Gen 4 26 at the range [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Gen 4 26 at the range

sloot
11-11-2012, 16:42
Just picked it up Friday and took it to the range this afternoon. Debated between the 27 and 26, but I think I like the 26.

Fired 50 rounds of Federal 115, 150 rounds of Blazer Brass 115, and 40 rounds of Speer Gold Dot 124 +P. Gun ran great. No problems, no brass to the face, etc. Pretty pleased. I don't shoot it as well as my Gen 4 23 yet, but a little more trigger time and I'm sure I will. Couldn't figure out what I wanted to do with my pinky....I just need to pick something and get used to it

so this one is another good gen 4 gun. At least as of now

ithaca_deerslayer
11-11-2012, 16:46
My pinky curls under the grip.
Same as with my PM9 :)
Same as with my PPK :)
Same as with my 642 :)

I have 1 mag with a pinky extension baseplate, that I don't use myself. When I instruct newbies, I let them try the 26 both ways so they can decide on their own.

sloot
11-11-2012, 17:10
My pinky curls under the grip.
Same as with my PM9 :)
Same as with my PPK :)
Same as with my 642 :)

I have 1 mag with a pinky extension baseplate, that I don't use myself. When I instruct newbies, I let them try the 26 both ways so they can decide on their own.

That's how I shoot my LCR, and that's how it felt best shooting the 26. Not sure why I was trying other ways. Probably just because it's new

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

JerryVO
11-11-2012, 17:22
Get a pair of GAP floor plates. It does not add any size to the gun and they naturally make your pinky want to squeeze up on the floorplate

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Beanie-Bean
11-11-2012, 17:32
Congrats! I had to learn how to shoot smaller-gripped pistols, and once I had the grip down with just the middle and ring fingers on the strong hand, the pinky just naturally went underneath the magazine floorplate.

Police305
11-11-2012, 17:57
The extended grips for the G26/27 feel great, you should give em' a try!

ithaca_deerslayer
11-11-2012, 18:53
That's how I shoot my LCR, and that's how it felt best shooting the 26. Not sure why I was trying other ways. Probably just because it's new

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Oh, I almost forgot, I curl pinky under with the LCP too :)

Nothing wrong with trying different ways. Whatever works for you is right.

MNBud
11-12-2012, 07:09
I have always put grip extensions on my mags but I have always wondered what it would do to your pinky finger in the event of a magazine blowing out the bottom of your gun due to a catastrophic event. I only shoot my own reloads so this wouldn't be a concern with my ammo. I simply feel like I have more control with all my fingers wrapped around the grip.

ithaca_deerslayer
11-12-2012, 08:55
I simply feel like I have more control with all my fingers wrapped around the grip.

That's no doubt true. I shoot my Glock 17 better than my Glock 26. But smaller size is the reason for a shorter grip.

It's all pluses and minuses. Can't gain something without losing something, just a matter of finding the right tradeoff for our needs :)

Bruce M
11-12-2012, 13:00
Good to hear your G26 is good so far. You might want to leave at least one magazine stock and use it for a bit. It may be easier to conceal and some here report shooting the G26 more accurately than the bigger 9mm models.

bac1023
11-12-2012, 16:41
Glad to hear

Congrats! :cool:

snowbird.40
11-12-2012, 20:59
I use all the options with my Gen 4 Model 26 ... stock base plate for deep cover, GAP base plate for AIWB with my Galco Second Amendment with shirt tales tucked, a Glock + base plate with the Galco when I'm wearing a shirt untucked and soon a G19 magazine with an X-grip adapter when I'm shooting IDPA matches or on the nightstand.

That's the beauty of a G26, you can have it absolutely the way you like it best, PLUS, it's probably going to be more accurate than larger Glocks due to a number of factors spelled out in the Harris Publication Complete Book of Handguns released last spring and edited by Massad Ayoob ... well worth the read and available at Barnes & Noble last time I checked in August.

ithaca_deerslayer
11-12-2012, 21:30
That's the beauty of a G26, you can have it absolutely the way you like it best, PLUS, it's probably going to be more accurate than larger Glocks due to a number of factors spelled out in the Harris Publication Complete Book of Handguns released last spring and edited by Massad Ayoob ... well worth the read and available at Barnes & Noble last time I checked in August.
Come on, do you really believe that more accurate stuff? I like his writings, but I think he is off his rocker there :)

Some slightest theoretical gain. But real world shorter sight radius and shorter grip, making it less accurate in any experienced shooter's hands. But the myth persists, especially when some newbies shoot it better than a fullsize because of their faults not being magnified by the shorter grip. And they and others bring up that Massad Ayoob theory. Problem is, they aren't even shooting anywhere near 4" groups at 25 yards, and the guns, big and small, are capable of 2" groups. So some supposed accuracy advantage explains none of why they can't hit the broadside of a barn with a 17 but can shoot a 12" group with a 26 :rofl:

I know he reads and posts on GT, so he must get a chuckle over this all :)