Newbie ? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Newbie ?

mijpa777
11-13-2012, 06:28
I posted this ? yesterday but for somereason can't find it? Anyways I have a friend that only deals with Berretta's and he swears by them.

I am real intrested in the PX4 storm in 9mm I did hold one at cabella's but it didnt feel good in my hand so i picked up a Glock 17 4th Gen and it felt great. I really like the PX4 with rotating barrel ,just makes sense to me for less recoil. { I know 9mm doesnt have much recoil}

My ? is now that GEn 4 has been out for awhile have they workked out the issues with them?

If i purchased the Glock or Berretta i would end up putting on Hogue grip even knowing gen 4 has different grip then gen 3. However i do like the back strap s and possible new spring lightens up recoil.

What do you think?

One last one I own pleanty of other guns none are Glocks i did read a post where man was holstering his glock and his holster caught the trigger safety and gun went off in his car, That sorta spooks me.

Thank in advace for any reply's

dango
11-13-2012, 08:35
Clocks do not shoot themselves , you must pull trigger! Your frriend needs some basic where not to put his finger !

poodleplumber
11-13-2012, 08:37
Beretta, Glock, and a long list of other firms all make quality handguns. You are allowed to pick what YOU like. Aint' it great?

FWIW, my daughter has a PX4 Compact and she really likes it. the rotating barrel does indeed make the low-recoil 9 mm cartridge shoot even softer. But if it doesn't fit your hand, you should move on.

Glock has been working on the Gen4 reliability issues for a while now. They seem to have tried several different things. Others have more expertise in the mechanics than I, so I will let them address those issues. My input on reliability is the observation that there are fewer complaints now than there were a few months ago. I personally wonder whether those still fussing have new issues or are still complaining about problems with pistols that they bought a while back. You should be aware that pistols can sometimes be in the supply pipeline for quite a while, so don't assume that a pistol that you are considering is of recent manufacture; check the serial number, parts, etc.

Regarding the safety issue you brought up: I saw the reports on that incident, as well. The holster was in terrible shape. The trigger snagged on a flap of the holster that was so flimsy that it flopped inside the trigger guard. Glocks are safe when handled properly, and proper handling includes proper maintenance and replacement of accessories. The case is often made that the Glock trigger system, sans thumb safety, makes them more susceptible to discharge when mishandled, but the key point to me is that they have to be mishandled to have an accident. Learn and follow good handling techniques, and don't be cheap about such things as holsters, and you will be fine if a Glock is what suits you in other ways.

mijpa777
11-13-2012, 08:55
Beretta, Glock, and a long list of other firms all make quality handguns. You are allowed to pick what YOU like. Aint' it great?

FWIW, my daughter has a PX4 Compact and she really likes it. the rotating barrel does indeed make the low-recoil 9 mm cartridge shoot even softer. But if it doesn't fit your hand, you should move on.

Glock has been working on the Gen4 reliability issues for a while now. They seem to have tried several different things. Others have more expertise in the mechanics than I, so I will let them address those issues. My input on reliability is the observation that there are fewer complaints now than there were a few months ago. I personally wonder whether those still fussing have new issues or are still complaining about problems with pistols that they bought a while back. You should be aware that pistols can sometimes be in the supply pipeline for quite a while, so don't assume that a pistol that you are considering is of recent manufacture; check the serial number, parts, etc.

Regarding the safety issue you brought up: I saw the reports on that incident, as well. The holster was in terrible shape. The trigger snagged on a flap of the holster that was so flimsy that it flopped inside the trigger guard. Glocks are safe when handled properly, and proper handling includes proper maintenance and replacement of accessories. The case is often made that the Glock trigger system, sans thumb safety, makes them more susceptible to discharge when mishandled, but the key point to me is that they have to be mishandled to have an accident. Learn and follow good handling techniques, and don't be cheap about such things as holsters, and you will be fine if a Glock is what suits you in other ways.

Thanks for the reply. I did forget to mention as you did regarding that story i read That holster was in terrible shape. I guess i will have to go back to store and hold the 3 gen 17 and the 4th gen 17 to see if the 4th gen is a tad smaller in the grip? Like i stated earlier i will end up putting on hogue grip so it will feel better for me.

bac1023
11-13-2012, 09:46
I actually prefer the PX4. I have one in 40S&W and love it.

21GlockStreet
11-13-2012, 12:24
I own Glocks and I own a Beretta 8040 Cougar. The Cougar is a PX4 with an alloy frame. Aesthetically Beretta wins hands down in my opinion. The only thing about the rotating barrel is that you MUST grease the cam on the central block on which the barrel rotates. It's more maintenance than the Glocks. If you don't clean the Cougar after every use, the grease can become contaminated and eventually cause reliability problems. I still love the Cougar, grease and all. Cleaning is no problem to me;I do it on a regular basis even if I don't shoot the weapon.

mijpa777
11-13-2012, 12:30
I own Glocks and I own a Beretta 8040 Cougar. The Cougar is a PX4 with an alloy frame. Aesthetically Beretta wins hands down in my opinion. The only thing about the rotating barrel is that you MUST grease the cam on the central block on which the barrel rotates. It's more maintenance than the Glocks. If you don't clean the Cougar after every use, the grease can become contaminated and eventually cause reliability problems. I still love the Cougar, grease and all. Cleaning is no problem to me;I do it on a regular basis even if I don't shoot the weapon. You and Bac1023 are in agreement with my buddy who only deals with Berretta's he swears by them, he did bring me a PX4 with the hogue grip and it felt pretty good, for me it still felt like that 4th gen Glock 17 felt even better and more balanced, i'm sure their both fine firearms i'm leaning towards the Glock by a tad. I will have ot go back to store and hold them more see which one talks to me more :whistling: