3D PRINTED GLOCK 17, what do you think? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 3D PRINTED GLOCK 17, what do you think?

elijah58
11-13-2012, 12:27
Killed this thread, could come back to haunt me. ;)

33rdglock17
11-13-2012, 12:34
I think its awesome! but i bet the ATF will wonder if you have a manufacturing license....

elijah58
11-13-2012, 12:37
I think its awesome! but i bet the ATF will wonder if you have a manufacturing license....

You really think so, it's not an operable G17?

curlysir
11-13-2012, 12:55
Very interesting :wow:

Me likee:cool:

DPris
11-13-2012, 13:02
Of course it's not operational.
No 3D printer has the capability to create parts strong enough.
Toy model only. ATF couldn't care less.
Denis

serger
11-13-2012, 14:30
You don't need a manufacturing license if you making it for personal use. See item 9 of the linked PDF:

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/industry/0501-firearms-top-10-qas.pdf

Bren
11-13-2012, 14:40
You know, I'll bet accurate plastic models of Glocks with all the moving parts could sell for plenty. Call it a model kit, demonstrate it on a youtube video and then sell them on Ebay. I would not be surprised if they brought $200-300. Maybe more.

TheExplorer
11-13-2012, 14:43
That looks better than the real thing, not that that took much. I think you could definitely find a market for these with collectors and gun shops for displays.

ScottieG59
11-13-2012, 14:45
It sounds cool limited prototyping. I expect it is expensive to actually product these 3D things.

TK-421
11-13-2012, 14:55
I'd honestly be careful about making those, especially if the parts actually move. The ATF isn't exactly the smartest group in the bunch.

"With minimal work it could be converted to a machine gun," Crenshaw said.

http://www.koinlocal6.com/content/news/topstories/story/ATF-seizes-30-toy-guns-infuriating-local-business/vUVs2QUCAUuZWeRrqgIQaA.cspx

DPris
11-13-2012, 14:59
Even if, the first shot would blow it up.
There is no real structural integrity there.
Denis

cowboy1964
11-13-2012, 15:46
Pretty cool!

TK-421
11-13-2012, 15:50
Even if, the first shot would blow it up.
There is no real structural integrity there.
Denis

Did you read the article? The ATF doesn't care if there is any structural integrity or not. :rofl:

I'm sure it could be made of the thinnest plastic possible, where it shatters if you squeeze it too hard. "Yeah, that's way too close to an actual firearm, it could easily be turned into a working machine pistol, we'll have to confiscate these and destroy them." :faint:

DPris
11-13-2012, 16:28
I would not worry any more about ATF's interest in that 3D "printout" than I would in manufacturing a blank-firing starter pistol. Less, in fact.
Or a non-firing dummy pistol, which there are thousands of running loose on the streets today. Bought & sold daily.
Non issue in this case.
Denis

Bruce M
11-13-2012, 16:38
Notwithstanding the ATF debate, that is very cool.

33rdglock17
11-13-2012, 19:22
I'd honestly be careful about making those, especially if the parts actually move. The ATF isn't exactly the smartest group in the bunch.

http://www.koinlocal6.com/content/news/topstories/story/ATF-seizes-30-toy-guns-infuriating-local-business/vUVs2QUCAUuZWeRrqgIQaA.cspx

Yea that's my point. I think it's ridiculous but they aren't the smartest bunch.... I'd rather be cautious. Plus I think somebody was printing AR-15 receivers and got their machine confiscated

NCHeel
11-13-2012, 19:30
Did you read the article? The ATF doesn't care if there is any structural integrity or not. :rofl:

I'm sure it could be made of the thinnest plastic possible, where it shatters if you squeeze it too hard. "Yeah, that's way too close to an actual firearm, it could easily be turned into a working machine pistol, we'll have to confiscate these and destroy them." :faint:Did you read the article yourself? The story is sensationalized to make people scared and the ATF agent says the airsoft guns can easily be retrofitted but when you get to the end of the story they give you the legal grounds on which they seized the shipment was imported toy guns are required to have the blaze orange tip.

TK-421
11-13-2012, 19:36
Did you read the article yourself? The story is sensationalized to make people scared and the ATF agent says the airsoft guns can easily be retrofitted but when you get to the end of the story they give you the legal grounds on which they seized the shipment was imported toy guns are required to have the blaze orange tip.

The Martins said they've received shipments before from Taiwan that were missing the orange tips and were simply asked by customs agents to drive up to Tacoma and paint the tips orange themselves. They are wondering why it is an issue now.

If it wasn't an issue before, why is it an issue now? Also, the reason they were confiscated is because they believe they can easily be converted into functioning firearms, which is bull****. They just gave the orange tip reason as an excuse to get away with confiscating the firearms. If the tips had been painted orange, then the ATF still would've confiscated them.

And yes, the article may be sensationalized to scare uninformed people, but that's not my point. My point is that the ATF agents really were stupid enough to state the reason why they were seized was because they could be converted into working firearms. And if they're that stupid, then they'll believe anything, and word it in a way that allows them to do it.

TexasPOff
11-13-2012, 21:31
Now the real question is will it through spit wads to the forehead....:rofl: TXPO

11-13-2012, 22:28
don't forget to print out mags and ammo for it :supergrin:

dhoomonyou
11-14-2012, 07:48
TSA will love it.

zodiacbw
11-14-2012, 09:48
Is that one of those ceramic Glocks that are undetectable?!?

</sarcasm>

ThinkMud
11-14-2012, 10:22
Sweet!!

SCC
11-14-2012, 12:08
I would not worry any more about ATF's interest in that 3D "printout" than I would in manufacturing a blank-firing starter pistol. Less, in fact.
Or a non-firing dummy pistol, which there are thousands of running loose on the streets today. Bought & sold daily.
Non issue in this case.
Denis
you will have to pay for the rights to make a dummy gun ..

tacticalG23
11-14-2012, 13:40
Did it properly scan and print the patent number? :whistling:

Yzerman
11-14-2012, 17:29
upload the file :0

ChiefWPD
11-15-2012, 08:14
Seriously, if these were fully functional non-working models they'd be great training aids. I'd love one in a non-firearm color (yellow?).

Very interesting.

M 7
11-15-2012, 12:22
Give the technology time to mature and it might just yield some pretty impressive results. It'd be kind of cool to go order a gun at your favorite gun shop and wait while it is manufactured to your specifications.

TRX450R_Racer
11-16-2012, 05:11
Glock is going to sue you. :tongueout: :rofl:

Paul53
11-16-2012, 17:23
Can you print out an extractor that fixes the BTF?

Opie 1 Kenopie
11-16-2012, 22:03
Can you print out a single stack 9mm so all the crybabies will shut up about Glock not making one?!?!!

How about a carbine? :rofl:

elijah58
11-17-2012, 03:57
Can you print out a single stack 9mm so all the crybabies will shut up about Glock not making one?!?!!

How about a carbine? :rofl:

I wish it would have been a G18!
Eli

mike from philly
11-17-2012, 07:04
Can you give us details about the printer (make and model) and what it costs in supplies to make that? I'd really like to get one to make gun molds for holster making.

elijah58
11-17-2012, 07:46
Can you give us details about the printer (make and model) and what it costs in supplies to make that? I'd really like to get one to make gun molds for holster making.

I work for a R & D company and we have a stratasys FDN machine which will make parts up to 16x24 inches. The cost of this machine was over 100K, also you will need a program such as solidworks or autocad inventor to design the 3d model. Then you just save the file as an .stl and print like normal. It prints one full layer across the substrate and then the printing plate indexes down the width of the plastic coming out of the nozzle (which is about .5mm) and continues this until finished. It calculates and builds it's own support system out of another plastic material that will wash away in a caustic solution. There are smaller desktop models out and from what I have seen lately there are some on eBay pretty cheap. Just search "3D Printer"

Eli

jbailey8
11-17-2012, 09:09
TSA will love it.Exactly my thoughts. Imagine the look on TSAs face when they realize that a gun is in this guys carry on bag. "No no, is just a 3D model!" (As he reaches for it and gets tackled to the ground)

M 7
11-17-2012, 12:18
I work for a R & D company and we have a stratasys FDN machine which will make parts up to 16x24 inches. The cost of this machine was over 100K, also you will need a program such as solidworks or autocad inventor to design the 3d model. Then you just save the file as an .stl and print like normal. It prints one full layer across the substrate and then the printing plate indexes down the width of the plastic coming out of the nozzle (which is about .5mm) and continues this until finished. It calculates and builds it's own support system out of another plastic material that will wash away in a caustic solution. There are smaller desktop models out and from what I have seen lately there are some on eBay pretty cheap. Just search "3D Printer"

Eli

I take it that the polymers being used so far are far from having the physical properties (tensile & compressive strength, thermal properties, etc) necessary to build a viable firearm frame/components?

DPris
11-17-2012, 18:39
Very.
Denis

elijah58
11-18-2012, 06:31
I take it that the polymers being used so far are far from having the physical properties (tensile & compressive strength, thermal properties, etc) necessary to build a viable firearm frame/components?

Yes, the material is abs, and I would never try to fire it as i feel it would explode, neither will it ever be able to fire just for that reason. Although the grip on this one feels awesome. I put it together this weekend and the slide fits great, also tried another G17 slide and it fit perfectly. Other than it being a little shiny it looks just like the real thing. The smaller parts have to be filed a little to get the right fit, it is nice to have just to play with.:supergrin:

ggarciatx
11-18-2012, 09:08
is it going to come with our without the "pig nose"? :supergrin:
Cool toy you got there.