Striker/firingpin spring? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Striker/firingpin spring?

Z71
11-12-2012, 07:31
My favorite Glock is a well-used gen.1 G17 pistol.

This particular Glock had a weak/dead original recoil spring in it when I got it..which I immediatly replaced with a new spring/guide assembly.

No problems since until the other day when I loaded up a couple mags with various loose ball ammo I've had laying around for years.

I was having some issues with the old nasty ammo..some of the problems were 'light-strikes'...denting the primers..but not firing the chambered round.

I took the G17 apart..and also stripped the top-end off my G19(which is old but little used)...Comparing the striker spring strength between the two pistols...the G17 spring seems close to the G19 spring...but maybe a bit weaker.

Personaly...I think my G17 problems was the nasty ammo..however I was curious about how to check striker/firingpin strength.

So just what's the procedure for checking out the striker springs in Glock pistols??

greenlion
11-12-2012, 07:59
Why not just buy a new striker spring if you are worried about it?

Z71
11-12-2012, 08:10
I probably will...just curious if there is a spring length or spring power spec..or a method for checking it out.

Made in Austria
11-12-2012, 08:19
The Glock OEM striker springs are all the same.

Z71
11-12-2012, 09:40
I just spent the last 30 minutes detail stripping my ancient Glock's slide.

Was rather oily inside the finingpin and extractor channel...also a quanity of fine brass shavings/dirt was accumulated towards the front of the pin hole behind the breechface. This stuff I guess gathering from cartridge case debris working back from the extractor and firingpin cut in the breechface.

I squirted it clean with brake-cleaner and gave it a compressed-air blwjob..wiped the various internal goodies clean and reassembled the slide.

I'm no Glock armorer...but everything internal looked perfect..including the spring. I don't think there was was so much crud/oil inside that it was a problem...however I suppose it's possible. All clean and dry now.

I imagine a person should detail clean a Glock on occasion huh? Thinking about it...It's probably been six or seven years since I last had the slide apart.

I'll have to sneak off and try my G17 with good ammo.

rimshaker
11-12-2012, 14:02
Make sure the firing pin spring isn't upside down. Meaning the end with the most coils is supposed to be holding the spring cups.

This actually affects how the trigger will feel just before breaking. When it was installed upside down I noticed very slight extra takeup (spongy) just before the break.

M 7
11-12-2012, 14:04
I squirted it clean with brake-cleaner and gave it a compressed-air blwjob...

Some guys must R-E-A-L-L-Y love their Glocks!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

SCmasterblaster
11-12-2012, 14:41
Some guys must R-E-A-L-L-Y love their Glocks!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:supergrin::supergrin:

mglindo
11-12-2012, 16:25
What a coincidence. I just watched a video last night about taking apart the slide assembly and cleaning it at least every six months or yearly. The shooter who did the video mentioned that if the weapon was shot frequently, that bits of primer brass would eventually build up in the striker channel where it would cause light strikes and possibly FTF's. Maybe this would be a good time for people to take apart the slide assembly for a good clean, especially on their concealed carry weapon, to ensure it will work as designed. It may save your life.

Z71
11-12-2012, 17:18
Yeh..there was definately a quanity of brass particals inside my slide..and on the striker/firingpin tip.

I've had it apart before...but cannot remember just how thoroughly I cleaned it(or if I cleaned it!)...I think I just inspected it's internals for integrity and stuck it back together when I bought it.

SCC
11-12-2012, 21:54
Make sure the firing pin spring isn't upside down. Meaning the end with the most coils is supposed to be holding the spring cups.

This actually affects how the trigger will feel just before breaking. When it was installed upside down I noticed very slight extra takeup (spongy) just before the break.
they are the same on newer glocks now !!! :whistling:

JBP55
11-13-2012, 06:34
they are the same on newer glocks now !!! :whistling:

And have been for quite a while.

jim7777b
11-13-2012, 10:15
rimshaker--I have been around glocks since their inception, and never saw or heard that about the firing pin spring. Maybe my book says it and I just missed it. My signature was right "I know nothing about them any more"--- I looked at my 4--the 27 was upside down---the 19 was correct---the 17 and the 22 both have the new gray springs and they have 3 coils on both ends---so left 'em alone. :faint:
Thanks

Z71
11-13-2012, 19:58
Ehh?....I just took my vintage 1986 G17 slide back apart and checked the striker spring.

Look as hard as I might at the spring...and it's the same..both ends.

Took my 1990 made G19 apart..and it's the same...ain't no difference in the striker-spring ends!

KS_Jayhawk
11-13-2012, 20:05
And have been for quite a while.

Not on my Gen4 G19 I just detail cleaned this past weekend, in fact it was not on properly from factory, had no issues but did install correctly following cleaning.

rimshaker
11-13-2012, 23:15
I have a gen2 G19 and gen3 G21sf and both have the "old" striker spring I guess. Where one end has more coils. Never knew there were newer ones now.

The brand new 21sf had the spring reversed compared to my 19. Makes sense for the spring cups to be held together with the more solid end of the spring. So after reversing it, I noticed the trigger break was much crisper and cleaner. Switched back and forth again just to make sure it wasn't psychological lol.

JBP55
11-14-2012, 04:22
Not on my Gen4 G19 I just detail cleaned this past weekend, in fact it was not on properly from factory, had no issues but did install correctly following cleaning.

They are the same on all of my Gen. 4 Glocks and were on all of my late Gen 3 Glocks as well. Maybe they are using a new vendor?

JesseA
11-14-2012, 07:00
When I bought my G31C I went straight home and shot it. The gun functioned perfectly. When I finished I went inside to detail strip/clean the gun and seen the extractor rod was in backwards. The plastic plunger was touching the extractor. I put it back together the correct way but found it amazing that the gun still functioned perfectly.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine