LEO Jobs Florida [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : LEO Jobs Florida

wolf19r
11-13-2012, 21:52
So, GT's LEO community, I am a 24, police academy graduate, B.A. degree in criminal justice and applying all over to no avail. I know that police work is a hard trade to get into and the economy isn't great. But I have got to be missing something here. Any and all advise, knowledge of departments that are hiring, comments, etc... are appreciated. Thanks

BlackPaladin
11-13-2012, 23:07
Law enforcement job seeking is the most discouraging type of job seeking possible. Not great pay, the worst hours possible, high stress (usually) and yet harder to get into than getting hired on as a heart surgeon.

I have tried to move laterally as of recently and find things equally discouraging. I have no advise either, good luck though!

Sgt127
11-14-2012, 06:01
You willing to move? You may up your odds considerably.

Good luck.

Ruprect
11-14-2012, 06:50

Good luck.

+1

Nashville, TN has been, is and will be hiring like crazy due to a lot of folks retiring right now.

Jon_R
11-14-2012, 06:53
Not an officer.

I know two people in Brevard County FL that finished the academy and failed to find a job before their academy training expired. They where even trying to get their foot in the door as a reserve or volunteer officer and could not. The bigger cities in the state would be my guess who is hiring. Locally I have not heard of anything but it is near impossible to find an opening.

Not sure what it cost them to go through the academy. Seems odd the academy would crank out people in great excess of the need for officers in the state. I don't think your time spent in the academy has much economic value outside of FL Law Enforcement and even then I think the FHP has their own academy.

Good luck.

With your BA have you thought going federal? They never run out of money. :whistling:

BSG62
11-14-2012, 07:50

Good luck.

+2.

Be willing to relocate. I was, and it got me in the door. Also, check usajobs.gov regularly. Some Federal positions aren't too hard to get in to.

packsaddle
11-14-2012, 08:29
come to texas.

we have over 10 pages of jobs AND we voted against obama.

http://tml.associationcareernetwork.com/JobSeeker/JobList.aspx?cabbr=TML

wolf19r
11-14-2012, 08:34
I'm willing to move, I would leave tomorrow with an offer. Thanks for the out of state ideas. I hope my training would carry over for the most part even if I had to take more in another state. As for the feds I didn't look to deep into that but I'll look now. Thanks for the info.

CJStudent
11-14-2012, 09:24
I'm willing to move, I would leave tomorrow with an offer. Thanks for the out of state ideas. I hope my training would carry over for the most part even if I had to take more in another state. As for the feds I didn't look to deep into that but I'll look now. Thanks for the info.

If you're willing to work inside the fence, my agency (Federal Bureau of Prisons) is just about always hiring. Good pay and benefits, too.

IGotIt
11-14-2012, 09:28
North Port PD had an ad in the paper about a week ago, also check Hillsborough County Sheriff Dept.

ldrichard
11-14-2012, 10:15
I live in Jacksonville, north Florida, and they have laid off a considerable number of LEOs due to budget cuts.

Most of these folks are flooding neadby cities and counties looking for work.

+1 od the federal side though.

Good luck...we need all the good LEOs we can get.

Bruce M
11-14-2012, 12:48
http://www.miami-police.org/careers.html

Cochese
11-14-2012, 19:15
I was gonna go check Officer.com but evidently I got banned for "insulting" some assclown who has 18,34345465,543456456 posts and carte blanche to talk **** to everyone else. :rofl:

trdvet
11-14-2012, 20:02

Always keep your options open, look into fire departments too.

South Fla
11-14-2012, 20:17
So, GT's LEO community, I am a 24, police academy graduate, B.A. degree in criminal justice and applying all over to no avail. I know that police work is a hard trade to get into and the economy isn't great. But I have got to be missing something here. Any and all advise, knowledge of departments that are hiring, comments, etc... are appreciated. Thanks

Do you have military experience?

That goes a looooong way these days.

vanilla_gorilla
11-15-2012, 05:32
I can tell you one big reason why it's so difficult to find a job in Florida: academy grads. In my rural area (with one big city in the middle), there are roughly 100 cop jobs coming up per year. during that same year, our one LE academy will turn out probably 200 grads. There are two smaller academies not too far away that will probably produce another 50-100 per year, each. See where I'm going with this?

It took me almost three years after graduation to find a job.

rdrkt
11-15-2012, 14:07
http://www.bpdrecruit.com/

Wait for a recruiting weekend. You can literally start the process and get hired in 5-6 days.

Mayhem like Me
11-15-2012, 16:59
Hit South Florida..turnover is high and the larger agencies are always hiring..try the coast from Brevard down....Great looking real estate on two legs that whole area....for a young single guy it's a slice of paradise...

fran m
11-15-2012, 19:17
I do some recruitment for a PD outside Phila. I saw two different academy classes recently, One this week, one last week and will be going to another on Monday. All are run by area colleges. They all pump out too many recruits, way more than there are available jobs. One of the classes has 53. Only one or two had been hired. The other had about 45, 7 had already been hired, 6 at the same department.

Too much supply. It is a moneymaker for the colleges and possibly the county that sponsors the academies.

I see the same thing at a Forensics program at a nearby college. They're pumpin em out. There are really not that many jobs available and once someone gets a job that slot is filled for a long time.

Good luck. Hope your wish comes true.

wolf19r
11-18-2012, 10:12
Thanks for all the info I'll look into south Fl and fed jobs.

Moravia
11-18-2012, 17:28
http://www.bpdrecruit.com/

Wait for a recruiting weekend. You can literally start the process and get hired in 5-6 days.

+1

If you are willing to move, BPD is hiring all the time.

Hack
11-19-2012, 11:54
Feds hire all the time. Military civilian police might take you in Florida. BOP has places that are short handed nationwide where they are having a hard time finding employees. Military is good for later civilian employment.

Sent from my communicator.

BigSpenda864
11-19-2012, 13:24
I have to agree with the others who advise to look out of state. The problem states like FL have is that you can just sign up and go to the academy without agency sponsorship or having a job already lined up. Here in SC there is only one academy and everyone (except the SCHP) go to the same place. Also, the agencies themselves send you to the academy, so there aren't any grads who don't have jobs.

I know plenty of people around the southeast with various departments. You need to be flexible until you find that first job. It is easier to switch from one department to another than for an agency to take a chance on someone with no background/experience.

Like others mentioned, Baltimore is always hiring. I believe Atlanta PD (and there are several large county police agencies in the same area) is hiring. There are several police departments in SC hiring but the money ain't great here. If you can find a department with openings in a place like SC, you don't have to pay your own way through an academy either.

BigSpenda864
11-19-2012, 13:26
Also, I have had friends who worked as LEO's here in SC who eventually moved to FL after finding a job there.

blueiron
11-19-2012, 13:54
I do some recruitment for a PD outside Phila. I saw two different academy classes recently, One this week, one last week and will be going to another on Monday. All are run by area colleges. They all pump out too many recruits, way more than there are available jobs. One of the classes has 53. Only one or two had been hired. The other had about 45, 7 had already been hired, 6 at the same department.

Too much supply. It is a moneymaker for the colleges and possibly the county that sponsors the academies...

Arizona POST allowed self sponsored academies and now the same problem exists here. Young people attend and graduate thinking that they are going to be automatic shoo-ins for hiring. They find out too late that they aren't because the minimal standards for academy attendance are less that what the usual hiring standards are.

The community colleges are all too willing to further the promise of employment for a financial cut of VA benefits or guaranteed student loans. AZPOST likes it because they don't have to subsidize the students to a significant degree.

They need to return to requiring an agency that has done the work to hire them as full time or reserve officers.

KommieforniaGlocker
11-20-2012, 11:57

http://www.hcso.tampa.fl.us/Careers.aspx

http://www.tampagov.net/appl_personnel_job_openings/?cscRedirectID=229

http://cityofnewportrichey.org/DocumentCenter/Home/View/6

http://www.usfpd.usf.edu/employment/employment.asp

All I can think of...But best of luck to you, out here we are quite away from Jax and I am not sure about pay, but cost of living is very reasonable.

wolf19r
11-20-2012, 21:14
Thanks to all of GT for your knowledge and help. I just got shot down again this week from a PD for being under qualified. But the search goes on! I will look into all the places y'all have suggested in state, out of state and federal. I will keep y'all posted as to my out come and hopefully will be a LEO soon!

Metro566
11-20-2012, 21:55
If all else fails, go to Texas. A good buddy and former shift partner left for Texas and when he applied to his agency, his recruiter told him they needed to fill 76 positions and they would be lucky if they filled 30 of them. He said they don't have enough quality applicants and it's better for them to run short than push people through who shouldn't ever be cops.