most reliable Gen 3 Glock 17 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : most reliable Gen 3 Glock 17

dgposton
11-13-2012, 21:35
I'm looking at picking up a Gen 3 Glock 17 new. I was wondering if the current production G17's are as reliable as the old G17's of yore.

I have a 2009(?) Gen3 G19, and it is pretty reliable, although I've had occasional failure to ejects, seems it happens every 500-600 rds or so.

I've heard some negative stuff about the new Gen4 Glocks. I'm not planning to get a Gen4 anyway, I just wanted to make sure I don't end up with G17 that came from a bad run of Gen 3's.

Thanks!

J.B.
11-14-2012, 08:25
My Gen 3 17 hasn't had any failures but I only have about 150 rounds through it. It does like to sling brass at my dome 1-2 times a mag, has a test fire date of August 2012.

SJ 40
11-14-2012, 08:29
The best Glocks are vintage Glocks,JMO. SJ 40

CigarandScotch
11-14-2012, 09:22
There are still some out there NIB from earlier production years. I bought mine new over a year ago and it is from late 2001 (from a friend with his FFL and lots of items just waiting to be sold or traded). Most reliable pistol I have ever owned. I would ask around, and try to find an individual rather than a shop that buys/sells/trades lots of Glocks. It shouldn't be too hard.

dgposton
11-14-2012, 21:42
There are still some out there NIB from earlier production years. I bought mine new over a year ago and it is from late 2001 (from a friend with his FFL and lots of items just waiting to be sold or traded). Most reliable pistol I have ever owned. I would ask around, and try to find an individual rather than a shop that buys/sells/trades lots of Glocks. It shouldn't be too hard.

How are the older ones better? Are there certain years to get and to avoid?

bac1023
11-14-2012, 22:51
My Glocks are from the mid 2000s and I'm very happy with them.

INEEDMILK
11-14-2012, 22:55
Anything before mid 2010 should be fine. Any serial number preceding PPP.

Fordtough25
11-15-2012, 06:51
My 17 is from mid '09 and it runs great! Love it.

Bruce M
11-15-2012, 10:00
Mine are from late 2009/early 2010 and have been fine also.

Sammael
11-15-2012, 10:18
Peronally, I won't buy anything past the M** serial number range, particularly in 9mm - for now, at least.

INEEDMILK
11-15-2012, 13:14
Peronally, I won't buy anything past the M** serial number range, particularly in 9mm - for now, at least.

Why M**?

Sammael
11-15-2012, 14:22
The M** serial range coincides with the date range of 2008-2009.

I have owned several problematic Glocks post-2009. Every Glock I have owned with a pre-M** serial has been without issue, and boringly reliable.

I don't mind 'range-only guns', or 'project guns'. I don't mind tinkering, but that's not what I buy a Glock for. Speaking only for myself, Glocks are used for one thing, and one thing only: A dependable firearm that you can bet your life on - every time.

In my personal experience, the recent production Glocks are simply not as rock-solid as those pre-dating them. Not to say that Glock cannot or has not started producing weapons of that stature again - but for my money, I will look purchase an older Glock over a newer one every time. Why? Because I KNOW it will work as intended.

This is not to imply that the majority of new Glocks don't function just fine - most of them do.

I currently own a Gen4 G21 that is possibly my favorite Glock of all... but I will certainly go with something I know for sure over a maybe/maybe not situation any day of the week. Hope this helps clear things up a bit.

INEEDMILK
11-15-2012, 14:43
What were some problems you ran into in the post-M** Glock line?

What changed post-M**?

I always thought that the problems started in mid 2010 when Glock switched to the cheapass MIM stuff.

AK47Man
11-15-2012, 14:48
Got mine this past Sept 6th...DOM of July 2012..It is awesome..!! I wanted a new Gen 3 G17 because the other five Glocks I own are all Gen 3's...New in the box...$479.00

SJ 40
11-15-2012, 14:55
The M** serial range coincides with the date range of 2008-2009.

I have owned several problematic Glocks post-2009. Every Glock I have owned with a pre-M** serial has been without isuue, and boringly reliable.

I don't mind 'range-only guns', or 'project guns'. I don't mind tinkering, but that's not what I buy a Glock for. Speaking only for myself, Glocks are used for one thing, and one thing only: A dependable firearm that you can bet your life on - every time.

In my personal experience, the recent production Glocks are simply not as rock-solid as those pre-dating them. Not to say that Glock cannot or has not started producing weapons of that stature again - but for my money, I will look purchase an older Glock over a newer one every time. Why? Because I KNOW it will work as intended.

This is not to imply that the majority of new Glocks don't function just fine - most of them do.

I currently own a Gen4 G21 that is possibly my favorite Glock of all... but I will certainly go with something I know for sure over a maybe/maybe not situation any day of the week. Hope this helps clear things up a bit.I am not even that trusting of Glock.
I know for myself I am not interested in any product Glock produced after 12/06 which coincides with serial number prefix KSC,then their is the E serial number range frame recall exception.
Their is much useful information in the serial number research project.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1287557

SJ 40

Sammael
11-15-2012, 14:59
What were some problems you ran into in the post-M** Glock line?

BTF & FTE mostly.

What changed post-M**?

For the technical answer, I suppose you would have to ask Glock. All I can tell you is that identical models (We'll use G19s as an example) behaved differently.

It's not so much a 'magical date' when Glocks started having problems, it's just a personal guideline that I use for myself.

I always thought that the problems started in mid 2010 when Glock switched to the cheapass MIM stuff.

I'm sure you are correct about the MIM stuff. I am unsure of the actual date of the switch from investment cast blocks, pins, and extractors, but I tend to err on the side of caution when it comes to these things. The M** is just a general rule for me - nothing concrete, nor is it a hard, fast rule. Early M** are 2008, late are 2009. I tend to not want anything past 2008 if I can help it. That being said, I have had some late M** series guns that worked just fine as well. Problems started for me with N** serials. YMMV.

tango44
11-15-2012, 15:09
G17 and G26 USA made and 100% reliable, no brass to the head also!

Bobbyhill
11-21-2012, 16:05
* I bought my G19RTF gen3 a few months ago. PB* series. Austrian made. Test fire date of November 2009. 1.500 rounds with no issues. Mostly pretty weak reloads that I use for competition. My G26 gen3 has a PC* series with same test fire date, November 2009. Great gun and no issues. Eats all kind of ammo. I also have a G23 gen4 PW* series Austrian made. Test fire date of July 2010. This gun gives me the occasional BTF and a few erratic ejections to the left. It does not bother me that much though. It has the 0-3 RSA, I am thinking of upgrading the RSA to the 0-3-3 RSA and see if it gets better. If not I will get an old non dipped extractor. So I tend to believe that most of the ejection problems started out sometimes in 2010. So series number before PP* seems, at least based on my experience, to be working very good. Maybe it would be an idea to start a new thread to find out around what series number the ejection problems gen3 and gen4 were manufactured.

HKLovingIT
11-21-2012, 19:36

Me too.

All my "new" G17s Gen 3s will be H-L from now on, or Gen 2s. I'm a sucker for a clean looking Gen 2.

SJ 40
11-21-2012, 19:43
Me too.

All my "new" G17s Gen 3s will be H-L from now on, or Gen 2s. I'm a sucker for a clean looking Gen 2.One would be hard pressed to beat a decent Gen 2, the Glocks that made Glock what it once was. SJ 40

HEXE9
11-21-2012, 23:43
I know for myself I am not interested in any product Glock produced after 12/06...

You must be a relative Glock newbie.

Over the past 2.5 decades Glock has had to iron out many many different issues.

Your hokey pre-2006 theory is the biggest load of unscientific crap I've ever read. It shows you haven't spent much trigger time with Glocks throughout their evolution.

JMHO.

SJ 40
11-22-2012, 07:29
You must be a relative Glock newbie.

Over the past 2.5 decades Glock has had to iron out many many different issues.

Your hokey pre-2006 theory is the biggest load of unscientific crap I've ever read. It shows you haven't spent much trigger time with Glocks throughout their evolution.

JMHO.Ya I'm a newbie to Glocks the first Glock I purchased was in 1987. Yes Glock like any other manufacturing company has had their problems.

We both have our theories, I know that all of my Glocks pre 12/06 function with as close to what is humanly possible, Perfection. SJ 40