3 jobs listed, all required a BS, 2-5 years experience, and all started at under $12 an hour...

WTF? Are people out there with degrees and experience actually accepting $11.50 and hour?? This is not a cheap area to live.

Spiffums
11-13-2012, 15:37

"im about good at that"
Employer Name:
didn't have one
Address:
Don't know
Phone number:
phone book

Sounds like they have to fill out X number of applications a week/month to keep their check.

jtmac
11-13-2012, 16:10
I saw 3 jobs listed, all required a BS, 2-5 years experience, and all started at under $12 an hour...

WTF? Are people out there with degrees and experience actually accepting $11.50 and hour?? This is not a cheap area to live.

There are a few reasons for this:

- You know how stupid HR is with just managing the resources they have? Imagine how idiotic HR is trying to find new resources. They do find people that way, but of course you know what kind of people HR can hire. All the while the people who should be making the hiring decisions can't get what they need because the talent doesn't have irrelevant credential X or because they can't pay enough.

- Just like HR can be idiotic, some small business owners can be delusional. It isn't hard to find out what decent talent costs, but it's also really easy to find excuses to believe that you should expect something else.

- Some businesses will put out ads for employment just so they can say they didn't find anyone. They may know who/how they want to hire but HR has regulations on how to seek candidates. Or perhaps it's a company that wants more to falsely justify hiring foreign workers to save money. Etc, so forth.

N4LP
11-13-2012, 17:06
Looking for 3 quarters in change. I am with him, I hate getting pennies, nickels or dimes back in change. Far as I am concerned the quarter is the new penny. There is no reason for anything smaller. What can you buy that costs less than $0.25

I just use a debit card 90% of the time and don't worry about change at all. It used to be that it was more time consuming and didn't necessarily make sense for small purchases, but using a debit card today is actually faster than using cash. Debit cards and credit cards are probably a big part of the reason that cashiers today have trouble making change in their head - it's simply something they don't do with anywhere near the frequency they might have 20 years ago.

vikingsoftpaw
11-13-2012, 22:23
I currently make $22 an hour. It is white collar, but still hourly. However, I have to drive 150 miles a day to work. I have 5 years experience, but no degree, ex-military and 20% disabled.

So, I was perusing the local paper for jobs since I am getting burned out on the $400 a month in gas and 2.5 hours a day commuting.

A printing company near me wants to offer B.A. Graphic Artists $10.50 with experience.

The general trend with employers is that they really don't want to pay anything over $10.00/hr. They still expect a great deal from an employee at that price.

When the economy turns for the better, a whole bunch of people will play employer musical chairs.

ysr_racer
11-13-2012, 23:09

Want to make an applicant cry? Ask them how many thousandths there are in an inch, (and watch the hilarity begin).

At work we had to stop using the word "prorated" because none of our customers knew what it meant.

clancy
11-14-2012, 04:50

A close friend who has a Master's Degree in teaching is now parking cars because that is all he can find.

I quit a job at a local supermarket in 1989. The starting wage for a ft employee then was $11 an hour. They now only hire part time only, at minimum wage, and have people every day applying for jobs. A few years ago McDonald's was advertising for help, and they were offering $9.50 an hour to start. They now pay $7.75 an hour to start.
About 10 years ago Kohl's opened up a distribution center, and was starting their warehouse staff off at $12 an hour, FT with benefits. I went there last month, they are only hiring PT, $8 an hour with no benefits, and you are not allowed to work anywhere else.

Businesses only pay what they have to. In this current economic market, they don't have to pay much at all. When you have bills to pay and children to feed and all you can find is a minimum wage job, that is what you have to take. Hopefully you can find one that will accept the fact that you might have to work 2, 3 or even 4 jobs to make end meet.

DaneA
11-14-2012, 11:36
I had 5 interviews on Monday. I had to define the word rapport to 3 applicants and the word prioritize to one (who I didn't ask the question about rapport). Ugh

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

WWJBD
11-14-2012, 13:26
Where the hell do you guys live.

I live in the DFW Metroplex, and I RARELY have problems with cashiers calculating change, or any other customer service issues. All of my orders at restaurants come correct, I never have issues returning items...or anything really.

I also own a small business and I have been hiring as of late. I would venture to say in the last 2 months I have had 100 applicants, and probably 20-25 of them I would legitimately consider hiring...and I am pretty strict.

Maybe its just most Texans still have a good head on their shoulders...:whistling:

Also my sister-in-law and her husband both just graduated with Masters degrees from Texas A&M. Both found jobs within 3 weeks. He is making 51k a year, and she is making 45k a year. Both graphic designers, one works at an architecture firm.

He actually had 3 offers. (He is ex-military and 1 of them wanted to hire a vet, so he had an advantage there, but still!)

Bren
11-14-2012, 14:29
I got a call from a very polite gentleman who asked if it was OK for him to work at a pistol range despite being an ex-con. I quickly advised him that he couldn't even set foot in a gun store because he would be in violation of Federal law. He said that he didn't want to work in the store, just the range and wanted to be the range officer. I explained to him the rules for both physical and constructive possession of a firearm by a prohibited person. He was sad but said that he underdstood and thanked me for my time.

The sad part is that he was extremely polite on the phone and spoke very well. I felt kind of sad for him, but I had absolutely no choice.

That's too bad - looks like you gave him bad legal advice.
The part about setting foot in a gun shop is clearly incorrect and the part about working at the range is probably incorrect if it's a range where people bring their own guns, instead of shooting the range's guns.

Kozel
11-14-2012, 14:32
I can count the change, read a tape measure, calculate fractions and pass the drug test. If I tried hard enough, I could even be polite to customers. But you probably cannot pay me more than I make now (and I don't make much).

You do not count. You went to school where they taught you how to field strip and shoot an AK and dig foxholes. People who are taught how to put condom on cucumber cannot operate cash register unless it has picture on every button.

NeverMore1701
11-14-2012, 14:44
You do not count. You went to school where they taught you how to field strip and shoot an AK and dig foxholes. People who are taught how to put condom on cucumber cannot operate cash register unless it has picture on every button.

Each post you write makes you seems dumber than the last.

Obi Wan
11-14-2012, 14:50

At this skill level, you may well be right. But you also may not be targeting the right population demographic either.

Just a suggestion... talk to the local 'Employment Office', give them your specs, etc, and let them do the initial screening for you. That way you only have to deal with the final interview/screening.

Good luck.

Kozel
11-14-2012, 15:29
Each post you write makes you seems dumber than the last.

Coming from you it is a compliment.

I bet Citizen of Dreams can fieldstrip AK blindfolded faster than you can put condom on the cucumber.

NeverMore1701
11-14-2012, 15:46
Coming from you it is a compliment.

I bet Citizen of Dreams can fieldstrip AK blindfolded faster than you can put condom on the cucumber.

Having never put a condom on a cucumber, you very may be right. All the little bumps might slow it down considerably; in your experience, do they?

Mrs.Cicero
11-14-2012, 16:08
Have they gone to cucumbers now? It used to be bananas. I'll bet someone complained that was racist.

Anyway, when I had to hire booksellers, I could eliminate over half the applicants just by giving them a stack of books to alphabetize by authors' last names.

Mrs.Cicero
11-14-2012, 16:12
duplicate post

Glockjunkie2
11-14-2012, 16:45
[QUOTE=certifiedfunds;we 4th grade?[/QUOTE]

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Kozel
11-14-2012, 16:51
Having never put a condom on a cucumber, you very may be right. All the little bumps might slow it down considerably; in your experience, do they?

Since you only had to put condom on a banana (without bumps that is) now I am totally certain that Citizen of Dreams could fieldstrip an AK faster then you could put condom on cucumber. All those bumps would slow you down so much.

pugman
11-17-2012, 06:50
It's the continuing dumbing down process of the USA and you are seeing the results of it, firsthand.

While I agree what is being produced by public schools today is pathetic; I dont' think its so much the dumbing down of America as what passes for skilled has changed a lot.

I've seen coworkers who can't remember simple commands on some of our platforms yet they can remember the name of every weapon, damage, range, etc of some role playing game.

They can't drive well (they drive for lunch every once in a while) but can play some driving video game like the wind.

They don't play any sports or work out but are the masters of Madden football.

And this just isn't video game based. My nephew, a somewhat shy kid, has a pretty small group of flesh and blood friends but has 1600 on facebook?

So we have a whole generation of people who have the hand/eye coordination of a machine when it comes to Halo but ask them to hit a ball, swing a hammer or drive a car and forget about it.

Hell, look at some of the "jobs" today: personal shopper, professional blogger, video game reviewer?

NeverMore1701
11-17-2012, 09:43
Since you only had to put condom on a banana (without bumps that is) now I am totally certain that Citizen of Dreams could fieldstrip an AK faster then you could put condom on cucumber. All those bumps would slow you down so much.

I bow to your extensive experience at putting condoms on things other than yourself.

Kevin108
11-17-2012, 09:56
Excluding students trying to make a little cash while in school, why would anyone worth a crap want a cashier job?

For many stores, it's an entry-level position with potential. With no skills at all, you can learn to be a cashier, become proficient, go to head cashier and possibly later to some level of management. Add in some school while you're working and success is quite likely.

AWoods
11-17-2012, 14:00
Every job opens up potential for the future. Customer service is still a very important skill. Even in the IT dept, being able to deal with customers and make sure they are satisfied puts you heads above most people.

SevenSixtyTwo
11-17-2012, 17:54
It's all economics. You can't buy a Lexus for a Yugo price. You can't buy top notch labor for broom pusher pay. No one is "entitled" to cheap labor. If Republicans could get a grip on that simple concept, Obama would have never had a first term, much less a second term. Somewhere between illegal alien pay and CEO pay will be your perfect employee.

Reyn
11-17-2012, 18:15
It's all economics. You can't buy a Lexus for a Yugo price. You can't buy top notch labor for broom pusher pay. No one is "entitled" to cheap labor. If Republicans could get a grip on that simple concept, Obama would have never had a first term, much less a second term. Somewhere between illegal alien pay and CEO pay will be your perfect employee.

Sounds like the pay is what the market will bare.

SevenSixtyTwo
11-17-2012, 18:33
Sounds like the pay is what the market will bare.

Very true. But the employer is the one who has to decide if he wants a Lexus or a Yugo. If he needs a good strong F250, That'll be a bit more than a Yugo and quite a bit less than a Lexus. The reliable and ultra efficient Prius fits another need but is also more than the Yugo and less than the Lexus. Too many expect the Yugo to do the job of an F250 as efficiently as a Prius while riding like a Lexus and then beach and moan that it doesn't.

I had a lady in a new $2.6 million dollar two story condo in a highrise offer me $20 to stop by after hours to make a minor adjustment to a computer in her building. The company I work for wanted $300 for the hour's work. She said that was an outrage. I couldn't help but wonder what she charged an hour for whatever service she provides that afforded her to live in such a residence a couple of months out of the year when she wasn't in NY at her primary residence all the while thinking $300 an hour is an outrage. She called back a couple of weeks later to have the $300 service performed. She'll really soil her silk when she loses her key fob to her Mercedes! The entitlement mentality is far from limited to the bottom feeders.

FLGatorFan
11-17-2012, 19:01
For many stores, it's an entry-level position with potential. With no skills at all, you can learn to be a cashier, become proficient, go to head cashier and possibly later to some level of management. Add in some school while you're working and success is quite likely.

So basically we're in agreement. I don't know much about retail but I believe management usually requires a college degree unless you're talking about a mom and pop kind of place.

Hef
11-17-2012, 19:55
Very true. But the employer is the one who has to decide if he wants a Lexus or a Yugo. If he needs a good strong F250, That'll be a bit more than a Yugo and quite a bit less than a Lexus. The reliable and ultra efficient Prius fits another need but is also more than the Yugo and less than the Lexus. Too many expect the Yugo to do the job of an F250 as efficiently as a Prius while riding like a Lexus and then beach and moan that it doesn't.

I had a lady in a new $2.6 million dollar two story condo in a highrise offer me $20 to stop by after hours to make a minor adjustment to a computer in her building. The company I work for wanted $300 for the hour's work. She said that was an outrage. I couldn't help but wonder what she charged an hour for whatever service she provides that afforded her to live in such a residence a couple of months out of the year when she wasn't in NY at her primary residence all the while thinking $300 an hour is an outrage. She called back a couple of weeks later to have the $300 service performed. She'll really soil her silk when she loses her key fob to her Mercedes! The entitlement mentality is far from limited to the bottom feeders.

I've worked for millionaires and billionaires, and they vary widely in their attitudes toward money and entitlement. I recall one extremely wealthy man I worked for recently. He hired me to build cabinets at his daughter's house. I gave him a thorough estimate to build what he requested, and he cut out 80% of it.

His reason? "It's too expensive, as he is on a fixed income". I Could have punched him. He has a huge beachfront house in Barbados, another in London, and his house here, among others. I don't think it crossed his mind that I would investigate the backgrounds of my potential clients. To add further insult, he wanted to cut my estimate down even further by attempting to convince me to use cheaper materials and hardware.

We ended up doing a small portion of the original quoted work. It makes me sick to think of all the time I wasted with that liar.

In contrast, I built a house (as a carpenter, not the GC) a little over 10 years ago that is currently on the market for $26,000,000. The owner spared no expense, everyone made good money, and all was well. No "fixed income" BS.

Gunhaver
11-17-2012, 20:11

That's a perfect example of one of those top-of-the-page :shocked: posts that has you backing up to see HTF the conversation got to this point.

stevelyn
11-18-2012, 01:33
I assume because some people hate cops. Especially people you may have personally put in the slammer. :dunno:

Do you know how many half-way house residents, furlough felons and other assorted criminal trash work in restaurants?

The time I spent working on the corrections side has been invalueable.

meleors
11-18-2012, 06:15
Yes, in only 5-10 years you can be making a whopping $30k per year! :rofl:

DanaT
11-18-2012, 06:27
We ended up doing a small portion of the original quoted work. It makes me sick to think of all the time I wasted with that liar.

I vaguely remember you trying to sell me all kinds of stuff I didnt need. You thought your high pressure sales tactics would work on me. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

SevenSixtyTwo
11-18-2012, 06:50
I've worked for millionaires and billionaires, and they vary widely in their attitudes toward money and entitlement. I recall one extremely wealthy man I worked for recently. He hired me to build cabinets at his daughter's house. I gave him a thorough estimate to build what he requested, and he cut out 80% of it.

His reason? "It's too expensive, as he is on a fixed income". I Could have punched him. He has a huge beachfront house in Barbados, another in London, and his house here, among others. I don't think it crossed his mind that I would investigate the backgrounds of my potential clients. To add further insult, he wanted to cut my estimate down even further by attempting to convince me to use cheaper materials and hardware.

In contrast, I built a house (as a carpenter, not the GC) a little over 10 years ago that is currently on the market for $26,000,000. The owner spared no expense, everyone made good money, and all was well. No "fixed income" BS.

I've noticed the same thing over the past 32 years. Some are very nice, reasonable and generous. I was on the phone with a multimillionaire yesterday discussing a situation in one of his buildings that needs to be corrected during regular working hours Monday. He and his wife are from London and their accents are captivating. I go out of my way to accommodate customers like them. The others? Well, it's business and we provide a high end service. Our shareholders expect a handsome profit just like they do.

Kozel
11-18-2012, 08:35
I bow to your extensive experience.

Keep doing that.

While I was learning how to fieldstrip and shoot an AK and dig foxholes you were taught how to put condom onto things it did not belong to be on and you still bow down to my condom use skills!

Very nice of you!

Aux Bear
11-18-2012, 09:25
5 and 1/2 eighths.

I nearly drowned in my coffee laughing at that one! Bonus Points Awarded! Now I've gotta go change my shirt....

devildog2067
11-18-2012, 09:31

It's not that simple. The education that students at top public schools receive is better than it has ever been. I took multivariable calculus in high school. In many ways, the US is smarter than ever.

The issue is that lots of people who would have flunked out of high school 40 years ago are being passed along from grade to grade without being required to learn anything.

DaneA
11-18-2012, 09:42

Apparently you either have never worked in retail or just weren't smart enough to move up. I just had a guy that had been with the company less than 2 years with 0 retail experience when he started go from $8.50/hr to 45k/year plus bonus. Retail is one of the few industries left that someone without a college degree can excel. I know many store managers and district managers that do not have a college degree but run great stores and districts.

It's not that simple. The education that students at top public schools receive is better than it has ever been. I took multivariable calculus in high school. In many ways, the US is smarter than ever.

The issue is that lots of people who would have flunked out of high school 40 years ago are being passed along from grade to grade without being required to learn anything.

No Idiot Left Behind. Good idea, horrible execution.

SevenSixtyTwo
11-18-2012, 11:16

I made it to advanced algebra. Never thought I'd use it. Now I use it quite often. I thought very highly of my government school algebra teacher. Loved math. Hated literature. School took a turn in '72.

The same people who are being passed along from grade to grade are being raised by parents being passed along from house to house with you and I paying 70% of their rent while they run down our neighborhoods. Society took a turn in '68.

Hef
11-18-2012, 11:25
I made it to advanced algebra. Never thought I'd use it. Now I use it quite often. I thought very highly of my government school algebra teacher. Loved math. Hated literature. School took a turn in '72.

The same people who are being passed along from grade to grade are being raised by parents being passed along from house to house with you and I paying 70% of their rent while they run down our neighborhoods. Society took a turn in '68.

Thanks LBJ!

guns54
11-18-2012, 12:40

That says it right there. I was still in high school, as were many co-workers, so that means a high-school dropout could do it. How right you are.They dont want to work.

SevenSixtyTwo
11-18-2012, 13:17
Thanks LBJ!

If Texas secedes from the Union, can we make them take their Texan LBJ's legislation with them?:tongueout:

G-19
11-18-2012, 13:54

"im about good at that"
Employer Name:
didn't have one
Address:
Don't know
Phone number:
phone book

Maybe, just maybe you are not offering enough in the wage department to attract more qualified applicants.

DaneA
11-18-2012, 15:55
Maybe, just maybe you are not offering enough in the wage department to attract more qualified applicants.

Maybe, just maybe pay hasn't been advertised. And just possibly I start people higher than most of the retailers in the area.

Kevin108
11-18-2012, 16:43

In today's economy, I call that a good job.

muscogee
11-18-2012, 17:00
How does one get a job without experience? How does one get experience without a job?

devildog2067
11-18-2012, 17:02
How does one get a job without experience?
By applying for jobs that don't require experience.
How does one get experience without a job?

By volunteering, or doing unpaid internships, or any of a thousand other ways to get a foot in the door.

Hef
11-18-2012, 17:02
How does one get a job without experience? How does one get experience without a job?

Start at the bottom as a trainee and work your way up.

G-19
11-18-2012, 19:24
Maybe, just maybe pay hasn't been advertised. And just possibly I start people higher than most of the retailers in the area.

Then it must be something else. With so many people out of work, I just can't see a business not having an abundance of qualified applicants. Unless there was a problem with the job. Like you said it is a cashiers position, not a high skilled labor position. It don't take much to qualify to be a cashier. So finding qualified applicants should be easy. Heck, most high school kids could do it.

However, If you have a reputation of firing people or for being a tyrant it could drive the better applicants to look for a more secure job or a place with better working conditions. A lot of people would rather take a little less money for better working conditions or job security. Word of mouth travels fast and far.

You might want to take a look at your competitors and see how they operate and what kind of employees they attract. If they seem to be getting better employees, then ask yourself "What are they doing that I am not?" Then work to correct those areas.

I am not trying to insult you, really I'm not. But instead of just saying there are no qualified workers out there maybe you should consider why no qualified workers want to work for you. Just because you hang a "help wanted sign" don't mean people will flock to you. You have to give them a reason to want to work for you.

Sometimes the problem is not with everyone else.

G-19
11-20-2012, 15:54
Did you ever find a cashier?

certifiedfunds
11-20-2012, 17:00
Then it must be something else. With so many people out of work, I just can't see a business not having an abundance of qualified applicants. Unless there was a problem with the job. Like you said it is a cashiers position, not a high skilled labor position. It don't take much to qualify to be a cashier. So finding qualified applicants should be easy. Heck, most high school kids could do it.

However, If you have a reputation of firing people or for being a tyrant it could drive the better applicants to look for a more secure job or a place with better working conditions. A lot of people would rather take a little less money for better working conditions or job security. Word of mouth travels fast and far.

You might want to take a look at your competitors and see how they operate and what kind of employees they attract. If they seem to be getting better employees, then ask yourself "What are they doing that I am not?" Then work to correct those areas.

I am not trying to insult you, really I'm not. But instead of just saying there are no qualified workers out there maybe you should consider why no qualified workers want to work for you. Just because you hang a "help wanted sign" don't mean people will flock to you. You have to give them a reason to want to work for you.

Where I live companies import workers by the bus load because they can't find enuf

dwhite53
11-21-2012, 16:48
My wife and I have a theory that most of the people layed off over the past 4 years where "dead weight". People that just weren't worth keeping around.

Everyone tells me it's very difficult to find GOOD help.

So that's what's out there.

All the Best,
D. White

DaneA
11-21-2012, 17:07
Did you ever find a cashier?

Yes, I hired two last week. It took about 100 applications or more. Part of my issues is that I'm very picky. Over the last 3-4 years I have maintained a 85%+ retention rate (employees that last more than a year).

My wife and I have a theory that most of the people layed off over the past 4 years where "dead weight". People that just weren't worth keeping around.

All the Best,
D. White

My previous boss and I used to have many discussions on this same topic. I agree that many businesses used the cover of a bad economy to shed dead weight.

JerryVO
11-21-2012, 17:33
I totally agree with the concept behind this thread even if I am late to the game. I have been trying to fill 2 $35,000 a year no experience needed we will train you positions for months now and I can't find anyone worth a second look. All I ask for is common sense, self motivation, and the ability to learn. Some of my recent winners are:

Me: so do you have any questions for me?
Applicant: My wife did not give me any to ask

Me: So are you interested in the position I discribed
A: it sounts like too much work to me
(It is a desk job)

Me: What are you looking for in a job
A: To sit back and collect a paycheck

Me: Tell me about (ring)
A: Hello (answers her phone)

I really think companies used the economy as a cover to cut dead weght. Not everyone out there is horrible, just most of them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

SevenSixtyTwo
11-21-2012, 17:43

All the Best,
D. White

Companies have been doing that for decades. Hire too many people and then weed out the dead weight. Seems like a pretty effective way to promote productivity by competing employees wanting to keep their jobs knowing someone is getting the axe at any moment.

devildog2067
11-21-2012, 17:47
How does one get a job without experience?

Apparently there are at least two out there:

I have been trying to fill 2 $35,000 a year no experience needed we will train you positions for months now2

Most car dealerships will hire you to sell cars if you have a pulse and a driver's license.

There, that's two ideas. Anything else you want to whine about?

DaneA
11-21-2012, 19:16
I totally agree with the concept behind this thread even if I am late to the game. I have been trying to fill 2 $35,000 a year no experience needed we will train you positions for months now and I can't find anyone worth a second look. All I ask for is common sense, self motivation, and the ability to learn. Some of my recent winners are:

(It is a desk job)

I really think companies used the economy as a cover to cut dead weght. Not everyone out there is horrible, just most of them.

I think I've interviewed the same people.

What's the job you are interviewing for? If someone could do the work of the 2 people would you pay them $70k? :supergrin:

I did interview a guy once that about 20 minutes after the interview ended his mom called and said "Don't hire him, he's a drug dealer"
(wasn't going to hire him anyway)

certifiedfunds
11-21-2012, 19:47
Companies have been doing that for decades. Hire too many people and then weed out the dead weight. Seems like a pretty effective way to promote productivity by competing employees wanting to keep their jobs knowing someone is getting the axe at any moment.

That's a very expensive way to go about things. I doubt most successful companies employ that tactic.

What happens is, when the economy is robust and growing the labor pool gets tight and quality of candidates goes down. Once hired and trained there are sunk costs to consider (recruiting, training). A "good enough" employee might not be worth firing when labor is in tight supply but he might not be the guy you'd choose again.

Then when the economy cools headcount needs to shrink and/or the labor pool improves and the company's options are different.

I've watched the oil business expand and contract several times and I'm watching my own industry deal with Obamacare. Though there are certainly some innocent casualties along the way, generally speaking strong horses get retained and the weaker one's get cut loose.

Then, when hiring starts again companies trade employees before they dip into the UE pool because everyone knows that the UE pool often contains less desirable employees.

pugman
11-22-2012, 06:31

CF beat me to it...

This is the highly inefficient and expensive way to do it - I like to call it the Call Center Hiring Methodology.

For years I helped interview candidates or went to job fairs - sorting out the chaff was surprisingly simple. First and foremost look at how resumes came across our collective desks - misspelled words, 5 jobs in 6 years, an complete lack of creativity, etc. I had one resume come across on Blaze Orange paper which guaranteed we would read it; we interviewed him but didn't hire him simply because his skill set (once flushed out in an interview) didn't match what we really needed. However, we did recommend him to another area which ended up hiring him - he has been with us six years.

If you want to promote productivity simply listen to employees and grant them reasonable requests which offer solutions and not problems. Case in Point: I, along with my entire department, telecommute two days a week. We used to have one day.

During the summer of 2008 when gas was the highest its ever been I wrote the proposal for the second day - I quoted all the usual stuff like monetary savings for the employee and company, environmental impact, a better balance of work and life, etc. Productivity across the board increased by nearly 30%.

For example, in my case, I drive 50 miles one way to work - whether I'm in a car or in front of a computer doesn't matter to me so directly the company got an extra 2-3 hours a week out of me (we are salaried). I fight weather, traffic and accidents nearly every day.

Some people (those who get Mondays) commonly log in Sunday afternoons for a few hours to take care of a lot of housekeeping stuff: answer emails, load/unload files, review documents, etc.

Now if they would only give us the other three days...

SevenSixtyTwo
11-22-2012, 07:09
That's a very expensive way to go about things. I doubt most successful companies employ that tactic.

What happens is, when the economy is robust and growing the labor pool gets tight and quality of candidates goes down. Once hired and trained there are sunk costs to consider (recruiting, training). A "good enough" employee might not be worth firing when labor is in tight supply but he might not be the guy you'd choose again.

Then when the economy cools headcount needs to shrink and/or the labor pool improves and the company's options are different.

I've watched the oil business expand and contract several times and I'm watching my own industry deal with Obamacare. Though there are certainly some innocent casualties along the way, generally speaking strong horses get retained and the weaker one's get cut loose.

Then, when hiring starts again companies trade employees before they dip into the UE pool because everyone knows that the UE pool often contains less desirable employees.

That's what I meant. As the economy picks up, more hiring. When the economy cools, less productive employees are the first to go. I've watched it evolve several times over the past 30 years. It works great except when someone's brother in law or beer drinkin' buddy is kept in favor of more qualified employees. That happens a lot too. Unfortunately, that happens a lot with probates applying for union membership. Not worth a damn on the job but a good friend and beer drinking buddy so he gets the signatures needed to become a member. Then we have to put up with him until the company fires him. Down here that's pretty easy to do. Apparently, up north it's not so easy.

Woofie
11-22-2012, 08:02

My bro in law runs a seafood shop and during crawfish season I help him out when I can. I get a lot of register time in and get to oversee kids on the register even more.

A lot of people like to add to the amount after it's been tendered. Some are trying to be funny, many are trying to scam the high schooler into giving back extra money, not a lot really worry about what their change is.

When I recognize people who do this habitually they receive their change back in nickels and pennies.

JW1178
11-22-2012, 09:17

You might be spot on. Even the best employees will feel insecure if they start seeing everyone around them getting cut. I have left a job because of that. Had a boss that fired people when they messed up a lot. Although I was doing my job, and I understood why he fired some of them, often it was for simply mistakes, and I was always worried because I knew one mess up, I would be fired with bad reference, and I'm not perfect, so I found a new job.

It seems that many employers think that because the economy is bad, they can ask higher qualified people to do a job beneath them, pay them a lot less, then treat them like dirt. Then they wonder why they can't keep or even get anyone decent to apply. Before I even consider applying for a job, I research the company, and in my business, like you said, word travels. There are some companies that are on the "do not work for" list for having a bad reputation. Especially if you have a reputation for messing with people's pay.

All the Best,
D. White

For some people, the company they worked for became the dead weight. I was layed off last spring because the company was bought out and the new owner brought in his own people. He kept a few people there, the one's that were the lowest wage and the one's he liked, but got rid of me and a couple others. The people he brought in were his buddies. It was an automotive repair and service shop. The people he kept weren't the best, trust me. I guess he found out why they were lower in pay because he just went out of business. Yup, he bought a business that had been there for 25 years and managed to close it down in 8 months!

Yes, I hired two last week. It took about 100 applications or more. Part of my issues is that I'm very picky. Over the last 3-4 years I have maintained a 85%+ retention rate (employees that last more than a year).

My previous boss and I used to have many discussions on this same topic. I agree that many businesses used the cover of a bad economy to shed dead weight.

If you were hunting for rabbits, would you aim at the sky? If it's a minimum wage job, don't expect perfectionist. However, hiring a cashier or anything like that, someone with great people skills might be worth a few extra bucks. It's kind of like going out to eat. The food might be great, but if the service sucks, it can ruin the experience. Right?

The other store I worked in before, we were a "low volume store" and we had the highest rating in the area for customer service, and always made high numbers. Investigations were done thinking someone was paying people to call in on the line to give artificial ratings. We also had the highest paid cashiers, which got the manager in trouble, but we had some great cashiers that customers would often go by the registers first just to say hi.

(It is a desk job)

Most of them are just doing their minimum to keep their unemployment check coming. Schools today I don't think are teaching about PRESENTATION which is so important. Just as long as they can pass that CRTC test and the exit exams. However, if they can't even present themselves, they won't be able to work either.

Yes, but often they forget to take care of their good employees.

You are right, high turnover is not good for a company. A company that is one month hiring, next month firing is a sign of an unstable company, and the more desirable employees will find more desirable employers.

That's what I meant. As the economy picks up, more hiring. When the economy cools, less productive employees are the first to go. I've watched it evolve several times over the past 30 years. It works great except when someone's brother in law or beer drinkin' buddy is kept in favor of more qualified employees. That happens a lot too. Unfortunately, that happens a lot with probates applying for union membership. Not worth a damn on the job but a good friend and beer drinking buddy so he gets the signatures needed to become a member. Then we have to put up with him until the company fires him. Down here that's pretty easy to do. Apparently, up north it's not so easy.

Damn good ole boy system reaks in the South. I think it's everywhere, but especially here. The old expersion "it's not what you know, it's who you know". I have worked with as well as known many people that would not have a job if they weren't so good at being buddy buddy.

Hef
11-22-2012, 10:27
My bro in law runs a seafood shop and during crawfish season I help him out when I can. I get a lot of register time in and get to oversee kids on the register even more.

A lot of people like to add to the amount after it's been tendered. Some are trying to be funny, many are trying to scam the high schooler into giving back extra money, not a lot really worry about what their change is.

When I recognize people who do this habitually they receive their change back in nickels and pennies.

I do it because getting back 3 quarters makes it easier for me to pay the toll booth later. I try not to accumulate pennies and nickels in my change cup. I also try to limit how many $1 bills I have in my wallet.

muscogee
11-22-2012, 19:46
It seems that many employers think that because the economy is bad, they can ask higher qualified people to do a job beneath them, pay them a lot less, then treat them like dirt. Then they wonder why they can't keep or even get anyone decent to apply.

Spot on. I suspect this when I hear people complaining about not being able to find good help. Minimum wage, minimum qualifications, minimum effort. Try treating your people right or STFU. If you can't pay enough to hire good employees or get buy with the minimum, then shut your doors. You're not doing anyone a favor. The world does not owe you a profit. Don't blame everyone else. I'm amazed some places can find anyone to work.

certifiedfunds
11-22-2012, 19:59
Spot on. I suspect this when I hear people complaining about not being able to find good help. Minimum wage, minimum qualifications, minimum effort. Try treating your people right or STFU. If you can't pay enough to hire good employees or get buy with the minimum, then shut your doors. You're not doing anyone a favor. The world does not owe you a profit. Don't blame everyone else. I'm amazed some places can find anyone to work.

Says the guy who whined on GT about his business failures.

NeverMore1701
11-22-2012, 20:02
Says the guy who whined on GT about his business failures.

I still think his avatar is a pic of him taking a leak.