Brother in law in motorcycle accident last night [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Brother in law in motorcycle accident last night

rgb03
11-12-2012, 12:47
Feel pretty s***ty right now. He crashed his bike last night and wasnt wearing a helmet but had it strapped to the bike. Makes a lot of sence right.

As of last night and today he is in a medically induced coma. He has a lacerated scalp and is bleeding around the brain and looks like he may have a bloody bruse on the brain. He has a bolt in his head to monitor pressure around his brain.

The neurological surgeon said as of right now there is a less then 50% chance of having to operate and everything seems to be normal for ths type of injury and he should recover fully.

Now to why I feel s***ty about this whole thing. My bil has been unemployed and living in my basement for alittle over a year now. He has always been there to help me do things when I asked. But lately I have been feeling like he was a non contributing family member and just thought it was time for him to move on.

Now in light of this accident and realizing how fragile life is I feel like a piece of s**t for being so petty. God I hope he recovers fully and we can mend any difference we may have. I have always loved him but didn't realize how much until last night.

I called out of work today and tomarow. The coordinator told me not to worry and do what I needed to do. Now while I like taking off I don't like to call out as this screws up are schedule. So I called the big cheese to apologize and let him know what was up. The best he could come up with was to do what I needed to do and I could help make it by working some saturadays or something. What a *******ing a**hole.

Sorry for rambling people just needed to vent.

ked
11-12-2012, 12:59
1st, i hope things go well with his recovery.
2nd, your feelings, if warranted, have no bearing on the accident. it was an accident and HE decided not to wear his helmet.
3rd, life IS fragile. it is good to guard your heart and words, and remember to forgive quickly. good luck on mending the fences.

ked

Baba Louie
11-12-2012, 13:03
God I hope he recovers fully and we can mend any difference we may have. I have always loved him but didn't realize how much until last night.rgb, Prayers for your BIL and family. Hope he pulls thru relatively unscathed as he fully recovers.

Any chance of repairing his bike as your own form of therapy?

Sharkey
11-12-2012, 13:05
1st, i hope things go well with his recovery.
2nd, your feelings, if warranted, have no bearing on the accident. it was an accident and HE decided not to wear his helmet.
3rd, life IS fragile. it is good to guard your heart and words, and remember to forgive quickly. good luck on mending the fences.

ked

Well said.

Also, If he was responsible enough to contribute to the family, he'd probably be responsible enough to take precautions when riding. Sadly, we often times contribute to our own demise.

Berto
11-12-2012, 13:09
I hope he recovers fully.

Gareth68
11-12-2012, 13:12
I hate helmet laws.

I also wouldn't hardly ride without one.

I loved being able to slip off the helmet and hang it on the mirror on stop and go city traffic, such as at the beach where you move 5 feet at a time.

As soon as we were moving normally it was back on my head strapped.

Here is hoping for a speedy recovery.

rgb03
11-12-2012, 13:24
Thanks guys.

What's even more crazy for me is we were all going to a eagles game and I decided not to go due to fighting with the wife. So if I would have went he wouldn't have been driving. He wasn't drinking and actually drove my friend home in my friends truck because my friend had been drinking. The accident happened about 8 houses up from my friends house. He didn't see it but said he heard his bike rev pretty loud and is sounded like he may have missed a gear or something. The next thing he heard was the bike hitting the ground and sliding across the street. So he was first on the scene and apparently it wasn't to pretty.

Thanks to the local pd and fd that left the pile of bloody clothes for me to pick threw and get his personals out. At least they offered me gloves.:steamed:

Detectorist
11-12-2012, 14:05
Repeat after me: "It was not my fault"
Do that 1,000 times. You have nothing to feel guilty about.

There was an ad in a motorcycle magazine years ago trying to encourage riders to use a helmet. It read:

"Wayne Rainey wears a helmet when riding the streets. Are you as good as he is?"

That ad rung so true.....

Gallium
11-12-2012, 14:06
I hope he recovers, and you have a chance to normalize your relationship.

Adult decisions have sometimes have painful and deadly consequences. I hope he has the intestinal fortitude to live with his. The biggest problem is not him living with it, it's all the other people in our lives that also have to deal with the messes we create.

Bruce M
11-12-2012, 14:07
Hoping he recovers quickly and fully.

rgb03
11-12-2012, 16:30
rgb, Prayers for your BIL and family. Hope he pulls thru relatively unscathed as he fully recovers.

Any chance of repairing his bike as your own form of therapy?

Thank you.
This has crossed my mind. Just got of the phone with my friend that he was with and who has the bike in his yard. He tells me the damage is not that bad. A small crack on the front fearing and some road rash down the side. I am sure it will be a good idea to have it looked at by a professional to make sure nothing is bent that can't be seen. But right now we are not to worried about the bike.

Hopefully everything turns out good. If he decides to get back on the bike I know someone will be getting a helmet that fits correctly for Christmas. Then there will be no excuses for not wearing one.

rgb03
11-12-2012, 16:42
Damn double tap

deputy tom
11-12-2012, 16:56
Prayers sent. tom.

CBennett
11-12-2012, 17:40
Prayers sent... Stuff like this is why I dont ride anymore. Just too dangerous.

janice6
11-12-2012, 17:43
We, each of us, make our own decisions. Others only have opinions.

CitizenOfDreams
11-12-2012, 17:47
May your brother-in-law fully recover and get back to enjoying motorcycles. And hopefully this thread will change the mind of some of those who ride without protective gear.

F14Scott
11-12-2012, 18:27
Risk is fun. Sometimes, it bites you in the ass, though.

Hope he recovers quickly.

*ASH*
11-12-2012, 18:31
dont feel bad about all the other stuff just because he got hurt , to many people knee jerk upon these times. just because he got hurt dont make him any less a leech . but i do hope he recovers and you can feel better

TK-421
11-12-2012, 18:51
This is exactly the reason why I plan on always wearing a helmet and as much riding gear as I can handle. Really hope your BIL recovers fully, and hopefully he starts always wearing his helmet from now on.

SMOKEin
11-12-2012, 19:06
Hope he comes out with a full recovery.

rgb03
11-12-2012, 20:34
I'm not one to preach and did my share of blasting around on quads without a helmet. But if he was wearing a helmet he most likely would have gotten up and walked away. While i am sure that he would still be in pain. The most he would be worried about today was the damage to his bike. He was wearing a leather riding jacket. The only damage to his body was some light road rash on his knees.

Thanks for the well wishes guys.

larry_minn
11-12-2012, 20:35
Your BIL made his choices. You helped him out for a yr. Thats plenty of help for a family member. You are not responsible for his life. He fell on hard times/you helped/ it was time for him to move on. (past time)
I hope he recovers soon. Don't beat yourself up.