Thinking about buying a colt 6940. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about buying a colt 6940.

ICARRY2
11-11-2012, 07:02
I was looking at buying a colt 6940. A buddy tells me he has read the military is having problems with the 6940 wearing out too soon. Since these are carbines the gas pressure in the shorten gas tubes causes a lot of wear and tear very quickly on the upper and I am likely to only get to shoot 5000 rounds before needing a new upper. I understand what he is saying, but cannot find this information on the internet.

Anyone know anything or have any info?

I initially was thinking about getting a standard ar15 a2 with a 20" barrel. Can I replace the carry handle piece with a flat top piece?

WoodenPlank
11-11-2012, 10:54
I was looking at buying a colt 6940. A buddy tells me he has read the military is having problems with the 6940 wearing out too soon. Since these are carbines the gas pressure in the shorten gas tubes causes a lot of wear and tear very quickly on the upper and I am likely to only get to shoot 5000 rounds before needing a new upper. I understand what he is saying, but cannot find this information on the internet.

I initially was thinking about getting a standard ar15 a2 with a 20" barrel. Can I replace the carry handle piece with a flat top piece?

The military does not issue the 6940.

5000 rounds before replacing an upper is complete garbage. A decent chrome lined barrel should have an expected life of 10,000 rounds or more. Upper receivers can go into the hundreds of thousands. Bolts made to spec have an expected life around 10,000 rounds, too.

If you get an AR with a fixed carry handle, expect $100-150 to swap to a flat top, including parts and labor. More for a new rear sight, depending on what you want.

surf
11-11-2012, 11:35

I initially was thinking about getting a standard ar15 a2 with a 20" barrel. Can I replace the carry handle piece with a flat top piece?Where the hell do people get that crap from? The 6940 is the same carbine length gas system that Colt uses on their Military and civilian carbines that they have produced that utilize a carbine length system. The barrel is a typical made Colt barrel. While the barrel extension, barrel nut and monolithic upper are specific to the 6940, in no way does any of this make a difference on lifespan that is unique to a 6940.

Your "buddy" might be spewing the carbine length system is more harsh on a weapon then the midlength or longer systems and will wear out faster, BS. But this has zero to do with the 6940 in particular.

I will also add that I own a 6940 and the drawbacks IMO are the monolithic upper, barrel assembly and iron sights. As a whole however in all of the 6940's that I have encountered (a lot of them) they have all been more accurate than your average 6920.

ArmoryDoc
11-11-2012, 11:59
I understand what he is saying, but cannot find this information on the internet.

Not trying to be rude but that is COMPLETE hogwash and bunk. That 6940 is a great system.

PlasticGuy
11-13-2012, 13:45
My department replaces its 6920's at the 20,000 round mark by policy, but most would keep going quite a ways past that. A Colt 6940 should do the same. They use the same barrels, bolts, and gas systems.

LA_357SIG
11-13-2012, 14:33
I'd say try one out first before you buy. If for the slight chance you aren't totally in love with the monolithic rail and favor drop in handguards, at least you have the option to change to free float later on.