G30 9 rd. magazine [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : G30 9 rd. magazine

Consort
11-13-2012, 15:37
Is there that much of a difference between the 9 rd and 10 rd G30 magazines for concealed carry?? Just having a hard time believing that one round makes that much difference in ease/comfort of carry.

DocWills
11-13-2012, 15:49
It does, it should be the stock mag on the gun.

Cali-Glock
11-13-2012, 16:46
I was suprized - it makes a real difference. I carry with a 9 round mag, and a 13 round g21 mag in my support side pocket.

Bruce M
11-13-2012, 16:50
I find it to be a fairly noticeable difference. After well more than a year I still cannot get the ninth round in though.

diamondd2
11-13-2012, 17:20
I just hate the way that 10rd mag looks. The 9rd mag should be the one it comes with.

fran m
11-13-2012, 19:21
I have a Glock made 9 round mag. It didn't come with the gun but is factory. Makes it easier to conceal.

banger
11-13-2012, 19:53
In the "old days" the Glock 30 came with one of each.

lyodbraun
11-13-2012, 20:22
I carry the 10 round mag in mine and it works just fine, I get a better grip with the 10 round mag also, I have a couple 9 round mags and use them at the range..

PattonT
11-13-2012, 21:56
It does, it should be the stock mag on the gun.
Yes it should be, the best $22 I ever spent.

PM720
11-13-2012, 22:27
I find it to be a fairly noticeable difference. After well more than a year I still cannot get the ninth round in though.

Bruce, mine was like that along with a couple of the ten rounders until I disassembled then and cleaned all the extra molding flash from around the base. Just scrape around in there with a sharp knife and I think you will be surprised. :supergrin:

Scott

Consort
11-15-2012, 08:45
Based upon feedback from this thread I purchased two 9 rd. magazines for my G30 to use for concealed carry. (standard 10 rounders are now relegated to range use along with one 13 round). Upon delivery, I couldn't fit all 9 rounds in. I took the previous suggestion and disassembled the magazine, cleaned the plastic flashing out, did a v-e-r-y light sandiing, and reassembled. Still can only get 8 rounds in. Any other tips, tricks, or suggestions ?? You are all correct about the 9 rounders making the weapon much easier to conceal.

attrapereves
11-15-2012, 11:14
Based upon feedback from this thread I purchased two 9 rd. magazines for my G30 to use for concealed carry. (standard 10 rounders are now relegated to range use along with one 13 round). Upon delivery, I couldn't fit all 9 rounds in. I took the previous suggestion and disassembled the magazine, cleaned the plastic flashing out, did a v-e-r-y light sandiing, and reassembled. Still can only get 8 rounds in. Any other tips, tricks, or suggestions ?? You are all correct about the 9 rounders making the weapon much easier to conceal.

For some reason the 45ACP Glock mags have really stiff springs compared to other calibers. Keep them loaded with 8 rounds for a few days and they should be easier to load in the 9th round. Also, use them at the range to loosen up the springs.

mo.glocker
11-15-2012, 12:44
for some reason the 45acp glock mags have really stiff springs compared to other calibers. Keep them loaded with 8 rounds for a few days and they should be easier to load in the 9th round. Also, use them at the range to loosen up the springs.
lulaloader.

Consort
11-15-2012, 14:54
Tried the Lula Loader, too. Works wonderfully on everything else. Still can only load 8. Guess I'll just have to throw a thousand-or-so rounds down range and wait for the spring to get a little weaker.

GeorgieBoy
11-15-2012, 15:05
Based on previous threads on the subject, I was prepared for some work when my new Gen 3 G30SF arrived a month ago. It came with two 10rd mags, of course. Already convinced that the best CCW option for me was the 9rd mags, I immediately purchased two and started mag “training” right away.

In the beginning …using finger force I could only get 8rds in the 9rd mags, and 9rds in the 10rd mags. I loaded all four mags that way, and for a week each evening I unloaded and reloaded all four. Still no amount of finger force or the GLOCK mag loader enabled loading that ninth round or of the tenth round in the larger mag.

I went to the range at the end of that first week and gave the gun and both downloaded 9rd mags a workout of about 150rds including 185gr, 200gr+P, and 230gr ball. BTW the gun and mags worked flawlessly. I cleaned and lubed the gun, and was able to disassemble only one of the two mags. It was cleaned and a silicon cloth applied.

The second week I continued the daily unloading and loading of all four mags. I began rotating them through the gun by inserting each with enough force to lock the mag in place under a closed slide. At some point in that second week, I was able to load the tenth round in both larger mags. With max finger pressure I was able to load the ninth round in one 9rd mag, but even with the GLOCK mag loader I was still not able to load the ninth round in the other one. In fact, I broke the GLOCK mag loader in the process.

At the end of the second week, I went to the range again and gave both 9rd mags, one full and one downloaded, another 100rd workout using 230gr ball. I cleaned and lubed the gun.

The third week I continued to load, unload, and rotate all four mags under a closed slide. About mid-week using finger force I was able to load the ninth round in the remaining 9rd mag and also disassemble/clean the remaining 9rd mag.

I’ve left all four mags fully loaded and continue rotating them under a closed slide. Another range workout is planned for this weekend.

My hand therapy sessions are just about complete and the stitches will come out next week …just kidding, of course. During the process my wife did overhear a few words that I haven’t used in her presence. I told her they were special technical terms from the Marine Corps. :whistling: