Bigmoney890 Finally finished his build?! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Bigmoney890 Finally finished his build?!

bigmoney890
11-13-2012, 19:48
You read it right, I've finally (with a lot of help from you guys) finished my gun. It took seven months and a lot of frustration as far as ordering parts goes, but the grand total, including shipping and fees was whopping $743.66.

All the parts were ordered from DSG Arms, Bravo Company, Palmetto State Armory, AR15hardware, and WoodenPlank. And here's the rundown:

Spike's Tactical Calico Jack Lower $103.90 shipped + $20.00 FFL Transfer
From DSGArms.com

Magpul Rear MBUS $39.99 shipped
From Palmetto State Armory

Palmetto State Armory MOE Lower Build $129.95
shipped
From PSA

Mil-spec Charging handle $14.99
Palmetto State Armory "Blem Upper" $49.95
PSA Ejection Port Assembly $5.99
PSA Forward Assist Assembly $12.95
Shipping from PSA for the above 4 items, $6.00

Carbine Length Gas Tube $13.00
Yankee Hill Machine Low Profile Gas Block $22.95
Standard A2 Flash Hider $8.00
Shipping from Bravo Company for the above 3 items, $7.95

CMT Full-Auto Bolt Carrier Group $115.00
Citadel 1:9" Twist M4 Barrel $95.00
Shipping from AR15Hardware for the above 2 items, $18.04

Troy VTAC 9" Battlerail (Slightly Used) $80.00 shipped
From WoodenPlank

All parts have been ordered and arrived except for the Troy rail, and that should be here thursday/friday. I'm dropping the gun off at a local gunsmith friday to check it over, and off to the range sunday! And will post pics up when I get the gun back!

Thanks to everyone who helped me in my build. I realize I could've saved some money ordering from different places and what not and that I got a less than top quality barrel, but for my purposes, it'll be just fine. :wavey:

WoodenPlank
11-13-2012, 20:02
Gonna have John bang everything together?

Travclem
11-13-2012, 20:06
Sounds like it's gonna be a good one!

bigmoney890
11-13-2012, 20:11
Gonna have John bang everything together?

Gonna get him to check everything and give it a stamp of approval.

Sounds like it's gonna be a good one!

And thanks, I hope so!

WoodenPlank
11-13-2012, 20:44
Needs a front sight post.

How the hell did you get a rear MBUS for $40?

Cole125
11-13-2012, 20:46
Congrats! :cool: Post pics ASAP

Couple tips;

1. Get your gas block pinned, thats a must IMO on low pro gas blocks.

2. Don't skimp on the optic, don't waste your money on the cheap junk. Shoot irons until you can save up for a Aimpoint Pro or decent 1-4x scope like a Burris Tac-30 or Leupold Mark AR.

bigmoney890
11-13-2012, 20:50
Needs a front sight post.

Well that's embarrassing :embarassed:

How the hell did you get a rear MBUS for $40?

On sale from PSA about three months back right before free shipping ended

Congrats! :cool: Post pics ASAP

Couple tips;

1. Get your gas block pinned, thats a must IMO on low pro gas blocks.

2. Don't skimp on the optic, don't waste your money on the cheap junk. Shoot irons until you can save up for a Aimpoint Pro or decent 1-4x scope like a Burris Tac-30 or Leupold Mark AR.

It's a set screw gas block and i'm going to get the barrel dimpled and locktite that ***** :rofl:

and i'm sticking with irons until I can get an Aimpoint PRO, but I might end up with a eotech 512 if amazon has them on sale again and i can snag one for under $300.

Cole125
11-13-2012, 21:03
It's a set screw gas block and i'm going to get the barrel dimpled and locktite that ***** :rofl:

and i'm sticking with irons until I can get an Aimpoint PRO, but I might end up with a eotech 512 if amazon has them on sale again and i can snag one for under $300.

Dimples for the set screws are probably enough to keep it secured, but in my opinion pinning is the best and most secure method. You can always get it done down the road, ADCO does it pretty cheap.

Right on, best thing you can do is save up for a Aimpoint Pro.

WoodenPlank
11-13-2012, 21:19
Dimples for the set screws are probably enough to keep it secured, but in my opinion pinning is the best and most secure method. You can always get it done down the road, ADCO does it pretty cheap.

Right on, best thing you can do is save up for a Aimpoint Pro.

While I agree that pinning it is best (although more expensive) the guy that would be doing the dimple job on Big's barrel is the same guy that did mine. Honestly, he's probably one of the best unknown AR-15 builders in the south-east, if not the entire US. The dude absolutely knows his ****.

faawrenchbndr
11-14-2012, 03:43

Very true for an exposed gas block. Dimpled & thread locked
will hold up for thousands of rounds.

Sounds lie a great build,......pics?

bigmoney890
11-14-2012, 07:01
Very true for an exposed gas block. Dimpled & thread locked
will hold up for thousands of rounds.

Sounds lie a great build,......pics?

Will have the finished product on thursday/friday depending on usps. But here is the almost finished gun

bigmoney890
11-15-2012, 22:19
Here's the finished product. Dropping it off with the gunsmith tomorrow to make sure everything is gtg

WoodenPlank
11-15-2012, 22:24
Looks good, dude!

Well, except for the missing front sight....

bigmoney890
11-15-2012, 22:26
Looks good, dude!

Well, except for the missing front sight....

I'm picking one up tomorrow at shooter's.

And thanks again plank!

WoodenPlank
11-15-2012, 22:28
I'm picking one up tomorrow at shooter's.

And thanks again plank!

Any time. Heads up, John's apparently pretty backed up at the moment.

Not that that is a surprise to anyone. He will be looking at my FUBAR'd bolt carrier next week if BCM doesn't take care of it (or doesn't have replacements on hand).

bigmoney890
11-15-2012, 22:33
Any time. Heads up, John's apparently pretty backed up at the moment.

Not that that is a surprise to anyone. He will be looking at my FUBAR'd bolt carrier next week if BCM doesn't take care of it (or doesn't have replacements on hand).

Well my work schedule has royally screwed me over this weekend, so I probably won't be able to pick my gun up until monday anyway. So no range report until next weekend.

WoodenPlank
11-15-2012, 22:34
Well my work schedule has royally screwed me over this weekend, so I probably won't be able to pick my gun up until monday anyway. So no range report until next weekend.

PM incoming...

Matthew Courtney
11-15-2012, 22:49
I'm no uber tactical AR builder or anything, and I am just spitballing here....... But wouldn't a front sight go a long way to utilizing the rifle for its intended purpose?

Seriously, looks,like you put a great rifle together on a skinny budget.

bigmoney890
11-15-2012, 22:56
I'm no uber tactical AR builder or anything, and I am just spitballing here....... But wouldn't a front sight go a long way to utilizing the rifle for its intended purpose?

:rofl: No, you're exactly right, in all my excitement in finally getting all the parts together I completely forgot to order one. I'm picking up whichever brand of front sight my LGS has in stock tomorrow when I drop it off.

And Mr. Courtney, I have some physics related questions. Could I PM you and pick your brain for a second?

WoodenPlank
11-15-2012, 23:19

He's just a dummy.

:whistling:

:rofl: No, you're exactly right, in all my excitement in finally getting all the parts together I completely forgot to order one. I'm picking up whichever brand of front sight my LGS has in stock tomorrow when I drop it off.

You can also grab an MBUS front from PA. Every time I've ordered from Marshall, I've gotten parts rather promptly.

bigmoney890
11-15-2012, 23:26
If Shooter's doesnt have any front sights, i'll go with PA. Hopefully they have some fixed DD sights. I really don't want to spend $100 on a troy front sight and I know they have a lot of Troy stuff.

WoodenPlank
11-15-2012, 23:30
If Shooter's doesnt have any front sights, i'll go with PA. Hopefully they have some fixed DD sights. I really don't want to spend $100 on a troy front sight and I know they have a lot of Troy stuff.

The Troy fixed sights are pretty reasonable on pricing, as I remember...

Just avoid YHM.

bigmoney890
11-15-2012, 23:33
The Troy fixed sights are pretty reasonable on pricing, as I remember...

Just avoid YHM.

Well hopefully they have something in stock for me. I'm still hoping on being able to hit the range sunday, it's the optimist in me :supergrin:

toddmog
11-16-2012, 01:05
I'd just order the front MBUS from PA...Marshall ships stupid fast. Last order I got tracking info 15 minutes after my order. Takes two days from TX to KS. I order from them every chance I get.

Also, it would match your rear sight. It would bother my OCD to have an MBUS rear with a different flip up front. That's just me though!

bigmoney890
11-16-2012, 12:19
Also, it would match your rear sight. It would bother my OCD to have an MBUS rear with a different flip up front. That's just me though!

I might just pick up a fixed rear sight also and just save the MBUS for when I get a scope/red dot.