I'm ok [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I'm ok

Mrs. VR
11-11-2012, 20:44
The car is ok.

The deer is definitely NOT OK. :scared:

I made it 26 years of driving without killing anything. Oh well, it was a good streak. :sigh:

Magnus2131
11-11-2012, 20:45
Making jerky? Glad you are ok.

Patchman
11-11-2012, 20:49
Oh deer, I'm glad your OK. You seem to have more adventures than Eurodriver. :whistling:

prism
11-11-2012, 20:49
glad you're ok.

are there some nice deerskin driving gloves in your future?

Scott3670
11-11-2012, 20:51
Would I get banned if I said, "pics or it didn't happen"?

Seriously, glad to hear that you're ok.

ithaca_deerslayer
11-11-2012, 20:52
Well at least you didn't let that one go by and wait for a much bigger buck to smash into :)

Berto
11-11-2012, 20:52
Deerfoam slippers, Baby!!

Mrs. VR
11-11-2012, 21:11
It was a small doe and I was going pretty slow, it was on a dark windy road. I had seen the mama and siblings, so I was slowing down even more, but it still flew up and rolled a bunch, tried to get up, and then...did not. I called it in, they said to go on home and they'd send someone out to errr, dispose of it, I guess.

On the way home, MORE deer ran in front of me. It makes me so mad at the idiots who oppose managed hunts around here.

We live in a pretty urban area, and the deer are just beyond overpopulated, and a serious hazard/nuisance.

Re: venison, etc...I'm not gonna lie, I pulled over to a safe area in front of where it landed to call/check car, and it was pitch dark out. I didn't go back and look at it. I sure as HECK wasn't gonna touch it.

Kingarthurhk
11-11-2012, 21:24
I am glad you and your vehicle are okay. Around here, they typically give you the option of keeping it. But, I am not sure what the options are where you are at. Some places have it processed and donated to charity. Either way, I am sure it won't go to waste.

Atlas
11-11-2012, 21:32
This time of year they have only one thing on their mind...
and it ain't you and your evening drive.

Mrs. VR
11-11-2012, 21:42
I am glad you and your vehicle are okay. Around here, they typically give you the option of keeping it. But, I am not sure what the options are where you are at. Some places have it processed and donated to charity. Either way, I am sure it won't go to waste.
I am close to 100% sure they don't here. In fact, knowing where we live, it's probably illegal :upeyes:

Mrs. VR
11-11-2012, 21:56
I knew it:

Here in Maryland, if you want to take home a deer you killed with your vehicle, you first must obtain a proper tag and have that filled out before moving the animal.

El_Ron1
11-11-2012, 22:03
It was you or the giant rodent, Mrs. V. You did what you had to do and made it home.

Mrs. VR
11-11-2012, 22:18
It was you or the giant rodent, Mrs. V. You did what you had to do and made it home.
Yeah, honestly, I'm rattled but not as bad as id have expected. I did everything right, and it probably helped that there was no car damage. I mean, I'm sorry it was in pain, but I honestly don't think I'm going to lose much sleep over it.

I must be getting jaded or something.

Folsom_Prison
11-11-2012, 22:24
Glad your okay! But tag a deer you hit with your damn car? Wtf!

Mrs. VR
11-11-2012, 23:06
Maryland. Thats all I got to say.

Ohio Copper
11-11-2012, 23:10
I've wasted 14 good Winchester ranger .40 rounds on those suckers in the last few months. Seems like we get one every two or three shifts here. They are very densely overpopulated.

Glad you're ok.

I cannot reiterate enough to drive THROUGH whatever it is (humans excluded) that is running in front of you. Much more damage is caused by trying to swerve.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Ohio Copper
11-11-2012, 23:11
I knew it:

Here in Maryland, if you want to take home a deer you killed with your vehicle, you first must obtain a proper tag and have that filled out before moving the animal.

Thatd be a monumental waste of time here. We give it to whoever comes by first or we have a huge list of folks to call.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Kelo6
11-11-2012, 23:13
You should call the local government and ask them to move the deer-crossing signs. :whistling:

Please Move The Deer Crossing - YouTube

:rofl:

Seriously, though. Glad you're okay. My dad hit the back end of a dark-colored cow early on a foggy morning and I was so thankful he wasn't injured. The car needed a new windshield, though...

Trapped_in_Kali
11-11-2012, 23:15
Any time a "Forrest Rat" dies is a good time!
Glad your okay!

gwalchmai
11-12-2012, 05:00
Glad you're OK. The first-world suburban deer problem (and we have a 12-strong herd in our subdivision) is a very good example of what happens when humans forget that we're just one part of an ecosystem. It's not something you hear about in redneckville...

deputy tom
11-12-2012, 05:45
I'm glad that you were not injured.tom.:wavey:

engineer151515
11-12-2012, 05:47
I've had one or two on the roadside give me a blank look whilst I roared by on the motorcycle. In southern Alabama, they leap out from nowhere.

<<< was half-praying "don't jump, don't jump, don't jump"

I am very glad you are OK.

lethal tupperwa
11-12-2012, 05:52
Your aim is improving"O)

eruby
11-12-2012, 05:57

People's Republic of Maryland. Thats all I got to say.Fixed it for ya.

Very glad you are okay!

cangler
11-12-2012, 05:59
You should call the local government and ask them to move the deer-crossing signs. :whistling:

Please Move The Deer Crossing - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CI8UPHMzZm8&feature=player_detailpage)

This can't be real.... she has to be trolling, or the whole thing is rigged.

Tvov
11-12-2012, 06:09
I keep listening to this, knowing that it HAS to be fake... but I guess it isn't. Everyone has people like that around them. Yes, they walk among us!

Please Move The Deer Crossing - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CI8UPHMzZm8&feature=player_detailpage)

:rofl:

Seriously, though. Glad you're okay. My dad hit the back end of a dark-colored cow early on a foggy morning and I was so thankful he wasn't injured. The car needed a new windshield, though...

cangler
11-12-2012, 06:14
I'm going to believe it's scripted, because the way she suggests to move the signs near school crossings, as if she wants the kids and the deer to hold hands and carefully cross the street together. I just can't believe it, I refuse!

Kingarthurhk
11-12-2012, 06:49
Any time a "Forrest Rat" dies is a good time!
Glad your okay!

A forest rat would be a squirrel.

Bruce M
11-12-2012, 06:50
Good to hear you are ok. Presumably it is well known that not everyone escapes a deer/vehicle crash without injuries.

ithaca_deerslayer
11-12-2012, 09:19

Here is the follow up call
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=JB1yEcdomt0&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DJB1yEcdomt0

What I'd like to know is by what mechanism did she think the deer were following the directions of the sign?

frizz
11-12-2012, 09:45
A girlfriend from 20 years ago told me about a couple she knew who hit a deer while driving in a small car on a two-lane country road. The front of the car had minor damage, and the windshield was smashed. That was the extent of the damage to the car.

Just the car.

The buck came in the passenger compartment top first and smashed through the man's head, impaling it. The rump of the beast slammed into the woman's face and chest, killing her instantly via massive brain trauma from the impact's force.

EDIT: Forgot my main point. I'm glad that you were OK.

Mrs. VR
11-12-2012, 10:02
Yeeech. I feel very lucky.

janice6
11-12-2012, 10:07
I'm glad you're OK. It's one of those things that happens no matter how careful you are. It happens a lot in MN.

Many people I know have had the experience and it is jarring to know you had no control over what happened.

Just keep your eyes open and stay cautious. it's about all you can do. Some times $**t happens and you have no control. Crap happens to everyone.

Be safe.

HerrGlock
11-12-2012, 14:29
Oh well, it was a good streak. :sigh:

You were out streaking?

redbaron007
11-12-2012, 14:37
Glad you're Ok Mrs VR! Those critters can really do some damage, regardless of their size.

Although, that young little moving piece of venison would have made some great roasts/burger/jerky! :supergrin:

:wavey:

red

Jason D
11-12-2012, 17:00
The fact that you're ok is the only thing that matters Sharon.

tarpleyg
11-12-2012, 17:49
I keep listening to this, knowing that it HAS to be fake... but I guess it isn't. Everyone has people like that around them. Yes, they walk among us!

And who do you think she voted for?

byf43
11-12-2012, 18:09
I am close to 100% sure they don't here. In fact, knowing where we live, it's probably illegal :upeyes:

I knew it:

Ma'am,

Contact MSP and tell them that there is a Deer that you struck, and that you'd like to have a 'road tag' issued, so that you can legally claim the deer, for processing.

Here in Charles County, the MSP and also the sheriff's department keep a quantity of 'road kill tags' in their vehicles for just such calls.

IF you don't want the deer, contact MSP anyway. SHA will get the deer and have it processed (if not too badly damaged) and the meat will go to homeless shelters to feed the needy.

JMS
11-12-2012, 20:26
It was a small doe and I was going pretty slow, it was on a dark windy road. I had seen the mama and siblings, so I was slowing down even more, but it still flew up and rolled a bunch, tried to get up, and then...did not. I called it in, they said to go on home and they'd send someone out to errr, dispose of it, I guess.

On the way home, MORE deer ran in front of me. It makes me so mad at the idiots who oppose managed hunts around here.

We live in a pretty urban area, and the deer are just beyond overpopulated, and a serious hazard/nuisance.

Re: venison, etc...I'm not gonna lie, I pulled over to a safe area in front of where it landed to call/check car, and it was pitch dark out. I didn't go back and look at it. I sure as HECK wasn't gonna touch it.

Doe? A deer? A female deer?

itisbruno
11-12-2012, 21:20
Glad you are ok, too bad you didn't get to keep the free dog food, we can here.

What were you wearing when it happened??

:tbo:

Tvov
11-13-2012, 04:26
Doe? A deer? A female deer?

Ray? A drop of golden sun?

Mrs. VR
11-13-2012, 05:03
You were out streaking?
I can neither confirm nor deny.
The fact that you're ok is the only thing that matters Sharon.Thanks, :hugs:

Doe? A deer? A female deer?thank you, Homer, Marge, ET al.

Glad you are ok, too bad you didn't get to keep the free dog food, we can here.

What were you wearing when it happened??

:tbo:
A grimace. : tease:

I did call the police and they were going to do whatever needed done. Turns out they have been turning them into fertilizer around here.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/dead-deer-composted-to-fertilize-roadside-plantings-in-maryland/2012/10/23/b97ead1e-1d1e-11e2-b647-bb1668e64058_story.html