Keeping a car pristine [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Keeping a car pristine

Cooper
11-12-2012, 11:03
I bought a new (to me) car over the weekend, and even though it's very modest (Honda Civic), I'm absolutely thrilled to have something new and clean.

I have never been one of those people that manages to keep his car spotless, but I'd like to try to develop good habits. I'm not sure if I want to take it to the level of not parking under trees, etc., but I'd like to treat this one better than past autos.

Thanks!

roger123
11-12-2012, 11:07
I go over mine once or twice a year with clay bar and a good wax. Keeps the paint looking good.

nathanours
11-12-2012, 11:11
Well my car is 16 years old, and I've had people think that it was brand new. There is a car wash near me where I don't actually wash it, but go to use their free vacuums (I do wash my beater car there).

As far as interior products, I am a big fan of maguires (sp?) products, and I'd avoid armourall as I've heard it is alcohol based and can dry interior parts out. I use the maguires utlimate dash/plastic spray stuff, and the leather treatment.

For the exterior, you'll need a good orbital polisher, a clay bar, and some good wax, along with lots of microfiber/terrycloth rags. I like mothers polish and wax. Keeping a wax coat on your paint makes it look better much longer, and hides swirl marks and tiny imperfections.

Make sure to spray underneath your car in the winter to get the salt out of there.

Hope this helps.

If you click on the pic it'll get bigger.

http://i575.photobucket.com/albums/ss199/glock19_9mm/PicsArt_1351363511724.jpg

Henry Kane
11-12-2012, 11:12
I bought a new (to me) car over the weekend, and even though it's very modest (Honda Civic), I'm absolutely thrilled to have something new and clean.

I have never been one of those people that manages to keep his car spotless, but I'd like to try to develop good habits. I'm not sure if I want to take it to the level of not parking under trees, etc., but I'd like to treat this one better than past autos.

Thanks!

I'm pretty picky when it comes to taking care of things (house, car, etc.) and it's not really that tough to get into the habit. My general rule is to maintain things as I go.

As far as keeping the car neat, I never leave anything behind when I get home. I take trash, empty cups, mail, etc. in with me every time.

I keep a roll of paper towels, a dust wipe, and a plastic grocery bag in the car, always. A nice subtle air freshener (I can't handle loud obnoxious scents) makes a big difference too. I shake the mats out every week or so. All in all, it never loses the nice, clean, well-kept feel, and with minimal effort.

The outside isn't as easy. We can only control so much. The weather, dust, puddles, etc. are going to catch up, but just do a nice wash before it gets too bad, and it's not so daunting. I always park as far from other cars as possible to avoid door dings or bumps etc.

Not much too it really. Congrats on your new ride! :)

SC Tiger
11-12-2012, 11:13

Thanks!

Congrats on the new car. I just bought a Civic in September myself.

Try to keep it washed and a coat of wax on the outside.

Also, keep the inside vacuumed as the dirt can cause the carpeting to be damaged (especially in a sandy environment).

I got a set of floor mats from Honda (it came with the wrong ones) for mine. They protect most of the carpet. The rear mat is actually a 1-piece mat that stretches across the entire car.

Something I try to do on my cars is to keep the "little stuff" fixed (broken switches, minor trim coming off, etc). If I keep that stuff repaired then it seems to be easier to make myself vacuum and clean the car and maintain it better. It's the same principle as why a fire department washes their trucks every three or four days. The cleaner you keep you equipment, the better overall care you will take of it.

I also clean all my cr#p out of it when I get home, instead of letting it accumulate.

Gallium
11-12-2012, 11:17
1st, make sure it is mechanically sound. Replace things like shocks and tires when they are worn. Worn / leaking shocks/struts allows for your frame to get beat to hell if you drive on lumpy roads.

Get it detailed inside/out 4x a year.

Put a few small plastic bags in the glove box/etc, and at the end of the day/week clean out all the garbage. Better yet, eat like a "normal" person. Eat a table with utensils, and clear the table when you're done (hey, I don't do that, but it sounds snobbish enough :)), try to not eat in the car. Don't smoke in the car - unless it's after sex, where then it's not only acceptable, it may be a requirement.

Keep the wipers decent (won't leave marks on the glass), and if your budget allows, fix dings/scrapes/dents when they occur.

- G

JohnBT
11-12-2012, 11:22
I've parked on the street under trees for 40 years. Here's what I do.

- No smoking or eating anything crunchy, greasy or covered in chili.

- I keep Invisible Glass in the car to remove bird droppings. I hit the $2 for 5 min. magic wand car wash from time to time, especially during tree sap season.

- Once a year I hand wash it. Maybe. My theory is that too much rubbing scratches the paint.

John

P.S. - A guy I worked with for 25 years actually rinsed his vehicle off daily before he put it in the garage.

jtull7
11-12-2012, 11:23
I wash my truck once a year, whether it needs it or not.

elsolo
11-12-2012, 11:29
Keeping the car clean just makes it that much more enjoyable to use.

Once you quit caring about keeping a car clean, keeping it maintained is not far behind. Clunks and rattles get ignored, next thing you know you are driving a filthy wreck that is no pleasure to operate.

Flying-Dutchman
11-12-2012, 11:44
Do not give large dogs rides in your car on a regular basis.

The center arm rest was the only thing my dog damaged so I purchased a spare and installed it right before I sold my car.

However it took three days of vacuuming and Woolite to get the interior clean and free from fur.

This is with a dog blanket in the back seat.

I kept my last car's exterior up with regular non-abrasive waxing for a few years until someone rear ended it.

After that it was never the same as the paint did not match and it started to rust so it seemed pointless.

Unfortunately a car is a consumption item you use up.

FullClip
11-12-2012, 11:57
I was and wax my truck 2X a year...in the spring, and then in the fall before it get too cold. For being a 2005 in Maine it don't look too bad. Bad thing is I'm a pig inside the cab. I'll clean it out, vacuum, leather treatment for seats, wash the wondows, Armorall the dash....and in a couple days it looks more like a self propelled dumpster than a pick-up truck.

Lots of luck keep yer ride clean...I've given up.:supergrin:

janice6
11-12-2012, 12:04
I have a neighbor whose only activity is cleaning. His house, his yard, his car, everything. It's all he does.

He washes his car about every 3 or 4 days. He waxes his car about once a week.

he showed me places where he has actually worn right through the pain and primer to bare steel. Of course it's shiny from all the wiping and waxing, but still looks like crap.

Don't overdo a good thing.

tslex
11-12-2012, 12:16

Ya know, you make a compelling point. My 8-y-o truck's up to 133K and I'm thinking maybe I need to start babying it like you do yours.

(To be serious, I am pretty assiduous about maintenance, tires, mechanical qualities. But the exterior? Dings, dents and dust. It's a truck.)

vart
11-12-2012, 12:24
My car is 13 months old and has 45k miles on it. I drive 150 miles a day to work, 5 days a week.

I baby my car and wash it twice a week and keep it waxed and the oil changed. I also have touch up paint for chips and I go over the car once a month. It still is showing the miles...

The best thing is to just not drive it...

gwalchmai
11-12-2012, 13:57
Don't let my wife drive your car...

LASTRESORT20
11-12-2012, 14:15
`Cooper good for you Congrats.......always keep your stuff clean/lubed and looking good...and Ready! :)

Wash my new Jeep Wrangler once a week (ya I get it dirty)....keep it lubed well with synthetic oil and wipe down "always" under the hood....take care of all your "things" and they will take care of you.

Chowser
11-12-2012, 14:24
my rules, don't eat in the car. don't drink in the car.
kids learned that they can't do anything but sit quietly in daddy's car.

wax it every few months. especially before winter.

i just bought an '09 bmw 328i xdrive for winter use. it was already cleaned and waxed from the dealership. i bought it saturday. on sunday, i washed it myself, waxed it, even put wheel wax on the wheels, then i hit it with a coat of opti-seal.

it's ready for the cleveland winter.

vacuum it out once a week minimum just to get anything that you've left behind. wash when it needs it. don't let bird crap sit on it. you sometimes can't help where you park, but if you can, park away from trees and buildings.

VC-Racing
11-12-2012, 14:31
My detail guy only uses Adams Polishes.
I have a few friends who are frequent participants in car shows also swear by Adams polishes.....

DanaT
11-12-2012, 15:12
i just bought an '09 bmw 328i xdrive for winter use. it was already cleaned and waxed from the dealership. i bought it saturday. on sunday, i washed it myself, waxed it, even put wheel wax on the wheels, then i hit it with a coat of opti-seal.
buildings.

Ahhhh. Brake dust on German car wheels.

I wax my wheels (I like 1Z hartglanz). Then use the armor all brake dust repellant. Helps quite a bit.

Also what helps wheels. Winter tires/wheels. That saves summer wheels from the mag chloride in the winter. Also allows better traction all year.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

11-12-2012, 15:22
This is what a well maintained and regularly hand washed and waxed 34 year old vehicle looks like. This is the original paint. Note the reflection and shine in the red.

http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt354/MattP427/000_2051.jpg

hogfish
11-12-2012, 15:41
In 32 years I have never washed or had washed any of my vehicles. I have thought about it, though. :supergrin:

Chowser
11-12-2012, 15:58
Ahhhh. Brake dust on German car wheels.

Also what helps wheels. Winter tires/wheels. That saves summer wheels from the mag chloride in the winter. Also allows better traction all year.

yeah, i have 17" square setup with winter tires for winter use. summer time i have 18" staggered with non run flat Continental DWS tires.

i've had two flats in 22 years of driving. think i'll be ok. i have plugs and an air compressor in the trunk. should really think about a spare.

i'll have to look into armor all brake dust repellant. as it is i have black winter wheels so it doesn't really show.

JohnBT
11-12-2012, 16:10
"Once you quit caring about keeping a car clean, keeping it maintained is not far behind. Clunks and rattles get ignored, next thing you know you are driving a filthy wreck that is no pleasure to operate."

Oh hogwash. You're hopelessly clueless on all of that. I haven't traded in a car since '75 because I have people/friends waiting to buy them. I had three people on a list for a year for the last one and it was only an '06 Avalon XLS with 48k miles. They save a couple grand off retail and I don't have to advertise it.

Cooper
11-12-2012, 17:08
Cool thread, guys, thanks for all the input.

What about changing your own oil? Does it actually save any money, or is just a manly thing to do?

And what's the verdict on automatic car washes? I can't see myself hand waxing my car very often, especially not while it's parked on my street.

Calico Jack
11-12-2012, 17:14
Wash, vacuum, and wax (the front) every weekend. Wax the whole car once a month.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

hpracing007
11-12-2012, 17:17
I used to apply sealant and wax to my car nearly every month. I bought really top notch stuff, probably spent $300-400 on detailing supplies. After 10 years, clearcoat still gave out :(

So from now on, screw it.

Walk Soft
11-12-2012, 18:04
I've been in the car wash/detail business for a decade now.I'm anal about my two vehicles to the point that the people that work for me make fun of me.Whenever I get in anybody's car,they apologize for the mess even if it's not that bad.
I'm from the country and drove a dirty,muddy truck for several years.I guess the business has changed me.

NEOH212
11-12-2012, 18:11
To me, a vehicle is nothing more than a tool. While I don't abuse my vehicles, I don't wrap them in bubble wrap and worry about them getting dirty. I maintain them and keep them reasonable clean but I don't and won't obsess over it.

LASTRESORT20
11-12-2012, 18:22

What about changing your own oil? Does it actually save any money, or is just a manly thing to do?

And what's the verdict on automatic car washes? I can't see myself hand waxing my car very often, especially not while it's parked on my street.

***:shocked:
Of course changing one`s own oil save`s money....(dont worry about the "manly" BS)...sometimes I change mine myself...sometimes I get lazy....but I am only 8 feet away as "others" change it...(making sure oil is drained properly & everything is tightened properly)....very seldom on the auto wash thing.....

PS: boring (point A to Point B) cars I dont worry to much....:)

Kevin108
11-12-2012, 20:27
My stuff is old 4x4s. The exterior I wash but that's as far as I care. Both have some rust and lots of pinstripes from the trail.

The interior is different though and I like to keep things clean there. Both of my rigs are without cabin air filters so I get dust in whether I have the windows down or not. What's the best way to clean the obvious nooks and crannies like around the gauges and the gear shift?

JLB768
11-12-2012, 20:39

Absolutely, not only is it cheaper, you don't have to worry about some oil changer kid abusing your car. As far as waxing, if you do it correctly, it should last quite a while, just needing a wash here and there. Get yourself a Porter Cable 7424, some polish, and synthetic wax/sealant. Wash the car good, then clay it, follow with a good polish, then wax/sealant. I've always had great results with Meguiars, I use the Ultimate Polish, followed by NXT 2.0. Meguiars makes Ultimate Compound, Ultimate Polish, and Ultimate Wax. The NXT 2.0 just seems to last longer than the Ultimate Wax.

sierrafast
11-12-2012, 20:47
Don't let my wife drive your car...

Bingo.. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

JohnBT
11-12-2012, 20:50
"I used to apply sealant and wax to my car nearly every month. I bought really top notch stuff, probably spent $300-400 on detailing supplies. After 10 years, clearcoat still gave out :(

So from now on, screw it."

Amen and hallelujah.

11-12-2012, 21:34
My stuff is old 4x4s. The exterior I wash but that's as far as I care. Both have some rust and lots of pinstripes from the trail.

The interior is different though and I like to keep things clean there. Both of my rigs are without cabin air filters so I get dust in whether I have the windows down or not. What's the best way to clean the obvious nooks and crannies like around the gauges and the gear shift?

I like rouge brushes.

Kevin108
11-12-2012, 21:49
What sort of cleaner or solution do you use?

samuse
11-13-2012, 08:13

This. It's nice to look at a clean vehicle but IMO, it attracts kids and idiots that can't get within 5 feet of anything without ****ing up.

11-13-2012, 16:26
What sort of cleaner or solution do you use?

I use Pledge, the furniture polish. It seems to keep the dust off longer than most of the other stuff.

Gonzoso
11-13-2012, 17:07

Changing your own oil is good to do. It allows one to get a good inspection of their car pretty regularly. When I get gas I set the pump to fill the tank, then I pop the hood and check the oil and look over the engine for fluid levels, leaks etc.

As per a suggestion from a user here when I changed my oil yesterday I drained it to where I normally would, then I pulled out my big draining jug and swapped out the pan I use for my motorcycles. I let it sit overnight to drain.

The pan had about 2/3 of a quart of oil in it, which normally I would have left in there. It's a more complete oil change.

Once I changed my oil when I was working in the White Mountains in NH. Lots of hills and such. When I was changing it I checked my brake fluid like normal and it was almost out. A more thorough inspection revealed a bad wheel cylinder. I carefully rode into town and ordered the new part, and didn't lose power to my brakes and crash into a crowd of school children because I checked my fluids myself. Had I put it off or paid someone to do it things might not have worked out the same for me.

BulldawgGlock
11-14-2012, 14:58

Possibly the single funniest thing I have ever read on GT.

RenoF250
11-14-2012, 17:05
Changing your own oil is good to do. It allows one to get a good inspection of their car pretty regularly. When I get gas I set the pump to fill the tank, then I pop the hood and check the oil and look over the engine for fluid levels, leaks etc.

As per a suggestion from a user here when I changed my oil yesterday I drained it to where I normally would, then I pulled out my big draining jug and swapped out the pan I use for my motorcycles. I let it sit overnight to drain.

The pan had about 2/3 of a quart of oil in it, which normally I would have left in there. It's a more complete oil change.

Once I changed my oil when I was working in the White Mountains in NH. Lots of hills and such. When I was changing it I checked my brake fluid like normal and it was almost out. A more thorough inspection revealed a bad wheel cylinder. I carefully rode into town and ordered the new part, and didn't lose power to my brakes and crash into a crowd of school children because I checked my fluids myself. Had I put it off or paid someone to do it things might not have worked out the same for me.

X2 on the inspection that along with keeping the idiots from putting in the wrong oil and over-tightening everything are the main reasons I do it.

I usually use ramps and I must warn you if you do be very careful going up them. I was easy on the gas but I touched it a little too much and the car pulled the ramp under itself (the car did not go forward) and landed on it behind the wheel. Luckily they are plastic ramps and the cars is strong in that area. The ramp got messed up a bit but the car was okay. I never expected that to happen.

Gonzoso
11-14-2012, 17:59
X2 on the inspection that along with keeping the idiots from putting in the wrong oil and over-tightening everything are the main reasons I do it.

I usually use ramps and I must warn you if you do be very careful going up them. I was easy on the gas but I touched it a little too much and the car pulled the ramp under itself (the car did not go forward) and landed on it behind the wheel. Luckily they are plastic ramps and the cars is strong in that area. The ramp got messed up a bit but the car was okay. I never expected that to happen.

I've never used or owned ramps. I always had jeeps and barely needed to jack it up, when I did I used a jack and stands.

I can change the oil on my 2004 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport without lifting the car at all. It's all in the front, It's actually easier than my Jeep because the filter is in a better spot!

If I have to lift it I either us a jack, a 2x4 to distribute weight and four jack stands, or I take it to my buddies shop and put it on his lift. I usually just put it on his lift.

glockdoc21
11-15-2012, 06:08
I used to have a civic that I obsessed over, claybarred regularly, waxed, etc...now I have a beater Ranger and I'm much happier. Life's too short man. I do keep my truck MECHANICALLY pristine (i've already changed all the fluids to mobil 1, even the transmission and diff and I change the oil/rotate the tires regularly)

686Owner
11-15-2012, 06:18
I try to wash my car at least once a year.

certifiedfunds
11-15-2012, 06:57
Its a little known fact that dirt and road grime, if left undisturbed, seal to create a protective barrier for the paint.

deputy tom
11-15-2012, 08:42
I last washed my truck seven and a half years ago. My wife washed her car a year or so ago. I did have to wash my SUV a few months ago to remove cement dust due to a contractor re-doing a sidewalk near my parking space. YMMV. tom.:cool:

Psychman
11-15-2012, 09:40
Unless you don't drive your care, park it in a garage with a tarp over it, it will not remain pristine.

RC-RAMIE
11-15-2012, 13:12
Be careful it can get expensive and time consuming real quick, it is one of my favorite ways to kill time in shop.

This is a before and after compound test spot.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

RC-RAMIE
11-15-2012, 13:14

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

M&P15T
11-15-2012, 13:41
I drive this:
http://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae41/pugcra/SKYLINE/DSCF0102.jpg
I love her.

I use Meguire's cleaning products, waxes, etc. I detail her whenever I get the opportunity. I change her oil with Royal Purple myself. I would marry her if laws allowed.

She has been hit FOUR ****ING TIMES since I bought her summer before last. While parked every time.

Parking way the hell away from other people is rule number one.

certifiedfunds
11-15-2012, 13:55
Best thing to do to a new car is to use a hammer to make a ding in the door or the hood. Then you can quit worrying about this stuff

Psychman
11-15-2012, 14:04
Best thing to do to a new car is to use a hammer to make a ding in the door or the hood. Then you can quit worrying about this stuff

LOL. Yes. That was the point of my posting above.

11-15-2012, 14:10
I drive this:
I love her.

I use Meguire's cleaning products, waxes, etc. I detail her whenever I get the opportunity. I change her oil with Royal Purple myself. I would marry her if laws allowed.

She has been hit FOUR ****ING TIMES since I bought her summer before last. While parked every time.

Parking way the hell away from other people is rule number one.

Doesn't work. I could park in an empty lot, and when I come out there are three vehicles around me.

Atlas
11-15-2012, 14:34
I always park far out into a parking-lot, away from other cars whenever possible. I've owned my truck for 7 years and have no door-dings.

I LOVE mini-vans.... for the mommys.

The rear doors on mini-vans slide rather than hinge.
That means that when mommy's little darling pile out at the mall. etc. they aren't throwing those doors open into whichever vehicle is parked in the next space.

guns54
11-15-2012, 14:44
I drive this:
I love her.

Parking way the hell away from other people is rule number one.Hi. I had a 66 super sport 396 tha i felt the same as you do about your car, I got it new and had it for about 10 years,and it only had 31000 miles on it. It looked like the day i got it. My wife took it to the store and got hit, even after it was fixed,It was not the same. So i sold it.

Hawkeye16
11-15-2012, 14:47
Personally I will never own another mustang. After owning a few other sports cars I came to realize just how cheaply they are made.

As for taking care of it, just wax 1-2 times a year, store over the winter in climate controlled garage (if your state uses salt on the roads) and wash when it gets dirty. Pretty simple actually.

DanaT
11-15-2012, 14:53
Personally I will never own another mustang. After owning a few other sports cars I came to realize just how cheaply they are made.

Oh no you didn't just go there.

Hawkeye16
11-15-2012, 14:57
I'm not allowed to my opinion here? I'll agree they used to be quality pre 90s but since then they have been crap.

DanaT
11-15-2012, 14:59
I'm not allowed to my opinion here? I'll agree they used to be quality pre 90s but since then they have been crap.

Did you recognize the special font i used?

Hawkeye16
11-15-2012, 15:14
Doesn't show up on my phone. Like most of the animated gifs. All I get are smileys. Still wondering what the patriot looks like

DanaT
11-15-2012, 15:20
Doesn't show up on my phone. Like most of the animated gifs. All I get are smileys. Still wondering what the patriot looks like

It was the sarcasm font. You have to download it and install it. Once you do that, you will easily be able to see posts written in that font.

certifiedfunds
11-15-2012, 15:30
It was the sarcasm font. You have to download it and install it. Once you do that, you will easily be able to see posts written in that font.

Or you can order the special glasses