Used Buckmark-slide binding [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Used Buckmark-slide binding

BamaTrooper
11-13-2012, 20:38
screws that hold the sight assembly in place are loose...too loose. This pistol has the split washers under the sight assembly. When I tighten them down, the slide binds. Is there a happy medium with this thing?

I have seen others, newer I suppose with assemblies that seem more solid and have "spider" washers that appear to sit inside the screw hole on top of the assembly.

Can I upgrade to that type sight assembly or maybe an aftermarket with a rail?

GSSF17
11-13-2012, 21:25
Mine has the spider washers, and I tighten the hex head screws down tight. Like, tight-tight. Something is wrong.....:dunno:

My guess is your top rail/sight rail is bent.....

BamaTrooper
11-14-2012, 09:06
Mine has the spider washers, and I tighten the hex head screws down tight. Like, tight-tight. Something is wrong.....:dunno:

My guess is your top rail/sight rail is bent.....

It also looks a little weaker than the newer ones. I might go aftermarket with a TacSol railed one and mount a little red dot on it.

sioux565
11-14-2012, 20:06
Something must not be right. I fired my dad's after it sat for 20 years and the slide was sticking. A thorough cleaning solved that problem.

GSSF17
11-15-2012, 07:44
As far as a "newer" part being better on the pistol, keep in mind my Buckmark is 18 years old. All original except for extractor, recoil spring and buffer plate. I stopped estimating at 12k rounds.

As far as it being weaker, I'd weigh an old vs new part before I am sold on that... a factory replacement sight rail is cheap:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/570757/browning-sight-mounting-base-browning-buck-mark-post-92-standard-and-plus-polymer-black

This rail is for the post 1992 pistols, and is polymer. Mine is aluminum.....
Just figure out how old yours is. There are some differences between the 1992 and later buckmarks as opposed to the pre '92. Good luck

bansheex
12-06-2012, 23:09
Try a very little dab of Blue loctite on the threads. Some use plumbers tape. I use the blue loctite, it works great. If you use to much, it will take a little heat to break it loose.

NailShooter
12-07-2012, 23:22
Is there clearance between the bottom of the slide and the top of the grip panels?

Nail

BamaTrooper
12-10-2012, 08:52
Is there clearance between the bottom of the slide and the top of the grip panels?

Nail

Yes.

Updating the problems, I still haven't taken it to the range but I think I have the screws at the correct setting. Tight enough that the sight assembly doesn't wobble and loose enough the slide doesn't bind.

I found out the gun was made in '89 if that means anything to anybody.

NailShooter
12-10-2012, 10:09
Yes.

....I think I have the screws at the correct setting. Tight enough that the sight assembly doesn't wobble and loose enough the slide doesn't bind.....

Bama, you seem to indicate that you have to "adjust" the two screws that hold the sight bridge to keep the slide from binding. Why don't you tighten/snug them down like they are meant to be and see if you can determine where the binding of the slide is taking place? If you tighten them down, does that lock up the slide and keep it from moving? Is the sight bridge bent? Maybe take it off and lay it on a flat surface to check.

Once you tighten down the screws, remove one grip panel at a time and see if the binding goes away. Hope you can figure it out and let us know what you find.

Buckmarks also have a plastic buffer under the "sight bridge" these can get beat to death and require replacement. Has the buffer fragmented and causing a bind within the slide?

I have three Buckmarks and if I don't keep those two top screws TIGHT I will begin to get malfunctions. Regards,

Nail

jtp0828
12-24-2012, 14:39
I smith on these all the time, and have had a lot of those issues. I have a 88' that I love but had slide issues too. Mine has the flat top screws holding it together. Clean the gun, check that the spring and guide are not bent that will cause binding, also too tight also will cause issues, and can lead to stripping. Keep us updated. Parts are cheap so if it looks beat up change it. Also make sure the barrel is seated correctly, and for all that is holy make sure its clean!

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

NailShooter
01-02-2013, 23:08
I smith on these all the time...... and for all that is holy make sure its clean!

I forgot to add that in either of my posts. A buddy has one and tried the cleaning trick which fixed his after it got good and dirtied up after 10K rounds or so.

Nail