Is he the worlds greatest guitarist? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Is he the worlds greatest guitarist?

M&P Shooter
11-11-2012, 12:05
Far Beyond The Sun - Yngwie Malmsteen - YouTube

Dubble-Tapper
11-11-2012, 12:12
one of them, for sure.

Razrbk444
11-11-2012, 12:15
I'm a fan of classic rock and concede his greatness. But this portly country boy can jam just as well...

http://youtu.be/QhiKgeJV3k0

M&P15T
11-11-2012, 12:19
THe question has already been answered.

Guitar Magazine had it's readership decide that Eddie VanHalen is the best guitarist.

Annoyedgrunt
11-11-2012, 12:28
The title "Greatest in the World" is debatable, but here's one of my favorites:

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk76/annoyedgrunt/747px-Slash.jpg

tantrix
11-11-2012, 12:54
Malmsteen will always be in the top 10, no doubt about it.

G17Jake
11-11-2012, 13:18
Tommy Emmanuel-The Best Guitar Boogie - YouTube
Tommy Emmanuel is very good.

BAILIFF
11-11-2012, 13:20
Dominic Frasca...

http://youtu.be/r2BOApUvFpw

Clutch Cargo
11-11-2012, 13:30
He's one of the worlds's biggest tools. There is NO ONE SINGLE "BEST"
Show me a great classic player and I'll show you a great country picker
Show mw a great bluesman and I'll show you a great jazzman

I'm in the business and know a couple-dozen world class players. They never wonder who's best, they just look for riffs and technique to "steal" from other players. It's one big mutual admiration group except for egomaniacs like Malmsteen. That boy couldn't carry a blues jam if you spotted him a couple 12 year old journeyman players.

If'n you want PLAYERS, I invite one and all to the Dallas International Guitar Festival, held every April. I'm there every year with, Point Blank, and would be glad to meet you. Come find out yourself; the REAL players are the nicest guys around. Egos, such as Ted Nugent, will never be invited back.

Clutch Cargo
11-11-2012, 13:35
THe question has already been answered.

Guitar Magazine had it's readership decide that Eddie VanHalen is the best guitarist.

That's a fan/popularity poll. Eddie had difficult technique, but so did Skydog.
The best: the player that floats your boat at any given time.

el_jewapo
11-11-2012, 13:45
It's like fighting over the best hand gun caliber or sports car. There's no real answer.

A wild idiot savant appears.

Young Buckethead is God - YouTube

M&P Shooter
11-11-2012, 13:59
It's like fighting over the best hand gun caliber or sports car. There's no real answer.

A wild idiot savant appears.

Young Buckethead is God - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ha49z5LXM0&feature=related)
He's really good but not even close to the level of the greats like Eddie or Rhoads!

Magnus2131
11-11-2012, 14:24
Lead me to 【 Angel Beats! 】 『Thousand Enemies 』 のベースを弾いてみた - YouTube

itisbruno
11-11-2012, 14:42
Angus Young starting @ about 4:20

No offense, but Eddie does not have the stamina to keep up with him

:supergrin:

Angus Young - Best Guitarsolo ever!!! (Let there Be Rock) - YouTube

GLWyandotte
11-11-2012, 15:21
It's not a contest.
If it was, Sonny Landreth would smoke any of the mechanical non-melodic speed demons previously mentioned.

Jay9928
11-11-2012, 15:28
Sorry, Malmsteen is way overrated. Every song sounds the same to me IMO. And I seen him live. A great and under appreciated guitarist is Donald "Buck Dharma" Roeser.

skew12
11-11-2012, 15:35
It's really hard to find the greatest guitarist out there because the ones with talent don't always end up in good bands. It's all opinion though. You'd be surprised at what the younger talent is bringing to the table.

Trapped_in_Kali
11-11-2012, 16:51
I'm a fan of classic rock and concede his greatness. But this portly country boy can jam just as well...

http://youtu.be/QhiKgeJV3k0

Put strings on a turd & Roy Clark could play it!
There are great rock solos but RC plays 6 string, 12 string, electric, acoustical, Classical Violin & Country Fiddle, Mandolin & Banjo & can play most right or left handed!

ithaca_deerslayer
11-11-2012, 16:53
Jimi Hendrix

K.Kiser
11-11-2012, 17:09
I agree that there are way too many styles and other eccentricities to declare just one, but I'm shock to not see one of whom I call the most powerful and natural guitarist ---- STEVIE RAY VAUGHAN ........

I really like Slash's style, Randy Rhoads(ozzy), Jake E.Lee(ozzy), John Sykes(whitesnake/ blue murder/solo), Billy Duffy (the cult) and so on and so forth... Almost forgot Randy Jackson from Zebra who is a gangster on 12 string, but at any rate I'm sure I'm forgetting at least 100 guy's though

Gareth68
11-11-2012, 17:16
Wingie is the absolute master of Guitar ************.

Is he incredibly talented?

Yep.

Do many people throw in a cd of his to groove out with friends?

Hell no.

Un-melodic crap.

But it's insanely difficult to play.

Annhl8rX
11-11-2012, 17:21
He's one of the worlds's biggest tools. There is NO ONE SINGLE "BEST"
Show me a great classic player and I'll show you a great country picker
Show mw a great bluesman and I'll show you a great jazzman

I'm in the business and know a couple-dozen world class players. They never wonder who's best, they just look for riffs and technique to "steal" from other players. It's one big mutual admiration group except for egomaniacs like Malmsteen. That boy couldn't carry a blues jam if you spotted him a couple 12 year old journeyman players.

If'n you want PLAYERS, I invite one and all to the Dallas International Guitar Festival, held every April. I'm there every year with, Point Blank, and would be glad to meet you. Come find out yourself; the REAL players are the nicest guys around. Egos, such as Ted Nugent, will never be invited back.

Is the Dallas Festival really a big deal in the guitar world? I went once when I was a kid and actually thought I might be able to play one day. Now I hear commercials on the radio for it every year. Those make it sound like something important, but that's kind of the whole point of a commercial.

Hauptmann6
11-11-2012, 17:31
Hendrix was great,
Jimmy Page,
Mark Knopfler,
Dimebag,
Billy Gibbons
And currently Jack White

Hoser423
11-11-2012, 18:20
It's not a contest.
If it was, Sonny Landreth would smoke any of the mechanical non-melodic speed demons previously mentioned.

My current favorite too!
Landreth "feels" so good and smooth to the ears that you don't even notice the technical skill unless you listen for it.
Of course everybody has different taste and that's what makes these discussions fun.

Dennis in MA
11-11-2012, 18:25
Jimi Hendrix

He'd be near the top of my list.

My criteria rests less on the ear blistering uber-licks and more an understanding of making the guitar part of you.

F'rinstance - Ted Nugent. Not a top 10 guy, but for HIS music, that guitar is more than just a tool in his hands. Not a real fan, but if its n TV, I'll watch Uncle Ted play. It's a treat.

tantrix
11-11-2012, 18:54
The next legend will be Derek Trucks. Taught by the great Duane Allman himself.

Derek Trucks Solo - YouTube

Goldendog Redux
11-11-2012, 19:22
Of the videos posted so far, the only ones I did not fast forward, skip through and ultimately stop were Roy Clark and Angus Young.

Neither of those guys are the world's greatest but damn fun to watch nonetheless

TalkToTheGlock
11-11-2012, 19:23
Brian Carol aka Buckethead is the best. Can play anything and everything.

wrczx3
11-11-2012, 19:25
My favorite is Eddie Van Halen.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MsvipDAnq4k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ralff
11-11-2012, 22:05
My favorite player changes every so often. The great thing about guitar is that there are so many fantastic artists out there. Just when you don't think it can get any better, another player comes along and blows your mind.

Here lately I've been listening to a lot of old GNR, and I gotta say Slash is up there. A prime example that a piece doesn't have to be technically difficult to sound amazing. It probably helps that he has one of the best hard rock tones of all time, especially the AFD album. :rock:

GLWyandotte
11-12-2012, 04:52

Derek Trucks Solo - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuybJ08UU2Q)

Derek is great, but he must've been taught by Duane's ghost. He died 8 years before Trucks was born.
I'm a huge ABB fan btw.

Bren
11-12-2012, 05:01
Depends on what you mean by great. I think he's terrible because he plays the guitar fast and technically well, but with no feeling for actually making music. When you are finished being amazed by the number of notes, he's just a boring guy who should be teaching the technical skills somewhere.

He is the musical equivilent of a photorealist painter - it's amazing how perfectly they can paint, but, in the end, you are usually left saying, "so what? It's just a picture I could take with a camera - nothing added."

If guitar was a speed contest or a competition to demonstrate knowledge of music theory, then he might win and a guy like B.B. King couldn't even explain what he was playing, but where Malmsteen has been a "has been" since the 90's, B.B. King, playing slow with few notes, will be remembered as a guitar hero long after him and Yngwie are both dead.

Tvov
11-12-2012, 05:52
Malmsteen can move his fingers really fast. Interesting to listen to.

I prefer it a little different:
Around 4:50 for the solo, but the whole song is awesome...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJZYG5qwHHI

And then, of course, there is God:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX5USg8_1gA

Everyone has their favorite(s). Just don't keep yourself from checking out other styles!

Gareth68
11-12-2012, 07:38

I love having Warren and Derek together, but honestly prefer Warren's solos most of the time. Derek is another masterful technical player.

He can do amazing things with the slide, but he often just seems sterile.

I think, like so many others mentioned, he often puts in too many notes, too much technicality...and it hurts him overall.

I do think performing with his wife is helping him grow, and he may be that guy as he grows.

But right now, for me, it just isn't there on a consistent basis.

It's moments of brilliance weaved in with a lot of repetitive jamming.

Here is a great video of Warren and Derek on acoustics..

Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks - Old Friend - YouTube

guns54
11-12-2012, 13:11
Jimi HendrixRIP Jimi, Hes the best ever.

Berto
11-12-2012, 13:24
Malmsteen is a shredder and he's impressive to watch, but boring as **** to listen to. And he a ******.
There's a million out there on youtube who can play just like him. He deserves credit for being a pioneer in the Neo Classical metal thing, but hardly a blip as far as 'greats' go.
Great guitarist move you, whether it's their contribution to the whole of the music in a band, or a simple unaccompanied song banged out on an accoustic-from the soul.

Yngwie doesn't do either, skilled as he is.

Providence
11-12-2012, 13:31
Derek is great, but he must've been taught by Duane's ghost. He died 8 years before Trucks was born.
I'm a huge ABB fan btw.

Derek is the nephew of one of ABB's long-time drummers, Butch Trucks. He grew up hearing old ABB albums, and somehow "got" Duane. Give him time. He shows moments of genius. As he ages he'll just get better.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

tantrix
11-12-2012, 14:27
I'm a huge ABB fan btw.

:rofl:

Thanks for catching that...I meant inspired but guess I typed 'taught' because his uncle is an original ABB member.

RDW
11-12-2012, 14:41
Depends on What Style of music threy're playing!

TBO
11-12-2012, 15:38
Depends on what you mean by great. I think he's terrible because he plays the guitar fast and technically well, but with no feeling for actually making music. When you are finished being amazed by the number of notes, he's just a boring guy who should be teaching the technical skills somewhere.

He is the musical equivilent of a photorealist painter - it's amazing how perfectly they can paint, but, in the end, you are usually left saying, "so what? It's just a picture I could take with a camera - nothing added."

If guitar was a speed contest or a competition to demonstrate knowledge of music theory, then he might win and a guy like B.B. King couldn't even explain what he was playing, but where Malmsteen has been a "has been" since the 90's, B.B. King, playing slow with few notes, will be remembered as a guitar hero long after him and Yngwie are both dead.I agree with the general statement made (but would have softened it a bit :whistling: ).

seed
11-12-2012, 16:07
And currently Jack White

Please stop... Why do people keep glorifying this over-rated fraud? Sorry to come off disrespectful, but Jack White in the discussion of one of the greatest guitar players of all time?!

There are plenty of greats. My favorite has been SRV and Hendrix for a long time now. I love blues guitar and thus the former. As for the latter, Hendrix understood better than anyone before or since how his guitar was an instrument of musical expression and not a tool of self-indulgent skillful sound or noise.

Black&TAN
11-12-2012, 16:28
Would have to put Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson, and Al Di Meola into the hat.

All expressive and technically proficient guitarists, with an influential flair that has helped to expand the music industry within their own genres.

There's a lot of talented individuals, in past and in present, that it's really hard to pick any one from the bunch as the greatest IMO... they've all got their plusses and minuses.

sent via Tapatalk

GLWyandotte
11-12-2012, 16:53
Please stop... Why do people keep glorifying this over-rated fraud? Sorry to come off disrespectful, but Jack White in the discussion of one of the greatest guitar players of all time?!

There are plenty of greats. My favorite has been SRV and Hendrix for a long time now. I love blues guitar and thus the former. As for the latter, Hendrix understood better than anyone before or since how his guitar was an instrument of musical expression and not a tool of self-indulgent skillful sound or noise.

I don't get the Jack White thing either. He's an acquired taste for sure. He certainly isn't afraid to make a mistake or three.

tantrix
11-12-2012, 17:07

I don't get it either. On most lists of great guitar players, he's like 70+ out of 100 at best. I personally don't think he should even be on a list of the top 100 at all.

Bill Powell
11-12-2012, 17:15
He's proven to me that he can take six strings and make loud ,screechy sounds. Music is supposed to calm the soul, not make your head hurt.

Henry's Dad
11-12-2012, 17:28
Eric Johnson played near me recently, so I decided to go. Not so much because I'm a huge fan, but thought it would be cool to see a great "technical" player live. The show was fun, but forgettable. Great technical abilty doesn't always translate to music that moves or touches you.

The real treat was his opening act, Andy McKee. Check out his acoustic covers of Toto's Africa and TFF's Everybody Wants to rule the World.

byf43
11-12-2012, 17:34
Greatest guitarists:

Chet Atkins
Peter White
Peter White --- The View From Your Window. - YouTube
Smooth Jazz - Peter White - San Diego [HD] - YouTube
Andy McKee
Andy McKee - Into the Ocean - www.candyrat.com - YouTube
Carlos Santana
Roy Clark
Eric Clapton

ithaca_deerslayer
11-12-2012, 17:45
Lots of good links in this thread. All interesting and good guitar playing.

So, here is my vote. Jimi Hendix Little Wing.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=TuB76z1GTKs&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DTuB76z1GTKs

Desktop version in case that link doesn't work for someone
http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=TuB76z1GTKs

Lots of feeling in his playing style.

He was in the 101 Airborne too, and from what I read he really like to jump. But guess he didn't like much else and was given an early honorable discharge :)

bonehead098
11-12-2012, 17:53
And then, of course, there is God:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX5USg8_1gA

This!

bonehead098
11-12-2012, 18:00
Would have to put Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson, and Al Di Meola into the hat.

All expressive and technically proficient guitarists, with an influential flair that has helped to expand the music industry within their own genres.

There's a lot of talented individuals, in past and in present, that it's really hard to pick any one from the bunch as the greatest IMO... they've all got their plusses and minuses.

sent via Tapatalk

I must agree. I've seen them all in concert. Eric Johnson's versatility is absolutely amazing. We saw him in the acoustically perfect Tampa Theater. His own stuff is outstanding. His Stevie Ray Vaughn & Jimi Hendrix are a reincarnation.

rustygun
11-12-2012, 18:20
All depends on the style you like the most i guess. Be it blues rock metal jazz classical whatever. Lots of noteworthy folks out there to be sure. But check out this guy unplugged.

Tommy Emmanuel - Classical Gas - YouTube

FPS
11-12-2012, 18:59
this guy seems to know what he's doing :rofl:

ZZ Top - Just Got Paid (From "Double Down Live - 1980") - YouTube

ZZ Top - La Grange (From "Double Down Live - 1980") - YouTube

tantrix
11-12-2012, 19:03

ZZ Top - Just Got Paid (From "Double Down Live - 1980") - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c7d8BYJy8I)

My favorite ZZ Top song...I used to blast it every payday when I left work. :rofl:

seed
11-13-2012, 01:20
Eric Johnson played near me recently, so I decided to go. Not so much because I'm a huge fan, but thought it would be cool to see a great "technical" player live. The show was fun, but forgettable. Great technical abilty doesn't always translate to music that moves or touches you.

The real treat was his opening act, Andy McKee. Check out his acoustic covers of Toto's Africa (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHFcg1Bg83w) and TFF's Everybody Wants to rule the World (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foJ-Fs6DWZM&feature=channel&list=UL).

That was impressive! I never even heard of him. Thanks for the discovery. I'll be keeping my eye open for him in the future.

Bren
11-13-2012, 05:06
I agree with the general statement made (but would have softened it a bit :whistling: ).

I doubt Yngwie reads Glock Talk and he doesn't expect me to be nice to him if he does.

TBO
11-13-2012, 05:25
:D

Sent from the toe of my jack boot using Tapatalk 2

Clutch Cargo
11-13-2012, 12:25
Is the Dallas Festival really a big deal in the guitar world? I went once when I was a kid and actually thought I might be able to play one day. Now I hear commercials on the radio for it every year. Those make it sound like something important, but that's kind of the whole point of a commercial.

It's the biggest guitar festival in the Western Hemisphere. It's not about any one player; the players that come are very diverse. Malmsteen to Ricky Skaggs. Eric Johnson to Jimmie Vaughan. Satriani to Johnny A. Current and former guitarists for John mayall's Bluesbreakers. Cuttin' Heads between Andy Timmons and Johnny Hiland (Hiland was handicapped by not using his own guitar - he played Paul Reed Smith's personal instrument)

Also, you never know who will show and possibly jam. I've admired a Les Paul at the same time as Billy Gibbons. I've admired a Strat at the same time as Joe Bonamassa.
There's nothing quite like it.

Clutch Cargo
11-13-2012, 12:41

Billy and the boys had the right sound at the right time. The guys I work with, Point Blank, are back with ZZ Tops management/production of Bill Ham/Lone Wolf Productions.
Look for the two bands to keep it in the 'family" and schedule a world tour together.

My 45 year bud and the master of the left-handed upside-down guitar, Rusty Burns and the legendary Point Blank:

POINT BLANK Freeman - LIVE @ Bobino Paris, FR 2010 - YouTube

After the 2007 Point Blank show at Billy Bob's Disney, Paris, France
Left to right: Sergio, me, Rusty Burns, Didier
http://www.mandor.fr/media/02/00/1860399405.jpg

Clutch Cargo
11-13-2012, 13:32
Technical? - Jeff Beck
Blues/rock? - Frank Marino
12 string acoustic? - Leo Kottke
Acoustic electric? - Monte Montgomery
Monte Montgomery: Little Wing acoustic instrumental - YouTube

Jay9928
11-16-2012, 16:00
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ma27vxmOSG1rf75uco1_400.gif

benji
11-16-2012, 16:48
I think David Gilmour makes the most beautiful music with a guitar http://youtu.be/bDC3ade3JxU

SevenSixtyTwo
11-16-2012, 19:14
Great thread! I like Ingwie. If you ever get the chance to check out his signature Strat, the scalloped neck is a trip! David Gilmore is my favorite. What a shame we didn't get to see what Jimi may have turned into without the heroin. I liked Eric Johnson's Cliffs of Dover so much I bought his signature Strat in this color.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15eu7ar5EKM

Clutch Cargo
11-16-2012, 20:45
I don't think anybody mentioned Johnny Winter, Andrs Segovia , Paco de Luca, Steve Vai, John Petrucci, Robert Fripp, Steve Morse, Paul Gilbert, Steve Lukather, et al. Folks, the world if FULL of great musicians.

There is a 10 year old reincarnation of Duane Allman/SRV/Hendrix etc. playing his butt off every night in his bedroom. Someday we'll hear him if he's in the right place at the right time.

I've got 5 world class players within 130 miles of my home. Just enjoy what they love to do and forget about any contest. Music isn't a competition, it's about making the listeners enjoy themselves.

Inyo Tim
11-16-2012, 21:57
Music isn't a competition, it's about making the listeners enjoy themselves.

The most technically proficient musician might not be the most entertaining. Think Jerry Lee Lewis vs Van Cliburn. I'd rather go to a Jerry Lee concert.

Kevin108
11-16-2012, 22:23
No mention of Herman Li? Yes, the band is ridiculous but he seems quite talented.

DragonForce - Heroes of Our Time (HD Official Video) - YouTube

Fiery Red XIII
11-16-2012, 22:50
John Petrucci!

Red

tantrix
11-16-2012, 22:55
John Petrucci!

Red

No doubt...Dream Theater is an amazing band.

Pentothal
11-17-2012, 04:19
Tony MacAlpine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zmhY20ZZkY&feature=related

Just a small example of what this guy can do.

Hamrhed
11-17-2012, 10:38
Malmsteen certainly was the fastest I have ever seen live...

The best for me would have to be Ty Tabor from Kings X: great rhythm and lead player- quite original

Henry Kane
11-17-2012, 13:29
Not the most well-known, but Tosin Abasi from Animals as Leaders does amazing stuff with an 8-string.

Animals As Leaders - "CAFO" Prosthetic Records - YouTube

EMG - Tosin Abasi - Wave of Babies - YouTube

I am surprised that no mention of Guthrie Govan has been made. Or Vernon Reid.

musicman10_1
11-17-2012, 15:33
Yngwie is certainly among the greatest electric guitarists alive and among the most influential; those who deny that seem to want to knock Yngwie for his personality.

tantrix
11-17-2012, 15:52
I am surprised that no mention of Guthrie Govan has been made. Or Vernon Reid.

Love to hear Vernon Reid.

Jade Falcon
11-17-2012, 16:42
Tommy Emmanuel-The Best Guitar Boogie - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4hpTBv1DT4&feature=endscreen&NR=1)
Tommy Emmanuel is very good.

Amen to that! Love that guy!

Joe Bonamassa is probably the best electric guitarist going right now. The man is simply amazing!

seed
11-17-2012, 16:47
Yngwie is certainly among the greatest electric guitarists alive and among the most influential; those who deny that seem to want to knock Yngwie for his personality.

He's amazing...he's incredibly fast...he's as skilled as it gets. BUT, he sacrifices the most important factor of all when it comes to playing music: the music. The music he plays sounds more like an exercise of human guitar-playing ability, rather than song enhancement via guitar sounds steered by player intent and emotional purpose. It's what my guitar teacher called "musicality".

That's the best way I can describe it at the moment.

Bro KV
11-17-2012, 17:08
Satch

SevenSixtyTwo
11-17-2012, 18:17
He's amazing...he's incredibly fast...he's as skilled as it gets. BUT, he sacrifices the most important factor of all when it comes to playing music: the music. The music he plays sounds more like an exercise of human guitar-playing ability, rather than song enhancement via guitar sounds steered by player intent and emotional purpose. It's what my guitar teacher called "musicality".

That's the best way I can describe it at the moment.

Such as David Gilmore or Billy Gibbons. Not much technical ability above a pentatonic scale but, they do it with such style and emotion, it's music to our ears. Watch Eric Clapton try to "shred". It just doesn't happen. But he has style with his simple technique. Ingwie plays beautifully fast arpeggio. After that, it gets repetitive and boring even as impressive as it is. I good musician can change your mood with a few notes or chords of his instrument. Joe Satriani is good with this.

randyr5
11-18-2012, 18:31
Andres Segovia - Asturias - YouTube

amorican88
11-18-2012, 18:52
More of Mr. Trucks.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vuadh1o0yC8