Cops: The Most Arresting Show on Television [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Cops: The Most Arresting Show on Television

ronduke
11-15-2012, 14:36
With its reggae theme song and its unvarnished premise, "Cops" remains the TV public's portal to the raw world of street crime, even as competing shows and changes in law enforcement have made the show harder to produce. Its 25th season on Fox will be its last, but the show's creator wants to keep it going on cable.

http://live.wsj.com/video/cops-the-most-arresting-show-on-television/A427D487-DD74-46EA-B4EF-8C2421F18AFA.html#!A427D487-DD74-46EA-B4EF-8C2421F18AFA

TK-421
11-15-2012, 14:44
Well, it certainly will suck if they don't make any new episodes of it. Sure would be nice if they move over to cable though. But, if nothing else, with 25 seasons, they'll have years and years worth of re-runs.

blueiron
11-15-2012, 15:32
You would think that after 25 years, everyone with a mullet and wearing a wifebeater would be off the street by now... No such luck.

Kingarthurhk
11-15-2012, 17:12
I hate that show. When I was first married and in the Border Patrol, part of what we did was highway patrol looking for loads of illegal aliens and drugs. That meant pulling vehicles that you could articulate looked suspicious for legimate reasons.

When I was on a day shift, I would come home and my wife wanted to watch Cops. That was that last thing I wanted to think about after all day of that crap. So my memory was a 10+ hour day of working only to have my wife want to watch more law enforcement stuff. I wanted to relax and not think about the job before I had to go and do it again. When I am off, I like to be off.

Bruce M
11-15-2012, 17:31
Some years back they had a commercial for Cops that had an average disgruntled looking officer. Hr got splashed by a passing car and I think tore his trousers on a fence and kept saying that he hates this job. The ending of the commercial had him settling down in his chair at home opening a beer and saying to the effect his favorite show was on and then his TV played the Bad Boys song.

blueiron
11-15-2012, 17:48
When I am off, I like to be off.

That was me. I loved the old TV shows and movies before I came a cop. Once I became one, I just could stomach Cops, Miami Vice, and anything since.

It was the same with the military. I walked out of Heartbreak Ridge after about 15 minutes.

scottydl
11-15-2012, 23:33
I like Cops. That theme is downright iconic, I mean everyone and their distant relatives immediately recognize the tune. Always did, before and since I've been on the job (~11 years). As far as "reality" shows go, it was one of the originals if not the first. Of course the snippets are heavily edited at times, but there are a lot of lessons (both good and bad) for officers to learn by watching.

I'd say the only thing I don't like about the show is that it obviously made the term "Cop" an everyday household term. We even call ourselves that now ("Cop Talk" anyone?) and don't think much about it. A professor I had during my CJ degree required that we refer to sworn personnel as "police officers" in his class, and no slang terms. It is much more professional that way.

Sharkey
11-16-2012, 09:09
I never minded watching it despite working patrol. I would yell at the tv a time or two.

I think it has done a lot of good in giving folks a view into our world. As for cops or police officer, the three letter word never bothered me. I know I'm professional. I call my physician Doc, and he doesn't seem to mind.

Ftttu
11-16-2012, 13:53
I will watch it once or twice every month or two. I used to be an avid viewer, but everything gets old after a while. Still, the footage is great for training.

As I have posted before, they rode with us in '94. They didn't use any of our footage, but they did use our neighboring agency. During that, one of our officers was on.

Also, back in the '90's, this nudey club we would check played the song when we conducted a bar check. We didn't know if it was to be funny or to warn everyone we were there. Sounds pretty funny now but it was a pretty powerful statement due the the volume and bass of the club's sound system.