Trap ammo for 12 gauge [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Trap ammo for 12 gauge

Kentguy
11-11-2012, 17:35
Greetings everyone,

This past summer my son and I started shooting trap and our local range. Now I haven't done this since I was a kid (about the time the last dinosaurs were dying off) :whistling:

Anyway I have a 12 gauge Winchester model 1300, something like this;

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/historic-detail.asp?family=012C&mid=512037

I was wondering what ammo would recommend for a couple of guys who are just starting out. We have been using Federal "Target Load" 12 gauge - 2 3/4 Dram Eq. - 1 1/8 oz. shot - 8 shot.

Now this stuff seems to work just fine - It's my aim that is rather rusty! Do you folks have any other recommendation for ammo that you prefer?

Let me know... thanks

jr05
11-11-2012, 19:45
I really enjoy Remington Gun clubs. Keep an eye out at Dick's Sporting Goods or similar and you should be able to get them for under $5 per box.

Nothing wrong with the Federal Top Guns either, I have used a lot of those as well.

I would say shoot whatever is cheap. Practice is going to do a lot more good than ammo. As long as your gun feeds it, it is good to go. Enjoy the new addiction. You should give skeet a try if you have that in your area as well.

dkf
11-11-2012, 20:05
What you are using will work. Experimenting with chokes is a good idea also. Back when I was shooting a lot of trap I loaded my own with 1 1/8oz of of 7 1/2 shot.

Pimp gun
11-11-2012, 20:11
Since your starting out shoot the cheap stuff and most of the time the clubs have some of the best prices. I watch the adds and buy when it's on sale and bulk 5 to 6 dollars a box around here

GIockGuy24
11-11-2012, 21:39
Where I used to shoot, they sold #9 shot, "Trap and Skeet" loads. They also sold #8 shot, "Dove and Quail" loads for much less money and that was all I used.

collim1
11-12-2012, 05:22
The last shoot I went to I shot Rio 7.5's. Several people were shooting my 1187 20g and it got 500+ rds through it and the gun cycled great with the Rio. They are clean and have good rims for good ejection.

If I couldn't have Rio I'd shoot Winchester AA's. I gave up cheap shotshells a long time ago. Inconsistent patterns, dirty and ejection/cycling problems.

I buy the Rio by the case at a local shop for $5 a box.

Cheap shells can choke a pump as well.

shyguy
11-12-2012, 10:26
Hi Kentguy
The single most important thing with a shotgun is to make sure the gun fits you. Shotguns lack a rear sight; it is the fit of the gun to the shooter that becomes the rear sight. Once you have a good stock fit, misses are mostly on the shooter (more shooting practice). Ammunition has a relatively minor effect. If you don't get a good gun fit, the shotgun will not hit where you are pointing it and no amount of practice will fix that. I would buy the ammunition with the best price, given it has the right shot size (Most clay shooting sports ranges specify the largest permitted shot size).

Kentguy
11-12-2012, 12:37
ShyGuy,

Thanks good advice. :thumbsup:

SCmasterblaster
11-14-2012, 08:52
Is no. 8 shot 12 gauge.

Kentguy
11-14-2012, 12:11
SCmasterblaster,
Yes you can get 8 shot in 12 gauge, right now I am using Federal brand "Target Load" 8 shot shells.

From what I gather from reading and asking other shooters you can shoot Trap with anything from 7 1/2 to 9 shot loads. I bought some 8 shot because it was in the mid range not because it was preferred by those who shoot Trap all the time.

SCmasterblaster
11-14-2012, 13:39
SCmasterblaster,
Yes you can get 8 shot in 12 gauge, right now I am using Federal brand "Target Load" 8 shot shells.

From what I gather from reading and asking other shooters you can shoot Trap with anything from 7 1/2 to 9 shot loads. I bought some 8 shot because it was in the mid range not because it was preferred by those who shoot Trap all the time.

I shoot trap every Thursday in the VT non-winter months (6 months).

Kentguy
11-15-2012, 07:38
SCmasterblaster... "Is no. 8 shot 12 gauge."

Sorry I must have misunderstood your question/comment.

What brand/type of shell were you using?

SCmasterblaster
11-15-2012, 15:59
SCmasterblaster... "Is no. 8 shot 12 gauge."

Sorry I must have misunderstood your question/comment.

What brand/type of shell were you using?

Federal, for sure. And I use a full choke in my Mossberg M500 for trap shooting.