Must have apps? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Must have apps?

UrbanOps
11-10-2012, 21:10
So I just dragged myself into this century by purchasing an iPhone. While i miss my BlackBerry, this thing is kinda neat. What are the must have apps for our line of work? So far I just have the pill identifier. Help me out!

CJStudent
11-10-2012, 21:13
So I just dragged myself into this century by purchasing an iPhone. While i miss my BlackBerry, this thing is kinda neat. What are the must have apps for our line of work? So far I just have the pill identifier. Help me out!

A good map/navigation app would be a plus.

msu_grad_121
11-10-2012, 21:32
I got Google Translate, but it's tedious unless it's your only option.

Ftttu
11-10-2012, 21:37
Shazam-identifies song you hear playing
FuzzLights-when you absolutely need police lights
Translate free from Google-voice recognition language translator
Tune In Rqdio-internetvradio app(I actually listened to an Antarctica radio station on it
Various GPS programs free and paid
Find iPhone-I always know where my wife, my iPhone and iPad are
I don't have any LEO apps because I have texaspolicecentral.com bookmarked if I need to research law in the field
VIN lookup app(identifies a vehicle by VIN>
Banking institution apps
Bible
US Constitution
I also have my hobby stuff on there for astronomy and birding
Camera+ -another camera app for iPhone
AppBox Pro-has numerous very handy apps
Flixster-to look up movie times
Dynolicious-tells how much horsepower your vehicle has

Ohio Cop
11-10-2012, 22:09
There is an app called "Ohio cop". This app is the bomb. I use I constantly and cut my cheat sheets down tremendously.

You may have one for your state.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Napalm561
11-10-2012, 23:28
I have an app called US Cop. It has come in pretty handy. It has a pill identifier, and a ton of useful info/tools. It costs a few dollars, but totally worth it.

Also this app called OHub Campfire. not sure what it does, though. :rofl:

RyanNREMTP
11-11-2012, 06:20
I have android phone so I don't know if iPhone has these apps or not. But I use the following:

Easy Voice Recorder: easy to explain why.
Notepad: for recording notes that are readable.
Police Lite: it's for speaking in Spanish.
Crash Tools: little thing that helps at wrecks.
Daily Roads Voyager: turns the camera on phone into a dash cam along with GPS and speed.

All these are free by the way.

LC Deputy
11-11-2012, 09:28
The US Cop is about the same as Ohio Cop. Same creator just the US Cop is for all the other states. I have it and it is well worth the price.

Patchman
11-11-2012, 09:34

What do you mean... iphone... into this century?

I just upgraded to a new flip phone. It has large fonts, big keys and rings loud! No data plan. Yesterday some new Captain asked me to get some information and text it to him. Ten minutes later I called him on the phone, told him I don't text and don't know how to text, and does he have a pen and paper ready for the information?

blueiron
11-11-2012, 10:12
What do you mean... iphone... into this century?

I just upgraded to a new flip phone. It has large fonts, big keys and rings loud! No data plan.

Funny, but true.

I have my last smartphone. After my iPhone dies, I am just going to get a geezerphone. After retiring, my phone use went way down and aside from tethering to my iPad, I don't need Angry Birds - Star Wars to keep me entertained while waiting to testify any more.

:fred:

blueiron
11-11-2012, 10:21
If you are a firearms instructor, the Surefire shot timer is handy.

If you live in a earthquake zone, Quakefeed gets you quake info quickly. Likewise, Earthquake buddy will notify 4 of your FB friends or 4 contacts [SMS or Twitter] your GPS coordinates and a Google map of your location in a 5.5 magnitude or greater earthquake.

UrbanOps
11-11-2012, 10:24
Thanks for the advice guys! I'm downloading now!

Sharkey
11-11-2012, 10:44
If you are a firearms instructor, the Surefire shot timer is handy.

If you live in a earthquake zone, Quakefeed gets you quake info quickly. Likewise, Earthquake buddy will notify 4 of your FB friends or 4 contacts [SMS or Twitter] your GPS coordinates and a Google map of your location in a 5.5 magnitude or greater earthquake.

Quakefeed sounds cool. I have very few apps on my 3gs. My wife is the app queen. I use gps and pandora the most.

blueiron
11-11-2012, 12:19
There is an ATF app that shows Fed firearms definitions, Field Division info, email, etc.
Another one is the FBI most wanted app and a Federal rules of evidence app.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/atf/id408467237?mt=8

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/most-wanted/id304154888?mt=8

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/federal-rules-evidence-frevidence/id336493628?mt=8

blueiron
11-11-2012, 12:24
Here is the IACP/ATF's Police Officers guide to recovered firearms. Apple and Android both available.

http://myappsinfo.com/recoveredfirearms/

scottydl
11-11-2012, 12:50
So I just dragged myself into this century by purchasing an iPhone.

Sucker. ;)

It BLOWS my mind how much people pay for monthly cell phone bills these days, without even thinking about it. The carriers have WON in making the vast majority think they must have instant broadband data access everywhere they go. I refuse.

blueiron
11-11-2012, 12:56
Sucker. ;)

It BLOWS my mind how much people pay for monthly cell phone bills these days, without even thinking about it. The carriers have WON in making the vast majority think they must have instant broadband data access everywhere they go. I refuse.

This assumes that the OP signed on for a multi-year contract and phone.

I bought my iPhone from a private person when the 4s came out and the rush was on to upgrade. The service is month to month and I have no long term financial obligation. One can have technology at a decent value.

Dragoon44
11-11-2012, 12:58
A good map/navigation app would be a plus.

Didn't you see he aid he had a new iPhone? it doesn't have good navigation app, it has iLost.

:rofl::rofl:

scottydl
11-11-2012, 13:05
This assumes that the OP signed on for a multi-year contract and phone. . . .

Most do. Their problem and not mine, I know. But I see a lot of guys complaining about pay rates, overtime, bills, etc. and all the while they are running around paying $100/month for their phone and $500/month for a car. Stuff like that.

I certainly don't have all the answers, but I just paid $100 for continuing service on my Tracfone for the next 14 months ($7.14 per month). That's the phone I use for work only... calling into dispatch, supervisors, other officers, my wife, that kind of stuff during work hours. Our "home" cell phone costs $30/month for unlimited talking/texting through Boost Mobile.

One can have technology at a decent value.

I agree completely! :wavey:

(And sorry for the hijack, feel free to return to the app recommendations requested by the OP.)

DaBigBR
11-11-2012, 15:54

Not sure which pill ID app you have, but I suggest Epocrates.

There is a free app on Android (not sure if available on iOS called Cargo Decoder that has the entire ERG in it.

maddog3241
11-11-2012, 20:12
appsgonefree it isn't an LEO app, but it shows you paid apps that are free for the day, that normally cost something, there is also iPad apps on there.

11A
11-11-2012, 21:25
Field Contacts - one if the guys at work just showed me it. It allows to put pictures of FI's and their info into a database on your phone and share it with others that have the app. My precinct has multiple Blood sects in it (and one blue team sect), so he keeps all of own known thugs in his contacts instead of a 3-ring binder. I'm going to be downloading it here soon, and have him send me the contacts.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

ateamer
11-11-2012, 21:44
Be careful with that. You are making your phone subject to subpoena. Don't keep any sort of FIs, field notes, case files, crook book or CI info on your personal phone or computer.

DaBigBR
11-11-2012, 22:49
Be careful with that. You are making your phone subject to subpoena. Don't keep any sort of FIs, field notes, case files, crook book or CI info on your personal phone or computer.

I have heard this mantra for some time. I think that it was based upon at least one bad ruling by a judge in New York. The data on the device is all that should be subject to subpoena. No judge is going to order you to produce the computer in your car where you ran a plate, the digital camera you used to take pictures, the audio recorder you used to record an interview, the camera system from your car, the sever at your department where your report is stored, or the copier you used to make copies.

A competent prosecutor would resist a defense attempt to require an officer to submit any device used in a case as a result of a subpoena, and appeal if necessary. There is absolutely no need for a defendant to examine an officer's phone.

CAcop
11-11-2012, 23:37
Weather Channel
Radar Now
Time to Fish
Retirement Countdown

BlackPaladin
11-11-2012, 23:55
There is a great app that puts a nice little target on your screen. Take your phone to the range and you have rifle practice. I hate "smart phones" in the worst way. I don't want to make myself easier to contact, I don't even like text messaging.

Clutch Cargo
11-12-2012, 13:38
I prefer to stay in the last century with my flip phone.

grapony
11-13-2012, 12:46
aroundme is a good one.

Gear
11-14-2012, 18:13
Taser app... :whistling:

ClydeG19
11-15-2012, 12:37
Law Box is a good app. You have to pay for each section of code you download, but it's certainly easier to carry around. It has the US code and also the state statues for AZ, CA, DE, NY, FL, TX, and IL.

BMH
11-15-2012, 16:45
Wickr

Cav
11-15-2012, 16:48
I prefer to stay in the last century with my flip phone.

I had a $19 a phone plan. Wife got an iPhone and I got back from a tour in Iraq. Phone company told me they went from analog to digital was I was gone for 18 months and I would need to upgrade. So I did. Got iPhone and my bill went to $50+ a month. Then I added texting and other stuff.

I pay $70 a month for my iPhone now. When interviewing a suspect I can get text messages to update me on info/lies/updates from officers on scene or helpping. I can go online and check Glock Talk, or other things. I have access to my work e-mail on my phone and when away from the office, city, etc I can still get info and reply. I have movie apps like Crackel and can watch a t.v. show or movie while I sit with a person at the hospital. I can take pictures of accidents and other events that happen and forward them to others or my city e-mail. I can get officers to send me pics so I know what a set situation looks like and can brief higher knowing what things really look like. The list can go on. I used to pack a laptop on trips, now its just my iPhone and some extra plugs.

I have a few police scanner apps, sex offender apps, Federal Rules of Evidence, city ords, VIN decoders, shot timers, Mil Dot Master, etc for work.

I added some games to kill time and some sport score apps. I added Filer Lite and Adobe Reader to open set forms. Facebook to look up suspects/witnesses so I know who I am dealing with and can get a good ID. Urbanspoon to find good places to eat if on the road/out of town. Flixster for movie lists (times/trailers/reviews). Crackel to kill time at court/hospital.

Total money I spent on apps in the past 4+ years $0.00. I bought a phone and pay $30 a month for unlimited data.

IMHO the iPhone is well worth it and a great tool to have.