ACLU vs. US Marines [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : ACLU vs. US Marines

lethal tupperwa
11-12-2012, 09:38
HOORAH!! ACLU vs. US Marines THIS NEEDS TO GO AROUND THE USA MANY TIMES SO KEEP IT GOING!

If you look closely at the picture above, you will note that all the Marines pictured are bowing their heads. That's because they're praying. This incident took place at a recent ceremony honoring the birthday of the corps, and it has the ACLU up in arms. "These are federal employees," says Lucius Traveler, a spokesman for the ACLU, "on federal property and on federal time.. For them to pray is clearly an establishment of religion, and we must nip this in the bud immediately."

When asked about the ACLU's charges, Colonel Jack Fessender, speaking for the Commandant of the Corps said (cleaned up a bit), "Screw the ACLU." GOD Bless Our Warriors. Send the ACLU to France !
Please send this to people you know so everyone will know how stupid the ACLU is getting in trying to remove GOD from everything and every place in America May God Bless America , One Nation Under GOD!

ithaca_deerslayer
11-12-2012, 09:42
This has got to be a joke.

Next the ACLU will sue a maribe for praying while under attack in a foxhole.

You know, federal employee on the job, using taxpayer money to pray.

frizz
11-12-2012, 09:59
I used to work for the USAF. I didn't like it at all when group functions opened with prayer. It went against my religious beliefs.

I am not much of a Christian (I'm a poor excuse for one), but I interpret the admonishment of Jesus not to pray in public but to do so in your closet to mean that you pray in church or at home.

I also do not think any prayer other than the Lord's Prayer is allowed. I do not want to bow my head in prayer to something written by the chain of command.

The government has no business in religion. Why many of the people who say that the government has no business running welfare programs think that it is OK for the government to get into religion is beyond me.

devildog2067
11-12-2012, 10:02
So yeah, not even remotely true:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/marines.asp

lethal tupperwa
11-12-2012, 10:05
so snopes said, no knowledge of pic circulated on the internet.

where did the pic come from?

frizz
11-12-2012, 10:22
so snopes said no internet pic of

You didn't read the article on Snopes, did you? Of course you didn't. The article says nothing about there being no picture. In fact, the pic is in the article. :upeyes:

devildog2067
11-12-2012, 10:24
so snopes said no internet pic

No.

Snopes said:

1) Colonel Jack Fessender is not a real person. He does not exist.
2) The ACLU has never filed a lawsuit seeking to end prayer in the military.

They make no comment on the picture.

lethal tupperwa
11-12-2012, 10:35
they did comment on the picture what snopes did you read?

devildog2067
11-12-2012, 10:37

The one I linked to. It contains no comment about the picture itself. All of the comments are about the included story, which is entirely made up. False. Not true.

frizz
11-12-2012, 11:07

Why do you not end your sentences with periods? This isn't a nit picking grammar nazi observation because not using periods 1) makes post difficult to read, and 2) tends to make meanings unclear.

To the substance of your question, what difference does this picture make? It could easily be found on the web, so it adds no credibility to the assertion that the ACLU or the USMC are having a disagreement about anything.

WarCry
11-12-2012, 11:53
so snopes said, no knowledge of pic circulated on the internet.

Actually, that's a quote from the ACLU, and if you understand how press statements work, they aren't saying they don't acknowledge the existence of the photo. They're saying they - the ACLU as an entity - has no PROFESSIONAL knowledge of that photo, meaning they're not involved in any way with it.

Reading comprehension is an important skill.

The complete quote is even referenced with a link to the ACLU website FAQ:

The ACLU has no knowledge about the photograph of Marines praying that has circulated on the Internet. The ACLU has also never had a spokesperson -- quoted by news organizations as "Lucius Traveler" -- by this name.

Geko45
11-12-2012, 11:59
Folks, if you just assume that all internet chain mails are total fabrications then everything will go a lot easier.

capnjim01
11-12-2012, 12:02
Why don't the MARINES just kick the sh** out of the ACLU just for good measure.

devildog2067
11-12-2012, 12:04
Why don't the MARINES just kick the sh** out of the ACLU just for good measure.

Uhh... because Marines are sworn to protect the Constitution, which guarantees civil liberties, not to go around assaulting people who disagree with you?

I'm a Marine and a proud ACLU (and NRA) member. Freedom is freedom, and in many ways the most important ones are the ones that you don't agree with.

capnjim01
11-12-2012, 12:09
Uhh... because Marines are sworn to protect the Constitution, which guarantees civil liberties, not to go around assaulting people who disagree with you?

I'm a Marine and a proud ACLU (and NRA) member. Freedom is freedom, and in many ways the most important ones are the ones that you don't agree with.

Thank you for you service and I apologize if my joke offened you.

devildog2067
11-12-2012, 12:26
Thank you for you service and I apologize if my joke offened you.

Trust me, I have much thicker skin than that. No worries my friend.

I'm just trying to point out that, as much as the ACLU does defend quite a bit of stupid ****, they really do also do good work. It's important to remember that freedom of religion and freedom of speech are just as important as the right to bear arms.

lethal tupperwa
11-12-2012, 14:04
just pointing out that snopes is NOT the end all(.)

devildog2067
11-12-2012, 14:08
just pointing out that snopes is NOT the end all(.)

True or false: Your original post is a repost of a chain email which is a completely fabricated story attached to an unrelated photograph.

Annoyedgrunt
11-12-2012, 14:09
Folks, if you just assume that all internet chain mails are total fabrications then everything will go a lot easier.

...and if you love America and value freedom, forward this message to all your friends and family. If you don't, then the terrorists have won. ;)

redbaron007
11-12-2012, 14:12

^^^
This is step one for just about any email.

:wavey:

red