felt very alone going to dads grave today. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : felt very alone going to dads grave today.

dabigguns357
11-11-2012, 21:11
I left work early this afternoon and thought about calling dad,it being Veterans day and had to stop my self.I did the next best thing and went by his grave.

I have to admit I felt really alone knowing i'll never see him nor will he be there to watch my sons grow up like he did with me.:crying:

It's hard to believe it's been 6 weeks already.Anyway happy veterans day to all including my dad,whom I miss dearly.

Kingarthurhk
11-11-2012, 21:33
I left work early this afternoon and thought about calling dad,it being Veterans day and had to stop my self.I did the next best thing and went by his grave.

I have to admit I felt really alone knowing i'll never see him nor will he be there to watch my sons grow up like he did with me.:crying:

It's hard to believe it's been 6 weeks already.Anyway happy veterans day to all including my dad,whom I miss dearly.

I am sorry for your loss. I would like to offer you some consolation.

1 Thessalonians 4:13-18, "Brothers and sisters, we do not want you to be uninformed about those who sleep in death, so that you do not grieve like the rest of mankind, who have no hope. 14 For we believe that Jesus died and rose again, and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him. 15 According to the Lordís word, we tell you that we who are still alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will certainly not precede those who have fallen asleep. 16 For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. 17 After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever. 18 Therefore encourage one another with these words."

Michael Rye
11-11-2012, 21:56
My Dad died on December 9th last year. He was not only my father, but he was also the best friend I ever had, or ever will have. I miss him each and every day.

Hang in there. The ache will always be there, but the good memories and the laughs eventually get bigger than the pain. I know what you're going through.

Bomber Nav
11-11-2012, 21:56
dabigguns357:
Sorry to hear about you losing your Dad. I lost mine a few years back, so I understand what you are going through. Mine was part of "the greatest generation," a WWII US Navy vet who served in the Atlantic theater. We owe that generation so much...

Dwell on the pleasant memories and remember him fondly. Honor him by doing what would make him proud: raise good kids that love God, America, and family.

My best to you.

JW1178
11-11-2012, 22:01
That first holiday season is always the hardest.

Sneegrl
11-11-2012, 22:03

robin303
11-11-2012, 22:04
I also know what your going through. Buried my dad for xmas couple yrs back. Feel for you my friend.

dabigguns357
11-11-2012, 22:10
I think what makes it harder is that I always spent Veterans Day with him. Now there is just memories and a grave marker

HollowHead
11-11-2012, 22:20
Did you spend time and look at the other stones while you were there? Our local cemetary has two unique features: one, that there are a good number of those killed during WWII and Korea along with the normal passings and two: the forty or fifty killed on the same date in '43 when the mine blew. (Smith Mine, Bear Creek, Montana) HH

Detectorist
11-11-2012, 22:29

I know exactly how you feel. My Dad passed 5 years ago this week.

I still miss him. that's normal, though. I was fortunate to have him.

dabigguns357
11-11-2012, 22:31
Did you spend time and look at the other stones while you were there? Our local cemetary has two unique features: one, that there are a good number of those killed during WWII and Korea along with the normal passings and two: the forty or fifty killed on the same date in '43 when the mine blew. (Smith Mine, Bear Creek, Montana) HH

Where my dad is buried,it's normal with mostly family grave stones.I did see a few flags over some other graves as i passed them.

Hamilton Burger
11-11-2012, 23:56
My dad passed 13 years ago last month. He never got to meet his grandson, yet they are more alike than I can begin to describe. The last time we spoke was by phone. His grave is too far for me to visit regularly.

Michael Rye is right about the ache always being there, and also right about the good memories.

Turn it around. You can't be with your dad, but your boys can still be with you. Enjoy them while you have them, and spend that extra time making good memories for them.... after all, you won't be around forever either.... and I'll bet that's what he'd want you to do?

Pwhfirefighter
11-12-2012, 00:02

Sorry for your loss. I too lost my Dad about 2 months ago. It is a big change to adjust to I know. Couple weeks ago I kept looking at my phone on my birthday expecting my Dad to call as he always did. I know it is not easy, but as others have said, enjoy the rest of your family, and hold onto the memories you have of him.

Gills63
11-12-2012, 00:55
I lost my dad just over a year ago. Unexpectedly and at a young age. There are still days I shake my head in disbelief. I think losing him at a young age will benefit me as a father. Having two young sons of my own, hopefully they will regard me at my passing the same way I regard him. I guess my point is, their loss effects us so deeply because their life did as well.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

MDLibertarian
11-12-2012, 08:20
To the OP and all of the others who've posted whose dads are no longer with you, you have my sympathy since I lost my dad four years ago on Veterans Day. Like me, he was also an Air Force veteran, so I used to call him on Veterans Day and I still find it difficult knowing I'll never hear his voice again. I believe he knew he was dying when he called me three times the week he died when he usually only called once every other week. He died of congestive heart failure and I could hear in his voice he didn't sound good, but he wanted to reassure me he was feeling better. Unfortunately, he lived in AZ at the time and died alone with no family there for him since my parents divorced 18 years earlier and he had no contact with my three older siblings, but that was of his own doing (long story I won't go into).

BigBull 301
11-12-2012, 20:43
Sorry for your loss(es). It's be 40 years since I lost my father. He died at a very early age, he was only 40. It will get easier to deal with in time, lots and lots of time.
Hang in there.

Mac

samuse
11-12-2012, 23:10
It's rough.

I still have my dad, but I know it's gonna be hard on me when I lose him. No one understands me like my dad.

Losing my uncle (dad's brother) was hard five years ago and I still think about him every day.

I don't know what to say...

Psychman
11-13-2012, 04:48
God Bless you all.

Brucev
11-13-2012, 06:47

Just found this post. Know exactly what you are feeling. May your father rest in peace. And may you and your family find comfort in the midst of your loss.