Horse poop thread got me thinking. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Horse poop thread got me thinking.

Adjuster
11-12-2012, 08:30
I grew up in a small city of WV and as a kid had the occasional opportunities to get out to relatives farms and be close to horses and cows and pigs etc.. I have only ridden a horse once at about 5 years old. I remember my butt being all sweaty from the horses back. There is nothing like the experience of petting a horses nose or feeding him a hand full of hay. They are amazing animals. Just as cool is standing in the middle of a herd of cows. They are so big and could seem to care less about you being there with them. I am now 45 years old and haven't been close enough to touch a horse or any other farm animal in over 35 years. I am guessing it is much more common today for someone to have never touched a horse or other farm animal than it is to touch one. So who here on GlockTalk has never petted a horse or been around any farm animals? I am betting there will be quite a few. Maybe not so many as if this was a car or motorcycle forum as opposed to a gun forum but I am guessing there will still be several.

On a side note almost just as amazing who has never experienced the shock of an electric fence?

If your a city folk with a family I highly recommend getting your kids out where they can experience the presence of a horse. It is something they will never forget.

/

ithaca_deerslayer
11-12-2012, 09:48
Who hasn't ridden home late at night in pitch dark on a horse, letting him find the trail through the woods because you can't see anything.

Trust established, you and him.

1-2man
11-12-2012, 09:50
I just this past summer actually got to stand next to a horse for the first time in my life and pet it. I could not believe how big it was. Seeing them on TV and whatnot did it no justice. I was also intimidated and felt like it was going to whip around and bite my arse. :supergrin:

Steel Head
Was born on a farm an PROUD of it.
Electric fences are for convincing city cousins to pee on:whistling:
Cows(dairy and beef),sheep,chickens,pigs and one very mean horse.
To this day I'm leery of horses but pet an scratch one every chance I get-we even had a few where I live now for a bit.
BY FAR the best days of my childhood.

rdstrain49
What's a horse? :whistling:

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad281/rdstrain49/IMG_0001.jpg

Gallium
11-12-2012, 11:07
Damn,

My kids ride when I can find the time. I spent a lot of summers in the country raising mostly hell :), looking into pissing off the neighbors by getting a few chickens and a goat.

Spiffums
11-12-2012, 12:42
I grew up in a small city of WV and as a kid had the occasional opportunities to get out to relatives farms and be close to horses and cows and pigs etc.. I have only ridden a horse once at about 5 years old. I remember my butt being all sweaty from the horses back. There is nothing like the experience of petting a horses nose or feeding him a hand full of hay. They are amazing animals. Just as cool is standing in the middle of a herd of cows. They are so big and could seem to care less about you being there with them. I am now 45 years old and haven't been close enough to touch a horse or any other farm animal in over 35 years. I am guessing it is much more common today for someone to have never touched a horse or other farm animal than it is to touch one. So who here on GlockTalk has never petted a horse or been around any farm animals? I am betting there will be quite a few. Maybe not so many as if this was a car or motorcycle forum as opposed to a gun forum but I am guessing there will still be several.

On a side note almost just as amazing who has never experienced the shock of an electric fence?

If your a city folk with a family I highly recommend getting your kids out where they can experience the presence of a horse. It is something they will never forget.

/

Slap a sack of sweet feed over your shoulder and see how fast they get intersted in you LOL

Adjuster
11-12-2012, 13:02
Slap a sack of sweet feed over your shoulder and see how fast they get intersted in you LOL

One of my scariest horse experiences. I was visiting my much older cousin who had horses and she gave me apples and a bucket of feed so I could experience the horses. I climbed over the split rail fence into the pasture and the horses could see me from several hundred yards away. These horses came at me at a full run/gallop with in my mind no intention of stopping. I was scared crapless and ready to leap back over the fence in a single bound. My cousin told me to stand still and of course the horses ran up to me at full speed and stopped a few feet away and walked up for their apples and feed. Again an amazing experience to see these horses and be scared the crap out of my pants by them as a little kid. They could not have been any more gentle once they stopped charging at me.

/

NeverMore1701
11-12-2012, 13:57
My official story is that I've never touched a ... Wait, you said horse. Nevermind.

gwalchmai
11-12-2012, 14:04
Who has not felt totally inadequate... oh, never mind.

redbaron007
11-12-2012, 14:08
Fortunately, I had two grandparents who loved their grandsons enough to allow them to work on their farms during the summers, spring breaks etc. :rofl:

As I grew up, I vowed to not let my kids experience the opportunity to feed calves, milk, be with horses etc. In Branson MO, there is the College of the Ozarks. It is a hands on college. Everyone works to support the college and their education. Even though you don't attend the school, you can go down and help/visit. I've taken my kids down there several times to help milk, bottle feed calves and move cows from one area to another.

It does help ones perspective to see how things work and where it comes from.

:wavey:

red

Jeffe
11-12-2012, 16:56
watching someone pee on an electric fence when you are young is one of the great joys in life.

Dennis in MA
11-12-2012, 17:07
Horses get your butt sweaty? TMI! Lol

One of my scariest horse experiences. I was visiting my much older cousin who had horses and she gave me apples and a bucket of feed so I could experience the horses. I climbed over the split rail fence into the pasture and the horses could see me from several hundred yards away. These horses came at me at a full run/gallop with in my mind no intention of stopping. I was scared crapless and ready to leap back over the fence in a single bound. My cousin told me to stand still and of course the horses ran up to me at full speed and stopped a few feet away and walked up for their apples and feed. Again an amazing experience to see these horses and be scared the crap out of my pants by them as a little kid. They could not have been any more gentle once they stopped charging at me.

/

I had a Rott do that once. Thought I was going to die. The ground shaking was just like a horse. He dropped right in front of me and rolled over for a belly rub. Lol

HollowHead
11-12-2012, 17:14
What is this "horse" creature you speak of?

Mine:
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l249/marmadukeruggles/Norton-1.jpg

Wife's:
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l249/marmadukeruggles/kathi_and_Bradley_037.jpg

HH

NeverMore1701
11-12-2012, 17:16
After a nice dirty, wet ride:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/--ncPGdciCvs/UC1oHNj4adI/AAAAAAAAFww/gTR-yxkBgHY/s1600/458178_10100884553958738_1317806991_o.jpg

devildog2067
11-12-2012, 17:17
I learned to ride for a date once about 10 years ago, spent every morning for two weeks doing it and surprised her. Totally worth it.

My wife's family owns a little property in Texas and keeps horses on it, we ride every time we make it down there.

HollowHead
11-12-2012, 17:51
"There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man." -Winston Churchill

Magnus2131
11-12-2012, 17:58
Something I miss doing. Never owned a horse but we were friends with people from the local saddle club.

NEOH212
11-12-2012, 18:13
Horses don't poop, they leave,

Road Apples!

:rofl::rofl:

Walk Soft
11-12-2012, 18:20
I grew up with Standerdbred's.We always had chickens and hogs too.I used to hate horses as a kid because they only meant work.Now a days I'd love to go back.

FPS
11-12-2012, 18:25
I'm around horses almost every day. I consider myself lucky.

HollowHead
11-12-2012, 19:38
I'm around horses almost every day. I consider myself lucky.

Our master bath's window opens onto one of our pastures. I'll often be sitting there reading the paper and have a horse stretch his neck in and grab the sports section. HH

gjk5
11-12-2012, 19:44
I have lived in some big cities but was raised in the country. I cannot imagine NOT having experienced horses, cows, hunting and just plain being outdoors in a wild place. I do my best to instill the love of these things in my daughters.

Short of getting them a horse, they are not getting a damn horse.

NeverMore1701
11-12-2012, 19:53
Our master bath's window opens onto one of our pastures. I'll often be sitting there reading the paper and have a horse stretch his neck in and grab the sports section. HH

That's just awesome. I can't wait to live somewhere with the horses on-site again.