brussels sprouts on stalk [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : brussels sprouts on stalk

gwalchmai
11-11-2012, 08:23
My wife got a full stalk of brussels sprouts at Trader Joe's yesterday and we had them broiled on the stalk last night. Really good for sprouts fans, but I don't think it added much to the taste. Anyone else cook them this way?

http://www.traderjoes.com/images/recipes/102MainImage.jpg

Zonny
11-11-2012, 08:38
I buy them that way but I don't cook them that way. I cut them off the stem.

Your way makes for a nice presentation tho. Is that cranberries and pomegranates garnishing?

Dennis in MA
11-11-2012, 08:42
There is no fouler smelling veggie in the world. Lol

(Durian is a fruit, BS is close in lack of appeal to me.)

gwalchmai
11-11-2012, 09:35
I buy them that way but I don't cook them that way. I cut them off the stem.

Your way makes for a nice presentation tho. Is that cranberries and pomegranates garnishing?That's a stock photo. Your guess is as good as mine. ;)

FullClip
11-11-2012, 09:42
Sorry, but I don't like brussel sprouts and I don't like people who like brussel sprouts!!:wow:

It's beyond my comprehension how anybody could ever willingly put those abominations in their mouths and actually ingest the nasty spores from hell!!:ack::puking:

b_oglethorpe
11-11-2012, 09:53
I like them roasted. Oven at 425f. I chop garlic and mix olive oil salt and pepper and a splash of red wine vinegar and garlic. Brush it on the brussels and roast for 25 minutes turning while brushing the dressing on them. Pull the from the oven and squeeze lemon then serve.

Or omit the red wine vinegar and lemon but at the end brush balsamic on them in the last 5 minutes.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

oldgraywolf
11-11-2012, 09:54
Quarter them, then stir fry in olive oil with some shallots, a splash of red wine vinegar, some capers, a bit of brown sugar or honey, a little coarse ground mustard, minced fresh garlic if you like, then when almost done add some chopped pecans.

Cali-Glock
11-11-2012, 09:57
1) cut your brussels sprouts in half and par-boil them - this removes the bitter taste (and probably all the nutrition also!)

2) drain and put the Brussels sprouts in a frying pan with some butter.

3) after a minute cover the Brussels sprouts with half and half.

4) cook down over low heat until everything incorporates, (about an hour) season with salt and pepper

noway
11-11-2012, 10:00
I 'm a brussels sprout fanatic and never seen them down that way on the stem.

I clean them, pull the outer layer and just steam them in a papillote with some seasonings and strip of bacon or seasoned pig fat.Cook till tender and and then chow down.

Ocassionally I throw carrots or german butterball potatoes in the mix.
:wavey:

JimmyN
11-11-2012, 12:33
I do mine southern style like my mom used to make them. Three quarts of water in a pot, add 4~5 slices bacon and a medium onion sliced up. Bring that to a boil then cover and simmer about an hour and a half.

Scoop out the bacon and onions and add the sprouts to the pot. Bring to a boil and then simmer about 30 minutes. Very tender and no bitter taste.

tantrix
11-11-2012, 12:42
Nope...always off the stalk. I've heard a lot of people hate them, but the way my wife cooks them they honestly aren't any worse than any other vegetable. She roasts them with garlic and some other stuff. They turn out tender and pretty damn good actually. I put it this way, I'll pick her brussels sprouts any day over carrots of any kind.

deadmanglocking
11-11-2012, 12:54
Cut in half. Fast sauté with a little bacon. Salt, pepper, eat.

treeline
11-11-2012, 13:06
I like brussel sprouts still on the stalk. Makes it easier to throw the whole lot as far away from me as possible.

Sneegrl
11-11-2012, 13:36

el_jewapo
11-11-2012, 14:15
I didn't know they came on a stalk. But that does look awesome. I'm having a hard time envisioning the pomegranate and cranberries being very good with it though.

deadmanglocking
11-11-2012, 17:16
If you have a problem with them being bitter peel off any leaves that look tough. As it grows it will get bitter, the softer inside will be tender and good. This goes for a lot of vegetables that grow in leaf form.

Gray_Rider
11-11-2012, 19:45
Sorry, but I don't like brussel sprouts and I don't like people who like brussel sprouts!!:wow:

It's beyond my comprehension how anybody could ever willingly put those abominations in their mouths and actually ingest the nasty spores from hell!!:ack::puking:
Full Clip, you are a man after my own heart. I ate them as a child and they were ok but for many decades now they are puke city just seeing them in the supermarket. Saw some growing in a garden a few years back and they looked like something you would see growing in the horror flick "Die Monster Die" from the 60's. I can't stand to smell them cooking (same w/ beets PUKE! X 2) "Abominations" is right!

Gray_Rider

Gray_Rider
11-11-2012, 19:47
I like brussel sprouts still on the stalk. Makes it easier to throw the whole lot as far away from me as possible.

Priceless Treeline. Priceless.

Gray_Rider

fnfalman
11-11-2012, 19:52
Brussel sprout is food for men who are stout of hearts.