Travis Haley carbine DVD [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Travis Haley carbine DVD

GoldDot40
11-12-2012, 08:10
I want this really bad, but I also want to benefit from it. From an LE standpoint, could I learn something from this? I've never watched firearms instructional videos, so I'm not sure what to expect. It gets great reviews, but should I just save the $30, and put it towards a class somewhere? We train like hell on handgun, but our patrol rifle training is lacking and minimal.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

walkin' trails
11-12-2012, 08:28
I can't say that I'm familiar with Travis Haley or that video, but if everything is accepted cannon and common sense, then a video can't hurt. I can't recommend any good ones per say myself, as I just haven't got into them. From the gun mags, I see that Jim Grover has been putting out good stuff for a while. Clint Smith of Thunder Ranch has a series, and though I've never had the chance to go thru one of his classes, I've seen him instruct on the cable shows and read his articles, and his wisdom is worth paying attention to. Spending money on videos is only as good as your incorporation of what you view and accept into your training program. Shooters believe that firearms training only takes place on the range, but I can tell you from the standpoint of someone who is approaching 50 faster than I'd like that spending time at home dry firing and practicing the positions on a regular basis is time well spend. The one thing I would do above all else is to obtain a copy of Jeff Cooper's "the Art of the Rifle." While its not going to be a nuts and bolts instruction manual, it addresses the philosopy behind the concept of the "rifleman," and a carbine is , of course, from the family of rifles. I believe that every American soldier, cop, hunter, or firearms entheusiast should read that book!

Mayhem like Me
11-12-2012, 10:52
I have been to a Travis class and now use the 36 yard/300 yard zero...great info from Travis

blueiron
11-12-2012, 12:07
Clint Smith of Thunder Ranch has a series, and though I've never had the chance to go thru one of his classes, I've seen him instruct on the cable shows and read his articles, and his wisdom is worth paying attention to.

His "wisdom" has to be separated from all the chaff that comes with his instruction. While his presentation can be entertaining for those never having been in the Marines or the services, I found it distracting and pointless. I wanted an analytical education and got something else.

I found the class to be undervalued and overpriced for the level of instruction provided. Gunsite was much better, though with the ownership changes, that can be contingent upon the period of attendance.

RyanNREMTP
11-12-2012, 12:34
Travis Haley is one of the guys that created the Magpul Art of the catbine. While I have never taken any of his classes or watched any of his videos I hear they are very good.

Sent from my Federation issued communicator.

Schaffer
11-12-2012, 20:27
His videos with Chris Costa from magpul are on YouTube. If you search you can find them,I've seen the video cut into 3 parts.

golls17
11-13-2012, 00:29
Travis Haley is one of the guys that created the Magpul Art of the catbine. While I have never taken any of his classes or watched any of his videos I hear they are very good.

Sent from my Federation issued communicator.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR17zNgMhTDYT8lnFPZbHSzuEL75s7i7rlIhiN5AkxrOAm5wsm14Q
(google image search)

RyanNREMTP
11-14-2012, 09:30
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR17zNgMhTDYT8lnFPZbHSzuEL75s7i7rlIhiN5AkxrOAm5wsm14Q
(google image search)

Damn Federation Issued Spellchecker. :rofl:

Hamrhed
11-14-2012, 17:12
Personally, I like the Panteo DVDs- and I think Haley's are very good. While I have not seen the entire 'Carbine' vid, I have others and learned a lot from them