Stainless Steel Tumbler and Primers [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Stainless Steel Tumbler and Primers

squirreld
11-10-2012, 21:07
Do you have to pop out the old primer before doing the whole wet thing?

I would imagine a lot moisture would be stuck in the primer/primer pocket once cleaned.
One inch from decap and resize is new primer on a progressive. I would imagine that moisture may be an issue.

Unless you dried the snot out of the brass once cleaned?

Thoughts?

dkf
11-10-2012, 21:19
Decap before wet tumbling. The primer will keep moisture and crap in the primer pocket.

sessumrd
11-10-2012, 23:43
Do you have to pop out the old primer before doing the whole wet thing?

I would imagine a lot moisture would be stuck in the primer/primer pocket once cleaned.
One inch from decap and resize is new primer on a progressive. I would imagine that moisture may be an issue.

Unless you dried the snot out of the brass once cleaned?

Thoughts?

I've done it both ways and haven't had any problems. The only thing I do differently if I don't decap, is to make sure they have sufficient time to dry. I have even put them in the oven at 140 degrees for an hour or so to help expedite the drying time.

squirreld
11-10-2012, 23:54
I would like to NOT decap.
Another step is simply that, another step.

dkf
11-11-2012, 08:54
Then dry tumble. Unless you are selling the ammo shining up your ammo like factory new is a waste.

Boxerglocker
11-11-2012, 10:25
I think that your defeating the point of moving to to wet/SS tumbling by not decapping. The whole point is to get them clean everywhere inside and out, primer pockets included. Decapping will also accelerate the drying process allowing air to pass through.

Three-Five-Seven
11-12-2012, 09:22
I think that your defeating the point of moving to to wet/SS tumbling by not decapping. The whole point is to get them clean everywhere inside and out, primer pockets included. Decapping will also accelerate the drying process allowing air to pass through.

My thoughts exactly. Why go to the trouble of wet tumbling if you're not going to get its full effect????

I have had issues with primers sticking after washing cases that haven't been deprimed. Haven't broken a decapping pin because of it, but they do get very stubborn sometimes. I've assumed that some sort of di-electric potential has caused the primer to "weld" to the case in this situation.

Again, I wouldn't waste the time to wet tumble without decapping first. If I'm too pressed to decap, then I don't have time to fuss around with the wet tumbler either.

There are times when I'd like to wet tumble when I use the vibrator because I'm in a hurry.

fredj338
11-12-2012, 10:05

^^^THis^^^
By not decapping, you risk moisture in the primer pocket & don;t clean the pocket, one of the only reasosn to wet tumble IMO. To each his own, but I would decap, why I don't wet tumble. I would consider it for my rifle rounds, I don't shoot nearly as much rifle as pistol & I only load 2 rifle calibers on a progressive.:dunno:

gwalchmai
11-12-2012, 13:44
Here's a free tip - do a final rinse in HOT water. It'll catch those last few "clingon" pins and the hot water will make the brass dry faster.