Let the gouging begin [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Let the gouging begin

eric1
11-12-2012, 18:20
Went into my LGS to look at AR's with my brother, he wants one to hunt Coyote's. Looked at the S&W M&P OR for a base build. They were asking $1,399!:wow: This is normally an $850 gun. I know they can charge whatever they want but that seems a tad excessive.

Matthew Courtney
11-12-2012, 18:25
If there is a local ffl who will recieve firearms, you can get one from buds for 873+ fees.

smokin762
11-12-2012, 18:35
I took a half day vacation last Friday. After work, I stopped by Wal-Mart. They were just about out of all ammunition but they did have a few ARís in the display. They even had a Colt in the display, it was around $950.00 or something close to that.

The LGS, all the shelves and displays were empty. I asked the guy is they were going out of business. He told me, the day after the election they sold out of everything.

This past weekend, I went to the Gun Show. The place was packed. I took a handgun that I didnít like and thought I would walk it around. I had six hits on it. The dealers tried low balling me. I sold it to the seventh guy who was happy to buy it from me. This was within the first 20 minutes of getting inside the door.

Supply and demand. :whistling:

Cole125
11-12-2012, 18:52
Not surprising and it will only get worse. One thing for certain, there are lots of hoarders out there!

GAFinch
11-12-2012, 19:00
People really need to realize that any new ban won't be done via Congress and won't, therefore, exempt previously-owned guns. If you need one to fill a needed gap, fine, but don't waste your money buying extra ones. Having said that - the panic, of course, is here to stay.

Matthew Courtney
11-12-2012, 19:13
People really need to realize that any new ban won't be done via Congress and won't, therefore, exempt previously-owned guns. If you need one to fill a needed gap, fine, but don't waste your money buying extra ones. Having said that - the panic, of course, is here to stay.

The worst thing POTUS can do is declare that semi auto rifles have no sporting purpose and classify them as destructive devices, requiring registration and preventing import. New semi auto rifles would then require a $200 tax stamp.

The classification as destructive devices could be challenged in court and might be overturned.

An out right ban requiring confiscation would have no basis in law, would very likely be overturned, and even if upheld would require that the feds pay current market prices for the guns that they take, so "wasting money" is not an accurate description. Wasting time and effort may be, if one is the type to turn it in and make the best of being enslaved.

vettely
11-12-2012, 19:20
Not surprising and it will only get worse. One thing for certain, there are lots of hoarders out there!
Guilty here.

Sat. I got a Sig M400 with all magpul furniture and a super nice nylon case at Walmart for $917. A very good deal.

boomhower
11-12-2012, 21:23
If your really worried stock up on mags as that's the only thing I can see him even having a chance at getting passed. An AWB isn't getting through congress. Give it a month or two and it'll calm down.

GAFinch
11-12-2012, 21:34
The worst thing POTUS can do is declare that semi auto rifles have no sporting purpose and classify them as destructive devices, requiring registration and preventing import. New semi auto rifles would then require a $200 tax stamp.

The classification as destructive devices could be challenged in court and might be overturned.

An out right ban requiring confiscation would have no basis in law, would very likely be overturned, and even if upheld would require that the feds pay current market prices for the guns that they take, so "wasting money" is not an accurate description. Wasting time and effort may be, if one is the type to turn it in and make the best of being enslaved.

You're forgetting about the SCOTUS. The current minority believe that individuals have no right to own guns. Even for the tiny minority of people who would actually not turn in their guns, they would only likely need 1 gun (and possibly 1 handgun) per person. Sadly, history just doesn't favor societies successfully resisting gun grabs...men get tied down to their wives and children. I hope I'm wrong, but I guess we'll find out.

lawman800
11-12-2012, 23:08
Oh well, all my guns were lost in that tragic boating fire accident... got nothing to turn in.

TangoFoxtrot
11-13-2012, 04:28
Yeah same here. I think my ex-wife took them all.

sappy13
11-13-2012, 11:59
I almost went to a gunshow last weekend that was in town. Then i remembered what the shows were like after obama got elected the first time...so needless to say i saved my 15 bucks and skipped it

Chuck TX
11-13-2012, 13:35
It never fails. Do you think it's as much of a frenzy as 2008?

Oh well, all my guns were lost in that tragic boating fire accident... got nothing to turn in.

Yeah me too. I took my safe duck hunting and my dog tipped the boat over.

PlasticGuy
11-13-2012, 14:41
I don't think it's quite as bad as 2008, but it's close. Distributors at getting pretty light on product, and prices at the distributor level have already started climbing. Why have a sale on something you would sell anyway, and that will be hard to replace? I don't think we'll be seeing many good deals for a while.

TheExplorer
11-13-2012, 14:45
Same by me. People dropping thousands on ammo.

TheExplorer
11-13-2012, 14:46
It never fails. Do you think it's as much of a frenzy as 2008?

I think so, but I can't recall how long that "panic" lasted. The election is still fresh, so hopefully this madness will stop in a week or two.

Matthew Courtney
11-13-2012, 15:04
4 years ago sales remained elevated through the 2nd quarter of 2009.

blinz73
11-13-2012, 20:39
Guilty here.

Sat. I got a Sig M400 with all magpul furniture and a super nice nylon case at Walmart for $917. A very good deal.

Same here, but I choose the Colt 6920 for $1057.

Cole125
11-13-2012, 20:53
4 years ago sales remained elevated through the 2nd quarter of 2009.

This time the initial buying panic does not seem nearly as bad as last time, but I doubt the sales are going to go back down for a while, if ever until Obongo is out of office.

lawman800
11-13-2012, 21:04
This time the initial buying panic does not seem nearly as bad as last time, but I doubt the sales are going to go back down for a while, if ever until Obongo is out of office.

Might not be anything left to buy by then.:crying:

fuzzy03cls
11-14-2012, 08:43
I think at this point in America the gun culture is too big. Too many jobs depend on the gun industry. Any ban would be a very bad thing for the US economy & job market. Florida alone has at least 15 major gun parts makers.
This isn't gangster rap, gang banging, crack infested got my glock 9, bust a cap in your *** 1994.
Guns exploded after the ban expired & even more so after O's 1st term.

Given the history of 2nd term presidents he really has only 2 years to move on it. After that he really doesn't matter in the terms of the people or congress cause a new pres needs to be found. And
since the reps still control one aspect & given the other factors America wants fixed 1st, a gun run wouldn't make any sense.

M&P15T
11-14-2012, 09:06
The panic will last a few weeks....at best.

Calm down folks, the sky isn't falling.

Matthew Courtney
11-14-2012, 09:20
You're forgetting about the SCOTUS. The current minority believe that individuals have no right to own guns. Even for the tiny minority of people who would actually not turn in their guns, they would only likely need 1 gun (and possibly 1 handgun) per person. Sadly, history just doesn't favor societies successfully resisting gun grabs...men get tied down to their wives and children. I hope I'm wrong, but I guess we'll find out.

How am I forgetting about SCOTUS? Did you think I was refering to Judge Judy with the words "court" and "overturned"?

It is you who is forgetful. You seem to be forgetting the gun grab attempted at Lexington Green on April 19, 1775. Those men valued their wives and children enough to resist tyranny. Let's hope that this and future generations of American men treasure their wives and children enough to stand against evil in all of its pernicious forms.

GRIMLET
11-14-2012, 15:34
I went to the local Academy Sports last night. The had a few AR type rifles in .223. They also had 2 Sig style rifles. They had loads of ammo by the box and by the case.
Surprisingly, the prices had not gone up on any of it. What a shock.
The gun counter clerk said they had sold $60,000 so far this month in firearms and ammo.
The local manager must have seen thus coming and stocked the back room

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Warp
11-14-2012, 17:27

I live in the United States of America.

Perhaps you have heard of it?

Perhaps you are even familiar with the history of how it came to be?

As mentioned above, on April 19, 1775, when government forces attempted to seize arms and munitions, they were resisted.

Travclem
11-14-2012, 19:02
I live in the United States of America.

Perhaps you have heard of it?

Perhaps you are even familiar with the history of how it came to be?

As mentioned above, on April 19, 1775, when government forces attempted to seize arms and munitions, they were resisted.
Those men had 100x more balls than 99% of Amerika has today. This is a reality TV, man purse, welfare nation.

Warp
11-14-2012, 19:10
Those men had 100x more balls than 99% of Amerika has today. This is a reality TV, man purse, welfare nation.

Must be a Texas thing.

Travclem
11-14-2012, 19:24
Must be a Texas thing.
Texas didn't vote Obama into office.

Warp
11-14-2012, 19:38
nvm .

QNman
11-14-2012, 19:40

That's why I am in a selling mood. Gonna make me some cash on this, empty the safe except for a very few.

Warp
11-14-2012, 19:42

There won't be any new ban.

Travclem
11-14-2012, 19:55
There won't be any new ban.
You thought Obongo wouldn't get re-elected either.

Warp
11-14-2012, 19:59
You thought Obongo wouldn't get re-elected either.

Don't lie.

It reflects poorly on you.

Cole125
11-14-2012, 20:16
The panic will last a few weeks....at best.

Calm down folks, the sky isn't falling.

I sure as **** hope your right.

Travclem
11-14-2012, 20:17
.....NVM, had it backwards

Warp
11-14-2012, 20:20
.....NVM, had it backwards

I would be the guy who matter-of-factly stated that Hussein WOULD win.

Just as matter-of-factly as I have been stating...since 2008...that there won't be any bans.

Walter Bishop
11-17-2012, 10:08
There is no shortage of guns or ammo. I went to multiple stores in the past week and they were fully stocked with ARs and ammo. Some people sure seem to be trying to start another panic with all this talk. There is a zero chance that Congress will pass anything. Since the last go around there have been two landmark Supreme Court cases affirming the right of individuals to keep and bear arms. Also, Republicans control the House and pro-gun Senators are in the majority in the Senate. So nothing can be enacted. Period.

LL6
11-17-2012, 11:54
I think shortages are an area and store-based phenomenon. People claim no problem and others claim there are. I did my 9mm and 5.56 purchasing over a month ago at my LGS and their shelves were relatively normal. A friend sent me a cell pic a few days ago from a local Walmart and their shelves were bare.

lawman800
11-17-2012, 13:58
There is no shortage of guns or ammo. I went to multiple stores in the past week and they were fully stocked with ARs and ammo. Some people sure seem to be trying to start another panic with all this talk. There is a zero chance that Congress will pass anything. Since the last go around there have been two landmark Supreme Court cases affirming the right of individuals to keep and bear arms. Also, Republicans control the House and pro-gun Senators are in the majority in the Senate. So nothing can be enacted. Period.

I wouldn't bet on the Supreme Court though for long. Some of the conservative justices will be retiring in the next four years and we'll have the power shift the other way.

Besides, after the whole Obamacare decision, I don't put any faith in them being defenders of the Constitution.

Gunnut 45/454
11-18-2012, 10:12
Surf
Yep **** happens even to top dollar AR's! Some people understand this and don't buy AR's cause of the name on them. BCM sounds like they are taking care of the problem even though I think most AR manufactures would do the same.:supergrin:

WoodenPlank
11-18-2012, 10:48
Surf
Yep **** happens even to top dollar AR's! Some people understand this and don't buy AR's cause of the name on them. BCM sounds like they are taking care of the problem even though I think most AR manufactures would do the same.:supergrin:

...did you post this in the correct thread?

vettely
11-18-2012, 16:03
Sad but very, very true.

Warp
11-18-2012, 19:09

The chance is above zero.

It is still very low, though, IMO.