Personal Patrol Rifle! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Personal Patrol Rifle!

KiloBravo
11-12-2012, 06:39
So, I had to qualify with the department issued Colt M4's a few weeks ago. It happened to be during two entire days of monsoon/hurricane Sandy weather. The rifles laid with the dust covers open out in the freezing rain, hail, and heavy wind for both of those days. The impressive part is that they never missed a beat. They functioned perfectly and I shot a damn near perfect score. All of the issued rifles are outfitted with aimpoints, and surefire mounted handguards. The biggest thing I didn't like about them is that they have the fixed carry handle with the optic mounted way up high, and the slings are crap. The shotguns have a Vtac tactical 2 point sling on them, which I loved when we shot those.

So, after getting some hands on with a Colt, I went out and bought myself a LE6920 this weekend to use as my own personal duty rifle. I already mounted a surefire flashlight, and just now ordered an Aimpoint Patrol Rifle Optic (PRO), and a Vtac 2 point sling. I also already removed the carry handle and installed a rear Magpul flip up BUIS.

Needless to say, this rifle is going to be several big steps above in the quality department over the old 20" DPMS AR-15 that I never should have bought in the first place.

The Aimpoint and sling should be here by the time I get to come home again for the Thanksgiving holiday. Instead of shopping Black Friday, I am going to be sending lead down range with my new boom stick! :supergrin:

rockapede
11-12-2012, 06:55
So, I had to qualify with the department issued Colt M4's a few weeks ago. It happened to be during two entire days of monsoon/hurricane Sandy weather. The rifles laid with the dust covers open out in the freezing rain, hail, and heavy wind for both of those days. The impressive part is that they never missed a beat. They functioned perfectly and I shot a damn near perfect score. All of the issued rifles are outfitted with aimpoints, and surefire mounted handguards. The biggest thing I didn't like about them is that they have the fixed carry handle with the optic mounted way up high, and the slings are crap. The shotguns have a Vtac tactical 2 point sling on them, which I loved when we shot those.

So, after getting some hands on with a Colt, I went out and bought myself a LE6920 this weekend to use as my own personal duty rifle. I already mounted a surefire flashlight, and just now ordered an Aimpoint Patrol Rifle Optic (PRO), and a Vtac 2 point sling. I also already removed the carry handle and installed a rear Magpul flip up BUIS.

Needless to say, this rifle is going to be several big steps above in the quality department over the old 20" DPMS AR-15 that I never should have bought in the first place.

The Aimpoint and sling should be here by the time I get to come home again for the Thanksgiving holiday. Instead of shopping Black Friday, I am going to be sending lead down range with my new boom stick! :supergrin:

Nice! I wouldn't add a single thing other than what you've got coming. Well, maybe a DD fixed rear, but that's just my personal preference. Keep it lubed and shoot the piss out of it.

boomhower
11-12-2012, 07:22
Good choice. A personally owned rifle set-up to your preferences is a good way to go as long as your willing to accept it may end up in the evidence locker for a couple years. Mine is outfitted very similarly with the main difference a fixed DD rear.

Line Rider
11-12-2012, 07:39
What is it that you don't like about your old 20" DPMS AR-15? I have one and just curious.

KiloBravo
11-12-2012, 08:08
What is it that you don't like about your old 20" DPMS AR-15? I have one and just curious.

I did not like the 20" barrel and the fixed stock. It was not ideal for patrol use. It also felt and looked "cheap" to me after shooting a Colt. It was also unreliable at times when using certain magazines or ammo. It was also not one of the approved rifles to carry on patrol with the agency I am in the academy for.

walkin' trails
11-12-2012, 08:39
I'm in the process of placing my order for my own department authorized carbine, a RRA A4. I have put close to 8K rounds thru my department issued RRA with less than half a dozen malfunctions that were brought on by bad primers in a bad lot of ammo and a junk mag I found and tried to use on the range. While my department RRA came with some good stuff for its day, I've also found that its best to be able to equip your own the way you like it.

Panzergrenadier1979
11-12-2012, 08:48
I haven't yet worked up the nerve to ask our chief about amending our policy to allow personally owned patrol rifles. I'm content with our Colt ARs; I just would like to have a good excuse to give to my wife to justify buy a new rifle. :whistling:

We do have a VERY old Colt M16A1 (early to mid-60s, full-auto, no forward assist etc...) that no one ever signs out for patrol. I did shoot it once during quals and it is a freaking laser!

So when is graduation scheduled?

Dragoon44
11-12-2012, 08:54
Just curious but do you actually say things like "My PPR", and if so does any one ask,

"Are what"?

:tongueout::rofl:

KiloBravo
11-12-2012, 09:01
I haven't yet worked up the nerve to ask our chief about amending our policy to allow personally owned patrol rifles. I'm content with our Colt ARs; I just would like to have a good excuse to give to my wife to justify buy a new rifle. :whistling:

We do have a VERY old Colt M16A1 (early to mid-60s, full-auto, no forward assist etc...) that no one ever signs out for patrol. I did shoot it once during quals and it is a freaking laser!

So when is graduation scheduled?

I would like to shoot that old Colt. That would be a fun time, lol.

Graduation is scheduled for December 21. :wavey:

KiloBravo
11-12-2012, 09:02
Just curious but do you actually say things like "My PPR", and if so does any one ask,

"Are what"?

:rofl:That is pretty fresh, coming from an old fossil like yourself. :tongueout: :supergrin:

Dragoon44
11-12-2012, 10:24
:rofl:That is pretty fresh, coming from an old fossil like yourself. :tongueout: :supergrin:

I just called it my Personal Patrol Rock.

Panzergrenadier1979
11-12-2012, 10:24

Gottcha.... Sorry I missed your last academy-update post....that would have been a better place for my question.

Keep it up; you're sooo close!

KiloBravo
11-12-2012, 10:42
Gottcha.... Sorry I missed your last academy-update post....that would have been a better place for my question.

Keep it up; you're sooo close!

No biggie at all. Thanks for the encouragement as well. I hope to work with you soon!

Morris
11-12-2012, 14:14
Add a good light and KISS! Big issue I see with some officers is that their PPRs look like the AR version of a Swiss Army knife.

You will have a career long/lifelong AR as it is now.

rockapede
11-12-2012, 14:26
Add a good light and KISS! Big issue I see with some officers is that their PPRs look like the AR version of a Swiss Army knife.

I'll admit, I did bolt up the tacticool can opener onto my rifle when I first got it. Then, I said to myself: "Self, bullets make a pretty good (albeit messy) can opener on their own."

KiloBravo
11-12-2012, 14:35

Yes Sir! I have a good light mounted to it already. I am just waiting for the Aimpoint and viking tac sling. I am a total gear nut, but even I like the idea of keeping extra stuff on a long gun to a minimum. :cool:

garyjandfamily
11-12-2012, 14:42

Wait - the world is going to end the day you graduate?!? (you know - Mayan calendar, etc.) That's classic! :supergrin:

December 21st is my 54th Birthday, so we're going to have an end of the world party!! :cool:

Glock Holliday
11-12-2012, 20:37
Well, your priorities are straight... start out with a state-of-the-art carbine, add a quality optic, light, and sling. Buy a bunch of Pmags and you've got everything you need.

SCSU74
11-12-2012, 21:35
Love my 6920! $1000 later haha (aimpoint pro, vtac alpha rail, ti-7 stock, vtac sling, hogue grip, magpul trigger guard, vtac sling adaptor for front attachment, dd fixed front, mi folding rear, gunfighter charging handle, IWC hand stop, vortex flash hider, and an x300 :) )

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

ditchdoc24
11-13-2012, 22:12

My issued patrol rifle is one of these M16A1s. It's still a good rifle even if it is older than I am:rofl: