Should i dry-fire my glock before putting it away??? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Should i dry-fire my glock before putting it away???

Police305
11-13-2012, 03:09
I was wondering if it would be harmful to leave my triggers in the "ready" position for long periods of time???...or should I always dry-fire my Glocks before putting them away???

RacerRon
11-13-2012, 03:16
I was wondering if it would be harmful to leave my triggers in the "ready" position for long periods of time???...or should I always dry-fire my Glocks before putting them away???

No dry fire needed as the firing pin is not tensioned until you pull the trigger. When "cocked" the pin is actually resting against the pin safety block until you pull the trigger. The take up you feel is the pin being pulled back building spring tension.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Arc Angel
11-13-2012, 05:48
No dry fire needed as the firing pin is not tensioned until you pull the trigger. When "cocked" the pin is actually resting against the pin safety block until you pull the trigger. The take up you feel is the pin being pulled back building spring tension.

What planet are you from? :freak:

dhgeyer
11-13-2012, 06:04
Actually, with the gun in the "ready" state the striker spring is partially tensioned. The first, lighter, part of the trigger pull tensions it the rest of the way.

Leaving the spring partially tensioned will not hurt it. Dry firing it once or twice when you clean it will not hurt it. You're not going to harm the gun either way.

A couple of good reasons to go ahead and dry fire it:

1. The owner's manual calls for doing this to test the reset. This is one of several simple tests they specify as part of routine inspection. RTFM. Dry firing it that one time also assures you that you got it back together properly.

2. With the trigger pulled and not reset you can tell at a glance that the gun is not ready to fire. I don't know about anyone else, but I like having that instant information before I even touch the pistol the next time. Of course you still TREAT it as though it were ready to fire - standard disclaimer.

ChicagoZman
11-13-2012, 07:34
My 23 has been kept ready (when not being shot, cleaned or otherwise inspected) for twenty years without harm to trigger components.

poodleplumber
11-13-2012, 08:43
The striker spring is, as said above, under partial tension when cocked. Lots and lots of people keep Glocks loaded and chambered, necessarily cocked, for years at a time, and the springs last just fine.

So it seems to me it is owner preference. I don't see any harm to dry firing to de-cock, but it shouldn't be considered in any way necessary, and may well be of negligible benefit.

curlysir
11-13-2012, 08:45
2. With the trigger pulled and not reset you can tell at a glance that the gun is not ready to fire. I don't know about anyone else, but I like having that instant information before I even touch the pistol the next time. Of course you still TREAT it as though it were ready to fire - standard disclaimer.

:agree:

This is the reason I do it also. Just make sure it is unloaded before you do it.

alwaysshootin
11-13-2012, 09:19
All firearms, going into the safe, are dry fired, or hammers dropped. All firearms, not in safe, are loaded, and ready! Safety activated, where applicable.

SJ 40
11-13-2012, 10:34
All firearms, going into the safe, are dry fired, or hammers dropped. All firearms, not in safe, are loaded, and ready! Safety activated, where applicable.I use the same routine,it works. SJ 40

Arc Angel
11-13-2012, 10:53

It's NOT harmful. The spring that's most affected is the (FP) striker spring. This spring is designed to be under a minimum of (figures vary) 70% + extension pressure virtually all of the time.

If you're regularly maintaining your Glock, you will be changing out your striker spring every 12 to 18 months, anyway; and, as we all know, neither prolonged extension nor compression wears out a spring. Springs wear out from repeated use, not from being in a prolonged static state.

As far as, 'function testing your Glock'? I function test all of mine while I'm cleaning them, as well as immediately before loading one, too. Furthermore, of the things that more commonly go wrong with a Glock the striker spring isn't one of them. About the only time I'm ever genuinely concerned about a striker spring is when I'm changing the recoil spring.

On a Glock, recoil springs and striker springs should usually, but not always, be changed together.

Giggity-Giggity
11-13-2012, 10:56
I always keep my bedside G23 chambered and trigger at the ready.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/Gregdog/Pin%20Ups/DSCN2002.jpg

barres
11-13-2012, 13:02
For me I would be live-firing my Glock, as it is always kept ready for carry. YMMV.

Sid Nitzerglobin
11-13-2012, 13:10
Unless I read it wrong, the manual for my 17 Gen 4 seemed to indicate that you should dry fire prior to transport presumably as a safety measure (there's a reference to always having the trigger in the depressed position prior to and during transport).

I'm a noob so I have generally been following that routine so that I know it's "safe" when pulled from its case, same deal when practicing draw from holster at this point.

Is it overkill w/ a weapon I know is clear when put away? Given that no one else has access to this gun and I still do the clear check immediately after removing the pistol from the case, I imagine so.

Arc Angel
11-13-2012, 15:05
....... Is it overkill w/ a weapon I know is clear when put away? Given that no one else has access to this gun and I still do the clear check immediately after removing the pistol from the case, I imagine so.

No, it's not really overkill; to do otherwise would be to violate Cooper's First Rule Of Gun Safety: 'The Gun Is Always Loaded.' I understand what you're saying; but it can't be just a rule; in order for you to be genuinely safe, it has to be A HABIT. ;)

On the other hand, ....... because I know that my guns are always loaded I simply treat them that way ALL OF THE TIME, and don't make any extra work for myself.

Seale Team
11-13-2012, 19:45
I always keep my trigger in the rear position so I can tell at a glance if it is definitely not loaded versus perhaps loaded. I never keep my bedside gun charged.

Warp
11-13-2012, 19:48

This ^ is my only consideration on whether or not I dry fire a Glock (other than for disassembly)

ca survivor
11-14-2012, 06:40
All firearms, going into the safe, are dry fired, or hammers dropped. All firearms, not in safe, are loaded, and ready! Safety activated, where applicable.
this is what I do also and a light coat of gun oil on metal surfaces.