Gen 3 Buying Question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Gen 3 Buying Question

NITE SITE 53
11-11-2012, 07:08
Just called my LGS and they have gen 3 19s in stock but no gen4s. Honestly, the comments on problems posted with the gen 4s and some gen 3s are making my head spin. Seem to remember someone posting that you should only buy a gen 3 19 if the test fire cartridge shell is before a certain date. Anyone know about this? Also any other buying tips would be appreciated.

vallelbg
11-11-2012, 07:19
Don't over think this. Buy the gun and enjoy it.Shoot the heck out of it,and when you get confidence in it,carry it are do whatever you plan to do with it.

NITE SITE 53
11-11-2012, 07:26
Had a 19 in the past and it was flawless. Time to get another. Thanks vallebg.

voyager4520
11-11-2012, 07:27
My Gen3 G27 with serial # prefix NRR ejected erratically. It took a "Gen4" 28926 ejector and a replacement extractor to get it to eject properly. The first consistent reports of erratic ejection with 9/40/347 models were in the M-series of serial numbers and continue to this day. It's a small percentage that have the problem, you just hear more from the people who have problems than you do the people who don't. I personally wouldn't buy a new Glock in the M-series or after unless I was prepared to fix the ejection problem with it. A "Gen4" ejector and/or a replacement extractor usually fix the problem.

Of the Glocks that say "USA" on the slide, I've only heard one report of erratic ejection, I think it was a Gen3 G17.

Arc Angel
11-11-2012, 08:08
My Gen3 G27 with serial # prefix NRR ejected erratically. It took a "Gen4" 28926 ejector and a replacement extractor to get it to eject properly. The first consistent reports of erratic ejection with 9/40/347 models were in the M-series of serial numbers and continue to this day. It's a small percentage that have the problem, you just hear more from the people who have problems than you do the people who don't. I personally wouldn't buy a new Glock in the M-series or after unless I was prepared to fix the ejection problem with it. A "Gen4" ejector and/or a replacement extractor usually fix the problem.

Of the Glocks that say "USA" on the slide, I've only heard one report of erratic ejection, I think it was a Gen3 G17.

So are these BTF problems caused by the extractor, the ejector, or something about the machining of the slide?

voyager4520
11-11-2012, 09:05
^ I'm not sure. With my G27 I believe the slide was machined incorrectly, having the effect of the extractor not firmly holding the rim of the spent casing to the breech face. I'm no machinist or engineer and I don't have the tools to measure the slide against that of my G23, but that's what I gather from the parts swaps I've made and comparing the marks on the spent casings. My G23 ejects fine, the investment cast extractor and 1882 ejector from my G23 made little difference when I placed them into my G27. The extractor alone eliminated most of the straight up ejections but did not eliminate the ones that went over my head and did not eliminate the dents/scrapes at the case mouths of the spent casings. The 28926 ejector fixed the ejection, and I believe it's because the face of the ejector has a rearward tilt to it which acts to raise the case mouth higher before the casing begins to pivot to the right so that it does not impact the slide.

From what I saw with my G27 before I fixed it, the extractor was not firmly holding the rim of the spent casing to the breech face which allowed the casing to drop down the breech face before the ejector hit it. And when the ejector hit it, it flopped around in any number of ways as it pivoted right and the case mouth impacted the slide just below the ejection port opening. I imagine the case mouth impact caused the rim of the casing to come out from under the extractor claw early and the casing would bounce around slightly inside the ejection port before being ejected in various directions. The 28926 ejector eliminated the impact of the case mouth against the slide, and the casings eject to the right now.

In some cases it appears to be an out-of-spec extractor because replacing it fixes the problem.

MikeG36
11-11-2012, 09:22
My G19 has a test fire date of November 2011 (Bought last December) and it's been fine. The problem seems to be hit or miss. I don't think you can specifically pin it on any particular production period.

SJ 40
11-11-2012, 09:25
I am slightly less trusting than Voyager. I'm not interested in any product produced by Glock after 12/06,serial # prefix
KSC - G-19 - December 2006,
that's just me.

Serial number project.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1287557

The only serial # prefix prior to KSC I would be leery of would be the EEE but if you were to have a problem with rail breakage Glock would replace the frame.

2002 Frame Upgrade – Rear slide rail

The GLOCK Corporation has identified a problem with a very small percentage of GLOCK pistols produced between September of 2001 and May of 2002. The specific problem that has been identified is the potential of breaking a rear frame rail in pistols manufactured during this time period. Within the specific range the breakage rate has been less than 0.0188%. So, while the actual percentage of rails reported broken is within any accepted manufacturing tolerance, it is not an acceptable situation to the GLOCK Corporation. It is also important to note that under most conditions GLOCK pistols will continue to function with three rails. A routine maintenance check after each time the pistol has been taken out and used would immediately indicate if there is a problem.

We are, therefore, concerned that a limited number of customers will not get the product we have promised them and what we have always delivered, the very best pistol on the market, in short, a GLOCK.

For these reasons, we have made the decision that in the interest of customer service, replacement frames will be offered to anyone who has a firearm in this range and decides to take advantage of this offer. The replacement frames will have identical serial numbers to our customer's original firearm except the numeral 1 will be added as a prefix. If you believe your firearm is within this range, please call 1-866-225-4098 to take advantage of the ultimate in customer service.

Nothing less than the best for our customers is acceptable to GLOCK and, as always, we will continue to work towards Perfection.

It appears that only serial numbers starting with "E", "GSSF", or "USA" (American Hero’s Commemoratives) are affected. In general, the chronological serial number set that has the prefix letters of "EKA" through "EVR" inclusive appear to be the affected Glocks, regardless of caliber. Three letters precede three numbers on a plate forward of the trigger guard on the underside of the polymer frame. However, some aberrations to this generalization have been reported by GTers. Reports are that the affected Glocks were manufactured from September 2001 to May 2002. So if you bought (or won a GSSF Glock) an "E" or "USA" series Glock in September of 2001 up until the present day, you might have an affected Glock. Unfortunately, Glock has not published a list. Hope this helps, but again, if you are responsible enough to own a gun and can read this, you are smart enough to check for yourself by calling Glock.

This thread maybe of some assistance to you.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1444976

SJ 40

wingspar
11-11-2012, 14:09
I just bought a G19 Gen 3 after handling a Gen 4. I did not like the stippling on the Gen 4. It has a serial number of TBZ, and I do get brass to the face once in a while. Not even with every mag, but once in a while. However, if I use hotter loads, I do not get brass to the face. Sure, itís a little frustrating to get brass to the face with a brand new gun, but I still like the gun. If you must have a Gen 4, then wait for it.

Bruce M
11-11-2012, 14:35
Nothing to do with the issues but I would wait for a Gen4 if that is what I really wanted unless I was in immediate need of a gun. Generally over the years when I did not get exactly what I wanted and settled for what someone had in stock I have been a bit disappointed be it guns or about anything else.

cajun_chooter
11-11-2012, 15:03
I have a G19/3 & a G19/4 both eject to the right... but my G26/3 has displayed erratic ejection using Rem FMJ 124gr
if i cannot correct it.. it will be put up for sale ..all were bought brand new..

Arc Angel
11-11-2012, 16:12
^ I'm not sure. With my G27 I believe the slide was machined incorrectly, having the effect of the extractor not firmly holding the rim of the spent casing to the breech face. I'm no machinist or engineer and I don't have the tools to measure the slide against that of my G23, but that's what I gather from the parts swaps I've made and comparing the marks on the spent casings. My G23 ejects fine, the investment cast extractor and 1882 ejector from my G23 made little difference when I placed them into my G27. The extractor alone eliminated most of the straight up ejections but did not eliminate the ones that went over my head and did not eliminate the dents/scrapes at the case mouths of the spent casings. The 28926 ejector fixed the ejection, and I believe it's because the face of the ejector has a rearward tilt to it which acts to raise the case mouth higher before the casing begins to pivot to the right so that it does not impact the slide.

From what I saw with my G27 before I fixed it, the extractor was not firmly holding the rim of the spent casing to the breech face which allowed the casing to drop down the breech face before the ejector hit it. And when the ejector hit it, it flopped around in any number of ways as it pivoted right and the case mouth impacted the slide just below the ejection port opening. I imagine the case mouth impact caused the rim of the casing to come out from under the extractor claw early and the casing would bounce around slightly inside the ejection port before being ejected in various directions. The 28926 ejector eliminated the impact of the case mouth against the slide, and the casings eject to the right now.

In some cases it appears to be an out-of-spec extractor because replacing it fixes the problem.

I agree with you that some slides appear to have an extractor cutout that is too large.

It took me awhile to come to this conclusion. Personally, I believe the decision to make later Gen3's with larger extractor cutouts was made deliberately by Glock, GmbH in order to better fit the original larger MIM extractors.

I, also, believe that these larger Gen3 slide cutouts are the reason, 'Why' Apex Technical is currently producing two different versions of their replacement extractors: One for the Gen3 with a larger extractor cutout; (My G-19) and another for the troublesome Gen4's with a smaller slide cutout.)

Nothing to do with the issues but I would wait for a Gen4 if that is what I really wanted unless I was in immediate need of a gun. Generally over the years when I did not get exactly what I wanted and settled for what someone had in stock I have been a bit disappointed be it guns or about anything else.

Bruce, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the Gen3 design. It is, in fact, the most well proven of ALL the various Glock generations. If Glock, GmbH hadn't screwed around trying to save a few pennies by cheapening up the original milled steel extractors none of us would be having problems, today.

Me? I very deliberately chose a Gen3 Glock for myself. In fact, THE LAST Glock you would ever hear of me owning is the Gen4. I don't trust Gen4's; I don't like Gen4's; and, compared to my other early third generation Glocks, the factory has just cheapened the Gen4's up too much for my liking.

NOTE: This afternoon I stood on the right-hand side of a man using a G-22 with an, 'L' prefix serial number. That G-22 had a steel extractor in it; and it was throwing ejected brass straight out to the right-hand side, and hitting me on the chest from a good 15 feet away! (After the third or fourth ejected case hit me, I put down my pistol, walked over to him, and asked; 'What are the first 3 letters of your Glock's serial number?' ('LEX' was the answer.)

Queen Bee
11-11-2012, 16:31
Yup im almost congruent with sj 40, my 19's are LHX, and KVD and they perform flawless. I would not buy another glock if possible that was past the L letter. I do own an M letter 17 that occasionally throws some brass , but i have a NYX g26 that performs flawless. So its a hit or miss.

cfr
11-11-2012, 16:43
Ive been wondering exactly these same things lately, thanks!

AK47Man
11-12-2012, 05:48
All six of my Glocks are Gen3's...My G19 is one of my best shooters..It "was" doing the BTF thing at first; But stopped after about 300 rds through the gun...It actually stopped after I installed a captured steel guide rod and spring...FYI