My build experience / 6920's 6.8 big brother [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : My build experience / 6920's 6.8 big brother

floorburn_21
11-14-2012, 23:32
So, about mid June I got married and used some of the money we had left over to buy my first black rifle. I bought the Colt LE6920 that is in the bottom of my picture. I didn't plan on spending that much on my first AR but I figured buy once cry once. After adding an Eotech 512, Vickers padded sling, IWC mounts/Triglide, Magpul AFG2, an enhanced butt pad, a Noveske sling plate adapter, and eventually a riser for the Eotech from YHM, I was done.

Fast forward to late August and now I'm thinking I want an AR variant to hunt deer with. I asked some questions about a 300 Blackout build but quickly get directed to 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 SPC. I went with 6.8 after some research and started my search for where I would buy an upper from. My plan was for after tax returns but the wife gave me a couple hundred bucks for my birthday and early xmas as she knew I wanted it. I didn't need two lowers too right?

I ordered my upper 10/14 from Ben at Bison Armory out of Washington and sent my Postal MO out. It was on my doorstep by 11/01 and it was gorgeous. Ben helped me save some money and (after an unexpected OT shift $$$) I decided to by a stripped lower from him by 11/04. It arrived at my FFL today and my LBK from Palmetto State Armory got here too. Bison had AMAZING customer service. Calls were better than emails but both were answered. Quality was top notch as I expect when I am spending my money. I would recommend Ben and Bison Armory to anyone who can wait the extra couple days it takes to get their orders filled versus a bigger company's speed.

Palmetto State was a miss for me as everyone around here said it could be as well. I ordered a lower build kit, as well as a replacement spring kit and replacement pin kit for my gun box. It took 6 days for them to email me saying my pin kit was back ordered. On day 9 my order still wasn't shipped but now my lower build kit was on sale for $30 cheaper. I emailed customer service asking them to honor the sale price or cancel my order so I could reorder it. I never got a response but the next day my order shipped and got here today.My pin kit was not in my package. My order says fulfilled on their site. I started putting my lower together to realize they did not include a screw to attach the pistol grip screw with. I emailed them but have not heard back and honestly at this point don't expect to. I ordered one from Midway in the event my local hardware store doesn't have a 4x28x1 when I swing over there tomorrow. I guess I have been spoiled with all my orders from Brownells, Midway, Natchezz, Primary Arms, Hamlund Tactical, and even Amazon to name a few, being shipped within a day or two and being filled correctly. I could understand the long wait times and even them not honoring the lower price had I got what I needed and had some communication. The pricing was a bit better than others, but barely, and if I was going to order again knowing what I know now, I would order somewhere else.

I hope my comments send people to the right places as they work on their builds. I greatly enjoyed putting my lower together myself.
I used this tutorial:
How to Assemble an AR-15 Lower Receiver - YouTube

http://i.imgur.com/RWX9y.jpg

floorburn_21
11-14-2012, 23:38
Hanging out in the tree before my lower assembly:
http://i.imgur.com/KrTEY.jpg

Parts LIST:

Bison Armory Upper Receiver
Bison Armory 18" Recon Barrel Cerakote Magpul Dark Earth
YHM Customizable Free Float Forearm, Rifle Length
YHM 3 Inch Rail for Customizable Forearm System
YHM 4 Inch Rail for Customizable Forearm System
Magpul Ladder Rail Protector Fde x2
Bison Low Pro Gas Block
Bison Gas Tube
Stag Bolt
BCM Gunfighter Medium Charging Handle
YM Phosphate Carrier (staked)
YHM Phantom 5C2 .308 compensator
Magpul (AFG2) Angled Foregrip, Flat Dark Earth
Daniel Defense QD rail mount offset sling swivel attachment point ( I will be replacing as I don’t like the bulky design)
SWFA S.S.A.L.T. 30mm Scope Mount

Nikon ProStaff 3-9 x 40 Black Matte Riflescope (BDC)

Bison Armory BR-15 Forged Lower Receiver
Palmetto State Armory STR Lower Build Kit
Magpul Enhanced Rubber Buttpad, Black

Magazine ASC 6.8 SPC 17Rd Stainless Steel Black
Magazine ASC 6.8 SPC 10Rd Stainless Steel Black
And of course some cheap ammo (by 6.8 standards) and a couple of boxes of

6.8mm SPC 85gr Nosler ETIP TACTICAL LOAD for hunting. Depending on how these do I’ll consider going to the Barnes 95gr TTSX

Cost me about 1300 plus ammo. I priced it out and with the discounts and deals I made it should have ran about 1650 so I am glad I bought everything the way I did. Also, big nod to Ben at Bison Armory for saving some random guy a couple bucks.

bigmoney890
11-14-2012, 23:51
Congrats!!!

Primary Arms was a miss for me as everyone around here said it could be as well.

I guess I have been spoiled with all my orders from Brownells, Midway, Natchezz, Primary Arms, Hamlund Tactical, and even Amazon to name a few, being shipped within a day or two and being filled correctly.

Did you mean to say that Palmetto State Armory was a miss?

floorburn_21
11-14-2012, 23:52
Congrats!!!

Did you mean to say that Palmetto State Armory was a miss?

Yup, I'll fix that :whistling:

LA_357SIG
11-15-2012, 22:24
I had a Bison Armory build years ago when I was into 6.8SPC. I am glad to hear that his Customer Service is still as stellar as it was back when I dealt with him.

floorburn_21
11-15-2012, 23:24
Palmetto's email back was very brief. "we're very sorry about your missing items and will ship them out soon." I'm sure midway will have it here sooner and they didn't even mess it up in the first place.

JimIsland
12-07-2012, 08:23
Very nice build.I just recently built a 6.8SPC myself. Pretty badass little round that is pretty versatile.