Primer/Flash hole question... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Primer/Flash hole question...

XshooterX
11-13-2012, 12:58
I started having a problem on my LCT where the primer lever wasn't being engaged soon enough, causing the top of the primer to get caught on the bottom of the shell holder. I remedied this problem but before I did, I checked a round after seating the primer and noticed that part of the anvil was bent over and forced through the flash hole upon seating. Seat depth is good, but about 1/4 of the flash hole is obscured now. I caught this one, but I'm assuming some others ended up this way as well. My question is, are these safe to shoot? Will it just cause a possible misfire, or drop in accuracy because of off-balance combustion? Or is it dangerous for some reason like excessive pressure in the primer pocket or something else? Anybody had this happen before? Thanks...

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

SJ 40
11-13-2012, 13:22
I maybe miss understanding you,I think what you are seeing is a flash hole flap or burr, caused by the process of case manufacture and punching the flash hole.
Accuracy rifle and bench rest shooters will de burr the flash holes in their cases.
To have a leg of the anvil go through the flash hole would be like one in fifteen billion or more and if that were the case I would run out and by a lottery ticket,it just maybe your lucky day. SJ 40

XshooterX
11-13-2012, 14:02
Well now this is a huge curiosity thing. I'm gonna pull these and see if it is in fact a burr or part of the anvil. I could use a few million dollars :) ill try to get them pulled tonight and hopefully we'll have an answer. Thanks for the input SJ

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

rdstrain49
11-13-2012, 14:05
If you have indeed blocked the flash hole, the most likely result will be fail to fire and the spent primer backing out of the pocket, perhaps even coming all the way out. That being said, I agree with SJ 40, what you are probably seeing is a flash hole burr. Look at some of your unloaded cases. Perhaps you will see a similar "thing" in/around the flash hole.