Night sight with laser? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Night sight with laser?

TommyOC
11-12-2012, 21:17
Hey guys, quick question here. I just got a lasermax off of a member here for a good deal. Wanted to try out a laser on my new glock, and plan on using it for a little practice at the range, but it is more that anything a home defense tool. However, I was wondering if you guys would recommend just the laser, a laser and front night sight with stock rear steel sight (Unlike most I like the stock rear since it's basically all I know), or laser with a full set of night sights (and get used to a 3 dot set up or whichever I buy)? Thoughts? Thanks guys! :thumbsup:

Walk Soft
11-12-2012, 21:20
They work fine together.I don't aim with the laser.It's just an after thought.
http://http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z433/lexibilly/SAM_0101.jpg

TommyOC
11-12-2012, 21:22
Nice pic! What sights are those? Trij?

TK-421
11-12-2012, 21:26
What is your honest opinion on laser sights? I'm thinking in a home defense situation. Is it realistic that you can aim via where the dot is, without even bothering to look down the sights? Like if I see a guy looting through my drawers, I tell him to stop, he reaches for something, and my laser dot is in the middle of his chest, am I likely to hit him somewhere in his chest?

Asking honestly, because I know 0 about laser sights, and if it's a good idea, and is actually useful, I might pick one up if I get a good deal on one. I'm thinking that if it actually works well, and the bullet goes where the dot is, more often than not, then it might be a decent accessory for me to consider.

TommyOC
11-12-2012, 21:29
I haven't shot it with the laser yet, and have only seen a few people do so with a laser (seemed accurate from my perspective). I got a uni-max micro, which is a fairly cheap laser which mounts on the accessory rail. You can easily adjust the laser's point of sight, so that's good IMO. I'm trying it out tomorrow at the range, so I will give you an update from my perspective tomorrow night.

sbmohr75
11-12-2012, 21:29
I would get night sights too. That way you would have a backup sight system if the laser failed in a self-defense situation.

TommyOC
11-12-2012, 21:37
I would get night sights too. That way you would have a backup sight system if the laser failed in a self-defense situation.

Great point, especially with how shotty tech can be these days. Would you recommend dual or front only? I was leaning towards front only since I like the stock rears, and they don't have a night sight that looks like the U

sbmohr75
11-12-2012, 22:29
Great point, especially with how shotty tech can be these days. Would you recommend dual or front only? I was leaning towards front only since I like the stock rears, and they don't have a night sight that looks like the U

If money is not a limiting factor, I would swap out the front and rear sights. That's just me though. But, if you really like the stock rear setup, just changing the front would be ok, especially if the glock points naturally for you. However, it would not be quite as accurate as a full set since you wouldn't be able to the rear U in the dark.

TK-421
11-12-2012, 22:33
I haven't shot it with the laser yet, and have only seen a few people do so with a laser (seemed accurate from my perspective). I got a uni-max micro, which is a fairly cheap laser which mounts on the accessory rail. You can easily adjust the laser's point of sight, so that's good IMO. I'm trying it out tomorrow at the range, so I will give you an update from my perspective tomorrow night.

Thanks, hope it goes well tomorrow. I'm just thinking that the act of pointing a dot at someone, and knowing that where the dot is is where the bullet will go means much faster target acquisition than it would be if you had to line up the sights. But I could be totally wrong, I don't know. Like I said, I have 0 knowledge about laser sights. But I hope I'm right, because it sure would be nice to have a laser sight that worked like I think they do, especially since it would be attached to my home defense gun, where the longest distance is probably 30 feet, if even that. But I don't know the distance for sure, never measured, I'm just guessing.

SCC
11-12-2012, 22:44
you need to get a white light aswell to see what you are going to shoot !!!

TommyOC
11-13-2012, 00:48
you need to get a white light aswell to see what you are going to shoot !!!

That's gonna be next to the bed right there with my g17 :) I'm aware of the importance of a flashlight for identifying a target (and a bright one at that in order to temporarily/hopefully blind the target). I'm asking for a nice one for Christmas :)

I think I'm gonna start with the front sight and a rear steel. If I don't like the setup, I will probably complete the setup

TK-421
11-13-2012, 00:57
Do they make handheld versions of the green tube lasers I've seen used where it almost makes the guy physically ill? I remember seeing it on Tactical to Practical I think it was, or some such show like that. At the time it was a decent sized tube, but I'm sure they've made it smaller and flashlight sized since then. I think that would be a good idea to have that in your hand, and a laser dot/flashlight combo mounted on the weapon. That way you illuminate him with the light to verify who he is, and use the green laser strobe thing on him to try and incapacitate him if he doesn't have a gun pointed at you.

I don't remember exactly what the thing was called, but apparently the green color, with the powerful light/laser (don't remember what it was), along with the strobe pattern basically overloaded the recipient's eyes, and he would basically give up without too much hassle.

TommyOC
11-13-2012, 01:06
Never heard of such a thing, but with how expensive lasers are as it is, something like that would probably carry an astronomical price point

TK-421
11-13-2012, 01:12
Never heard of such a thing, but with how expensive lasers are as it is, something like that would probably carry an astronomical price point

I don't remember if it was a laser or a green light. If I had to guess, I'd say a green light, because the tube was like an inch in diameter, and it was designed to be shined into people's eyes, and I figure a laser would do damage, which is what they're trying to avoid.

This is what I was thinking of, so maybe it actually is a laser. http://www.gizmag.com/dazer-laser-police-trials/15872/

Laser Energetics Dazer Laser In Action !!! - YouTube

TommyOC
11-13-2012, 01:20
According to the site, they are not available for retail. Wonder if this thing is actually effective or not?

TK-421
11-13-2012, 01:46
According to the site, they are not available for retail. Wonder if this thing is actually effective or not?

Yeah, I saw that they're not available for retail, apparently they're still in testing modes, and not yet ready for wide-spread production. But, like I thought, they got them down in size. The one I remember from the tv show was like a foot and a half long and an inch or so in diameter. It was big and bulky, but prototypes usually are.

And I personally think they'd be really effective. Just wait until it's dark in your house, let your eyes adjust to the darkness, and then shine a bright flashlight into your eyes, wave it around a bit and turn it on and off rapidly a few times. Now try and fight somebody while that light is flashing in your eyes and you're doing everything you can to block the light and make it go away. It's basically the same principle, but I'm guessing they've picked a specific strobe pattern that it supposed to be most effective at blinding the person and making him nauseous and not wanting to fight anymore.