Has Anybody Dealt With Colt Customer Service Lately [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Has Anybody Dealt With Colt Customer Service Lately

fusegsp
11-13-2012, 18:22
I bought a Colt LE6920 Sunday and have a problem with it and was wondering what I'm in for. I was cleaning the factory oil off and noticed the barrel has five or six rust spots on it. I'm not very happy. I looked the gun over before I bought it but couldn't see the rust since it was under the oil that was on the barrel. Hopefully they'll take care of me.

Travclem
11-13-2012, 18:46
They are notorious for having terrible civilian customer service. Though they might be trying to patch things up on account of losing the M4 contract. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

Personally, I'd just see if a little 0000 steel wool and some oil would take the rust off.

fusegsp
11-13-2012, 19:04
Personally, I'd just see if a little 0000 steel wool and some oil would take the rust off.Maybe I'll try that if Colt doesn't help out. I'll give them a chance first. I left out a big part of the story. I bought this gun at Wal-Mart. They don't even want to talk to me about it. They said their policy is no refunds / no returns. I knew that going in, but I thought they might at least deal with Colt for me and maybe ship it back for me. They said all they could do is reimburse me for the shipping back to Colt if Colt won't pay for it. We'll see. I'm calling Colt tomorrow.

Warp
11-13-2012, 19:11
They are notorious for having terrible civilian customer service. Though they might be trying to patch things up on account of losing the M4 contract. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

Personally, I'd just see if a little 0000 steel wool and some oil would take the rust off.

Is that so?

Please, elaborate.

Matthew Courtney
11-13-2012, 19:17
Degrease the barrel with simple green or brake parts cleaner and coat it with corrosion X.

Travclem
11-13-2012, 19:22
Is that so?

Please, elaborate.

At one time Remington had won the contract.
http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/remington-wins-army-m4-contract/

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2012/04/20/us-army-places-order-for-24000-m4-carbines-with-remington/

Upon further research:

Looks like no decisions have been made at this time due to Colt whining about it.
http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2012/10/01/m4-contract-protest-update-the-army-is-going-to-solicit-new-bids/

fusegsp
11-13-2012, 19:27
Degrease the barrel with simple green or brake parts cleaner and coat it with corrosion X.Does that stuff remove rust or just stop it's progress? I'd rather not send this gun back if I don't have to, but on the other hand I'm a freak about rust. Ever since I forgot an 870 in my trunk for a week and it came out a beautiful, matte, orange.

Warp
11-13-2012, 19:29
At one time Remington had won the contract.
http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/remington-wins-army-m4-contract/

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2012/04/20/us-army-places-order-for-24000-m4-carbines-with-remington/

Looks like no decisions have been made at this time due to Colt whining about it.
http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2012/10/01/m4-contract-protest-update-the-army-is-going-to-solicit-new-bids/

True or false: When Remington was awarded that contract, they hadn't actually won the bid (bid lower) once the royalty requirements were properly accounted for.

Travclem
11-13-2012, 19:35
True or false: When Remington was awarded that contract, they hadn't actually won the bid (bid lower) once the royalty requirements were properly accounted for.
I really don't know what you are getting at. I don't know the specifics as I do not work for the government, Colt, or Freedom Group. I said Remington won the contract just like the article says.

Do you have anything to add for the OP, or just feel the need for a little trolling.

Warp
11-13-2012, 19:36
I really don't know what you are getting at.

Do you have anything to add for the OP, or just feel the need for a little trolling.

Trolling? Is that what you did by bringing up the contract? (and not really getting it correct)

Matthew Courtney
11-13-2012, 19:38
Does that stuff remove rust or just stop it's progress? I'd rather not send this gun back if I don't have to, but on the other hand I'm a freak about rust. Ever since I forgot an 870 in my trunk for a week and it came out a beautiful, matte, orange.

It "kills" the rust with polar bonding. A few days after you treat the barrel, use a green scrub pad to polish the affected areas, then put a little more corrosion x on it. The polar bonding protects the metal even when the metal appears dry. It is the only thing that I have found that keeps my carry guns from rusting when I sweat on them.

Travclem
11-13-2012, 19:39
Trolling? Is that what you did by bringing up the contract? (and not really getting it correct)
No I was giving a reason that their customer service could possibly be on the rise.

But please, since you are stuck on it, give us the details oh Omnipotent one.

Warp
11-13-2012, 19:47
No I was giving a reason that their customer service could possibly be on the rise.

But please, since you are stuck on it, give us the details oh Omnipotent one.

I like how you immediately result to name calling.

It really makes your input worthy of serious consideration.

fusegsp
11-13-2012, 19:49
It "kills" the rust with polar bonding. A few days after you treat the barrel, use a green scrub pad to polish the affected areas, then put a little more corrosion x on it. The polar bonding protects the metal even when the metal appears dry. It is the only thing that I have found that keeps my carry guns from rusting when I sweat on them.Cool. I think the rust is minor enough that this is just the ticket. My nightmare scenario is sending a brand new gun away and being without it for months before I even get shoot it. Thanks for the info.

Travclem
11-13-2012, 19:52
I like how you immediately result to name calling.

It really makes your input worthy of serious consideration.
Name calling? It was a complement. Do you understand the meaning of the word? Still waiting on your input to on the topic.

Travclem
11-13-2012, 19:54
Cool. I think the rust is minor enough that this is just the ticket. My nightmare scenario is sending a brand new gun away and being without it for months before I even get shoot it. Thanks for the info.
I agree, nothing worse than having to send a new gun back.

Warp
11-13-2012, 19:54
There are links in this thread.

You may want to read them. ;)

Travclem
11-13-2012, 20:01
There are links in this thread.

You may want to read them. ;)
http://www.lolwut.com/layout/lolwut.jpg

bmoore
11-13-2012, 20:10
OP give liquid Froglube a try too. It took off some small surface rust spots on an heirloom 410 and wingmaster I have. It worked quite well actually. Neverdull used lightly may also work. I understand your frustration but it probably will not be big deal. Congrats on your rifle.

Warp
11-13-2012, 20:12
Froglube is great

LA_357SIG
11-13-2012, 20:21

Well, Colt's sole source manufacturing contract did expire. Haven't you noticed Colt's gradual shift to the civilian consumer market? Examples include the removal of the MIL/LEO use only stamping, M4 carbine stamping added, Magpul accessory models, sales in Walmart and non-LEO distributor networks. I seriously doubt any of this would have happened if their bread and butter gov't contract had not expired. The upcoming Florida manufacturing plant might mean cheaper costing Colts for civilian consumers with the absence of the UAW... or it may mean cheaper quality because of the lack of gov't inspector oversight and the fact that it is a shift to the civilian market.

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2009/07/army_carbine_070609w/

LA_357SIG
11-13-2012, 20:25
I bought a Colt LE6920 Sunday and have a problem with it and was wondering what I'm in for. I was cleaning the factory oil off and noticed the barrel has five or six rust spots on it. I'm not very happy. I looked the gun over before I bought it but couldn't see the rust since it was under the oil that was on the barrel. Hopefully they'll take care of me.

I would just lightly scrub it off with gun oil and a scotchbrite pad, then reoil. I doubt Colt will replace a barrel for a few rust spots. Even if they do take it back, it will be on your dime for shipping, and they will probably just buff it out and send it back to you.

fusegsp
11-13-2012, 20:38
I would just lightly scrub it off with gun oil and a scotchbrite pad, then reoil. I doubt Colt will replace a barrel for a few rust spots. Even if they do take it back, it will be on your dime for shipping, and they will probably just buff it out and send it back to you.I wasn't expecting them to replace it. Just maybe refinish it. Doesn't matter now I guess, I'm going to use some of the products mentioned in this thread and work it out. I did learn one thing though. That sign at Wal-Mart that says "All gun and ammunition sales are final," should also read, "...and don't ask us for even the tiniest bit of help if your gun has a defect. We don't care about your $1200 rifle, we have underwear to sell." :rofl:

WoodenPlank
11-13-2012, 21:23
If it's just surface rust (not horribly uncommon with parkerized barrels), then a rag with some decent gun oil on it should take it off quickly enough. If it's any kind of serious pitting, I would send it back to Colt regardless, as it cold be a sign of a bad parkerizing job.

glock031
11-13-2012, 21:31

You sure it's rust? The preservative Colt uses some times leaves stubborn brown stains that appear to be rust. They can be removed with a solvent type cleaner.

Rooster Rugburn
11-13-2012, 21:44
I really don't know what you are getting at. I don't know the specifics as I do not work for the government, Colt, or Freedom Group. I said Remington won the contract just like the article says.

Apparently Colt is sacred ground for the tribes, and when you had the audacity to mention another company winning the bit, it was like saying Colt lost the bid because they are crap guns or something. Especially on a thread with a topic of RUST on a brand new Colt barrel. I'm surprised the OP wasn't called a liar and adhomed until the thread was locked: but the night is young.

I think they are just easily upset and jump to any conclusion, right or wrong, and have to immediately go into defense mode.

ithaca_deerslayer
11-13-2012, 21:45
You sure it's rust? The preservative Colt uses some times leaves stubborn brown stains that appear to be rust. They can be removed with a solvent type cleaner.

Hopefully this is all it is.

But if it's not, at least you can be assured it is mil-spec rust :rofl:

Rooster Rugburn
11-13-2012, 21:52
Hopefully this is all it is.

But if it's not, at least you can be assured it is mil-spec rust :rofl:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

And like AR-15's, the military doesn't have specs for rust.

fusegsp
11-14-2012, 18:22
Well, I steel wooled the barrel today with some oil. It was rust and not factory preservative. It's still there but not as noticeable. It's not big enough of a deal to send back to Colt. I ordered some of the Corrosion X and will apply that when I get it. It looks good enough now that most people wouldn't notice it unless I pointed it out. Thanks to everyone for the help.

Travclem
11-14-2012, 18:46
Well, I steel wooled the barrel today with some oil. It was rust and not factory preservative. It's still there but not as noticeable. It's not big enough of a deal to send back to Colt. I ordered some of the Corrosion X and will apply that when I get it. It looks good enough now that most people wouldn't notice it unless I pointed it out. Thanks to everyone for the help.
Cool:cool:

owl6roll
11-14-2012, 19:28
It's meant to be a working rifle. Shoot it, don't look at it!

ScottieG59
11-15-2012, 03:38
I agree with those who say it is a tool meant to be used. I sent a weapon back to Colt, and it took months to get it back. It was a time Colt was not concerned with the civilian market.

I expect they issue with the rust spots may not be considered a flaw, but perhaps how it was stored.

It seems many of the weapons currently sold have been in storage a long time.

Some of my prized firearms are my everyday carry guns. They get holster wear and marks here and there. I maintain them as well as I can, but I understand, they will not be museum pieces.

It is sort of when you get a new car. When I was young, I went out of my way to keep my cars like new. Eventually, someone would door ding my car or crash a shopping cart into it. Once it is imperfect, I could stop worrying about the small things. Now, I use my vehicles and do not worry right from the dealership.

I would simply do the maintenance and cleaning regularly and use the weapon.