Giving a "CT Pistol Permit" howto speech tomorrow.... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Giving a "CT Pistol Permit" howto speech tomorrow....

mikeflys1
11-11-2012, 20:43
Im taking a communications class and have to give an informative speech, so I figured "why not?" I'll be giving a speech on whats needed to get a pistol permit in this state.

Teacher is a card carrying superliberal...
CCSU made the news over a similar student speech before...
Im somewhat"militant" looking...

Any Connecticut GT'ers available tomorrow night to help me clean off the tar and feathers?

Scott3670
11-11-2012, 20:45
I can't wait to see how this turns out. Best of luck to you, and I mean that with the utmost respect.

unit1069
11-11-2012, 20:48
You might start off by pointing out that America's Founding Fathers trusted citizens with the right to keep and bear arms, in contrast to every country ruled by kings, tyrants, and oligarchies. That trust of the common citizen embodies the greatness of America as envisioned by the incredible leaders and patriots who created this nation.

That idea still stands today, although it will surely come under intense media/political attack in the next four years.

ithaca_deerslayer
11-11-2012, 20:54
Good luck.

Try my favorite line that if we didn't have guns Canada would invade us tomorrow.

Detectorist
11-11-2012, 20:54
Don't do it.

Long time ago I earned a degree in Humanities. The Humanities department was full of touchy feely professors. There were many times that I was discriminated against due to being conservative and my grades also suffered.

Pick a more neutral subject. Professors have too much power over your future.

mikeflys1
11-11-2012, 20:57
I can't wait to see how this turns out. Best of luck to you, and I mean that with the utmost respect.

Thank you, sir :wavey: Will report back tomorrow.

You might start off by pointing out that America's Founding Fathers trusted citizens with the right to keep and bear arms, in contrast to every country ruled by kings, tyrants, and oligarchies. That trust of the common citizen embodies the greatness of America as envisioned by the incredible leaders and patriots who created this nation.

That idea still stands today, although it will surely come under intense media/political attack in the next four years.

I agree, but that's going to be outside the scope of this speech. Its supposed to be more informative than persuasive so I'm just sticking to outlining the permit procedure.

ithaca_deerslayer
11-11-2012, 20:59
Don't do it.

Long time ago i earned a degree in Humanities. The Humanities department was full of touchy feely professors. There were many times that I was discriminated against due to being conservative and my grades also suffered.

I say go full throttle in their face. Make them grade you. Of course you gotta be confident in your work to do that.

Had a gender studies woman prof tell me every man's a potential rapist. I told her every woman is a potential murderer.

This was in a class room :)

mikeflys1
11-11-2012, 21:03
Don't do it.

Long time ago i earned a degree in Humanities. The Humanities department was full of touchy feely professors. There were many times that I was discriminated against due to being conservative and my grades also suffered.

Its basically the last gen-ed class I need to take, and I'm in all engineering classes otherwise. The engineering dept. is far less liberal so I'm not too worried about those professors.

TK-421
11-11-2012, 21:04
I have to do a similar thing, but mine is basically a written how-to guide, I don't have to give a report. I'm doing mine on the proper use of a gun range. Fortunately my teacher is on board with it and loves the idea.

Hope your report goes well, and you don't get too many dirty looks for mentioning the "G" word in school. :rofl:

HollowHead
11-11-2012, 21:10
As someone who has taught public speaking at the college level, if the assignment is "informative" that means no opinion insertion whatsoever. Give the presentation as if you were a cop teaching the pistol permit class. No history, no opinion, no agenda...just tell what the form asks and what the process is with absolutely no injection of your feelings on any of it. Save that for the persuasive speech assignment. HH

Edited to add: The best way to have a bitter college experience is to go out of your way to piss of a professor. The good ones will grade you favorably if you do the assignment to the letter even if they disagree.

mikeflys1
11-11-2012, 21:15
As someone who has taught public speaking at the college level, if the assignment is "informative" that means no opinion insertion whatsoever. Give the presentation as if you were a cop teaching the pistol permit class. No history, no opinion, no agenda...just tell what the form asks and what the process is with absolutely no injection of your feelings on any of it. Save that for the persuasive speech assignment. HH

Edited to add: The best way to have a bitter college experience is to go out of your way to piss of a professor. The good ones will grade you favorably if you do the assignment to the letter even if they disagree.

Yea, thats exactly what I'm doing. Just a these are the requirements, this is the procedure, this is what to expect (wait times and such), and a basic rundown of what you can do with the permit.

ithaca_deerslayer
11-11-2012, 21:20
Give the presentation as if you were a cop teaching the pistol permit class. No history, no opinion, no agenda...just tell what the form asks and what the process is with absolutely no injection of your feelings.
Good advice, but bad example. You've obviously never seen a cop teach a pistol class :rofl:

HollowHead
11-11-2012, 21:52
Good advice, but bad example. You've obviouly never seen a cop teach a pistol class :rofl:

Our Basic Pistol class was professionally conducted by a retired CHP officer. He at least waited until lunch breaks to berate those of us who brought Glocks and did so in private.
Those of us who put holes in paper properly with our plastic "Kraut Crap" and demonstrated all other requirements safely passed and were annointed by "Big Tim" from the San Bernardio motor unit and his Model 29. He simply hated autos and made no secret of it yet never held it against anyone born after 1960 who felt differently. Make your professor say the equivalent of, "I hate your gun but you shoot it well." HH

janice6
11-11-2012, 21:53
When I had to give mine, I chose to explain in detail, the process of how to rebuild a Quadra-jet four bbl carburetor. I was flattered that one person said he thought he could actually do it. Little do they know.

Good luck with your presentation.

mikeflys1
11-11-2012, 21:53
Good luck.

Try my favorite line that if we didn't have guns Canada would invade us tomorrow.

I don't know how I missed this one.

If we don't have guns, then the floppy-headed Canadians win! :rofl:

FPS
11-11-2012, 21:55
You're a pastafarian. How can you be militant looking?

mikeflys1
11-11-2012, 22:00
You're a pastafarian. How can you be militant looking?

I'm an MRE penne pasta kind of pastafarian, I guess.

DTLarson
11-11-2012, 22:03
I went to CCSU, recently graduated, and still live in the area. It has been my experience on this campus that opposing views are pretty well tolerated by professors and actually encouraged. I was in an advanced level Anthropology class with a very left leaning professor and she knew I am pretty conservative. She asked for my opinions in class to facilitate discussion and liked that it caused other students and herself to defend their positions.

mikeflys1
11-11-2012, 22:13
I went to CCSU, recently graduated, and still live in the area. It has been my experience on this campus that opposing views are pretty well tolerated by professors and actually encouraged. I was in an advanced level Anthropology class with a very left leaning professor and she knew I am pretty conservative. She asked for my opinions in class to facilitate discussion and liked that it caused other students and herself to defend their positions.

Very cool :wavey:

My girlfriend is an anthropology major and is finishing up her thesis and graduating this semester. She's pretty conservative as well and actually doing her thesis on gun culture in the colonial era. I know she's ruffled a few feathers in that department but overall they've been great to her.

DTLarson
11-11-2012, 22:23
Very cool :wavey:

My girlfriend is an anthropology major and is finishing up her thesis and graduating this semester. She's pretty conservative as well and actually doing her thesis on gun culture in the colonial era. I know she's ruffled a few feathers in that department but overall they've been great to her.

Maybe Adjunct Professor Michael Bellesiles could help her with the thesis. hahaha.

HollowHead
11-11-2012, 22:52
Is Dr. David Monti still there? We took finite dissertation research together at NYU. Good man and scholar. HH

harlenm
11-12-2012, 01:19
I did a research paper at Sacred Heart that was gun related with a very liberal teacher and he was fascinated by the statistics i provided. I went way overboard on the assignment, something like 75 pages when only 15 were required, and got an A. Not all liberal professors are the same.

Good luck and keep us posted.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

czsmithGT
11-12-2012, 01:42
Be sure to explain what they will be able to do while wearing camo and open carrying their 45 autos while chowing down in a Taco Bell once they get theit permits. Might want to leave out the part about hunting cows though. :)

Bruce M
11-12-2012, 07:38
Be sure to explain what they will be able to do while wearing camo and open carrying their 45 autos while chowing down in a Taco Bell once they get theit permits. Might want to leave out the part about hunting cows though. :)
:rofl::rofl:

VC-Racing
11-12-2012, 10:11
Tagged for outcome

greatwun
11-12-2012, 10:41
Good luck. I did this back in 2010 for my communications class except it was "how Ccw can reduce crime rates". Professor was also a super liberal and told me every single piece of information had to be cited as well as printed out and handed to him. Got an A on that speech.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

mikeflys1
11-12-2012, 18:41
So today was the big day.

I probably won't have a grade back on it for another week or so but the teacher seemed pretty receptive and didn't show any obvious disapproval. All in all I was pretty happy with my speech and think I did well, though.

I also talked to another student afterwards who was pretty interested in getting his permit so maybe a future GTer there.

Kinda anticlimactic outcome :rofl:

ICARRY2
11-14-2012, 15:24
Good for you.

I did a 15 page research paper in the history if the 2A. It was a required class on women, power and politics. Instructor was rabidly liberal and feminist. She hated me from the very first day.

She asked the class a question about issues regardeing women. This was just after 9-11 and so I volunteered an answer about womem in combat. By the end of the first class she said I would probably refuse to fly on a commercial airliner if I knew the pilot was a female.

As luck would have it I went out of town with a buddy a month later. On the flight home, both the pilot and co-pilot were female.

I made sure to let the instructor know I wasnt scared. Not one bit.

I also got an A on the paper and in the class.