Remodeling bathroom advice needed... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Remodeling bathroom advice needed...

XDRoX
11-11-2012, 16:31
The bathroom is gutted. I'm about to drywall with the green board from home depot.

I don't how what I'm going to eventually do to the shower walls but I want to keep my options open. I'm either going to tile it with 4" or 6" white smooth tiles or travertine it. Or maybe some type of other natural stone.

Please tell me what is the best way to do this.

Option 1:
Green board the whole bathroom and tile over the green board in the shower.

Option 2:
Green board everything except the shower. Use hardy backer board in the shower and tile over it.

Option 3:
Green board the entire bathroom and then hardy backer over the green board in the shower and then tile over it.

Or is there a better way I should do it?

Thanks

jpa
11-11-2012, 16:33
someone else just had a bathroom thread going recently. Check it out here. Lots of good ideas and input.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1451004&highlight=bathroom

stevemc
11-11-2012, 17:09
No help on the wall finish, but I can recommend adding some speakers and a music distribution system. I also have outdoor speakers on the house by the deck and control the music using the remote app on the IPOD. We use it daily and was well worth the $700 or so for the equipment. I would get the 8" speakers and also a heat lamp with a timer for near the shower. Sorry I just added about $1500 to your project but you will be glad you did it. Now's the time.

Unlocked
11-11-2012, 17:19
Tile directly on greenboard is a no no. You should either put up backerboard and tile in the shower or if you put up greenboard now you can cover with backerboard when and if you choose to tile.

If you know you are definitely going to put up tile it would be best to just put up backerboard in the shower now and skip the greenboard.

Adjuster
11-11-2012, 17:19
Regular drywall the bathroom. Hardi board/cement board the shower/tub enclosure only. If you go with a natural stone in the shower make sure it is a polished stone. Not rough cut travertine for instance. Install a regular wall shower head and a ceiling mount rain shower head with a diverter valve. If your bathroom is big enough build a shower that does not require any shower doors or curtains. Your shower heads will have to be set back and angled far enough that water wont splash outside the shower area(this requires a very large shower).

/

XDRoX
11-11-2012, 17:31
Thanks guys.
I appreciate it.

kiole
11-11-2012, 17:32
You should use a waterproofing membrane in the shower area.

mortpes
11-11-2012, 20:18
Use cement water proof for shower or wet areas. Float smooth and tile over. Run the rubber a foot up behind the cement board.