OC @ Taco Bell [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : OC @ Taco Bell

Hamilton Burger
11-11-2012, 15:01
Last night my son wanted Taco Bell. We had the joint mostly to ourselves, until these two somewhat bedraggled gents came in. Both were in head-to-toe camo, and one guy was holding a hand over his eye.

After they sat down the eye-holder pulled off his rain poncho and I saw he was open carrying a 1911 of some kind. He asked us a good place to hunt around here (?) and where to find some cows...

me: "Cows?"

guy: *gestures at buddy*
"He has a handicapped pemit."

me: "I've only hunted cougar, just south of here, on private land. Guy was offering a bounty."

guy: "I use .30-06 on cougar. Last one I shot, it hit a bone and blew out his rib cage, what a mess."

me: "Well, I just took a .223."

guy: "Yeah, well, I'd be sure to have a sidearm. I always have my sidearm in the woods."

me: "I can see that. 1911?"

guy: "Yep. .45 caliber. Only 3 companies made 'em: Colt, Springfield, and Ithaca."

me: :headscratch:
"If you mean ww1, it was just Colt and the Springfield armory."

guy: "What about Ithaca?"

me: "WW2. It was Colt, Ithaca, Remington-Rand, and US&S. Singer even made a few. "

Now the guy got up and handed me his loaded gun, condition 2 or 3 (I never checked); I guess I have a trustworthy face?
guy: "What's this then?!?"

I was half expecting a good old GI Mixmaster. Left side of the slide read MODEL 1911A1 US ARMY. Right side frame said Auto Ordnance, and serial #.

me: "This was the manufacturer of the Tommy gun. Kahr owns them now. This one feels like a nice piece. Has it been reliable for you?"

guy: "That's one accurate sumbich right there."

As soon as I handed it back he pulled out the mag and popped out a round to show me the Hornady ammo he likes to carry. Hardball profile with a rubber tip?

Anyway, we were done eating and ready to go. In a perfect world I might've invited the guys over for some more in-depth 1911 discussion. But part of me, maybe 10%, was hinky about a guy who, in the course of casual conversation, would pull his pistol out and hand it to a total stranger at Taco Bell. :rofl:

So, which GTer was it? I felt bad that I never asked why he was holding his eye. :upeyes:

arclight610
11-11-2012, 15:08
I would have reciprocated by showing him my RIA 1911 that my grandpa carried in Korea.

He probably had some brass fragments in his eye from a case-head separation from his Gunshow Reloads.

NeverMore1701
11-11-2012, 15:43
Last night my son wanted Taco Bell. We had the joint mostly to ourselves, until these two somewhat bedraggled gents came in. Both were in head-to-toe camo, and one guy was holding a hand over his eye.

After they sat down the eye-holder pulled off his rain poncho and I saw he was open carrying a 1911 of some kind. He asked us a good place to hunt around here (?) and where to find some cows...

me: "Cows?"

guy: *gestures at buddy*
"He has a handicapped pemit."

me: "I've only hunted cougar, just south of here, on private land. Guy was offering a bounty."

guy: "I use .30-06 on cougar. Last one I shot, it hit a bone and blew out his rib cage, what a mess."

me: "Well, I just took a .223."

guy: "Yeah, well, I'd be sure to have a sidearm. I always have my sidearm in the woods."

me: "I can see that. 1911?"

guy: "Yep. .45 caliber. Only 3 companies made 'em: Colt, Springfield, and Ithaca."

me: :headscratch:
"If you mean ww1, it was just Colt and the Springfield armory."

guy: "What about Ithaca?"

me: "WW2. It was Colt, Ithaca, Remington-Rand, and US&S. Singer even made a few. "

Now the guy got up and handed me his loaded gun, condition 2 or 3 (I never checked); I guess I have a trustworthy face?
guy: "What's this then?!?"

I was half expecting a good old GI Mixmaster. Left side of the slide read MODEL 1911A1 US ARMY. Right side frame said Auto Ordnance, and serial #.

me: "This was the manufacturer of the Tommy gun. Kahr owns them now. This one feels like a nice piece. Has it been reliable for you?"

guy: "That's one accurate sumbich right there."

As soon as I handed it back he pulled out the mag and popped out a round to show me the Hornady ammo he likes to carry. Hardball profile with a rubber tip?

Anyway, we were done eating and ready to go. In a perfect world I might've invited the guys over for some more in-depth 1911 discussion. But part of me, maybe 10%, was hinky about a guy who, in the course of casual conversation, would pull his pistol out and hand it to a total stranger at Taco Bell. :rofl:

So, which GTer was it? I felt bad that I never asked why he was holding his eye. :upeyes:

This story rates a wat out of 10.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/173/576/Wat8.jpg?1315930535

Adjuster
11-11-2012, 15:48
What was up with the hand over the eye? What was up with hunting cows? And what does a handicap hunting permit get you?

/

Bill Keith
11-11-2012, 15:57
Mr Burger, I believe you have the keen eye and sensibility of a philosopher. Your observations are astute, ringing clearly with the smack of truth. You sir, have the makings of a good politition or an honest barber.:wavey:

Hamilton Burger
11-11-2012, 16:03
I would have reciprocated by showing him my RIA 1911 that my grandpa carried in Korea.

He probably had some brass fragments in his eye from a case-head separation from his Gunshow Reloads.

All I had on me was a .38 snub.

I can picture him getting a fish-hook in the eye while trying to flush some cows. :whistling:

This story rates a wat out of 10.

Only a wat? I thought this was at least a 3 wat story? See below...

What was up with the hand over the eye? What was up with hunting cows? And what does a handicap hunting permit get you?

I never got the chance to ask all that, but I believe the handicap permit lets you shoot from your truck.

Mr Burger, I believe you have the keen eye and sensibility of a philosopher. Your observations are astute, ringing clearly with the smack of truth. You sir, have the makings of a good politition or an honest barber.

Hey, Bill. :wavey: So, how's the eye today???

Think we'll go back to TB today... this time I'm bringing more firepower!

Wow. Post 666. On second thought, maybe I'll just sit back awhile and wait for the pocky-clipse.

great story Eurodriver , it gets em everytime

"What have I ever done, for you to treat me with such disrespect?" :dunno:

http://i50.tinypic.com/2a7j3f4.jpg

*ASH*
11-11-2012, 16:06
great story Eurodriver , it gets em everytime :rofl::rofl:

svtpwnz
11-11-2012, 16:11
Hunting cows?:laughabove::laughabove::laughabove:

TBO
11-11-2012, 16:21
N. Dallas area?

Sent from the toe of my jack boot using Tapatalk 2

Hamilton Burger
11-11-2012, 16:30
N. Dallas area?

Yeah, way north. Think western Oregon.

airmotive
11-11-2012, 16:30

Pow'R-Balls.
Only HP my New Agent will feed 100%.

TheExplorer
11-11-2012, 16:33
Hmm, I wouldn't touch a stranger's gun.

MAC702
11-11-2012, 16:36
Hornady Critical Defense would be the ammunition.

Pow'RBall is a Cor-Bon load.

A loaded sidearm should never be shown off socially. If y'all are that friendly, there will come a time to show it off (unloaded) while something else is performing the loaded sidearm duty. I realize that is not the point of the story, but it's a good reminder that most gun carriers are not that lax.

jpa
11-11-2012, 16:38
Hmm....covered in Camo.....at Taco Bell..................carrying a 1911...................did he have a Dodge Ram parked in the lot?

My bet is on Okie. :)

mjkeat
11-11-2012, 16:47
Very responsable...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Lee-online
11-11-2012, 16:50
Wot! Taco Bell. Eww.

Hamilton Burger
11-11-2012, 16:50
Hmm....covered in Camo.....at Taco Bell..................carrying a 1911...................did he have a Dodge Ram parked in the lot?

Actually, yes there was a white Dodge p/u parked all kittywumpass in the handicap spot.

Okie would never do that. Besides, no Range Officer was fondled during the events described. :rofl:

czsmithGT
11-11-2012, 16:53
Cows are fierce and dangerous animals - just because they just stand still and stare at you doesn't mean in a second they won't attack.

MAC702
11-11-2012, 16:56
Cows are fierce and dangerous animals - just because they just stand still and stare at you doesn't mean in a second they won't attack.

Same as an "open carrier being the first one shot in an armed robbery."

Just because it's never happened, doesn't mean it won't, but...

Personally, I give higher odds to the death-cow.

geofri
11-11-2012, 17:03
............Taco Bell....................
.head-to-toe camo,...........................

:whistling::whistling::whistling:

geofri
11-11-2012, 17:04

Actually, yes there was a white Dodge p/u parked all kittywumpass in the handicap spot.

Okie would never do that. Besides, no Range Officer was fondled during the events described. :rofl:

Oh. Whoops. Way slow.

jpa
11-11-2012, 19:09

did you say "kitty" wumpass? Was he making dumb Alf puns too? :)

Kingarthurhk
11-11-2012, 19:46
I have seen this ammount of stupid before. When I was a young adult just starting in college my father had an FFL, back when you could buy an SKS for under 100.00. Yes, quite some time ago. As part of that FFL license, it requires the BATF, now BATFE to come by and inspect your logs, etc.

Well, one showed up. They started talking firearms. The BATF Agent hands over his loaded duty weapon to my father to show it to him.

I have been in law enforcement for right about 15 years now. I still am still in disbelief about this incident. No way in heck I would have handed over my duty weapon to anyone. I am still fascinated by the general populous who do that with complete strangers too.

Clutch Cargo
11-12-2012, 12:27
Taco Bell and 1911s? Was Okie in there somewhere?

Hamilton Burger
11-12-2012, 16:26
Taco Bell and 1911s? Was Okie in there somewhere?

Welcome to yesterday, Clutch. :wavey: Thanks for the bump :thumbsup:

IMHO Taco Bell is to Mexican food as Auto Ordnance is to 1911. Sometimes you have to go with what's at hand. He was mighty proud of his though. More power to him. I wonder if Silent Bob bagged a cow last night.

:cow: :cow: :50cal:

Spiffums
11-12-2012, 18:01
Maybe he meant female of whatever they were hunting........I have only heard Elk called Cows and Bulls.

Hef
11-12-2012, 18:32
*****?

F14Scott
11-12-2012, 19:53
Hornady Critical Defense would be the ammunition.

Yep. I carry it, myself.

http://www.hornady.com/store/critical_defense

Hamilton Burger
11-12-2012, 21:41
Yes coast elk season started 2 days ago. Coast BULL elk, that is.

mixflip
11-12-2012, 22:18
Life is stranger than fiction. Normally I'd call BS but sadly weirder things have happened with guns in public places.

I recently was a first responder to a man who shot himself in the thigh as he attempted to "drop a deuce" in a public restroom. He stumbled out of the restroom and collapsed in the hallway. I think he collapsed from embarrassment? For the record, he was using a cheap nylon non retention IWB holster with a Glock. The gun began to slip out, he panicked and lunged for the gun and....POW. Hole in the leg!!!

Life is strange.