Computer Wargames [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Computer Wargames

frizz
11-12-2012, 06:38
I may have asked, but...

Who likes them? I have been playing Battles from the Bulge, which has a really cool approach and interface. It is also "real-time" or more accurately, constant action. You do not take turns with your opponent because both of you are constantly maneuvering against each other.

So what's your preference?

CitizenOfDreams
11-12-2012, 06:39
Starcraft.

http://www.memeorigin.com/img/memes-where-is-your-god-now/245877halolz-dot-com-starcraft-siegetankrush.gif

RonS
11-12-2012, 06:47
http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Camo_Workshop/WW2/WW2_page.html

Still the king IMHO.

Viper16
11-12-2012, 06:51
Starcraft is still my favorite game...although the last Command and Conquer game I played was Tiberium Wars...and I thought that was fun.

Stompy
11-12-2012, 07:05
I was into the "Mother of All Games" for a very long tme. Its called Total Annihilation.

frizz
11-12-2012, 08:02
Another wargame that kicks the butt is The Operational Art of War. It is a traditional hex-grid, turn-based game, but there is a scenario maker and an active community. It is geared for "WWII" to "WW3" but there are well-ranked Civil War scenarios.

It can go from a small battle to an entire campaign. Actually, there is a Korean War simulation which starts just after the first US/UN involvement.

frizz
11-12-2012, 08:03
http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Camo_Workshop/WW2/WW2_page.html

Still the king IMHO.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/images/smilies/thumbs%20up.gif

Bookmarked for future reference.

frizz
11-12-2012, 08:13
There is a "Beer & Pretzels" game "Command HQ" that was a nifty continuous-action game. It came out in 1991 or so, but you can get it on download sites.

It was very simplified; to send an armor or infantry unit across the sea, you just gave it a destination, and it just automatically went to sea without any logistics involved.

On the other hand, you had an economy that let you produce whatever unit you wanted as the points got high enough. Infantry, tanks, air, subs, cruisers, and aircraft carriers.

May have been Beer and Pretzels, but it was less complicated than chess. Against a smart human opponent, it was a strong intellectual challenge.

Dragoon44
11-12-2012, 08:34
I may have asked, but...

Who likes them? I have been playing Battles from the Bulge, which has a really cool approach and interface. It is also "real-time" or more accurately, constant action. You do not take turns with your opponent because both of you are constantly maneuvering against each other.

So what's your preference?

Battle from the bulge" seriously?? is that based on the Battle OF the bulge?

or is that like "All you base are belong to us!"

:rofl:

frizz
11-12-2012, 08:43
Battle from the bulge" seriously?? is that based on the Battle OF the bulge?

or is that like "All you base are belong to us!"

Not at all.

Battles FROM the Bulge. (Note the plural battles.)

If you think about it, using formal military terminology, the "Battle of the Bulge" should be called a campaign. It was Hitler's campaign to seize the port in Antwerp. The campaign, just as any campaign, was made up of many different battles at different times and in different locations.

If I recall, you were/are a lawyer. Think of how the laymen use the term hearsay.

Dragoon44
11-12-2012, 08:46
Not at all.

Battles FROM the Bulge. (Note the plural battles.)

If you think about it, using formal military terminology, the "Battle of the Bulge" should be called a campaign. It was Hitler's campaign to seize the port in Antwerp. The campaign, just as any campaign, was made up of many different battles at different times and in different locations.

If I recall, you were/are a lawyer. Think of how the laymen use the term hearsay.

They don't call it campaign of the bulge because people would think it was some kind of weight loss software by Richard Simmons.

frizz
11-12-2012, 08:59
They don't call it campaign of the bulge because people would think it was some kind of weight loss software by Richard Simmons.

They didn't have Richard Simmons back in WWII, silly man. :supergrin:

If we did, the government would have recruited him to go into Nazi Germany and "recruit" German soldiers to be gay and wreck the Wehrmacht!

But seriously, do you get my comparison between "battle" and "hearsay" as they relate to military profession and the legal profession?

And are/were you a lawyer? I seem to remember that...

dherloc
11-12-2012, 09:33
War in the Pacific - Admirals Edition

PBEM turn based game in the Pacific Theater during WW2. 1 day = 1 turn. My opponent and I have been playing for about 5 years or so...maybe more since we played the initial game WitP also.

You control every ship, plane and unit in that theater. It is NOT for the faint of heart due to the time committment as well as the attention to detail that is required.

But...it is the ultimate WW2 game out there right now.

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/351/details/War.in.the.Pacific.-.Admiral's.Edition

Mr Spock
11-12-2012, 09:37
Tagged.

frizz
11-12-2012, 11:41
War in the Pacific - Admirals Edition

PBEM turn based game in the Pacific Theater during WW2. 1 day = 1 turn. My opponent and I have been playing for about 5 years or so...maybe more since we played the initial game WitP also.

You control every ship, plane and unit in that theater. It is NOT for the faint of heart due to the time committment as well as the attention to detail that is required.

But...it is the ultimate WW2 game out there right now.

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/351/details/War.in.the.Pacific.-.Admiral's.Edition

Thanks for the mini-review!

I have read really good things about this, and now I'm even more tempted. If I didn't have the Operational Art of War and Battles from the Bulge holding my interest, I'd likely grab it.

I do have one minor objection: controlling every unit. As you have probably observed, controlling a bajillion units can get overwhelming. But that is a matter of taste.

In BotB, the coolest feature is giving a command to the commander of, say a battalion, and letting him(via the Artificial Intelligence) control the subordinate line companies and support platoons.

You can also add mech. infantry companies to an armored battalion, and you have a combined force that will be more effective for a chosen area's terrain. Or maybe you'll want to mix armor with light infantry. There is a lot of flexibility. You can even create a task force of only two companies if the job calls for it.

There is a working demo on the matrix.com website that runs the tutorial scenario. You can "try before you buy" and be confident that you like the game first. In addition to learning the ropes, you can have a ball with this just by itself.

Demo link is on this page:
http://www.matrixgames.com/products/377/downloads/Command%20Ops:%20Battles%20from%20the%20Bulge

There are also several video lessons by the developers on this page and on Youtube.