The White Sound Defense HRED Plunger Assembly appears to have fixed my Gen4 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : The White Sound Defense HRED Plunger Assembly appears to have fixed my Gen4

INEEDMILK
11-13-2012, 15:59
http://www.whitesounddefense.com/products/H.R.E.D.-9mm.html

I have been reading about this addition for a month or so. Some people reported that it offered only mild improvement in ejection trajectory, while others reported that it fixed their problems completely (people who subsequently decided not to order the APEX extractor). Because there seem to be so many differing problems with Gen4 ejection, and because there are apparently so many solutions, I am always skeptical of anyone who claims to have found the answer. However, I figured that if a $20 part can fix something that might be costing me upwards of $60 to fix, it was worth a shot.

Before I get into the present, I'll talk a little about the past: My Gen4 19 has over 6500 rounds through it. It came with the updated 043 RSA and 30274 ejector, so it never required any trip to the factory. I am still using the stock extractor (dipped, LCI) as well as all other stock internals. While I have never had any failure or malfunction, occasionally I have been hit in the head with ejected brass ("occasionally" meaning 1-2 per 100 rounds).

And before the purists come in here and start talking about limp-wristing and ammo selection, I want to point out that I have been shooting a variety of pistols, including earlier production Glocks, for many years with no ejection or extraction problems. I also want to illustrate that it wasn't specific to any type of ammo. I have shot almost every major brand through my Gen4 19, including Speer Lawman 115gr, Speed Lawman 147gr, Sellier & Bellot 115gr, Sellier & Bellot 147gr, MagTech 147gr, American Eagle 115gr, Federal Champion 115gr ("brown box" from Walmart), Winchester White Box 115gr, PMC Brass 115gr, Blazer Brass 115gr and Aguila 115gr. Even when shooting self-defense BJHPs with +P or +P+ loads, the shells would randomly fly out of the ejection port. The strength of the round was never the culprit.

I realize that this is not a huge deal, as I am happy so long as the gun is functioning as a gun, but I know that it is something unique to the most recent production of Glocks and is also a direct result of their use of MIM extractors. A different way of saying this is that this is not something I should have to deal with, especially when I have to deal with it because Glock is trying to shave a few cents off of their production costs. Additionally, "BTF", or Brass-To-The-Face, is a really good way to turn off a new shooter to Glocks, or even shooting in general. Do you want to know how to make your girlfriend hate guns for the rest of her life? Have a hot piece of ejected brass land between her breasts during her first-ever trip to the range after you've spent two months telling her how fun and awesome it is.........

Last week I finally decided to throw caution to the wind and spend the $23 to see if it offered any improvement for me. Sunday night I did the quick install (NOTE: this sits backwards when compared to the stock OEM Extractor Depressor Plunger), and noticed that the extractor claw was very stiff afterward, almost as if it wouldn't be able to swing outward when the back of the casing slammed against the ejector.

Well yesterday I finally got to go to the range and test it. 200 rounds of S&B 115gr and every single one ejected STRONGLY between the 3 o'clock and 5 o'clock. I would even dare to say that it was too strong, as a guy in a stall next to me was getting hit with my brass (it was clearing the divider), but it's definitely better than having a shell dribble out of the ejection port or a shell popping straight back at your forehead.

So as of today I consider my ejection/extraction problems solved. Granted it's only been 200 rounds and things could still change, but I understand how the mechanism has improved and I don't see any way it could devolve from this point. Sure the brass is not as consistent as my 2009-production RTF2, but it is significantly improved from its stock state. If anyone is having ejection problems with their Gen4 9mms, I'd suggest trying this fix out before going down the APEX road.

Good luck.

JBP55
11-13-2012, 16:33
Post reads like a paperback.

Tap Tap
11-13-2012, 17:19
Cliffs

dr_hefley
11-13-2012, 17:21
Good to know. I don't own any Gen4 guns but some of my friends do.

firstg19
11-13-2012, 17:55
Cliffs

he had 1-2 rounds out of 100 that would hit him in the head. He bought the White Sound HRED (High Reliability Extractor Depressor) Plunger Assembly and shot 200 rounds and did not experience any brass to the face and stronger than normal ejection to the 3-5 position.

JBP55
11-13-2012, 18:17
he had 1-2 rounds out of 100 that would hit him in the head. He bought the White Sound HRED (High Reliability Extractor Depressor) Plunger Assembly and shot 200 rounds and did not experience any brass to the face and stronger than normal ejection to the 3-5 position.

I prefer the readers digest version you posted. :cool:

SJ 40
11-13-2012, 19:03
Good to know,some of us appreciate the book form it left no unanswered questions. SJ 40

JBP55
11-13-2012, 19:41
Good to know,some of us appreciate the book form it left no unanswered questions. SJ 40

I read hundreds of gun forum posts daily and I prefer them direct and to the point but we are all different.

Tap Tap
11-13-2012, 19:47
I prefer the readers digest version you posted. :cool:

Same here, excellent job.

TTex
11-14-2012, 06:38
I'm using it in my Gen 4 19 and I see an improvement, but I am looking at a new extractor (probably Apex) in conjunction with the HERD to completly cure the issue.

INEEDMILK
11-14-2012, 17:16
I'm using it in my Gen 4 19 and I see an improvement, but I am looking at a new extractor (probably Apex) in conjunction with the HERD to completly cure the issue.

What is the issue you think still needs to be cured?

Are you getting hit with brass still?

Comedian
11-15-2012, 02:56
Is it difficult to install?

INEEDMILK
11-15-2012, 03:38
Is it difficult to install?

Not at all. Took me about 30 seconds.

TTex
11-15-2012, 06:43
What is the issue you think still needs to be cured?

Are you getting hit with brass still?

My wife still gets hit with brass just not as bad. Last range visit she had a few brass hit her, but I only had one catch my right eyebrow. At this point the pistol would be acceptable for me, but since its the wife's I think I'll go for the best ejection pattern possible.
She will go and shoot with me a lot more if she doesnt have to contend with hot brass.

INEEDMILK
11-15-2012, 12:17
My wife still gets hit with brass just not as bad. Last range visit she had a few brass hit her, but I only had one catch my right eyebrow. At this point the pistol would be acceptable for me, but since its the wife's I think I'll go for the best ejection pattern possible.
She will go and shoot with me a lot more if she doesnt have to contend with hot brass.

Yea no kidding. I gave up trying to bring my girl with me after "the incident".

Good luck, and if you figure out another solution be sure to let us know.