Should i clean my glocks immediately after shooting??? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Should i clean my glocks immediately after shooting???

Police305
11-11-2012, 16:45
I usually clean my Glocks as soon as I get home from the range, but I was just wondering if its really necessary to clean them right away???...i mean can the ammo corrode the inside of the barrel?

SJ 40
11-11-2012, 16:55
The only gun/guns I clean sooner rather than later would be a gun that I CCW or one I have shot black powder out of,other than that they will keep till I get the time to clean them.
A firearm shot with smokeless powder and non mercuric priming is not going to rust if not cleaned immediately. SJ 40

robhic
11-11-2012, 16:59
I clean as soon as I return home, too. I think a lot of people do ... and a lot don't. Seems, IMO, to be a personal thing. I like to clean and get it done without letting things sit. I don't think it's imperative you do so, I just like my guns clean.

ignantmike
11-11-2012, 17:14
sometimes i do sometimes i don't.....

solvability
11-11-2012, 17:21
Good practice to clean on return but needless as a policy.

Finestkind
11-11-2012, 17:24
I usually clean them within the week. A lot of times I may go to the range but not get time to clean them until later.

Finestkind

W.E.G.
11-11-2012, 17:25
Probably the most important part of "cleaning" is INSPECTION.

If something is broken, or breaking, you may not notice it if you just shove the gun back in the plastic holster without a close inspection.

As for "cleaning," it takes all of two minutes to wipe off the boltface and push a patch through the bore.

Glock recommends an annual detailed inspection by an armorer.
You can learn enough about your gun by just watching youtube vids, that you can do your own inspections.

...and you SHOULD.

dhgeyer
11-11-2012, 17:25
People do all kinds of things with respect to maintaining firearms these days. As SJ 40 says, there is nothing in the ammunition fouling that will harm metal or plastic. I guess the only caveat would be if you live in a very damp and/or salty environment you would probably want to get a coating of oil on exposed metal surfaces, although with today's coatings even that may not be needed.

Some people run AR15's for thousands of rounds with no maintenance. Others, like me, run them for hundreds of rounds, which would be several range sessions over weeks or even months, only making sure that they are well lubricated. Due to the direct impingement gas system on the AR15, the action gets many times dirtier than a Glock. The conventional wisdom is that they'll run as long as you keep them "wet". This has certainly been my experience.

With a Glock, I would go more by the round count than time. I don't tend to do a lot of shooting in one range session, so I don't clean them every time I shoot them. I think that would be a waste of time and materials.

The exception, as has been pointed out, is what I carry. I want that clean and freshly (lightly) oiled.

DWARREN123
11-11-2012, 17:27
On my CCW I do a fast clean before I leave the range other I sometimes clean after but sometimes I dom't.
Doesn't seem to matter much if using good, clean ammo. :supergrin:

barth
11-11-2012, 17:28
I usually clean my Glocks as soon as I get home from the range, but I was just wondering if its really necessary to clean them right away???...i mean can the ammo corrode the inside of the barrel?

I usually clean the guns immediately after shooting.
But if I'm shooting at lunch, I'll wait till I get off work.

Arc Angel
11-11-2012, 17:28
I usually do; but I have, also, gone for as long as 3 or 4 days before cleaning a gun that's been fired with modern (American-made) smokeless powder and primers. Right now I'm not, however, going to clean the valuable old S&W Model 41 that I fired all this afternoon. (It's a, 'primo gun'; but I'm tired; and it can wait!) It will be laid out on my brand new Glock mat and thoroughly cleaned tomorrow morning, though. ;)

F350
11-11-2012, 17:40
Clean a GLOCK after every shooting???????

People really do that??? I clean mine a couple, 3 times a year; in testing Glocks have gone 100,000+ rounds without cleaning.

RLE
11-11-2012, 21:12
I usually clean the guns immediately after shooting.
But if I'm shooting at lunch, I'll wait till I get off work.
If I have to shoot at lunch, I will probably have the afternoon off.
I always clean as soon as possible after shooting, just habit.

Indianashooter
11-11-2012, 21:29
I usually clean my Glock(s) and other guns when I get home from the range. It's kind of relaxing. As it happened, I didn't clean my G19 last Friday night after I got home from a zombie shoot house that I went to after work. I just shot 30 frangible rounds (damn dirty assed rounds). Got home from the range today after shooting several hundred rounds (plus two other guns) and cleaned them all. I didn't have a single problem.

dango
11-11-2012, 21:30
Out here in the boonies where I live, I shoot as much as I can afford , twice a week normally so I do clean them a lot.plus I got pretty, shiny barrels.........! :supergrin:

itstime
11-11-2012, 21:50
I used to but it may take while nowadays. They are cleaned before I take them back out shooting though.

LASTRESORT20
11-11-2012, 21:57
Always...like clockwork...Clean & inspect after shooting (always want them ready and fresh).....makes me feel good..... any way... I like the smell of them after cleaning.

WinterWizard
11-11-2012, 22:02

People really do that??? I clean mine a couple, 3 times a year; in testing Glocks have gone 100,000+ rounds without cleaning.

Some people like to take care of their stuff, like changing your oil every 3,000-5,000 rather than wait until your engine sludges up ... or clean your Glock after every range visit rather than wait for it to malfunction or the barrel to be so filthy that a slingshot would be more accurate.

et45
11-11-2012, 22:04
It should be detail stripped and cleaned after EVERY!!! round you fire.It should take 10-12 hrs to shoot a 50 rd box of ammo

Sorry had to say that,you got people on here who think you have to clean a gun once a week even if it hasn't been fired.

LASTRESORT20
11-11-2012, 22:17
It should be detail stripped and cleaned after EVERY!!! round you fire.It should take 10-12 hrs to shoot a 50 rd box of ammo

Sorry had to say that,you got people on here who think you have to clean a gun once a week even if it hasn't been fired.

To each their own Brother....Ya...sometimes I clean `em just before I go to the Range after it was already cleaned from the last time i got back from the range....also they're wiped down daily....sometimes twice a day....I know them inside-out....and can clean `em blind-folded...I am learning to clean `em one handed....cause I can.:wavey:

unit1069
11-11-2012, 22:27
I clean every gun I shoot after returning from the range. The longest I've waited is 24 hours --- once.

I just feel better having all firearms ready for service on a moment's notice, for peace of mind if nothing else.

MikeG36
11-12-2012, 00:43
I usually clean em right after I get home from the range.

TommyOC
11-12-2012, 01:57
I'm new to glocks and guns in general. From what I've read on here and heard from others, it's not necessary to do so. However, it's my home defense weapon, and my only one, so I clean it after every range session, regardless of the amount of rounds put through it (usually 100)

Tkz
11-12-2012, 02:50
I just like a clean firearm, if I cannot clean when I am done shooting, I will get it as soon as I get a chance. At least a minimum cleaning, barrel and a q tip swab job on slide and frame. I do not completely strip em down that often.

Bruce M
11-12-2012, 07:00

:rofl::rofl:

For me a gun that I carry is cleaned as soon as possible and before carrying it again. I do not worry as much about a range only gun.

cowboywannabe
11-12-2012, 07:07
well, if its used for self defense its your life on the line.....what do you think?

Beanie-Bean
11-12-2012, 07:10
Usually within a day or so, with the exception of the pistols in my CCW rotation.

I'll clean the range mags out at least once a month, and right away if I've dropped some in the sandy dirt while running drills.

The Glock magazines don't worry me so much, but the metal magazines/expensive magazines are generally treated with a little more care.

33rdglock17
11-12-2012, 07:49
Besides wiping down the outside I only clean/oil/inspect my Glocks every 2 or 3 range trips. One time I let my beloved 17 go ~1500 rds before cleaning just to see if it could. It was nice seeing that the gun could take that "abuse" and still be fine

austinjunks
11-12-2012, 08:04
I clean my carry immediately, others I save for when I need "me time" away from the woman.

Austin via o hub

Jack23
11-12-2012, 08:16
I will sometimes clean my Glocks a day or two after shooting them but I DO clean them after every trip to the range. I could not close my eyes in sleep if one of my guns was left dirty for any longer that a couple of days. Maybe it isn't necessary but it's just the way I was raised.

When I was young I had very little money for things like guns and fishing/hunting gear. Having to live like that will teach you to take care of what you do have. Now that I can afford nice stuff I take care of it like I would if I was unable to replace it. Is this a waste of time. Perhaps. But it's what makes me FEEL GOOD and gives me CONFIDENCE in all my guns. See. Along with the cleaning you need to INSPECT the parts and components especially on guns you carry to defend yourself with. To me it would be past foolish to go thousands or even hundreds or rounds without making sure everything is OK. Stuff happens ya know.

Fear Night
11-12-2012, 08:44
Depends how much I shot on the trip. No, it is not required unless you were shooting corrosive military surplus ammo for some reason.

I normally will do a Glock cleaning after 400-500ish rounds, but they could easily go thousands without cleaning if you wanted. For my .22LR's I will normally clean them after each outing. Cheap .22 plinking ammo is very dirty.

Kinda off topic but I recently discovered my new cleaner of choice thanks to GT forums ... BALLISTOL. Never going back to Hoppes ...

Z71
11-12-2012, 08:55
Glocks are sort of like cast-iron cookware...don't want to clean them too good or you destroy the 'seasoning'!! :upeyes:

I clean my pistols after use as a rule...however..unless you're shooting some old milsurp ammo that may be corrosive it's probably not neccesary to clean a Glock everytime you burn a few rounds.

If you use old corrosive ammo..you better clean the gun or you will be sorry!!

SJ 40
11-12-2012, 08:59
Depends how much I shot on the trip. No, it is not required unless you were shooting corrosive military surplus ammo for some reason.

I normally will do a Glock cleaning after 400-500ish rounds, but they could easily go thousands without cleaning if you wanted. For my .22LR's I will normally clean them after each outing. Cheap .22 plinking ammo is very dirty.

Kinda off topic but I recently discovered my new cleaner of choice thanks to GT forums ... BALLISTOL. Never going back to Hoppes ...I have been using Ballistol since 1985 and am very satisfied,haven't bothered looking for other cleaner,protectants I found mine. SJ 40

G23Gen4.40
11-12-2012, 08:59
I usually clean mine as soon as I return home, or the next day at the latest. It bugs me if they are dirty.

ghr1142
11-12-2012, 09:35
Always...like clockwork...Clean & inspect after shooting (always want them ready and fresh).....makes me feel good..... any way... I like the smell of them after cleaning.

Me to !Nothing is better than the smell of old "HOPPES in the afternoon. :)

scccdoc
11-12-2012, 10:02
I assume you guys are doing a "field strip" and not a "detail strip". This may cause excessive pin wear.............

gunsmoke92
11-12-2012, 10:57

Yeah, and people still drink and drive. :steamed: Doesn't make it right. Just because a Glock can go 100,000 rounds without cleaning, doesn't mean it should.

As to the OP, IMHO a day or so won't make a world of difference, but get it cleaned. It's nice knowing that my firearms are ready to go at a moments notice and any failure will not be because I failed to do my part.

Fear Night
11-12-2012, 12:51
I assume you guys are doing a "field strip" and not a "detail strip". This may cause excessive pin wear.............
Huh? Care to elaborate?

Correctly talking apart the slide should cause no excessive wear on anything.

edit: Ok, I think now you are talking about the polymer pins in the lower assembly. In that case, you are definitely correct. I was thinking firing pin wear for some reason.

scccdoc
11-12-2012, 13:09
Huh? Care to elaborate?

Correctly talking apart the slide should cause no excessive wear on anything.

edit: Ok, I think now you are talking about the polymer pins in the lower assembly. In that case, you are definitely correct. I was thinking firing pin wear for some reason.

Yeah, a "detail" strip" is a complete disassembly. I field strip every 500 rds, detail once a year..........

SJ 40
11-12-2012, 13:34
I assume you guys are doing a "field strip" and not a "detail strip". This may cause excessive pin wear.............On the Glocks that I carry the slide gets a complete strip after each shooting session.
The lowers get detail stripped once a year,my Glocks always go Bang when needed. SJ 40

scccdoc
11-12-2012, 14:49
On the Glocks that I carry the slide gets a complete strip after each shooting session.
The lowers get detail stripped once a year,my Glocks always go Bang when needed. SJ 40

One shot, man you're good!...........................

SCmasterblaster
11-12-2012, 15:23
I clean my G17 CCW pistol right away.

SJ 40
11-12-2012, 15:50
On the Glocks that I carry the slide gets a complete strip after each shooting session.

One shot, man you're good!...........................My shooting sessions are usually 150-300 rounds otherwise whats the use. SJ 40

smokin762
11-12-2012, 16:47
I clean my Glocks as I clean any of my other handguns. I clean them between 500-1,000 rounds. When I shoot lead, I clean them after my trip to the range or before the next trip to the range.

As for my CCW guns, after every trip to the range. This gives me a chance to clean and inspect it, before carrying it again. It gives me a slight piece of mind.

kfive
11-12-2012, 17:51
clean after the range....gives me something to do. "I love the smell of Hoppe's in the moring" forget what movie that was from!!!!!

smokin762
11-12-2012, 18:21
clean after the range....gives me something to do. "I love the smell of Hoppe's in the moring" forget what movie that was from!!!!!

:whistling:

Apocalypse Now - I love the smell of Napalm in the morning - YouTube

sappyg
11-12-2012, 20:51
I'm probably going to clean mine after a few more rounds. A box of bullets at the range does not mean it's dirty. To me :whistling:

WinterWizard
11-13-2012, 01:14
I field strip and clean after every range visit, almost always same day. I detail strip the slide and clean about every 500 rounds or so. I never detail strip and clean the lower frame. I simply believe there is no need to do so, unless you feel the need to widen your retaining pin holes. Everything that needs to be cleaned in the lower frame is right in front of you and in plain sight when you separate the slide from the frame. If you want to clean the guts of the lower frame out, I simply blast it out with non-chlorinated brake clean or a similar cleaner.

skeeter7
11-13-2012, 04:37
If I have time I usually clean right when I get home from the range. If I can't do that, then I will usually do it on my next day off.

scccdoc
11-13-2012, 08:04
[quote=scccdoc;19623578]My shooting sessions are usually 150-300 rounds otherwise whats the use. SJ 40

Yeah, practice, practice, practice. I shoot about 800 rds/ month...............................

Wizz
11-13-2012, 09:38
Like mentioned inspection is more important than cleaning. I clean my carry Glock every thousand rounds or so even though it doesn't need it. An indoor range I used to go to cleaned their rental Glocks every 10K rounds with zero issues.

WinterWizard
11-15-2012, 01:36
Like mentioned inspection is more important than cleaning. I clean my carry Glock every thousand rounds or so even though it doesn't need it. An indoor range I used to go to cleaned their rental Glocks every 10K rounds with zero issues.

You carry a Glock that hasn't been cleaned in potentially 500-100 rounds? No offense, but that's pretty retarded. You kinda deserve to have your gun to jam on you when you need it most. Sorry to call a spade a spade, but that's just the way it is. :whistling:

sammyh312
11-15-2012, 08:10
old military habit i guess, but i pretty much have to clean my guns as soon as i get back. but...you really don't have to. With my G19, i just run a sink full of fairly hot, soapy water, field strip, then toothbrush everything real good then rinse. A little Tetra and breakfree and im done in like five minutes.

Simpleman71
11-15-2012, 10:08
Not needed, I will clean mine when I have time. I have a friend who has been shooting his g22 since buying new over a year ago and still hasn't cleaned it. Gun still shoots fine.

smokin762
11-15-2012, 15:23
You carry a Glock that hasn't been cleaned in potentially 500-100 rounds? No offense, but that's pretty retarded. You kinda deserve to have your gun to jam on you when you need it most. Sorry to call a spade a spade, but that's just the way it is. :whistling:

:rofl::rofl:According to your logic, a firearm is not reliable after 500 rounds.

If that was the case, we would be better off with a sling shot.

TexasPOff
11-16-2012, 02:25
:headscratch:....Your supposed to clean Glocks....:whistling: TXPO

TexasPOff
11-16-2012, 02:29

I guess every officer in my department is pretty retarded since we shoot at least a 100 rounds during our quals and tac shoots. When finished quite a few of us put our pistols, Glocks, XDs, Browning HPs, M&Ps, Sigs,1911, etc, etc(without cleaning) in holsters and go back on the street. :faint: Personally it's never bothered me one bit, especially with my Glocks. TXPO....

Wow think about all those guys in the military that have to stop in the middle of a firefight to clean their rifles after 500-600 rounds. :)

yrbender
11-16-2012, 20:26
Strange. After I clean my gun I more concerned about function. I always want my CCW to have a few rounds through it to be sure it's functioning correctly.

unit1069
11-16-2012, 21:29
Wow think about all those guys in the military that have to stop in the middle of a firefight to clean their rifles after 500-600 rounds. :)

Did they go into harm's way with dirty weapons or clean weapons?

TexasPOff
11-16-2012, 22:18
Did they go into harm's way with dirty weapons or clean weapons?

Hopefully they went with functioning weapons, clean or dirty has no bearing...TXPO

Paul53
11-16-2012, 23:01
Also depends on what you clean with. Since switching to CLP it seems the crud just comes off a lot easier. Makes cleaning less urgent, less of a chore. Sometimes I'll just put a bore snake though it, sometimes do a field strip to clean any and all crud. Glock was designed as a combat weapon and I doubt I can do or not do anything to harm it.

drcohen
11-17-2012, 07:17
TIPS:
1) No matter what you use, do NOT mix different chemistries/technologies.
2) Strongly consider the C+LP philosophy like Mil-Comm TW25B grease / MC25 cleaner
3) Find something that works and stay with it. If you keep looking, you keep making the same mistake while expecting a different result

ADK_40GLKr
11-18-2012, 07:47
...it's pretty late, and I want to shower off the lead & powder residue before going to bed. So I leave my gun case and ammo bag (both locked closed) padlocked to the frame of my car trunk with a steel cable, inside a locked car in my closed garage which works on a door opener.

Next morning, I spread out my cleaning supplies and bring the guns in.

JuneyBooney
11-19-2012, 03:03
The only gun/guns I clean sooner rather than later would be a gun that I CCW or one I have shot black powder out of,other than that they will keep till I get the time to clean them.
A firearm shot with smokeless powder and non mercuric priming is not going to rust if not cleaned immediately. SJ 40

I agree. An example of this is the FN 5.7 which recommends cleaning at 500 round intervals. You can wipe the firearm off if you like and wait until later.

Gallium
11-19-2012, 05:03
I clean my Glocks whenever I let my democratic associates shoot them.

Ryobi
11-19-2012, 05:49
It's a good practice. But with glocks and modern ammo, not required. I usually clean my Glocks as soon as I get home from the range, but I was just wondering if its really necessary to clean them right away???...i mean can the ammo corrode the inside of the barrel?

Slobo
11-19-2012, 16:00
I clean as soon as I return home, too. I think a lot of people do ... and a lot don't. Seems, IMO, to be a personal thing. I like to clean and get it done without letting things sit. I don't think it's imperative you do so, I just like my guns clean.

What he said. Get 'er done.

cookselk
11-19-2012, 16:11
Clean????? Winter is coming, I'll clean them when the snow flies.

rockapede
11-22-2012, 21:38
I clean all my semi-automatic firearms (with the exception of my 11-87) every 500 rounds. I keep a log. That includes Glocks, Beretta Nano, and AR15s. These are guns that I have proven through extensive shooting. I know what they can do. I clean much more often than is really necessary for reliable function but it gives me piece of mind. Exceptions, obviously, are made for high round days and classes. Even then, I've never had a malfunction related to a dirty gun.

The 11-87, though....that sucker hates dirt. It needs to be cleaned every 100 rounds or so.

bikerdog
11-22-2012, 22:06
The only time you need to clean you're gun's right away is when you use corrosive ammo or black powder. The rest of the time clean then when you can. But dont kill your self to clean them right after shooting.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Gallium
11-23-2012, 05:34

Well at least know we know exactly who the real idiot is!

Thanks! :cool::supergrin:

bac1023
11-23-2012, 08:09
I clean all my guns after each range trip.

Darkangel1846
11-23-2012, 08:50
Heck there are guys that never clean their glocks, guys that just put them in the dishwasher once a month, other guys clean after every use. I am a former Mil. guy and I have a tendency to clean my handguns and rifles after every outing......but Glocks and my ceramic coated AR I clean when I feel like it.

MJB
11-23-2012, 11:44
I clean all my guns after each range trip.

I agree with Bac.

It takes very little time and effort so I don't put it off.